• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Games You Didn't Think You'd Like But Ended Up Liking

Overload

Smash Lord
What are some games that you didn't expect to find enjoyable, but ended up liking? Why didn't you think you'd like them, and why did you end up liking them.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
Why would you play it if you didn't think you would like it?

Overload

Smash Lord
Perhaps you tried it at a friend's house, or just decided to give it a shot because people have said good things about it. Perhaps you found it at a yard sale for a cheap price.

Red the Ghost

Smash Ace
Earthbound is the first one that comes to mind
and the Halo series when I first played 2.

Puddin

Smash Lord
I generally don't play games I don't think I would enjoy, I tried Halo and didn't like that so I figure that would be reason enough not to play games I don't think I'll like.

As for ones I actually DID try and enjoy...Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts...no wait, that's Vice Versa, I thought I WOULD like it but ended up hating Rare for what they'd done to the franchise...

Okay, okay I think...oh yeah, Gears of War.

My brother bought Gears when I first got my 360, and I had already assumed I wouldn't like it because it was a popular Microsoft IP, and at first I was like "Awww" but then I was like "YEAAH!" then I tried the second one and was like "Awww" again.

Scott!

Smash Lord
Soul Calibur II. I usually eschew fighting games, save Smash, but a friend of mine wanted to play it, so we rented it for my GC. 2 1/2 years later, my friends and I have SC II-IV, and it's our most-played game as a group after Smash. Still don't like non-Smash 2D fighting games, but SC clicked. Maybe it's the 3D aspect, or that it's with weapons and is bloodless, or just that I've played so much of it.

Tales of Symphonia. I've never been that much of an RPG gamer except Pokemon, and that's a special case if ever there was one. But when my (same) friend got this and played it, I just had to get into it as well, and now it's one of my absolute favorites.

Age of Empires II. My friends at college wanted a game we all could play on our dorm's network together, and they'd all played this except me. I had to learn it and get into it, and I was hesitant, but it turned out to be awesome.

Lovely

Smash Lord
♣ Blue Dragon from the 360 and No More Hero's for the Wii. I didn't think I like those game's, but I love to play them. ♥

Crystallion

Smash Ace
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia...I've never played a single game of the franchise, and I wasn't too interested at the beginning, but when I played it for the first time, it quickly became one of my favorites.

Donkey Kong 64: I didn't like Donkey Kong and at the time, I was an Ocarina of Time fanatic who couldn't accept that DK64 got a better rating in one of those gaming magazines. When I played it, I was amazed. Still didn't make it at the very top =D

Yoshi's Story: Same thing with DK64, I didn't like anything about Yoshi. But the game was just too cute, I ended up liking it.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
Portal: I had heard all the great things about the game but I just couldn't see the fun in walking through portals for 3 hours. Then I played it myself and now it's one of my favorite games of all time.

Raider 88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Raider704
3DS FC
5086-1674-5462
Super Mario RPG. I remembered looking at the box at Video Connection and not liking the way it looked. I thought it looked weird and different. I hadn't even played an RPG before then. I decided to give it a shot and rent it and it quickly became one of my favorite games ever.

Deception

Smash Ace
The World Ends With You. The game looked very weird to me, too weird. And I though the gameplay looked too complex. Now it's one of my top ten favorite games of all time.

Sinatra'

Smash Apprentice
The whole Mega man series for me, I thought it looked really dumb at first when I saw my uncle playing it but then he just handed me the controller and I started getting into it and it was really fun Mega man 5 for the NES was the game I think...

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
The World Ends With You. My boyfriend kept pushing this one at me until I played it. It is now probably one of my favourite games ever.

K64

Smash Apprentice
First was Resident Evil 4. I knew from word that it was good, but I thought it wasn't really for me. I borrowed the GC version from a friend and did NOT want to give it back (I did :( ). I liked everything about it except Ashley--what a nuisance.
Another was Final Fantasy XII. I played a true FF before, and kept getting my butt hurt. Three years later I borrow that one and I haven't finished it. It gets better if you put effort into it. I might try an RTS next :) wish me luck.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
Paper Mario.

The game kind of looked stupid to me, but now it's probably my favorite RPG series ever made. So much effort put into them by Intelligent Systems.

Also didn't think I'd like Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventure (GC). That was really my first top down Zelda I really enjoyed. I did play the first one, but I was not impressed with it. At least as a kid I wasn't.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Ditto on Paper Mario

And then Flicky. It was just so mind boggling drug trippy it was enjoyable

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Animal Crossing.

The title deterred me for a long time (it sounds stupid, you must admit), but I finally decided to try and read up on it after reading through the "Player's Pulse"s of all of my back issues of Nintendo Power (when it was still called "Player's Pulse") and seeing it mentioned so many times.

I fell in love with it and traveled to three GameStops to find it a week later. Then I proceeded to play it for an entire summer and even beyond that.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
To be fair, I got a whole list:

1: Metroid:
reason why I didn't think I'd like it:
I wasn't really interested, I seriously would have passed it up.
Why I changed my mind:
Going here and ending up finding boss battles of Metroid Prime 3. Now I have the entire trilogy (and Hunters), and plan to get the full trilogy in August

2: Kirby:
Reason Why not:
I tried with Canvas curse, but the final boss freaked me out (I am kind of a scardy cat. In fact, there's a game's radar article involving Kirby that kept me up all night [Top 7 gory deaths for cutsey games, I'll leave it at that]).
Reason why I (gave it a second shot):
I saw some clips of Kirby super star, and got the remake. Turns out to be not as scary.

3: Legend of Zelda:
Reason why I didn't think I'd like it:
Not a big fan of fantasy games
Why I got it:
Looked it up on the Zelda wiki. Just give me wikipedia and I'll overcome it (along with some videos of boss fights)

4: Left 4 Dead:
Why I didn't think I'd like it:
It was a Zombie game, and I didn't know what the point was.
Why I decided to get it:
One of their commercials interested me. I also found out the point to it.

5: The conduit:
Reason why I didn't pay attention earlier: Didn't think so highly of it
Why I want it now: Found out it wasn't rated M and desperate for any good Wii game.

6: Halo:
Why I didn't think Highly of it:
I thought it was stupid and I had a grudge against Microsoft
Why I do now:
I played the original at a friend's house. Also, I lost the reason for My Grudge against Microsoft. Now it is with Sony.
Why i am not getting it right now:
I don't have a 360. It is going to cost a lot (1 console, the game, 3 extra controllers, a wireless adapter, the expansion packs), only to just encounter ***holes.

HylianBoy

Smash Apprentice
[N64] Pokemon Snap

I don't know why I didn't like it at first. Maybe because I was real young at the time to understand. But like about a week later, the game got quite additive. I would play that game everyday even though I already finished it like 8 times. I might be still playing it today if my N64 controller was working.

[N64] StarWars Episode 1: Racer

I wasn't interest in racing games at the time and that being sort of a fast one, it got annoying at first. But after doing research and a few cheat codes later, I got interested in the game and started doing good without them.

[PS2] SmackDown: Here Comes the Pain

Since I was never good at wrestling games in the past, playing SmackDown: HCTP wasn't easy for me. Might be because I never knew how to do most of the hard hitting moves and didn't have time to find out since I never owned one in the past. But I had time with this game. What can I say, research pays off.

SSBB4all

Smash Apprentice
Legend of Zelda The Wind Waker by far.

At the time, the only Zelda game I had played was A Link to the Past. The graphics at first made me not want the game. In fact, I hated it for that sole reason. After hearing about it at school, I decided to convince my parents to buy it. As soon as I started I was HOOKED, and the twist with Tetra was one of the biggest shocks I've had in gaming.

It is now my 2nd favorite GC game of all time. (Melee being first of course) :p

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
a while back My cousin was always telling me that Prince of Persia sands of time was a good game but i didnt like the way it looked.
So i saw the way Prince of persia 2 looked and i thought that game looked cool, so before that game came out i got sands of time and it ended up being my favorite of the series

Crazy_mofo213

Smash Lord
Well I thought I was going to hate Castlevania SOTN because I was bored by the other Castlevania games I had previously played. However a friend told me how great it was so I decided to try it and to my surprise I loved it.

djm111

Smash Cadet
Kirby.
I always thought he was a stupid character in Melee, then I played one of his games on my friends GBA and realised how awesome it actually was.

Exce L

Smash Apprentice
Paper Mario Series. (Except for the one on Wii)
I can say this for me and probably half the people that have played the game.

§leepy God

Smash Master
DDR series, at first I thought it was lame, but I had a blast when I played DDR Nova, after I feel in love with it, I wanted to play them all.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Persona series!
Why did you think you wouldn't like the Persona games?

For me, it was Star Ocean: Til the End of Time.
I've played a little bit of SO 1 and 2 before 3.
SO3 isn't my favorite, but I liked it more than I thought I would.

Vlade

Social Outcast
The Ace Attorney series.

I mean, who would want to player a lawyer game? I am actually kind of into law, but I didn't think that law in a game would work.

Turns out they are my favourite games on ds (and gba).

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
Wind Waker and Street Fighter 4. I still remember playing Mortal Kombat on my friends Sega Genesis and I assumed all fighting games were that bad. I went to a Gamestop and they had it up at the Kiosk and I didn't realize how good it was.

SpongeBathBill

Smash Ace
^Oh, I forgot TWW - funny because I've come to really like cel-shading, and when I first saw it I found myself in a state of shocked disgust.

Didn't think I'd like the 3-day system in MM either, but I ended up thinking it was pretty cool. These two games actually, by themselves, convinced me not to pass judgment on Zelda games and then games in general (and anything in life, really) until I've actually had the opportunity to experience them.

IWontGetOverTheDam

Smash Lord
Earthbound. Looked like just some other RPG, but then I played it. Words can not express how good a game it is. If you haven't played it, go do it. Now.

Spade1

Smash Apprentice
Left 4 Dead.

I thought the title sounded stupid as well as the general concept it sounded like it was just a resident evil knockoff trying to mix it a co-op element. The "Left 4 Dead" logo gave me this feeling like it was some cheap budget goofy zombie killing game.

Then I played the demo. :)

Dai Tian

Smash Journeyman
Metroid Prime
Excluding Goldeneye when I was younger, shooters in any way have never gotten me interested enough to play one for more than a few minutes (Resident Evil 4 has become another exception). But then the game was praised as more than just a shooter, was praised in general as being an awesome game and I had gotten interested in Metroid thanks to Samus in Smash so I tried it out. I now see this game among the most treasured games I own and have with the exception of Metroid 2 and Hunters, played every Metroid game.

Well done Nintendo. Well done!

Top Bottom