• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
Any tips for playing on Field of Dreams? (I believe that's what it's called). It's the worst neutral stage for me for all characters (especially when I play falcon), but do you have any tips for this stage in particular? (For fox, of course. And for Falcon if you have the time :) )

What are you guys' opinions of empty short hopping with Fox? Good for mindgames, or don't bother?

Also, why does shortening your side-B mess people up so bad? Usually when I want to recover I just fall of the ledge then wall jump to a height slightly higher than the ledge and shorten my side B to sweetspot and it always messes up my opponent. Too good.

SpaceFalcon

Smash Lord
Any tips for playing on Field of Dreams? (I believe that's what it's called). It's the worst neutral stage for me for all characters (especially when I play falcon), but do you have any tips for this stage in particular? (For fox, of course. And for Falcon if you have the time :) )

What are you guys' opinions of empty short hopping with Fox? Good for mindgames, or don't bother?

Also, why does shortening your side-B mess people up so bad? Usually when I want to recover I just fall of the ledge then wall jump to a height slightly higher than the ledge and shorten my side B to sweetspot and it always messes up my opponent. Too good.
Theres a lot you can do with FOD and Fox. It's my favorite stage with him. Mostly because I think I have greater control over Fountain then my opponent.

Watch DaShiz use FOUNTAIN of Dreams with Falco and try incorporating with Fox. It's to vast to say how effective empty short hopping is.. if it's working then use it? You can short hop onto FOD platforms when they are low and be in neutral stance right away. Fairly useful, learn to crouch and position/shield with Fountain as well platform/ledge cancel some what.

It's just safer to assume they're doing the full forward+B then charging in and trying to counter they're short B.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
Theres a lot you can do with FOD and Fox. It's my favorite stage with him. Mostly because I think I have greater control over Fountain then my opponent.

Watch DaShiz use FOUNTAIN of Dreams with Falco and try incorporating with Fox. It's to vast to say how effective empty short hopping is.. if it's working then use it? You can short hop onto FOD platforms when they are low and be in neutral stance right away. Fairly useful, learn to crouch and position/shield with Fountain as well platform/ledge cancel some what.

It's just safer to assume they're doing the full forward+B then charging in and trying to counter they're short B.

Isn't it hard to incorporate Falco's strategies with Fox? Do you mean just like positions and how he moves around the stage?

oldmankungfu

Smash Journeyman
In a house... in Miami,Fl Close to MD South Campus
i think he means how he moves around he stage. sure they're two dif characters but you can still kind of envision fox in the place of falco... for example if ur playing fox ditos and the opponent is try to recover. in a Shiz vid the falco would most likely spike him. now replace falco with fox... wat would you do??? that my friend is the question...

Your platform game comes into play a whole lot on FoD. The same aerials reach above a platform after falling through with both of them, that makes it easier. Especially seeing as how all of their aerials do lol. Nair and bair are most critical though, Maybe fall through dair with Falco. Their short hops have the same effects on platforms I believe. On one of the levels only their backwards short ho reaches on, similar to Falcon's full hop on the top platform, on Yoshi's as well. Just master all the little way to maneuver lol. Know when you're going to edge cancel, get good at it. Has a wall by the ledge so you can WJ air dodge back up easily.

@ guy above me - Rising drill put fast fallers down a god margin. Do it on someone like Marth and be ready to avoid the quick up-B by shielding, then jump shine out of that or something. Rising nair is good for edge guarding. None of this is FoD specific though.

Lovage 805

Smash Champion
edge canceling is something every one needs to be aware of. you dont have to be good at it. just know judging by your character/trajectory/momentum and other minor factors if your move is about to cancel or not

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, say you're Marth and you do a dair, but you're DI-ing in a way that as soon as you touch the ground with the dair, your momentum carries you off of it. It's faster than l-canelling but very situational.

Falcinho

Smash Ace
Basically just DD and laser camp until he messes up his spacing and then combo him.

Edgeguard with lightshieldedgehog or if you expect him to upB very soon, shield near the edge and then shine out of shield after you blocked his upB.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Basically just DD and laser camp until he messes up his spacing and then combo him.
I don't play Fox or anything, but this is a good strat. However, watch yourself if you're at high percentages; most Marth players love to make you think that they're spacing is **** only to find that you've been goaded into a tippered f-smash or even a counter. Bob and weave in and out Marth's killzones and make sure you're the one that hits him and not the other way around.

Be wary of grabs, too.

Edit: Forgot good Marths actually use counter sometimes. Lol.

Smooth Criminal

Oskurito

Smash Lord
yo i keep getting ***** sons.

i keep getting cg'ed and edge guard ***** by marf, helppppppsssss

sos!!!!!!!!!!
try to shine him out of the u-throw, you can do this by not DIng at all or slightly (and i mean slightly >_>) DIng left or right then press downB when he's about to regrab you. It works at around 15% or maybe a little more (not sure cause is different for falco). But still, Marth can pivot grab you so beware >_>

Anyway, when getting comboed or cg'd you should focus on DIng as well as you can

Against marth is very important that you learn to tech, because most marths will just try to d-tilt, or f-smash you. Marth can also drop fair or bair you so it'll be nice if you could mix your recovery. Sweetspot and tech are the key

Is it just that? edgeguard and cgs? or there's more?

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
Not much anyone can do about Marth's edgeguarding, only mixing up recovery by illusion sweetspots, firefox "grating" sweetspots, and short-illusion fakeouts. I even try the walljump illusion recovery every once in awhile.

Question: will the "Marth-killer" work no matter how low Marth comes from beneath the stage? What I'm saying is, will Marth ever grab the edge first?

GOTM

Smash Champion
raynex nice playin ya and chilling with you canda guys all weekend, haha. also, pyrotech nice matches.

raynex, you vs. hungry was sexy as ****.

CanISmash

Smash Lord
Elmont LI, Queens. Philadelphia during semesters.
try to shine him out of the u-throw, you can do this by not DIng at all or slightly (and i mean slightly >_>) DIng left or right then press downB when he's about to regrab you. It works at around 15% or maybe a little more (not sure cause is different for falco). But still, Marth can pivot grab you so beware >_>

Anyway, when getting comboed or cg'd you should focus on DIng as well as you can

Against marth is very important that you learn to tech, because most marths will just try to d-tilt, or f-smash you. Marth can also drop fair or bair you so it'll be nice if you could mix your recovery. Sweetspot and tech are the key

Is it just that? edgeguard and cgs? or there's more?
thanks a bunch.

basically sometimes i get impatient and predictable, then i get *****, and more impatient.

but what was happening was i would get cg'ed.... the small percent you can shine out of it he would always u-tilt but im going to try some of the advice you gave. i noticed no di, or sometimes di'ing up got me a shine or an escape occasionally.

i tried to vary my approaches but basically everything seemed to end up in me getting grabbed and *****. approaching with shield then wd out of it was def not working. no matter how close i got my normal hop drills / nairs / were being dashed in, dashed out grabbed.

also i say i can tech pretty well but d-tilt goes over the ledge and more or less i would get jabbed out of ff, or illusion, then countered to some form of death.

and my shffls were being met in the air with f-airs, and n-airs. i think i was just playing sloppy but yeah.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Who did RayEnX beat... but good **** regardless man ^_^.
Wife in a $5 mm+ brackets, hungrybox

...then I got ***** by Cactuar's Marth and almost beat his Fox. Then I got beat by Darkrain. I held my own though. :)

Gotm: It was good to finally meet you. Fun times...Fox dittos all daaai. oooohhhhh

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
cools. When my set vs. Hungrybox gets put up I'll link it here. It was 1-1 and then I beat him on Corneria by one stock.

It was way too close, and I want to know what mistakes I might have made.

edit: I have vids vs. Darkrain from winner's semis too. Hands down the hardest Falcon Ive played in my life. Iuno what to do vs. him in the slightest.

GOTM

Smash Champion
lmao, you did hold your own though. hes not fair. one grab and you die, its like scar just a million times faster, and worse vs. falco, oooohhhh
haha

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Yea I'm most likely coming down. After the 1st one there is no way I can miss #2. Lol did Hungrybox tell you he lost to some scrub in hungryboxing during singles pools. I think Hbox taught him that very day, then the guy beat him.

lololol

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Yea I'm most likely coming down. After the 1st one there is no way I can miss #2. Lol did Hungrybox tell you he lost to some scrub in hungryboxing during singles pools. I think Hbox taught him that very day, then the guy beat him.

lololol
<3 <3 <3

Awesome. So Canada will be representing at TGMT 2.

Good ****. I need to get ***** by your Fox again in pools.

Smooth Criminal

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
This game involving your hands and numbers that multiple people can play. Hungrybox/Eggz taught us it at TGMTSBCO tournament in Georgia..and from then on it was known as hboxing.

Top Bottom