• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Game and Watch Video Thread

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Well, all those are still big problems, yes, but G&W still deals. The bad shield is remedied by light shielding or by staying mobile, and allowing him to actually L-cancel everything would allow him to be a lot more mobile. It's probably a bad reference, but look at Brawl's G&W. Unlike other Melee chars, he's a much higher tier cuz all his aerials autocancel and he has a pretty safe dair>upB.

j00t

Smash Champion
The fact that Game and Watch can't use his shield is a major disadvantage. Lightshielding does nothing. It makes you safe from an attack but Game and Watch can not do anything out of shield due to the increased lag.

He'd still be low tier.

DualCats

Smash Ace
oh ****, guys. Help me not suck plz. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRruXnT_6O4

As much as I'd love shffl'd bairs, G&W seriously has bigger problems than l cancelling. imo, G&W's biggest problem is how he deals with pressure. That is to say, he really doesn't deal with pressure and gets combo'd to death most of the time. If G&W could l cancel, he could theoretically jump a few spots on the tier list but nothing significant. G&W is a character with a bad shield out of which he can do very little, who dies early and gets combo'd pretty effortlessly.

john!

Smash Hero
the best defense is a good offense

game and watch has amazing moves for PRESSURING OTHER PEOPLE

if they are pressuring you, do whatever it takes to get things back into a neutral position, and then PRESSURE THEM BACK

he has some crazy powerful ranged moves, make sure to use them :)

it's one of g&w's biggest strengths. i main peach, and the only other g&w player i know mains falco, and those are two other high-pressure characters that operate on the same principle

edit: just watched the match, your g&w definitely doesn't suck lol

bubbaking

Smash Hero
oh ****, guys. Help me not suck plz. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRruXnT_6O4

As much as I'd love shffl'd bairs, G&W seriously has bigger problems than l cancelling. imo, G&W's biggest problem is how he deals with pressure. That is to say, he really doesn't deal with pressure and gets combo'd to death most of the time. If G&W could l cancel, he could theoretically jump a few spots on the tier list but nothing significant. G&W is a character with a bad shield out of which he can do very little, who dies early and gets combo'd pretty effortlessly.
Well, one thing G&W has goin for him is that he has a lot more priority below him than many other chars do. That key is beastly.

I just watched your vid and your G&W is pretty good. I just think you should space your aerials better, but that's general advice that we all could probably use. Also, just wondering, is following up w/ upB really a good idea?

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
If they're floaty, don't use it below 50% or something (unless it's Jigglypuff, hitting him with the highest part is absolutely safe). At Spacies and Falcon, it's not a bad option at about 100%, when they're on the top platform. You land quickly and they get knocked down to the ground. All in all, it's safe on high percentages, but it's not a bad idea to just throw parachutes below them.

SamusPoop

Banned via Warnings
I would only side-B once per a stock after the first time you lose the amazing odds you first start with. Like half of them are pretty safe at 0% but trade one for a 1 and yeah.

Could recovery better and likly tech a few more times.

You have some amazing spacing in some of these matches.

I think you could abuse duck a little more maybe change height of his fairs or counter grabs easily.

JC grab 11 frame grab is much too slow.

I think You might need to wavedash some more I think it's faster than Your run(like race across FD)

Light sheild would've saved you from a hit many times or wd oos.

Play on the ledge more some times like You can jump up waveland back then use your new 2nd jump to dair/fair if he expects a fair right as you come up. Just need more options.

But overall enjoyed the match pretty great.

Also f-smashing as edge guard wasn't going to work. D-tilt would have been worlds better.

Also I think You would've won the first match if you weren't silly with bacon. Could've punished harder and gotten punished less.

DualCats

Smash Ace
The thing about me and shields is that I main Sheik and powershield everything. Doesn't translate so well to my G&W. It's a bad habbit. >__< I definitely need to try to lightshield more. And stop playing Sheik.

Also, that f-smash edgeguard was supposed to be buffer-roll to lightshield. Which would have been too slow to work anyway. lol.

Thanks, though. :D I really don't duck enough and I need to try to incorporate that into my game. I need to work on my ledgegames, too; that's a good observation.

SamusPoop

Banned via Warnings
Yeah a lot of times marth would just punk you into a corner and let You run into stuff. Also if You choose I think kj64 or dl64 would've been better, you need the space more and only marth gets it harder to kill you hardly the other way around.

Still like best G&W matches i've seen really.

DualCats

Smash Ace
Hah, thank you. ^ ^ This wasn't tourney; it was just some friendlies so we didn't even counterpick. That's why I was doing silly things with bacon and side-b.

DualCats

Smash Ace
Hah, I wish. This happened in my living room at a relatively small smashfest. Also, I've never heard of SRSB. Unless he/she goes or has gone by a different name.

DualCats

Smash Ace
G&W dittos are weird are scary.

One thing I've noticed about G&W players is that they tend to seize any opportunity ever to just fair. It is a pretty sexy move, but my G&W significantly improved once I started thinking in terms of combos. Whereas fairs are typically more safe than anything else, a lot of times you'd be better of trying to start juggling. dtilts and utilts can lead into grabs with bad DI and into nairs and fairs (or more utilts) even with good DI. Obvz, it's pretty character/percent dependent but G&W actually has a pretty nast combo game once you get used to his weird hitboxes. Edge-cancelled uairs are pretty tight, too. They like to lead into fairs. And you can totally launch people with the second hitbox of uair for tech-chasing through platforms. Most G&W's will just sit there and try to read the roll and fair/nair.

Be careful about approaching from above G&W. That utilt chewed through your dair like every goddamn time. Also, grabbing more would be a good idea but not to the point that it becomes an obvious mixup for your approach. You can waveland into grabs really easily and when this becomes something your opponent is accustomed to, waveland into jab or dtilt or something with better range.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Well, DualCats not only probably covered everything, but he def knows more about Watch than I do, but I'm gonna try to chip in my two cents anyway:

At the beginning you DD'd a lot. I may be wrong, but it might be better to dance using WD's instead, cuz G&W's DD isn't that great and if you mistime it just a little, you're stuck in this long skid animation. (It actually happened to you at 0:49.) And definitely work on your wavelands. That got you messed up a couple times. Also, rather than try to gimp w/ bair (which kinda knocks them up and can be SDI'd, as well), u might be better off just punishing their upB onto the stage.

Now, this was just an observation of mine, but a lot of the time, in neutral situations, you were the one to initiate and approach. I feel like G&W is a combo-heavy char who starts his combo strings by picking his opponent up inside of an opening he creates. Thus, in a ditto, I kinda think that whoever moves first is at a disadvantage. I'm not saying to play campy, but it just seemed like whenever the two of you were running around and no one really had an edge, you would get impatient and attack first and then your friend would just jab, grab, etc. The epitome of this was when you just killed yourself at the end of that last match on Yoshi's.

My final note is try to ledge-cancel more of your aerials. A lot of the stages have well-placed platforms, so take advantage of them. You can literally create a wall of hitbox if you do it right.

Anyway, this was what I saw. Take from it what you will. Nice 9-hammer, btw! ;)

Top Bottom