• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamestop Tournament Tips and Info!

YSM

Smash Apprentice
I've got to suggest Pikachu for this one. First off, he's fast. One big advantage over casuals is that the quicker you are, the less likely they are to be competitive with you, especially if you're throwing in advanced techniques. Second, he's been buffed, particularly his Down+A. Third, Skull Bash and Thunder can be spammed like crazy. I know SB is normally not the best move, but it's GREAT for edge-guarding noobs. Since they won't know when to do things like air dodge, time the second jump, etc, as long as you've got the timing you can KO them at low percentages. I was practicing against the computer, trying to learn new techniques, and I was KOing Ganondorf at around 70%. Keep in mind that they also won't know to DI, either. As a casual player myself(who's trying to become competitive), I know the things we suck at all too well, and Pikachu exploits many of them.

As for me, I'll be using PT just because he's my future main. I really don't care about winning a tourney with one-minute matches anyways.

Zink

Smash Champion
i'm only in it to see if they're giving out free Brawl to the winner, so I don't have to wait for amazon to ship it to me lawl.

Dreiko

Smash Journeyman
Ok so here's my situation , i never played any smash game in my life , i just never happened to run on it or have friends that played it , i'm more of a JRPG type gamer and my main fighter (which i do play on a very competitive level) is tekken. i do play most popular fighters casually too...i just never happened to play smash.

After reading online i was more and more drawn into brawl so i've preordered it many months ago and from the Jp release i've read and seen most available content so i'm somewhat familiar with the settings , i just hope they allows us to use a classic controller in the tournament cause i sorta hate the wavebird and cause...well i know what each button of the CC does in brawl but i have no idea for wavebird.

I have a question , i hear always this "tilt" thing...is that a different type of attack that includes the c stick of wavebird and the right stick of the CC or does it simply refer to directed attacks with B and A ?

Also any tips are welcome.

-Ran

Smash Master
Tilt = Tilting the controller in a specific direction for a different attack. There are tilts for up, down, left, and right, just as there is a smash for every direction.

Dreiko

Smash Journeyman
Tilt = Tilting the controller in a specific direction for a different attack. There are tilts for up, down, left, and right, just as there is a smash for every direction.
Ah ok , so it is just different direction and the button...i sorta imagined you just attacked with the right control stick cause it was right tilt but not right tilt smash or right tilt attack lol.

YSM

Smash Apprentice
Ok so here's my situation , i never played any smash game in my life , i just never happened to run on it or have friends that played it , i'm more of a JRPG type gamer and my main fighter (which i do play on a very competitive level) is tekken. i do play most popular fighters casually too...i just never happened to play smash.

After reading online i was more and more drawn into brawl so i've preordered it many months ago and from the Jp release i've read and seen most available content so i'm somewhat familiar with the settings , i just hope they allows us to use a classic controller in the tournament cause i sorta hate the wavebird and cause...well i know what each button of the CC does in brawl but i have no idea for wavebird.

I have a question , i hear always this "tilt" thing...is that a different type of attack that includes the c stick of wavebird and the right stick of the CC or does it simply refer to directed attacks with B and A ?

Also any tips are welcome.

Basically, instead of mashing the control stick(NOT C-stick) up/down/left/right, like you would for a smash attack, you simply move it a little in that direction. While the tilt attacks may seem less useful than smash attacks at first, keep in mind that they usually hit quicker and have less lag than smash attacks, and are great for comboing WITH smash attacks.

Strag

Smash Cadet
Just to elaborate more...Tilts are different from Smash Attacks (Whenever you hold down the joystick hard in one direction and press A) in that Tilts are where you slightly move the joystick in one direction while pressing A. In other words, you can't hold the A button for a long time (as you can with a Smash attack) nor press the joystick hard to produce a Smash attack.

Dreiko

Smash Journeyman
Basically, instead of mashing the control stick(NOT C-stick) up/down/left/right, like you would for a smash attack, you simply move it a little in that direction. While the tilt attacks may seem less useful than smash attacks at first, keep in mind that they usually hit quicker and have less lag than smash attacks, and are great for comboing WITH smash attacks.
Yeah that makes sense , i do have a good general concept of fighters and many strong slow attacks = easy dodge and fast death...that's why i'm even taking part in the tournament...i hope my experience in fighters/gaming and all the studying i've done will take me somewhere. :D

Nihil

Smash Rookie
Im probably gonna go with Charizard
He has the strenght to kill in one minute and survive the rest without worrying bout the stamina thing

If I see an Ike I'll do this:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=lvZl7VAaxlw

compliments to Chillin on that awesome kill at the end

Its a bit of a risk to try out a character i have no exp with but I think I've seen enough videos and have enough natural talent to at least win Round 1
Just hoping for no sudden death

Any tips agaisnt Pit? that lil ******* could be annoying with his recoveries

Terrorcon Blot

Smash Journeyman
For all the new guys in this thread, you guys need to go back and read up on the earlier pages. Myself and others have already gone through a whole bunch of tips and strategies to nearly guarantee a victory over every non-competitive player at the gamestop tournament.
Yes, because goodness knows you guys have no skill over them, or anything.

Saje

Smash Cadet
I hit the jack pot with this. :p If anyone is considering using Ike, I STRONGLY recommend they watch these.

http://youtube.com/view_play_list?p=1C5DD279A3CCDFF3
Gotta say, thanks for those videos. They were very, very educational. Also a big thanks to Mookie; this tournament ought to be entertaining to say the least. I'm just hoping that my ability to read my opponent is as good as I think it is. I tend to stomp casual players, but I'm a Jiggly main, so it could instead be them having no clue how to play against me or better technical skill... Whatever it may be, should I go Ike in the Gamestop tournament:

.....That's really scary.....

Milln

Smash Champion
I think... that i'm going to use Pokemon Trainer and win make every KO a product of Rock Smash. >,> or Squirtle's effing beautiful Upsmash.

No copy of Brawl to practice on.. all i can work on is spacing tactics and general tactics and work on observing my opponent and catching their mannerisms. Hmm... See you all at District and Regionals. Maybe even Finals. We'll see how it goes.

Zeyeth

Smash Cadet
*sigh* Just finished reading all the posts and I've gotta say.. I'm going to win the first round hands down. As cocky as this seems, casuals DO tend to have a certain type of play style and I am an expert at exploiting such tactics. I'm going to take that guys advice in regards to the .8 dmg ratio and the 'Dorf for1min med items and what-not to get used to Ike. Although he is a new character and I'll be slightly unfamiliar with him, I've done EXTENSIVE research on this character. Spacing is also my thing, and I'm pretty good at playing under pressure.

I appreciate what everyone has done to contribute to other Smashboarders!

A rumor is one should completely ditch Melee all together until the Brawl is released to prevent one from implementing Melee concepts into Brawl. What do you guys think?

Dustlord

Smash Cadet
Hmm, I've heard over and over all the characters are vastly different in Brawl than Melee. If that's the case, there's not much point in picking one you're familiar with, huh?

If that's the case, it might not be a bad idea to try one of the new characters. Since they all handle different anyway, might it be easier to adapt with something completly new, to force yourself to think fresh?

Piratey_Critter

Smash Apprentice
Use a fast character. The heavies aren't necessarily bad, but it's going to take time to get used to their non-flinch frames, and using those will be very important for them.

Be careful with your dash attacks and aerials - it's really easy to get shield grabbed. On that not, shield grab people a lot.

If it's timed for 1 min, you win for getting the first stock because you can run away. It's kinda lame, but that's how some people will play. Watch out for characters like Metaknight, Pit and Robot, they will be very good at being hiding wussies :p

Finally, read up on your chosen character. Learning a few tricks or combos going into the tourney can save your skin, but don't rely on them too much in case they don't work as well as the internet said they would.

jdub03

Smash Journeyman
While that may be true^(debatable though), the first round is only 1 minute. This means you need to pick a character that can kill quick and survive long.

MunkyMan33

Smash Apprentice
I'm a doc main, so I'll most likely go mario. get an over or down smash in and call it a day. maybe a fair spike if i'm feeling sporty (and lucky)

The Adder

Smash Apprentice
I'm thinking Dedede will be a good choice. Monstrous forward smash plus a great recovery.

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
Regrettably you cannot bring your own controller. The rules say so. I'm personaly going w/ Pit. Spam Destroys newer players, I got very comfortable w/ him over about 2 hours of play. He's a combo of my Melee mains, Peavh, YL, and Marth. And In my experience I can beat most people in the area easily with Marth, Wolf, and TL not being playable :) I'll have to be smart against metaknight and run against IKEs though.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Although you cannot bring your own controller they've said they will provide you with all 4 types of controllers to use.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Yes, because goodness knows you guys have no skill over them, or anything.
And I'm looking at you, MookieMoo, or whatever the hell your name is. You sound like a complete idiot in your first post. Oh wait, you guys are too hardcore for names. Sorry, I should have said "tag".

Gamestop Tournaments are supposed to be challenging AND fun. Fun and easygoing is really where you tourneytards fall short. You use characters that are "better" and "more powerful" and "Top Tiers". What happened to using the character that you considered your "favorite" or the "coolest", like in the old days when there were no glitches to exploit?
I knew it was a matter of time till SOMEONE flamed me for what I've said. This is gonna be a pretty long post.

Lemme explain why I said all those harsh things about how casual players play melee. I like to go to anime conventions with my friends. I go to a handful of them every year. Each and every time I go to them they all have melee tournaments. Each and every time I go to these melee tournaments, I either win, or run into someone from the smashboards like GAWes and take 2nd. Not only do I beat all the casual players, but I routinely beat 3 of them teamed against me. I've been doing this kind of thing for 4 years now.

Back in the day I had a hard time playing against casual players. I would do very well in big tournaments, but have decently close matches with guys that I shouldn't even have to worry about. They seemed random, and I was used to players using the cream of the crop strategies and actually knew when to place a move at the right time. It was very frustrating for them to take 2-3 stocks off every now and then. It wasn't until a few friends of mine asked me to help train them in smash so they could go to tournaments that I figured out what I was doing wrong. Ironically, I owe a lot to these guys, cause I really learned what mind games were from these guys.

I would play these guys, notice things they weren't doing and tell them some things they should work on. I would then have them play each other and observe their matches closely. I began to see how they just run almost entirely on patterns. Whenever I would play them again I would seek out to exploit the patterns that I saw. I would point them out to them as they are playing, and I even would say "don't roll left" before they would roll left into a smash. Through this process of teaching and showing these guys to break their habbits, I learned how to thoroughly observe during my own matches.

After this experience, I was able to destroy every casual player with ease. It was no longer a competition. I would seriously just get CF and plant a knee whenever I knew they would not tech, roll, or tech to stand. I could go an entire match using nothing but knees and 4 stock a casual player and only take 20-30% damage total. This is the difference observation and adaption makes. I went from a sub par player to an excellent player JUST by realizing a few things. Ironically, I had all these skills prior, but I never used them.

It's one of those things that you don't really know till it clicks. Before I had always played smart, but I used more of a "tool set" system for playing against people. Whenever I ran into someone who countered a strategy I then changed my strategy to some other pre-determined strategy from my "tool set." I wasn't actively engaging in observing my opponent and purely adapting to his play style.

These kinds of skills... are what really sets competitive players apart. It's not the techniques, it's not the "cheap tactics." It's the ability to gauge your opponents play style quickly and accurately through observation and exploit it.

To all those who were upset by what I said prior: I'm sorry that you don't realize that casual gamers play on instinct and use habitual patterns without thinking. It's hard for you to understand that people who actually observe and adapt would beat them senseless. I'm fully aware that there are "some" casual players who don't fit into this category, but even still, against someone who has some good experience in the tournament scene, even the rarest of good casual players couldn't hold up against them, as they simply don't have the experience that the competitive player would have.

People need to realize that competitive players, or those that actively seek competition through tournaments, are overall better players than those who play this game casually. To say otherwise is like saying that these guys you know that play basketball across the street could take on a professional/semi-professional basketball team.

The purpose of the stuff I wrote in this thread is actually for anyone attending the gamestop tournaments. My message goes out to casual players who want to win it as well. The advice I give is all about observing your opponent and exploiting their patterns. I also talk about strategies that aren't broken, but to a lesser player would seem impossible to counter. Not only that I go into ways to exploit the fact that it's a 1 minute time match and give a list of solid characters to choose from. I want you guys to succeed, and this is an excellent opportunity for you guys to discover what it is to mindgame opponents.

Adobo916

Smash Rookie
Ok to clarify not all Gamestops will go to the standard rules to the "T". Im a manager at one, though I can't enter the tourney I'm hosting it as I see fit.
Some Gamestops will be doing the same if they want to make it enjoyable for everyone.
My plan:

Timed matches - It all depends on how many people sign up for it. If there is a lot of people then its about 1-2 mins un till the semi final and finals those will have 2-3 stock. And its only gonna be 1 on 1.

Controllers - Im actually providing my own controllers, wave birds and I may provide the other control types as well.

Characters - I know most game stops wont have them all but mine will. When we receive the game from shipment Im taking my copy home before street date in order to unlock everyone. Ive already done this with the import version so it wont take me much time at all. Every character will be available period.

Items - All items are off even smash balls. At first I wanted to use them but then I thought about it... its an item so it stays off.

Stages - Ill have the most neutral stages possible IE. Final Destination, Battle Field, Etc. Its a tourney after all...

It will actually depend on how fun the managers at other game stop, they might follow my example or follow the basic rule set.

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
To overcome all problems Use Dedede(4) Meta Knight(3) Kirby(1) Or Captain Olimar(2) not in that order.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
I really hope the Gamestop near my house turns items off, I don't wanna get creamed by a Smash Ball just because I'm going to be using ZSS.

Terrorcon Blot

Smash Journeyman
Characters - I know most game stops wont have them all but mine will. When we receive the game from shipment Im taking my copy home before street date in order to unlock everyone. Ive already done this with the import version so it wont take me much time at all. Every character will be available period.
And the customers who don't want the all the hidden characters spoiled on them?

Personally, if that's the way your store is going to run it, I hope I don't wind up playing there. It's not in northern California, is it?

KungLao

Smash Rookie
Ok to clarify not all Gamestops will go to the standard rules to the "T". Im a manager at one, though I can't enter the tourney I'm hosting it as I see fit.
Some Gamestops will be doing the same if they want to make it enjoyable for everyone.
My plan:

Timed matches - It all depends on how many people sign up for it. If there is a lot of people then its about 1-2 mins un till the semi final and finals those will have 2-3 stock. And its only gonna be 1 on 1.

Controllers - Im actually providing my own controllers, wave birds and I may provide the other control types as well.

Items - All items are off even smash balls. At first I wanted to use them but then I thought about it... its an item so it stays off.

Stages - Ill have the most neutral stages possible IE. Final Destination, Battle Field, Etc. Its a tourney after all...

It will actually depend on how fun the managers at other game stop, they might follow my example or follow the basic rule set.
I'll make sure not to go to your store.

Giving the importers an even bigger leg up doesn't sound very fun to me.

Adobo916

Smash Rookie
And the customers who don't want the all the hidden characters spoiled on them?

Personally, if that's the way your store is going to run it, I hope I don't wind up playing there. It's not in northern California, is it?
Its a little to late to be OMG spoilers, on the characters.... <_<
after all the strategy guide is right there next the counter when you get the game.

As for the hate on importers, It makes no difference IM not playing just hosting it. But suck it up and play hard if you really wanna win.

Terrorcon Blot

Smash Journeyman
That's like saying it's okay to talk about the plot points in Final Fantasy 7 when it came out just because the strategy guide was there and those darn silly customers weren't following every leak and detail from the japanese version of the game via the internet.

Medori Red

Smash Rookie
I'll make sure not to go to your store.

Giving the importers an even bigger leg up doesn't sound very fun to me.

The importers would have the advantage over those who waited for the game anyway. They might have practiced with someone off of the starter list just in case of a situation like this one.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
That's like saying it's okay to talk about the plot points in Final Fantasy 7 when it came out just because the strategy guide was there and those darn silly customers weren't following every leak and detail from the japanese version of the game via the internet.
No... it's not. It's nothing like a plot point at all... It's a **** character.

People who claim that over half the cast should be turned off just cause they don't want it spoiled are being incredibly dumb and selfish. Not only are you the minority in this aspect, but this is a TOURNAMENT. You are denying people from playing the character they want simply cause you want to be able to be surprised about characters the next day...

Mario77

Smash Apprentice
I know the guy running the tourney at my gamestop... I asked him what rules he was thinkin about using.. he said.. "I'm not going to allow wavedashing since not everyone knows how to do it." I told you can't wavedash in Brawl lulz.

So basicly it looks like they can make almost any rules they want, as long as its pretty fair.
I'm bringing my own controller, it's gamestop, they arent going to kick me out for wanting to use my own reliable controller.

The first post should say that the rules are going to be different at each gamestop.

OH YEAH, Don't join the tournament if you dont want the roster spoiled! In fact! Don't even talk to anyone in the store! You are going to get EVERYTHING spoiled if you go to a SMASH BROS TOURNEY.

Terrorcon Blot

Smash Journeyman
No... it's not. It's nothing like a plot point at all... It's a **** character.

People who claim that over half the cast should be turned off just cause they don't want it spoiled are being incredibly dumb and selfish. Not only are you the minority in this aspect, but this is a TOURNAMENT. You are denying people from playing the character they want simply cause you want to be able to be surprised about characters the next day...
You're the sort who peeks at your christmas presents, aren't you?

Top Bottom