• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganondorf Board's Question & Answer Thread.

:034:

Smash Hero
Teach Pokemon to understand
The power that's inside!

Anyway...
As probably the only Ganon mainer in the whole of Australia, who actually goes to tournaments, my goal is to get Ganon a few places higher in the character rankings list, get him above some characters like Mario, so maybe more playesr may play Ganon as they will see he isn't all that bad.

I like to play Ganon for the fact that he is the underdog, every fight is a challenge and more engaging and more fun then say playing MK or Snake where basic moves can win a match.
And as squirrely said, ganon spikes are the most gratifying move in the game.
To me having fun in smash, is getting as many spikes as possible.

Another big incentive for me to play Ganon is the lack of Ganon mainers across Australia. After coming first in a tournament with Ganon, i can now claim best in Aus with Ganon.
If i was playing Snake or another popular character i could not claim this title after winning 1 tournament. It would require multiple tournament wins, interstate challenges with other pro's etc.

And why else do i play ganon. Sparta kick, nuff said.
C-c-c-c-c-combo breaker

@HomE

Smash Ace
The power that's inside!

Anyway...
As probably the only Ganon mainer in the whole of Australia, who actually goes to tournaments, my goal is to get Ganon a few places higher in the character rankings list, get him above some characters like Mario, so maybe more playesr may play Ganon as they will see he isn't all that bad.

I like to play Ganon for the fact that he is the underdog, every fight is a challenge and more engaging and more fun then say playing MK or Snake where basic moves can win a match.

Another big incentive for me to play Ganon is the lack of Ganon mainers across Australia. After coming first in a tournament with Ganon, i can now claim best in Aus with Ganon.
If i was playing Snake or another popular character i could not claim this title after winning 1 tournament. It would require multiple tournament wins, interstate challenges with other pro's etc.

Honestly, Spikes are just amazing, my three mains DK, Ganon, and Falco all have amazing spikes, and thats a big reason why I play them.

And back to that question about what we want for Ganon..

I think most of us just want to get as good with Ganon as we possibly can...

probably with the ultimate goal of destroying top tier chars..

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
The power that's inside!

Anyway...

Ganon is probably the most fun charcter in Brawl to me, and as others have said, Ganon spikes are incredibly gratifying (as is just winning with the lord of all evil). Also, Ganon doubles are epic.

HOWEVER, while I don't want to completely demoralize you, there is no way Ganon will ever rise above Mario. Sorry, but it just isn't going to happen.

TP

Smash Master
Cute. But what's up with that cat?
There doesn't need to be a reason. It's a freaking cat.

New Pokemon related idea! Everybody, no matter who you are or what the rest of your post is about, keep this going.

:001:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
*GASP* Even I've used Ganon in tournies before! (Granted, only a few matches, and they didn't all end so well, but still...)

TP

Smash Master
Hey guys, I'm going to my first tournament! April 4th, a small thing in St. Louis. I will be maining ROB there. :(

On the other hand, Norfair is legal, so I will use Ganon whenever I need to CP. My ROB sucks at CPing. :)

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I've used Ganondorf in tournament but I still won't claim to maining him. =/

Better yet, I've landed his Up-tilt in a tournament match.

Ant1

Smash Ace

Lol i landed that on my brother and i think he was playing Lucario or Sonic.
As soon as i get it, i raise my hands in the air, basically saying 'bow to me' :D

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Hello Ganons,

First time poster here. I've got a question for all of the Ganon vets, for which I'd now like to provide a little context. For those who prefer it, a tl;dr (located at the bottom of this post) is appended.

I've lurked on the Ganon boards for a few months now, and I've read all of the excellent stickies (and many other useful threads, besides) several times over.

It's great to see that there's a close-knit community here writing guides and running tests and documenting emerging techniques for Ganon, in spite of the fact that the character is not a serious contender at competitions.
o0

You've all done a good bit of work. These boards have dutifully maintained guides (for newcomers and seasoned "Ganoneers" alike), a well constructed (and current) matchup thread, and a respectable video archive.

In fact, these boards are so well maintained that a newcomer might not realize (until he took a close look at the matchup thread) that Ganondorf is not, strictly speaking, "serious business."
Shut the **** up.

Which brings me to my question:

What is the community's goal for Ganon in competitive Smash?
To win games.
Now, TP said we'd have different responses to you. Mine is GTFO.

I don't understand this question. The answer is something you should expect. And that would be because it's the same everywhere: Get better.

I don't know what sort of conscious belief you had about this visit, but the only thing you are looking for, whether you know it or not, is some sort of visceral feeling of smugness or domination. I know; I have a little problem like that on another message board I visit, and I can tell what posts come from it.

Please. Meditate on what made you post here. Don't fear what you may find out. Try to recognize when something coming from you is not a contribution - accept when a thread can go without it - and I'll aspire with you.
EDIT: Questions by PM? Sorry, I meant to elaborate more.

Now,
Everyone, he's not wrong about representation. I can't believe I'm two tournaments Twilight Prince's senior. WTF?

And whats with a bunch of guys coming out now with "I don't actually main him"? (a) huh? and (b) from the description you gave, TP, you do main him. Use him the most? Practice the most? What else is there?
Heck, even now I leave Ness as he is on my user settings / sig because it looks nicer to me. By time and by comfort and by ability even, Ganon is my main right now.

Of course if you do pull ROB on the blind, TP, at that tourney, then you will be declaring. :ohwell:

TP

Smash Master
Everyone, he's not wrong about representation. I can't believe I'm two tournaments Twilight Prince's senior. WTF?

And whats with a bunch of guys coming out now with "I don't actually main him"? (a) huh? and (b) from the description you gave, TP, you do main him. Use him the most? Practice the most? What else is there?
Heck, even now I leave Ness as he is on my user settings / sig because it looks nicer to me. By time and by comfort and by ability even, Ganon is my main right now.

Of course if you do pull ROB on the blind, TP, at that tourney, then you will be declaring. :ohwell:
Interesting post, to say the least. I really wanna go mostly Ganon at the tourney, but there are people there who know me and have seen me play (and I beat them, though not by enough to overcome a difficult matchup). Nobody in St. Louis knows I picked up ROB 2 weeks ago. I might go Ganon anyway just because of the responses I'm getting here.

Ant1

Smash Ace
You can just go Ganondorf first match, and then counterpick if you lose. It's that simple.
I do kind of the opposite. As i haven't played a lot of the people who go to tourney's enough, i am unsure of how good they are so I'll pull out snake first then i will go Ganon to finish them off.

Quote from the organizer of Brawl tourney's in SA.
Smash Bros Brawl is very balanced and anyone can win with any character if your good with them just look at DJB and Ant SA's 2 best players and they use Sonic and Ganondorf so dont be discouraged if you charachter is near the bottom just keep practicing.

@TheKingofFuzz: Not a serious contender in competitions? yeah that's what they all thought, till they got their head pounded in by Ganons 10 ton boots. I beat the best Sonic player in Australia with Ganon, looks to me like he's a good contender.
Attitudes that say, Ganon can't win tournaments are the reason he's low in the character rankings list.

U don't have to go Ganon all they way, if the opposition pulls out MK, just use Snake for that round.
On a side note. There's a lot of crap players out there, barely any which would have played a pro Ganon.
I've beaten a spammy Falco, and i mean a real spammer (lasers, chaingrabs to spikes, roll dodges galore), and a campy snake. It's not impossible, just play Delfino or Norfair.

Don't be discourage people, even though the odds are against Ganon he will find a way t.o win.

HOWEVER, while I don't want to completely demoralize you, there is no way Ganon will ever rise above Mario. Sorry, but it just isn't going to happen.
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL Ganon is higher than Mario in the Character Rankings list. I told u it was possible. U guys should be thanking me. My win pushed Ganon above him hahahaha.

TP

Smash Master
OK guys, after reconsideration, I think I will be going primarily Ganon. I thought of two new reason why I need to go Ganon, not ROB:

1) I always do bad in high pressure situations. If my performance is gonna suffer, I better be the character I have practiced more, and thus am more consistent with.
2) I plan on making new friends to Brawl there. They are far more likely to be impressed by my Ganon than my ROB, even if my ROB wins more. Even though it's a tournament, I need to look to the future.

So it's all good guys. I'll be maining Ganon.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496

You sir, are my new god.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL Ganon is higher than Mario in the Character Rankings list. I told u it was possible. U guys should be thanking me. My win pushed Ganon above him hahahaha.
We're obviously not looking at the same tier list... I'm talking about the US tier list. I don't know if there are many Australians using Mario (If one win can push Ganon above Mario (he's what, 9 ranks lower on ours? Maybe more?), then probably not...), but yeah, tere is no way he'll move above Mario on our tier list.

EDIT: That's not a tier list... That's just a list saying who uses which characters, how often, and how often they place...

Don't get me wrong, I love both characters, and if I were good enough, I probably would main Ganon, but as a character, he has more limitations than Mario. Anyway, I'm not trying to start a debate here, so I'll just stop there.

Yeah TP! GL at the tourny! (Which one are you going to btw?)

TP

Smash Master
Yeah TP! GL at the tourny! (Which one are you going to btw?)
Aerial Rave. It isn't a big deal or anything. There is a Midwest-West Circuit Event in Missouri May 1-3, but I have 4 AP Tests to study for, so I must settle for this. :(

Ant1

Smash Ace
We're obviously not looking at the same tier list... I'm talking about the US tier list. I don't know if there are many Australians using Mario (If one win can push Ganon above Mario (he's what, 9 ranks lower on ours? Maybe more?), then probably not...), but yeah, tere is no way he'll move above Mario on our tier list.

EDIT: That's not a tier list... That's just a list saying who uses which characters, how often, and how often they place...
If u read my earlier post i never said i wanted Ganon higher than Mario in a tier list i said i wanted him higher on the character rankings list. is there even as Australian tier list?

1nconspikuous

Smash Apprentice
just a quick question, did anyone ever get a vid of someone doing that super FoG thing > overB murder choke on snake's cypher? (landing on the stage, not an SD)

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
If u read my earlier post i never said i wanted Ganon higher than Mario in a tier list i said i wanted him higher on the character rankings list. is there even as Australian tier list?
Ah... my bad then. Yeah, Ganon is too much fun to not be higher on that list.

Aerial Rave. It isn't a big deal or anything. There is a Midwest-West Circuit Event in Missouri May 1-3, but I have 4 AP Tests to study for, so I must settle for this. :(
I feel your pain... There's a midwest Circuit event less than 30 min away from here in a few weeks... The problem is that I'm moving away next Monday >.<

Sph34r

Smash Journeyman
Hi, noob question.

How do you get the dair to auto cancel? I'm assuming you just use it right after you short hop but that never works for me (or maybe I'm too slow).

Ant1

Smash Ace
Hi, noob question.

How do you get the dair to auto cancel? I'm assuming you just use it right after you short hop but that never works for me (or maybe I'm too slow).
If u are using a gamecube controller which u should be it is quite simple, but doing it repeatedly while jumping left to right can be difficult as u may pull out a b-air or f-air.

Hold Down on the control stick, and quickly press Y then A. This is done by sliding ur thumb along the two in 1 single motion.

Another way is to hold down control stick, tap y then quickly press C-stick down, this will prevent u from pulling our b-air if ur jumping all over the place, but it's kind of harder to use, so I'd stick with doing it the first way i said.
Sometimes when u pull out a b-air or f-air it can be to ur advantage, it can catch people off guard as they may think u are spamming d-air then a b-air comes out.

B!squick

Smash Master
...Wait, you want a ground attack... that spikes? O.o Is that even possible? I guess it is if you mean stage spiking...

@Sph34r

I was having trouble with auto canceling DAir too. Then I found out I needed Tap Jump on for UpB OoS to work right with Bowser. So then I tried Tap Jumping for AC Dair since I'd need it on for Bowser anyway, and it works perfectly (I use the C-Stick with this method). I can even do it in Brawl+ which is harder for some people.

weinner

Smash Apprentice
To the best of my knowledge, only one and it is situational. If Ganondorf connects a Flame Choke over the edge that is either occupied by another character or ungrabable (such as Summit) then the character will be spiked.

It's grounded and it spikes. So I believe it would count.

@JayDeth

Teronist09 probably means something like Ike's D-Tilt

Squirrely

Smash Journeyman
The short answer is no to ground attacks having spiking properties.
U-til explosion can stage spike if they get hit whilst under the stage as well as DA if they are offstage yet near and not above the edge.

Jab, f-tilt, d-tilt, d-smash, u-smash, and f-smash will always hit somewhere from straight sideways(f-tilt) to straight up(d-tilt).

stRIP

Smash Ace
Jab, f-tilt, d-tilt, d-smash, u-smash, and f-smash will always hit somewhere from straight sideways(f-tilt) to straight up(d-tilt).
You can spike with the first hit of the dsmash

My opponent was offstage, i was on the very edge, charged dsmash, he recovered to the edge, dsmash first hit landing, he got stagespiked

same at TL downsmash

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Irrelevant to the discussion but, thought you should know. USmash has some ledge hitting proprieties, it could strike almost anyone hanging on the ledge.

Squirrely

Smash Journeyman
You can spike with the first hit of the dsmash

My opponent was offstage, i was on the very edge, charged dsmash, he recovered to the edge, dsmash first hit landing, he got stagespiked

same at TL downsmash
Really? Down smash can hit people hanging off the ledge?
That's news to me, I've tried this many times and never hit anyone.

Do you remember what stage it was? And against who?

I know TL's hugs the ground, Ganon's floats well in the air...

Top Bottom