• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Game Over - Return of Ganon! Support Thread of the classic Demon King! - (OP stepping down, thread open for take over)

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Now that Ganondorf has an official Breath of the Wild design (At least I'm assuming that's Ganondorf), I'm not looking forward to whatever Smash 6 has in store for him.

Aonuma: So Ganon this time around had a lot of moveset potential. He has laser beams, this all-corrupting fog-goo, a ton of axes and swords and polearms, some weirdass spider-legs, teleportation...

Sakurai: I wonder how I can make him play like Captain Falcon this time.

D

Deleted member

Now that Ganondorf has an official Breath of the Wild design (At least I'm assuming that's Ganondorf), I'm not looking forward to whatever Smash 6 has in store for him.

Aonuma: So Ganon this time around had a lot of moveset potential. He has laser beams, this all-corrupting fog-goo, a ton of axes and swords and polearms, some weirdass spider-legs, teleportation...

Sakurai: I wonder how I can make him play like Captain Falcon this time.
Keep in mind that what we have in Smash as well as who's rumored to be in that trailer is GanonDORF. And at this point, regardless of how people feel about it the moveset Ganondorf has in Smash now is here to stay. Personally I'm now in the camp of being fine with it. I mainly support Ganon with the Alttp design because I find the idea of the character appealing.

But for those who are still in the camp of a more "faitful" adaptation of the main Zelda villain, Ganon as a separate character is the best shot. And considering how much the classic era of Zelda is being celebrated alongside Breath of the Wild right now I wouldn't say the apparent return of Ganondrof in BOTW 2 hinders his chances.

I mean I don't think Ganon's on the fighter pass anyway and even for the next game his likeliness is hard to pin down. But BOTW 2 is not what I would call bad news for him.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Keep in mind that what we have in Smash as well as who's rumored to be in that trailer is GanonDORF. And at this point, regardless of how people feel about it the moveset Ganondorf has in Smash now is here to stay. Personally I'm now in the camp of being fine with it. I mainly support Ganon with the Alttp design because I find the idea of the character appealing.

But for those who are still in the camp of a more "faitful" adaptation of the main Zelda villain, Ganon as a separate character is the best shot. And considering how much the classic era of Zelda is being celebrated alongside Breath of the Wild right now I wouldn't say the apparent return of Ganondrof in BOTW 2 hinders his chances.

I mean I don't think Ganon's on the fighter pass anyway and even for the next game his likeliness is hard to pin down. But BOTW 2 is not what I would call bad news for him.
i think youre over thinking it, i really dont character inclusions are that complicated from all the stuff weve heard it really just comes to to sakurai saying "do i want this character in smash?"

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
We're probably gonna be sticking with the same design's in the next Smash as we did in Ultimate. At least, they didn't upgrade the Zelda cast into the skyward Sword design's in Smash 4. In fact, most characters who tend to get large redesign's over time, seem to tend to keep whatever their design was for at least two Smash games before they change them up.

So Ganondorf will probably be keeping his Ocarina appearance in the next Smash. Which I'm fine with, I kinda prefer having the whole Zelda cast represent different games in the series. Rather than having them all be based on one game (with the exception of Toon Link and probably Young Link now too).

But yeah, I'm not expecting Ganondorf to get a large drastic overhaul, regardless of what new design's he gets. After 3 games in a row, I think its safe to say Ganondorf will more or less be keeping the same overall structure he's had since the beginning with only minor tweaks over time. (Well, so long as Sakurai is on the helm at least since he doesn't like changing veterans too much...)

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
We're probably gonna be sticking with the same design's in the next Smash as we did in Ultimate. At least, they didn't upgrade the Zelda cast into the skyward Sword design's in Smash 4. In fact, most characters who tend to get large redesign's over time, seem to tend to keep whatever their design was for at least two Smash games before they change them up.
too bad he doesnt update everyones appearances

D

Deleted member

We're probably gonna be sticking with the same design's in the next Smash as we did in Ultimate.
For the most part I agree with the Zelda cast keeping the designs they have for a while. But if the next big Zelda game at the time has Link looking different from his Botw appearance than they'll probably change it to whatever that is.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Playing through Cadence of Hyrule right now. Great game, even though I suck at it.
Here's what the final boss looks like.
1560656155170.png

Oddball

Smash Lord
That's not the worst design they've ever gave Ganon, but I'm still not a big fan of it.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
It's decent. The tusks are a little too big and I'm not a big fan of the manbun, but I like it more than the OoT, TP, and BotW designs. Personally, I think he's at his best in ALBW, even if he basically just has a cameo there.

I can't believe Diddy Kong still doesn't have his backpack or redesigned rocket barrel.

StormC

Smash Hero
At least Classic Ganon has a substantial role in a recent game again. I'll take what I can get.

Definitely agree that ALBW's design is his best one, and the one I would use as the basis for Smash.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Also met teenage Ganondorf practicing his favorite instrument.
1560751147945.png

Reminds me of how the Oracle games were originally going to have Gerudo 'dorf in the same game alongside pig Ganon.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Also met teenage Ganondorf practicing his favorite instrument.

Reminds me of how the Oracle games were originally going to have Gerudo 'dorf in the same game alongside pig Ganon.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I finished up Cadence of Hyrule.

I'm surprised that for a music game, that there wasn't any Ocarinas in sight.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I finished up Cadence of Hyrule.

I'm surprised that for a music game, that there wasn't any Ocarinas in sight.
That's not the only musical item in a Zelda game. XD

...Did it have a musical item? They've been in almost every Zelda core game so far. Phantom Hourglass is the only one I remember has none. Might be more.

Kingkridley

Smash Rookie
Wait, someone ELSE wants this?! You can get my support! Let's get this pig into smash!

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I think classic Ganon is a character a lot of people would get behind if they didn't assume he's locked out because of Ganondorf and/or his Final Smash. Honestly, we've gotta make noise and participate in more fan polls. Expose people to our radical ideas!

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

...Did it have a musical item? They've been in almost every Zelda core game so far. Phantom Hourglass is the only one I remember has none. Might be more.
There were guitar-playing knights, the main macguffin instrument was a golden lute, the four bosses were Gohmaracas, Wizzroboe, Bass Guitarmos Knights, and Gleeockenspiel.

And most importantly, it had Ganondorf and Ganon on the pipe organ.

StormC

Smash Hero
I think classic Ganon is a character a lot of people would get behind if they didn't assume he's locked out because of Ganondorf and/or his Final Smash. Honestly, we've gotta make noise and participate in more fan polls. Expose people to our radical ideas!
I'm slowly but surely seeing more people warm up to the idea. I think his biggest barrier is that a lot of Zelda fans don't want another Triforce character.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I'm slowly but surely seeing more people warm up to the idea. I think his biggest barrier is that a lot of Zelda fans don't want another Triforce character.
Which is weird because I remember there being a lot of support for Toon Ganondorf some years ago, and still occasionally see it pop up.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
The night before E3 I had a dream about who the smash reveals were. One of them was some anime chick that I didn't recognize. The other one was Ganon, but it wasn't good, they literally just shrunk down the model from the boss battle in classic Mode. he was basically the same height as Ridley. And it looked awkward. they were also presented with as little Fanfare as possible, not even getting CG trailers.

Would anyone actually want that? I'm personally of the mind that the only Pig Ganon that should be playable is the one from A Link Between Worlds. And he should be a big chunky Bowser sized guy.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

I think Breath of the Wild didn't have one either and maybe Tri Force Heroes if I recall (Unless you count that bouncy ball thing in the waiting room). But yeah, the musical instruments have been quite an important element in the Zelda series. Well music in general really.
Especially the Ocarina.

Which is weird because I remember there being a lot of support for Toon Ganondorf some years ago, and still occasionally see it pop up.
I think Toon Ganondorf has been mainly a popular request in Japan, likewise for Toon Zelda.

Tetra is the only "Triforce Wielder" some fans seem to make an exception for when it comes to that. You'd think they'd do the same for Ganon at least since he also has a radically different design and abilities, but apparently his name alone holds him back with association or something...

Its nice to know that people have been warming up to him though.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
The night before E3 I had a dream about who the smash reveals were. One of them was some anime chick that I didn't recognize. The other one was Ganon, but it wasn't good, they literally just shrunk down the model from the boss battle in classic Mode. he was basically the same height as Ridley. And it looked awkward. they were also presented with as little Fanfare as possible, not even getting CG trailers.

Would anyone actually want that? I'm personally of the mind that the only Pig Ganon that should be playable is the one from A Link Between Worlds. And he should be a big chunky Bowser sized guy.
OOT Ganon wouldn't work as a fighter. Classic Ganon is the iconic design and the one whose boss battles would be the primary reference.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
OOT Ganon wouldn't work as a fighter. Classic Ganon is the iconic design and the one whose boss battles would be the primary reference.
i would argue they could get any character they wanted to work as a fighter

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Tetra is the only "Triforce Wielder" some fans seem to make an exception for when it comes to that.
I mean, I wouldn't object to Tetra. She's my favorite incarnation of Zelda, and pirates make anything better. But if it's her or classic Ganon, I'd rather have the pig boy.

StormC

Smash Hero
Question for the room:

Let's say the gods bless us with a second Fighters Pass with all Nintendo characters and Ganon is on it. I don't think it will happen but let's say it does.

What would they call him? I don't think they would just call him Ganon due to the boss battle and Spirit with that name. I was thinking about calling him Classic Ganon, sort of like Toon Link, but it doesn't feel punchy enough... Pig Ganon doesn't feel descriptive enough given the TP form.

Then it hit me: what if they called him King Ganon? It would group him nicely with King Dedede and King K. Rool, two other classic evil fat animal kings.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Question for the room:

Let's say the gods bless us with a second Fighters Pass with all Nintendo characters and Ganon is on it. I don't think it will happen but let's say it does.

What would they call him? I don't think they would just call him Ganon due to the boss battle and Spirit with that name. I was thinking about calling him Classic Ganon, sort of like Toon Link, but it doesn't feel punchy enough... Pig Ganon doesn't feel descriptive enough given the TP form.

Then it hit me: what if they called him King Ganon? It would group him nicely with King Dedede and King K. Rool, two other classic evil fat animal kings.
Maybe, but they could also just keep him as "Ganon" and rename the current Ganon spirit to "Ganon (The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time)".

I'm not opposed to King Ganon, though.

StormC

Smash Hero
Maybe, but they could also just keep him as "Ganon" and rename the current Ganon spirit to "Ganon (The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time)".

I'm not opposed to King Ganon, though.
I don't think they would rename any Spirits. In Smash 4 when Mewtwo and Lucas got added, the old trophies stayed the same.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I don't think they would rename any Spirits. In Smash 4 when Mewtwo and Lucas got added, the old trophies stayed the same.
I see. Looks like they're gonna have to name playable Ganon as "Ganon (Super Smash Bros. Ultimate)" then :p

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Just call him Ganon. No need for some special name when it fits entirely just fine. It does the job perfectly and gets it across who you're actually playing as, which is not the human form. Like, I'm sure the actual file name for the DLC character will be slightly different, but that's about it to expect.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i think theyd stick with just ganon, if they have two roys the way they are different spirits with the same name probably wouldnt bother them

also hes never really been referred to as king ganon unlike the others so it doesnt really fit

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Well, his title in Japanese is "Demon King Ganon" if I'm not mistaken, so it isn't without precedent. But the two Roys are proof positive that they wouldn't rename him.

Haibu

Smash Rookie
"Be the change you want to see in the world."
-Sakurai, probably
View attachment 228785

Damn, there's a start! Keep it up!

Thanks, Dalek_Kolt, for continuing to champion my Piggy Ganon design, btw! :D :D :D

I'm constantly thinking about reworking/updating that moveset I made all those years back.. lot of ways it could be polished up based on feedback and other ideas I see here. Maybe I'll take a day off work soon to dive back in...

Even if it is a bit of a pipe dream at this point, Classic Pig Ganon demands some gottdam respect lol

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Hey, I'm thinking of passing this thread on to someone else for take over.
If anyone is interested, feel free to let me know and I'll see if I can find a mod that can help.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
it would be odd if either puppet or phantom got in first, theres a lot of characters itd be odd if they got in before
To me even the thought of Skull Kid getting in before Pig Ganon is bizarre honestly. It would be like if Fawful got in before Bowser.

I honestly wish Sakurai would give us multiple alts for most of the characters in Smash.

These alts I would love to see.

:ultkrool:: Kaptain K. Rool, Baron K. Roolenstein, King Krusha K. Rool

:ultzelda:: Skyward Sword, Hyrule Warriors, Twilight Princess, Ocarina of Time

:ultganondorf:: Twilight Princess, Hyrule Warriors

:ultbowser:: Dry Bowser, Dark Bowser

:ultmewtwo:: Armored Mewtwo

:ultpeach:: Shadow Queen Peach

:ultluigi:: Mr. L

:ultfox:: Assault

:ultfalco:: Assault

:ultwolf:: Assault

Seeing alts of these characters' multiple game appearances instead of color palettes of them would be amazing.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
well bar the toad ones most of mine arent very active
I see. I'm kind of looking for someone that can maintain the Ganon support thread a bit better than I have since I've kind of left the thread hanging for sometime now while focusing on the Layton support thread and I don't think its fair on the folks here.

Maybe have a better written OP and whatnot.
I guess I'll see if there are any other volunteers for now and then decide who to hand the thread over to.

Top Bottom