• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganondorf in Doubles

Lex Crunch

Smash Journeyman
I thought that perhaps Ganondorf needed a guide or discussion on his applications and overall usefulness in teams. I figure he would do very well, given that he does so much freakin' damage and can kill while it seems many of his hindrances are either reduced or nullified with someone else for the opposition to be watching.

Perhaps it would be much better explained by those who have actually used Ganon in teams...

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Ganondorf's advantages in teams are pretty obvious.

Having ridiculous power makes you good with team combos. Ganoncides are a LOT more useful in teams (watch Sliq play Ganon in teams. He makes good use of this). While your partner is still alive, you're also less likely to get gimped, meaning you'll survive a bit longer in teams (not accounting for how quickly you may be taking damage).

Really situational, but also a possibility, Ganondorf's U-tilt has momentum canceling properties, which I assume could be used for saving teammates. Not that you'll ever do it. Just saying it's possible.

The main problem with using Ganondorf in teams is that you're definitely relying on team support to lessen the impact of your bad 1v1 matchups. If your teammate gets killed off and you're in a 2v1 situation, you're obviously screwed (well, a lot of people get screwed, just it's more blatantly obvious with Ganondorf).

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Really situational, but also a possibility, Ganondorf's U-tilt has momentum canceling properties, which I assume could be used for saving teammates. Not that you'll ever do it. Just saying it's possible.
Ye, it could save your teamate.
However, never attempt it if you know he will survive on his own. It's way too risky.

My favourite Team Saver is Nair.

I've tried Aerudo Saves as well, but it isn't very practical due the very small area it covers.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
I absolutely ADORE having Ganon as a team mate while using Jiggs. Jigglypuff is more or less a support character in doubles, and having a partner who ALWAYS has a kill option allows her to abuse Fair and only worry about damage dealing and gimping. Uair is a great partner saving move and she can allow her partner to footstool her without dying (usually).

Edit: Gerudo Rest LOLOL

Superspright

Smash Lord
If you have good coordination and good spacing with a fellow ganon user then you can do some incredible stuff. Whenever someone gets gerudo'd then they have to worry about TWO ganons stomp chasing them. Breaking shields is much easier with two ganons if they can apply a lot of pressure. Or if one goes for a utilt, then the other goes for a thunderstorm during the shieldstun--viola. Broken shield. That's hard though, but it will break it.

stRIP

Smash Ace
I will team in a tourney together with the 2nd best Ganon of Germany

AND! we will ****. We even got our own team combo, and believe me, ITS 2 FKIN GOOD

A17

Smash Ace
NNID
Okrapaeli
My favorite partner in doubles would be Falco, especially if you get them down to 2 vs. 1.

Gerudo to Lazor Lock to Warlock Punch lol
that what i had in mind, something that'll hold or setup an ooponent by your partner into a warlock punch.

CG into a warlock? lol
I was thinking more of a weak-f throw into the backfist.

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
It's true that that Ganon has a lot of tricksies in doubles, but in a practical 2v2 match, it's tough to be successful with him because he'll inadvertently take so much damage from being so big. Not to mention that he will still get gimped like a mofo.

:034:

Superspright

Smash Lord
If anyone wants double ganondorf to be good in doubles, then someone needs to make some sort of crazy metagame for him. I am sure that they can have potentially lethal combos. They have too many options of forcing people onto and their throws would be perfect for setups into fairs or stomps. I just wonder what he might be capable of :O

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
ZSS: I've got the sexy if you've got the beast. ;)
Ganon: :flame:

*~*~*~
I like the idea of having a Wario partner. I'm not... really sure why.

Jiggs seems like you'd get even more gayed for both your weaknesses. :ohwell:

Double Ganon I have no doubt they have trap setups. Stomping, two-pronged shield pressure... imagine timing a Gerudo with WizKick right behind it? :******:

Raikou_Cypher

Smash Cadet
this weekend i'll be teaming up with my mate who mains Marth, how do you guys think that team would work?
Marth, hm? Marth is my favorite teammate with Ganon lol, but not for any practical reasons, only because he's a badass. It's kind of like pk-ow's thing with having wario for a partner I think. Aside from that, zamus is almost the polar opposite of ganon, being fast, light, and having no kill moves, whereas ganon is heavy, slow, and almost all of his attacks can kill. Zamus offers great support with her stun moves too. She locks someone with downsmash while Ganon uses something like utilt/ftilt/stomp/fair/fsmash/usmash/warlock punch...even dsmash works (might require some charge though). Off the top of my head, I think Snake and mgw would both be great partners with Ganon. Snake has an amazing projectile game, and mgw has an absorber, and multiple options for an approach.

GanonkingAbyss

Smash Apprentice
idk why, or if its good, but i really like teaming up w/zelda, a lot of her moves can hit both opponents at once and it seems to help w/combos, and zelda can easily build up damage so ganon can get earlier kills

fonzi21

Smash Ace
Ganon is a killer, Find a teammate that racks up damage and survives (I.E. doesn't get juggled easily and is quick ). Lucario, Falco, MK, G&W, Toon Link, Diddy Kong, Sonic, Wario.

Ganon gets the kills and just hits off other peoples Combo's. You are less likely gimped in a Team game, but you still want a teammate that can chase people off map in case you are put in a gimpable situation, not all of the above are good options for this, but they can. Your teammate needs to be the one on offense while you wait for the opponents to be distracted or bait spot dodges, air dodges or rolls.

Combo'ing with teammates, Falco is the best. Gerudo Laser lock is awesome you can do it when you knock one opponent off the map, 2v1's or when you just killed the other opponent, get the free F-smash or Warlock punch, easy kills. also his Chain grab is awesome for damage, Combo off it with Dair's also instead of Falco spiking him off the map you spike him, either jump over falco to spike or hang on the ledge and short hop the spike.
MK is good hit aerials when people pop up out of the tornado Fair and Bair work well. When MK gets someone off the map set up a defense wall to protect that side while MK does his gimping. People get careless when trying to help teammates so wait and punish. MK can also save you from getting gimped.
Diddy is awesome cause you can use Banana's he wracks damage amazingly and you get easy kills when they trip, he can keep opponents off you with banana's and he is quick and elusive.
Lucario just doesn't die lol his Fair can save you from gimps and he powers up if u start losing.
Toon link survives and wracks mad damage, people will get shield pressured big time from projectiles so you can get hits in easier.
Sonic, doesn't die faster then hell wracks serious damage.
Wario and G&W both can kill and wrack damage as well as survive they are great teammates.

These are just some Idea's. I have used Ganon in teams at tournaments before and done quite well. Avoid heavier teammates like Snake and D3 they get combo'ed easily and u can't chase to help them.

Control the center of the map with Ganon, let your teammate be offensive and chase opponents, learn to pin them onto sides of the map so you can predict rolls into Dair's. Gerudo's work well in team's you can chain choke and even bait teammates into your attacks because they will run to help their teammate. plus you get super armor on the grab lol. Stick to quick moves I.E. jabs and tilt's and your faster aerial's. no need to charge smashes or anything cause you can kill teammates.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Ganon really needs someone that can cover ground fast (and hopefully also builds damage quickly), b/c that way they can come to your rescue whenever you start getting juggled or people try to gimp you.

However, I think he works perfectly fine in teams (even moreso in low tier teams).

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I guess I'll just post my Ganondorf doubles vids in here, b/c they don't really need to be critiqued or anything.

PX/Expy vs Fox and Falco/Pit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1j3EW6ThAM&feature=channel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydxgeX6bP0g&feature=channel_page

PX/Espy vs KPrime (Pika)/Suspect(Luigi)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XE4_Fa5N30&feature=channel_page Round 2

PX/Espy vs Lucas/Kirby
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag7sZhJZcaU&feature=channel_page

PX/Espy vs Nike/Yuki
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soT4duEIPRw&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1-9-jNkv94&feature=channel_page (I'm the light Ganon)

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Dude, that round was hilarious. I love it when random Warlock punches connect.

I didn't notice this until I watched them, but apparently I find it wiser to hold back a little bit and then wait for stuff to happen and then punish everything and everyone.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Question:

Does the game's behaviour change from Team Battle with Team attack ON if you just... play a 4-for-all?

Couldn't a tournament just arbitrate a little bit outside what the win screen says, and then let people use whatever costumes they like in team formats?

If it goes to sudden death with someone from one team and someone from the other, then you know what that would have been in team battle. If everyone dies but one guy from a team, and that guy wins, then in team battle his team would have won, so just... say that.

Any difference? Assuming stock obviously. Points are different in time mode.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
D'oh.
So close. :ouch:

But I could theoretically hold the event then. There just wouldn't be share stock.
It's a sensible system in its own right.

Sudden Death isn't played out anyway. :ohwell: *shrug*

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Ganondorf's not as good in doubles as you guys are saying. He's better at doubles than in singles, ofcourse, but that's just because he's the worst character in singles.

Superspright

Smash Lord
Luigi + Ganon =

Gerudo to UPPER CUT! All. Day.

I think Ganon has synergy with a few characters in regards to his ability to slow the game down with his gerudo and stomp game. People with exceptionally fast KO abilities like Jigs, Luigi or just people who know how to chase Ganon's stuff can do incredible damage--two ganons who can techchase and stompchase eachother's opponents can be extremely deadly if they have great spacing.

But, he still does suck I guess.

Breezy

Smash Ace
Kirby is SUCH a good temmate for Ganon it's not even funny. Just team with a good kirby and, well... just ****ing do it.

napZzz

Smash Hero
Kirby is SUCH a good temmate for Ganon it's not even funny. Just team with a good kirby and, well... just ****ing do it.

some of the thing this guy did with a good kirby was ubelievable. Like I saw 0-death combos and other crazy ****.

he speaks the truth

Superspright

Smash Lord
How so? I mean, if the snake knew how to plant C4's all over and use good grenade play I can see how chokes and dthrows could lead into massive techchase destruction. But uh, I never seen that in doubles play really.

Breezy

Smash Ace
How so? I mean, if the snake knew how to plant C4's all over and use good grenade play I can see how chokes and dthrows could lead into massive techchase destruction. But uh, I never seen that in doubles play really.
We won with that team, that's gotta be proof enough right there. Sure, the midwest isn't an AMAZING region, but it's got it's fair share of tough cookies. We never even lost a set. We also 2-0'd most of our competition. I think we had one set that was 2-1, WF was 3-1, and GF was 3-2.

EDIT: We got videos that are gunna be put up soon (hopefully) so I'll post the link to those so you can see how we got in everyone's *** (although I'm pretty sure only one set got recorded and it was just a normal bracket set)

Breezy

Smash Ace
If it's the set I'm thinking of, it's not all that epic. I sd at like 20%. But the we get like a Snake Ftilt to stomp spike combo right after

Top Bottom