• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

G&W Discussion: Edgeguarding on and offstage

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
Right. So it'd be better to use pick Japes against characters with vertical recoveries, like Toon Link.

My question is: what are the possible benefits, if any, of picking the stage against horizontal recoveries in general?

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
Right. So it'd be better to use pick Japes against characters with vertical recoveries, like Toon Link.

My question is: what are the possible benefits, if any, of picking the stage against horizontal recoveries in general?
"Against" horizontal recoveries? I don't get this.

The Reverend 814

Smash Apprentice
Pan spike seems like a novelty thing to me :/
Panspike is novelty if you aren't a pro chef haha. I am a true believe of the chef and I have panspiked people so many times, all it comes down to is knowing when to use it. Hell I just got my friend with one just last night and I NEVER get it off on him cause hes good and knows my G&W but i saw him recovering just right so i ran off and boom get pan spiked. Far from novelty :)

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Not that pan spike is bad, but there are almost always better options.

I cannot think of a situation that occurs in a normal game that panspike would be the best option...

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
By "against" horizontal recoveries, I mean counterpicking that stage when your opponent is using a character who recovers horizontally, such as DK.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
My favorite edgeguard has to be.Jump out and f air>f air>jump>b air>up b>edeghog.

If a character has a very vertical based recovery its great for catching them offguard.The f air doesnt have to hit at all it just messes with your opponents head and might make them use their jump early.If not,its no skin of your nose as you still have a jump and possibility 2 more aerials for them.B air has a good chance of stage gimping them too and even if it doesnt your up b more than likely will,or it will at least give you and easy edgeguard.

I saw someone use this really well yesterday.WHO THE F**K WAS IT!

Ill post the link when I find it,cuz it was sechsy!

Ive got to say i find it really easy to edge guard Falco,Fox,Wolf,Marth and Olimar.

What about you guys?I find characters with big recoveries like Zelda,Ike(KINDA),ROB,Pit really difficult to keep offstage.

Neb

Smash Lord
Two good stunts off map are nair, and soft fair near the stage, they both can lead into an upb stage spike.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
@Hylian - I do suppose you are right about one thing, that Uair has it's uses in edgeguarding, but not in the sense I was originally talking about. My little blurb in the topic post was about using Uair as a means of Offstage interruption, in which it's inferior to many other of G&W's options. Using your examples, if you catch a Falco or Fox charging their upB, and you are able to drop down and Uair them, you could very well of done a Fair instead, gimping with the sourspot or hitting them with the sweetspot if you think you can kill them. Hell, dropping off the ledge and Bair'ing them can get them stagespiked if they are charging directly below the ledge.

I play a lot of Ness' and I can say gimping their PKT with Uair is certainly not the best choice. to gimp them you'll need to be partly under them and do it, opposed to being able to draw the PKT from the large radius of the Bucket. When not in the situation to bucket, UpB is usually a better choice than Uair as well, and I find myself doing this a lot (when it comes up that is!). Or at least, this is what I feel, so eh!

(also Ness' usually don't recover high, but Lucas' seem to do)

But, anyways, as to what I was saying, you brought up a very good point, Hylian. Uair is usually an inferior option of offstage edgeguarding, but it's actually a very potent Onstage Edgeguarding tool. The whole example of MK reminded me off how useful it is to punish free falling. Using the Uair once a Ness already starts PKT2, or a Fox with Firefox, is pretty good, and both I feel fall into onstage edgeguarding.

Anyways, I was hoping Hylian would tell us what he typically does to edgeguard. A prefered style if you will, or if he had any tricks he would like to share. Ah well, thanks for your post.

@RyN - Hylian wasn't backing you up, by any means. Your posts were really bad, and what he and A2ZOMG brought up were their own things. You never mentioned punishing the free fall state, so shut up.

and uh
there arent many things I need to reply to...
So I will give this another day and throw out my next topic!
Thats not to say this thread cant keep going, just that we will move onto the next one soon.

Hint?
**** no!

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
I was planning on doing it by whatever interested me xD
I already knew what would be next by the time I made this thread.
What do you guys have for suggestions for future topics?

LouBega

Smash Journeyman
punishing meta knights free fall is a lot of fun. did this in a tournament on saturday but we were on norfair and the lava came up just as he was about to die :-(

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
I know the next topic.

Instant turnaround b air dashing..........or if not that.

Ways to make the judgement always 9.

Except the 1st one is actually possible.

Lifes

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lifes14
My first edgeguard is Fair (weak hit) and then Fair, I am also doind Bair and UpB.
But I'm trying to footstool any characters because I found this very simple and safe compared to his Dair (spike)

Splice

Smash Hero
Nice bump^^^

Wow Mr.Esc I didn't know about this thread. This is kinda the same as the one I just made.
I wish I could formate the OP as well as you hey...

Top Bottom