• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gaming Confessions

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
Post any gaming-related confessions you have here. Try not to make this another 'unpopular opinions' thread.

I'll start:
  • Until I was 6 years old, I would never get anywhere in video games because I was too scared to fight bosses. It wasn't until one day when I decided to try and fight Dino Piranha in Super Mario Galaxy that I found out it wasn't nearly as bad as I feared it would be. I have been playing and beating games ever since.
  • Despite Minecraft being a contender for my favourite game of all time, I have never beaten the Ender Dragon in Survival mode because I find Survival single-player unbelievably boring and usually quit after reaching the Nether. I also don't have friends I can actively play multiplayer with. Instead I play mostly on public minigame servers.
  • It took me about 7 years from when I was 4 to catch a fish in the prologue of Zelda: Twilight Princess. I had no clue how to use the fishing rod on the Wii version, and as a result I would often give up and put the game to the side. After finding the fishing rod controls in the manual I doubt I would've figured it out myself (you have to shake the Wii Remote upward then rotate the Nunchuck like it's a reel). After finally doing that and getting to the Forest Temple, my dad decided to give the game away to my cousin, so I haven't been able to play it since (if Twilight Princess HD gets ported to Switch, preferably alongside The Wind Waker HD and a new Skyward Sword HD, I'll buy them).

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
-As a kid, I never would've gotten past the second level of any of the classic Sonic games if it wasn't for the save and load features in Sonic Classic Collection.
-To this day I cannot beat Link to the Past because of this one stupid puzzle I'm too stubborn to just look up the answer to.
-I've never played Sonic Rush despite it having one of my favorite soundtracks in the series.
-Mario Galaxy was the first game I ever beat. I was 8.
-I once wrote a letter to Mario thinking he was real, and my dad didn't want me to feel bad so he made a response himself pretending to be Mario. Up until I was 9 or 10 I thought it was real.
-I have a very strong opinion on both TLoU 2 and Sonic Lost World (Wii U/Steam) despite never playing either of them and never wanting to.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
-When I was younger I was scared of Portal cause it was too atmospheric. I honestly still get queasy at those types of things.
-I didn't know how to use any B Button attacks in Smash till I was 10
-I could never get past Treecko in Pokepark until a few years back cause I missed the tutorial
-I was so scared of the Doctor Who level in LEGO Dimensions (Thanks Weeping Angels) when I was younger that I never beat the game until this year.
-I religiously played all the Angry Birds games to death when I was a kid
-I own a Power Rangers Beat em Up game for the GBA
-I beat Shadow by button mashing when I was like 8 in Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric

KingBooGengar57

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-6126-0782-8125
I once thought that PlayStation was bad, and that Nintendo was good.
I once thought that FPS games were boring.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
  • I had Legend of Zelda Collector’s Edition as a kid, and I couldn’t get past Inside Deku Tree in OoT. I didn’t play Majora’s Mask because I was scared by the moon, also I was pretty scared by the Deku tree in OoT.
  • I use easy mode all the time on longer games, especially RPG’s
  • I’ve never beaten a turn based RPG because I found grinding too boring. It’s only now that I’ve realized I can just listen to music or watch youtube while grinding
  • i bought a PS2 in 2020 as my first playstation console
  • As a kid I played Brawl and for some reason I thought King Dedede and Kirby were the titular Smash Brothers. I also thought Captain Falcon, and Fox were part of the same series
  • Speaking of Brawl, I played that game to death as a kid, but never unlocked Wolf. I had to look up how to unlock him so I did that later
  • One last Brawl thing: I would frequently accidentally switch myself to CPU and not realize it, I thought it was a glitch where the computer player would take over my character
  • I love fighting games like Street Fighter, but I hate memorizing techniques, combos, frame data, or anything technical like that
  • I randomly bought some game called ICEY so I can say I’m supporting obscure, unknown indie studios, even though I bought it with Nintendo points
  • On my first playthrough of Fire Emblem: Three Houses I picked Black Eagles because I found Edelgard hot
  • I watched Persona 5: The Animation and haven’t played Persona 5
  • I’ve been writing a super detailed, in-depth Mario fanfiction comic series for like, 7 months now, and I’m not even halfway done what I have planned for the series, but that’s a story for another day
  • I got nightmares from Count Bleck’s castle in Super Paper Mario
  • For the longest time I was stuck at the Forsaken Fortress in Wind Waker, but got through it eventually. I cried when I finally beat Wind Waker for the first time
  • Mania was my first Sonic game
  • For some reason I used to think Kid Icarus Uprising 2 should be an open-world game
  • I made a fake Japanese switch account so I could play Joy Mech Fight
  • My first Crash Bandicoot Game was Crash of the Titans

Last edited:

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
Some ones themed around my Smash Ultimate experience:
  • Over my 2 years of playing this game, I have at some point wanted to main or secondary about 75% of the roster. I was constantly trying out new characters for fun and they would grow on me, which lead to endless character crisises. Currently I've decided to main :ultsteve: (as well as Octoling and/or Heavy if they get added) and say I secondary everyone else; this is why my Ultimate secondaries in my signature are listed as 'half the roster'. As much as I hate to make milestones, if this thread reaches a second page I'll reveal my full list of these characters I've wanted to main.
  • I have over 550 hours in Ultimate, the vast majority of which have been spent fighting CPUs. I didn't get a Switch Online subscription until I got Splatoon 2, four months after I got Ultimate, and I was playing much more of the former than the latter at the time. More relevantly, when I went online I would constantly get bodied due to my bad habits from CPUs, and as an aspiring competitive player that was a major demotivator. Eventually I decided getting good wasn't worth the time and effort so I took a long break from online. I would still like to get good now, though.
  • Oh yeah, I wanted to be a competitive Ultimate player at one point. Then I realised that on top of getting good being hard and frustrating, there were no locals I could reasonably attend (the only one was an hour away and on a Wednesday if I recall correctly). Again, I'd still like to try playing competitively to an extent.
  • I, to this day, have still not bothered to get a LAN Adaptor for my Switch. I was close to ordering one in March, but my dad (who I usually ask to buy my things) was busy when I wanted to ask him. By the next day the first lockdown had started in the UK and Amazon prioritized deliveries for the high at risk. I forgot to ask since then, largely because my Switch Online subscription ran out in April.
  • I was upset when Soaring Slash got nerfed in v2.0.0 (it killed :ultchrom: first after the update) as it was my best way of cheesing hard Spirit Battles. For the sake of multiplayer, though, I'm glad it was nerfed.
  • On the night that v7.0.0 came out I woke up at 5:30 A.M. because I was that worried :ultpalutena: would be nerfed to the ground. They only nerfed her neutral air and down throw, and those nerfs hardly affected her viability.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
For a while, I used to think Sephiroth wouldn't be a fighter for two reasons:
  • His sword, which I thought could only work for an Assist Trophy
  • Any 3rd party franchises with more than one fighter only had Echoes
And Sakurai proved both those reasons wrong the second One-Winged Angel started up.

Last edited:

tuck :)

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
TUCK#214
I had a Super Nintendo for a few years as a kid, and had Mario Paint but not the mouse to go along with it. So I would watch the intro cutscene and not actually play the game, but I was so young (like I'm talking 3 years old) that I popped it in the SNES at least 10+ times.

D

Deleted member

Gaming confessions? Let me see, here... :kirby:

Hitotsu - Street Fighter II was the first fighting game I ever played.
Futatsu - I have played Mario Party games alone, controlling all four players, allowing the character in fourth place to win most of the mini-games.
Mittsu - Mario Party 6 is probably the only game I did the 100%.
Yottsu - I bought a black-colored Wii in 2010, and it was the first console I ever bought for myself. From then on, I depended on myself to buy more game consoles. While I did own a GameCube, it was a birthday present given to me on my 44th birthday back in 2005.
Itsutsu - I got into the Soulcalibur series in early-to-mid-2018 mostly due to the character creation they introduced in III. My deepest, darkest secret with this series is this--I have recently come to hate both Alpha Patroklos and Setsuka, and thus pick on them. Why? Just because I could...and for the lulz. I still use their fighting styles for my created character based off of my real-life self, however.
Muttsu - I watched Bayonetta: Bloody Fate once, but never played Bayonetta or Bayonetta 2.
Nanatsu - I thought I was not going to like unlocking fighters in Ultimate, but in the end, I actually did. For me, the unlock fight against :ultgreninja: was the most memorable, for that CPU showed me what it is like to play in a tournament. Still, I beat him on the first attempt.
Yattsu - Soulcalibur VI has become my new #1 love. Ultimate has now become my second-best love. Soulcalibur V is my third-best love, even if that game was not that well-received in the community.
So****e, kokonotsu - I had quite the love for video games since the mid-1990s but that has declined in more recent years now that I only have five series that are super-fun for me.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Ok here is one i didnt beat TRue Arena in Kirby Tripple Deluxe
and used Gooey(STone) and three three Magesisters and Amiiibo for Star allies

i did beat Kirby Super Star Ultra True Arena tho even with fighter

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I didn't know how to save progress in the Subspace Emissary as a kid (would've been about eight years old), so I just restarted it from the begenningevery single day, which is why every single cutscene from Brawl is permanently ingrained in my memory. Somehow I managed to beat Subspace beginning to end by playing it like this.
For the longest time, I thought Mega Man.EXE was some creepypasta that somehow got in as a Mii Costume.
I thought smash attacks were called tilts and vice versa up until going to my very first tournament.
The scariest thing I ever encountered in videogames when I was a kid was unlocking the haunted house in Toy Story 3. I mean, it darkened the sky which made everything this really uncomfortable atmosphere, not to mention the whole thing being based on Sid's room which I already found scary as a kid.
I've never beaten a single Kirby game (other than Triple Deluxe) because I always get bored halfway through.
I went through a period about 2 years ago where I acted like a really annoying know-it-all considering competitive Smash, and it wasn't until a guy with that exact same attitude joined the Smash club I recently started at my high school that I retroactively realized just how smart-alecky I used to be.
As a kid, I got weirdly upset that the green boomerang bird didn't have that many lines in the Angry Birds movie. He was always my favorite.
About a year ago, an acquaintance of mine made a really badass remix of a Mega Man Zero 3 song and posted it to a smash-centric discord server we were both in, but the title was a spoiler for a certain boss fight and instead of just being silently upset, I decided to say something about it in the server. I probably made him feel awful for posting a spoiler for a seventeen year old game which he had every right to post without any spoiler tags.
I could never get past Iblis' final boss fight in Sonic 06 (the one at the end of Silver's story, I mean). It wasn't because I couldn't figure something out or anything, it was genuinely a really long and annoying endurance test. I never was able to finish the game, since I played my 360 at my birth mother's house, and she lost the ability to have me and my sister on weekends around when I turned eight, haven't seen her since then.
One more so I don't end on a bit of a somber note, I beat Final Fantasy XV without doing a single sidequest. Don't ask me how I had the neccessary XP or gil in order to beat the more difficult endgame bosses-guess I was just really good at button mashing. Now that I'm replaying the game on PC six years later I'm actually able to realize just how much they add to the game in terms of story details and playtime length.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
  • Starting with the most shameful confession right off the bat... I still haven't actually gotten to the credits of any Metroid game.
  • Still haven't started playing Bloodstained: ROTN, Sonic Mania, Horizon: Forbidden West, Astral Chain, Daemon X Machina, Sonic & The Black Knight, or Resident Evil 4
  • I got halfway through FF14's tutorial before playing something else. By the time I tried playing it again, it had been so long since making the account that they had to lock it for sus login activity, and I forgot which e-mail i used for the account to confirm it wasn't hacked.
  • Whenever I replay Deus Ex: Human Revolution, it's always on NG+ so I can just curbstomp all the exploration (I set the difficulty to highest so that my inventory is completely full slightly less often). Even then, I always have a guide on alt-tab so I can just type in all the keycodes and passwords and just ignore the hacking minigame.
  • When I got to the end of Nier: Automata, I made a choice because I didn't want to have to redo a whole bunch of stuff. But since it's been so long since I've played the game, I regret not taking the choice that requires redoing stuff, because now if I want to get the cool thing that only unlocks if you take the "redo" choice, I have to either do a ridiculously hard bullet hell section, or make the sacrifices other players made to help me the first time in vain. Now I'm too stingy to replay the game on my PS4 as a result.
  • Lowkey horny for-- Nope, no, if I listed every videogame lady that I wanna to smooch, we'd be here all goddamn day, and at least 85% would be predictable as hell, anyway.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I didn't get the fighting system of Xenoblade 2 up untill after I beat the final boss and went New Game+. With the elemental orbs and combos and all.

Errrr I play most Fire Emblem games on Normal difficulty.

I'll play every Donkey Kong game with solo Diddy if I can, always.

Every Pokemon game I played, I'd always have a Pikachu in my team, no exceptions.

I needed a walkthrough for the Water Temple in Ocarina of Time. Most likely, I'd still need one this day and age.

I never finished Banjo Kazooie.

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
I'm horrible at finishing RPGs.

I usually can get invested in one and play for hours and something happens and I drop the game, and get way too confused on where I left off to the point I feel I need to restart to relearn the context, then I look at another game and start playing it or find some other activity to distract me long enough to completely forget what happened and I need to either restart or start a new RPG. Seriously, as of the time of writing this post I'm basically doing anything in my power to not continue playing Knights of the Old Republic despite loving what I've seen so far on a second new save.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I'm horrible at finishing RPGs.

I usually can get invested in one and play for hours and something happens and I drop the game, and get way too confused on where I left off to the point I feel I need to restart to relearn the context, then I look at another game and start playing it or find some other activity to distract me long enough to completely forget what happened and I need to either restart or start a new RPG. Seriously, as of the time of writing this post I'm basically doing anything in my power to not continue playing Knights of the Old Republic despite loving what I've seen so far on a second new save.
Honestly I give up on RPG’s really quickly. If there’s a hard boss and I try and try again over and over to beat it I’ll honestly probably just stop playing no matter how much I love the game. Only RPG’s that I’ve beaten I’ve won because of save states or other things that are pretty much cheats. The exceptions are really easy ones that are intended for smaller kids or the Mass Effect series.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
As a kid, I played a lot of games like Banjo-Kazooie, DK64, SM64, etc., but, like, I didn’t really actually play them properly. Instead, my older brother had played through much of the games, and I just spent a whole lot of time just wandering around the environments. So, like… does that count as me actually playing the games, since I put so many hours into them, or not? (In SM64 specifically I also spent a lot of time messing around with GameShark codes, ahaha. Although, part of that was the fact that my GameShark was an old model that didn’t work with much else.) I was also prone to deleting saves in games a lot in order to watch the intro cutscenes again.

Random weird specific thing, but I‘m still terrified of Black Elebits in Elebits on Wii. They’re cute little neon hedgehog things, but, like… pretend that Elebits is a game about picking up things with an extremely long Ultra Hand. But now, there‘s a bunch of large indestructible spiders running around at a million miles an hour and so much as touching one with your Ultra Hand causes it to launch itself directly at your face. And, I have to live with the fact that a bunch of items have even more of them hiding underneath, so it’s scary just picking up objects. That’s pretty much what any level with Black Elebits is like for me. (I could just probably strafe around while playing so that they just miss my face, instead of playing the game like it’s some kind of horror-surgery-simulator, but yeah…) Also, allowing any sufficiently massive object to hit the ground hard and make a lot of noise causes even larger Black Elebits to spawn, so I was so careful with large objects that the game awarded me with the title “King of Silence” after beating the final boss.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
The Miniblins from wind waker really scared me as a kid. You just wander to the wrong room in the forsaken fortress and a bunch of awful little devils just swarm you and attack you and you can barely get away I hated it.

I also was terrified just from pictures of the imprisoned from skyward sword even though I never played the game as a kid

D

Deleted member

• Despite being one of my favorite series I've never completed a classic sonic game
  • I didn't know what smash attacks were until I was 11
  • I was stuck on the 4th dungeon in a link between worlds and only beat the game recently
  • I actually like super Mario land

Last edited by a moderator:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
  • Despite being one of my favorite series I've never completed a classic sonic game
  • I didn't know what smash attacks were until I was 11
  • I was stuck on the 4th dungeon in a link between worlds and only beat the game recently
  • I actually like super Mario land
You mean hyrule Castle? Because if you mean the first dungeon in lorule that can be any dungeon!

Veca Gorebyss

Smash Journeyman
¤

1 | i completed luigi mansion the same night i recieved it. which suprised me and my mother. haha. albeit i didnt do further. like collecting all things or whatever. there is more to do.

2 | i can make all my troubles go away playing "ecco: tides of time". childhood game. love the idea of me just sitting there being beautiful and playing it. i love nautical things and so it makes me feel like a ocean diva living a normal life or something. if were to be able to do this. havent done.

all i have.

gb.

¤

Good Night !

Smash Rookie
I'm 26 and I grew up with Nintendo consoles. But the first Zelda game I played is BoTW.

Mario is my favorite series. But I've never completed Super Mario 64 and Shunshine.

Pokémon Emerald is my favorite GBA game. But I've never completed it because of the Battle Frontier. I would like to try to beat it one day. Fair and square.

Most of my time on Smash was spent fighting CPUs. I found the online game very laggy (even back then) and my brothers never wanted to play with me because I was "too strong" (I'm not. I suck at Smash, I play it just for fun).

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I'm 26 and I grew up with Nintendo consoles. But the first Zelda game I played is BoTW.

Mario is my favorite series. But I've never completed Super Mario 64 and Shunshine.

Pokémon Emerald is my favorite GBA game. But I've never completed it because of the Battle Frontier. I would like to try to beat it one day. Fair and square.

Most of my time on Smash was spent fighting CPUs. I found the online game very laggy (even back then) and my brothers never wanted to play with me because I was "too strong" (I'm not. I suck at Smash, I play it just for fun).
I hope you played the Older Ones i can sugggest Links Awekening Very Well

Mario 64 and Sunshine are Hard Especially the 100% I struggled Ages too Complete SM64 Ds As a Kid! I did get all 150 Stars Eventually!

Battle Frontier Is Very Hard Too!

I do that all the Time in all sorts of casual Friendly Fighting Games just choosing 2 Fighters letting them clash its so Zen!
(BTW Im Playing on relativly easy in most fighting games)

alexxxela

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7240-1590-9437
i love zelda but i've never finished a game besides botw

i've never beaten a sonic game despite owning at least ten

i've never 100%'d super mario galaxy 1 or 2 even though they are probably the games i've played the most throughout my entire life

JamesCombs

Smash Rookie
  • Starting with the most shameful confession right off the bat... I still haven't actually gotten to the credits of any Metroid game.
  • Still haven't started playing Bloodstained: ROTN, Sonic Mania, Horizon: Forbidden West, Astral Chain, Daemon X Machina, Sonic & The Black Knight, or Resident Evil 4
  • I got halfway through FF14's tutorial before playing something else. By the time I tried playing it again, it had been so long since making the account that they had to lock it for sus login activity, and I forgot which e-mail i used for the account to confirm it wasn't hacked.
  • Whenever I replay Deus Ex: Human Revolution, it's always on NG+ so I can just curbstomp all the exploration (I set the difficulty to highest so that my inventory is completely full slightly less often). Even then, I always have a guide on alt-tab so I can just type in all the keycodes and passwords and just ignore the hacking minigame.
  • When I got to the end of Nier: Automata, I made a choice because I didn't want to have to redo a whole bunch of stuff. But since it's been so long since I've played the game, I regret not taking the choice that requires redoing stuff, because now if I want to get the cool thing that only unlocks if you take the "redo" choice, I have to either do a ridiculously hard bullet hell section, or make the sacrifices other players made to help me the first time in vain. Now I'm too stingy to replay the game on my PS4 as a result.
  • Lowkey horny for-- Nope, no, if I listed every videogame lady that I wanna to smooch, we'd be here all goddamn day, and at least 85% would be predictable as hell, anyway.
  • Also, I don't know if it's a confession or just a habit, but sometimes if I'm too interested in a game, I can play all night. The last time it happened was a few days ago because I started playing in a new online casino. I was looking for one to try, and a friend of mine recommended this site https://gamblizard.ca/best-canadian-online-casinos/casino-payment-options/interac-casinos/ which provides different information about casinos, payment methods, games, and so on. After reading the info there I found one site which seemed to be a good one, and couldn't stop playing.
"Still haven't started playing Bloodstained: ROTN, Sonic Mania, Horizon: Forbidden West, Astral Chain, Daemon X Machina, Sonic & The Black Knight, or Resident Evil 4" - me too. I've never played any of those games.
Also, sometimes I watch YouTube videos when I'm such with some part of a game.
I choose "easy" mods when there is such an option

Last edited:
Top Bottom