• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda Ganon- Overused?

AngryMoblyn1881

Smash Journeyman
Ganondorf should lay in the darkness for a few years, then a killer Zelda trailer will show a "mysterious" figure at the end of the trailer....haha.

"OMG IT'S GANONDORFFFFF"
YES!!!!!!!!!! I like the way you think man :chuckle:

But personaly i think ganondorf is the only outstanding villan they have made. But thats just my opinion, i mean they really did try moving away from ganondorf in the ds games but i found the final bosses in both , quite the dissapointment.

So my awsome idea that i want nintendo to do is like make the latest part in the timeline and make the villan the son of ganondorf! that would be teh ****!

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
YES!!!!!!!!!! I like the way you think man :chuckle:

But personaly i think ganondorf is the only outstanding villan they have made. But thats just my opinion, i mean they really did try moving away from ganondorf in the ds games but i found the final bosses in both , quite the dissapointment.

So my awsome idea that i want nintendo to do is like make the latest part in the timeline and make the villan the son of ganondorf! that would be teh ****!
Way to bump a thread over a month old to give me a compliment!
yay!

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Okay, this stops now.

@The Good Doctor: Dude, he complimented you. Don't backseat mod, please.

@Moblyn: While it is usually a good idea to avoid bumping old threads, you bumped this one with something that was actually substantial and relevant, so I have no problem with it in this case :)

But yeah, please stop this argument now guys.

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
Okay, this stops now.

@The Good Doctor: Dude, he complimented you. Don't backseat mod, please.

@Moblyn: While it is usually a good idea to avoid bumping old threads, you bumped this one with something that was actually substantial and relevant, so I have no problem with it in this case :)

But yeah, please stop this argument now guys.
I was totally joking and giving general forum advice.
It's good etiquette to not bump old threads, i was passing the info along...
I wasn't trying to "back seat mod"

Spire

III
BRoomer
I was totally joking and giving general forum advice.
It's good etiquette to not bump old threads, i was passing the info along...
I wasn't trying to "back seat mod"
Joking? Look, we appreciate the desire to help, but we have our jobs for a reason. And as Skyler said, he was not doing a disservice to the thread by bumping it and posting appropriately. You however have not posted anything progressive, unlike AngryMoblyn. If the problem persists, PM either Skyler or me, or take it to Forum Support.

Thanks.

SuperScizor

Smash Cadet
I agree that Ganondorf didn't need to be in Twilight Princess. It seems like he was just tacked on as a last-minute afterthought just to please everyone who wanted him in the game. Which wasn't really necessary- Nintendo should just let the haters hate and let everyone else enjoy the story. Not only that, it doesn't make a lot of sense that Ganondorf was in TP. I can understand him coming back for Wind Waker because it took place hundreds, maybe thousands of years after Ocarina of Time. But it didn't really make a lot of sense that he came back after a few hundred years (Zelda makes more sense because she's a descendant of previous Zeldas.)

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
holy uptight mods.

personally, I would love to see monster pig Ganon as a villain, and no humanesque Gannondorf at all. It would be doubly cool to have them build up monster Ganon as the main villain only to reveal that this time he's the pawn of something else....

like Majora :D

Krypt222

Smash Cadet
personally, I would love to see monster pig Ganon as a villain, and no humanesque Gannondorf at all. It would be doubly cool to have them build up monster Ganon as the main villain only to reveal that this time he's the pawn of something else....
Yeah I would too.

The fact that Ganondorf never gives up is probably because being pwnd by a kid all the time must have wrecked his thinking process or something so maybe he doesnt know better. >> A Vaati reincarnation or just coming back all together would be kick arse cause Vaati was just friggin awesome! He has a storyline... whats Ganondorfs anyway?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I think Ganon is fine in every appearance he's made. There's always something interesting about his character, and he's very good at being a puppet master. Him showing up in Twilight Princess was very reflective of this I thought, because for a while, Zant was "that bad guy".

And with Ganon showing up, it was like "Oh ****, Ganon's been pulling the strings"

And I think Zelda games Heros/Villains are sort of like the Triforce as well (Obviously)

Link = Courage
Zelda = Wisdom
Ganon = Power

So if you have a Zelda game with two of them, it just doesn't feel complete without the third, especially in recent years.

And Ganon has showed up about as much as Bowser has, TBH and I don't think Bowser is overused at all.

And Ganon is definitely an epic villain, and every fight in recent years with him has been extremely epic. (I actually teared up a bit from the epicness of the OoT fight when I watched it the other day....yeah I know.)

Spire

III
BRoomer
holy uptight mods.

Hmm.. hmm..

Imagine this: Pig Ganon is using some pawn throughout the story, but both seem to be entirely separate antagonists and are introduced early on, but at separate times, and in entirely different fashions. As the story moves onward, you discover that Ganon has been pulling his minions strings, etc, etc, but perhaps 1/2 or 3/4 through the game, you actually encounter and defeat Ganon. Afterwards, you learn that his 'minion' was actually using him the entire time to rise to power. Since Ganon has been so vulnerable in the past, it'd be nice to see a game that makes use of this characteristic before the climax.

satowolf

Oppa Gundam Style
Hmm...what I can say about Ganon(dorf) is that he's just like a comic book villian.
He can appear as many times he wish, but if you don't improve on him the character can stifle.

Not like he has the choice.

What I remember is that Ganon, Link and Zelda will often be reincarnated since the trio have each fragment of the Triforce within them.
Link and Zelda cannot appear if there is no Ganon and vice versa.

I could be wrong, but that's how I see it xP

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
holy uptight mods.

I know rite!

I want to see Dr. Doom in a Zelda game......
It would be like....unbeatable....

Doom > Ganon

Spire

III
BRoomer
Hmm...what I can say about Ganon(dorf) is that he's just like a comic book villian.
He can appear as many times he wish, but if you don't improve on him the character can stifle.

Not like he has the choice.

What I remember is that Ganon, Link and Zelda will often be reincarnated since the trio have each fragment of the Triforce within them.
Link and Zelda cannot appear if there is no Ganon and vice versa.

I could be wrong, but that's how I see it xP
There was no Ganon in TMC, FS, or ST and those featured entirely new Links and Zeldas. But I do see your logic. For the most part, so long as Ganon is around, there will be a Link and Zelda. Though, this was not true in the time between OoT and WW. Ganon came back and there was no Link to save the land.

MattV1

Smash Apprentice
Ganon has only been in 6 Zelda games by my count. LoZ, ALttP, Ocarina, TWW, TP, and FSA. Seven, if you want to count the linked game in Oracles. That's seven out of fifteen, less than half. If anything, Ganon isn't used enough. He's the principal bad guy in the series and shouldn't be left out just because "Huurrr duuurrr overused." It's like Mario without Bowser. It's like Castlevania without Dracula. Ganon is as much a huge part of the series as Link or Zelda.

Nintendo showed us that, if they wanted to, then can actual make Ganon interesting, ala The Wind Waker. In games where he just sort of shows up (FSA, Oracles, TP) it's understandable he has no real personality. Even still, his pen-ultimate speech in TP was awesome, right before you fight Puppet Zelda. TWW showed us a Ganon who has been defeated and had time to reflect. TP showed us a Ganon who has never lost, and survived death itself. Meanwhile Ocarina showed us the "younger" Ganon who was confident in his abilities, and thus, he underestimated Link. In LoZ, Ganon was just this evil looming presence, and for a game that simplistic, it's all he had to be.

So long as they give Ganon a more fleshed out personality I'd love to see him return time and time again. Let's face it, today people demand compelling plots, and therefore they want compelling villains. Yes, he was out of left field in TP, and Zant received the character development being seen as the "final boss" for much of the game. But I feel that if Ganon is shown to us early on and we know he is a clear and present danger, than Nintendo could really make him interesting.

Krypt222

Smash Cadet
Link = Courage
Zelda = Wisdom
Ganon = Power

So if you have a Zelda game with two of them, it just doesn't feel complete without the third, especially in recent years.
Were you aware that there were originally only TWO pieces to the Triforce? I know Two for Tri doesnt really work out but do a little research and you shall see the light of the truth! *I lift my hand to the heavens and light shines down upon me and angels sing* :laugh:

Nintendo showed us that, if they wanted to, then can actual make Ganon interesting, ala The Wind Waker. In games where he just sort of shows up (FSA, Oracles, TP) it's understandable he has no real personality. Even still, his pen-ultimate speech in TP was awesome, right before you fight Puppet Zelda. TWW showed us a Ganon who has been defeated and had time to reflect. TP showed us a Ganon who has never lost, and survived death itself. Meanwhile Ocarina showed us the "younger" Ganon who was confident in his abilities, and thus, he underestimated Link. In LoZ, Ganon was just this evil looming presence, and for a game that simplistic, it's all he had to be.

So long as they give Ganon a more fleshed out personality I'd love to see him return time and time again. Let's face it, today people demand compelling plots, and therefore they want compelling villains. Yes, he was out of left field in TP, and Zant received the character development being seen as the "final boss" for much of the game. But I feel that if Ganon is shown to us early on and we know he is a clear and present danger, than Nintendo could really make him interesting.
You do make a very observed point there. Maybe it could happen... maybe it could...

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
lol we both main yoshi
Literally nobody cares.

Anyways, I definitely don't think they can pull off ANOTHER "oh my! it was Ganon pulling the strings all along!" plot again. I was also thinking it would be cool if he could transform at will from humanoid to pig monster Ganon and cause havoc both ways. Wouldn't it be pretty sick to have a scene with giant pig Ganon laying waste to a village or somesuch? Why's the beast always saved for the end?

MattV1

Smash Apprentice
Literally nobody cares.

Anyways, I definitely don't think they can pull off ANOTHER "oh my! it was Ganon pulling the strings all along!" plot again. I was also thinking it would be cool if he could transform at will from humanoid to pig monster Ganon and cause havoc both ways. Wouldn't it be pretty sick to have a scene with giant pig Ganon laying waste to a village or somesuch? Why's the beast always saved for the end?

I think it'd be pretty interesting to like, fight Ganondorf the first time halfway through the game or so, and then after he gets beat he transforms into Ganon and just rampages. He loses, so he transforms in a last ditch effort, rocks Link (say because he lacks the Master Sword or something) and then just starts to break ****. Maybe he ends up taking over Hyrule two more dungeons later and then slowly that builds to the final climactic battle.

That's what made Ganon so great in TWW, we get about three interactions with him before the final battle. If there had been a fight during the second run in the Forsaken Fortress, well that'd have been pretty sweet. Phantom Ganon was a nice touch, but that isn't the same as real Ganon.

Charmander

Smash Champion
NNID
JoeThorpedo
Ganon came back and there was no Link to save the land.
Link was there, just moved to termina and never came back, but his decendants ( did he use zelda?) did. Eventually one decendant destroyed gannon for good, only to realize the triforce was RIGHT THERE.
Imagine a fish getting the triforce because its underwater XD
EDIT:
And then after he gets beat he transforms into Ganon and just rampages. He loses, so he transforms in a last ditch effort, rocks Link (say because he lacks the Master Sword or something) and then just starts to break ****. Maybe he ends up taking over Hyrule two more dungeons later and then slowly that builds to the final climactic battle.
Ocarina of time? :/

Spire

III
BRoomer
Link was there, just moved to termina and never came back, but his decendants ( did he use zelda?) did. Eventually one decendant destroyed gannon for good, only to realize the triforce was RIGHT THERE.
Do you know of the split timeline? Here's what happened: after Link defeated Ganon in OoT, Zelda sent him back to his own time to relive his youth. By doing so, she effectively split time in two. She and the sages continued to live on in the damaged Hyrule after Ganon's defeat and sealing in the Sacred Realm, and Link lived in a parallel timeline before Ganondorf invaded Hyrule. The Wind Waker takes place some centuries after Ganon's defeat in the timeline where Zelda and the sages were (hence, why they are depicted as stained glass in the new Hyrule Castle in WW). We call this the "adult timeline", because that was adult Link's time. The timeline where young Link ventures into Termina (MM) is called the "child timeline". A century or so after MM, TP happens at roughly the same time that WW does in the adult timeline. So it looks like this:

-----MM - TP
OoT
-----------WW

Then you add the sequels to WW and you have this:

-----MM - TP
OoT
-----------WW/PH - ST

Essentially, that is the only concrete timeline in the Zeldaverse. Every other game fits in either loosely, or hardly at all. All we know is that the above timeline is solid and has been confirmed by Nintendo. The rest of the games are anyone's guess.

And to answer your quote: no, Link was not there. At the time of Ganon's re-invasion of Hyrule prior to WW, Link was not in Termina. In fact, Link did not exist at all. It is specifically stated in WW that the new Link is not of the Hero of Time's bloodline because there was no bloodline. Link was transported out of that timeline completely.

I just realized something though.. Ganon's sealing in OoT (Sacred Realm), his sealing prior to TP (Twilight Realm), his sealing prior to WW (Flooded Hyrule), and his sealing in FSA (Four Sword) are all different versions of the "Seal War". Perhaps ALttP is simply a game that takes place at any time after any of these games, with the backstory being a distorted version of any of the sealings seen in these games.

Kingdom Come

Smash Lord
I just realized something though.. Ganon's sealing in OoT (Sacred Realm), his sealing prior to TP (Twilight Realm), his sealing prior to WW (Flooded Hyrule), and his sealing in FSA (Four Sword) are all different versions of the "Seal War". Perhaps ALttP is simply a game that takes place at any time after any of these games, with the backstory being a distorted version of any of the sealings seen in these games.
The sealing in OoT IS the one prior to WW <_<.

Spire

III
BRoomer
The sealing in OoT IS the one prior to WW <_<.
I know that. But I'm talking about how loose ALttP's backstory is that it seems like it is simply based after either OoT-WW or TP as both seem to describe different "seal wars".

MattV1

Smash Apprentice
That's why I believe FSA was originally going to be the "Seal War" of ALttP's backstory before Miyamoto screwed around with the plot. Of course, anyone who cares about that could just check out the Timeline Topic, so I digress...

Kingdom Come

Smash Lord
I know that. But I'm talking about how loose ALttP's backstory is that it seems like it is simply based after either OoT-WW or TP as both seem to describe different "seal wars".
It couldn't possibly be after WW because they make new Hyrule somewhere far away from where the original was. There is no way Ganon is ressurrected and ALttP happens.

Off Subject: I see you live in Houston, do you ever go to the Hobo's? Because I go often enough and don't believe I have heard your name. I would like to meet you and discuss whatever one of these days.

Spire

III
BRoomer
It couldn't possibly be after WW because they make new Hyrule somewhere far away from where the original was. There is no way Ganon is ressurrected and ALttP happens.

Off Subject: I see you live in Houston, do you ever go to the Hobo's? Because I go often enough and don't believe I have heard your name. I would like to meet you and discuss whatever one of these days.
I wasn't trying to get specific with ALttP's aspects, simply its backstory and how several other games (OoT, TP, WW, and FSA) seem to revise its backstory to some degree. Like, I'm casually speaking when I say this, not over-analytically.

I've been to one HOBO. I plan on going to WHOBO though.

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
I don't mean to "back seat mod again"
but shouldn't we be talking about Ganon/Ganondorf and not the timeline or where the hell all these "Heroes of Time" come from....

Spire

III
BRoomer
I don't mean to "back seat mod again"
but shouldn't we be talking about Ganon/Ganondorf and not the timeline or where the hell all these "Heroes of Time" come from....
Well it's kind of about Ganon. Talking about Ganon leads to talking about the timeline, which leads back to talking about Ganon + other things. We were discussing his invasion of Hyrule in what is known as the "seal war", and that of course brings up when the seal war actually was, if we've seen it in a game yet, etc, etc.

I appreciate the concern though.

Ciro67

Smash Cadet
Here is what i REALLY, REALLY, REALLY want and think would be mega awesome for the new zelda wii game!

Ganon(dorf) is in zelda wii, and we meet him at some point/see him at some point and there's a lot of hints towards him being the villain of the game. basically a lot of stuff to convince us that he is. then suddenly we find out about another villain who for some reason meets ganondorf in a 1v1 and beats him/ties with him. later on you fight ganondorf at the end of the last temple. when you beat him and hes kneeling down breathing heavily like usual, you're about to deliver the final blow. as youre about to do so, he tells you to stop. then tells you that you and him need to team up together to fight the final villain.

after that link and ganon team up to fight the final boss of the game. this would be so cool and could have so much variety to it - like controlling Ganon for part of the fight aswell rather than just Link, for example.

what do you all think? i bet you'll all think this is a dumb idea like usual :(

Kingdom Come

Smash Lord
Hey ding dong check out my posts that's what I've been saying.

EDIT: I plan on going to all 3 days of WHOBO so I guess we can meet there.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Here is what i REALLY, REALLY, REALLY want and think would be mega awesome for the new zelda wii game!

Ganon(dorf) is in zelda wii, and we meet him at some point/see him at some point and there's a lot of hints towards him being the villain of the game. basically a lot of stuff to convince us that he is. then suddenly we find out about another villain who for some reason meets ganondorf in a 1v1 and beats him/ties with him. later on you fight ganondorf at the end of the last temple. when you beat him and hes kneeling down breathing heavily like usual, you're about to deliver the final blow. as youre about to do so, he tells you to stop. then tells you that you and him need to team up together to fight the final villain.

after that link and ganon team up to fight the final boss of the game. this would be so cool and could have so much variety to it - like controlling Ganon for part of the fight aswell rather than just Link, for example.

what do you all think? i bet you'll all think this is a dumb idea like usual :(
Oh yeah, it'd be absolutely amazing. A number of us have come up with similar ideas, so glad you're in the same boat :) It would be great to see some humanity in Ganondorf again, rather than just a power-hungry monster.

zaneebaslave

Smash Journeyman
Hey ding dong check out my posts that's what I've been saying.
... Are you on your period? You are making some majorly douche-baggy posts, and there's no reason for it.

I dont know about Ganondorf joining the side of Link, though. That means Ganondorf has demoted his awesome villainy rank to the areas of King Deedeedee and Bowser, in which those two antagonists have helped the protagonists in many games to try to fight more evil antagonists. But yes, a more human side of Ganondorf would be great. We need some substance to the villain we all love.

Ganonsburg

Smash Lord
I agree that Ganon should not ever, ever team up with Link. As Zanee said it would demote him from his spot of Lord of Evil. How can he be evil when he teams up with good? But to see some character development (as in WW) again would be amazing.

:034:

Top Bottom