• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

SCOTU

Smash Hero
by mindgaming them w/ dash dancing, empty shffls, and wavelanding. just do some really sexy platform movement until there's an opening, then fall through/ slide off w/ a bair/ nair.

Oh, and for the record, you should actually be thinking about the sexy platform movement, try to do it in a way that will provoke an attack. then don't get hit by it, and beat them in the face and waveshine combo them to death. i don't care who they are, just shine them to death.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
What are some good ways to approach someone BELOW a platform when you're above them?
If their are other platforms near you then jump to those and platform dash around. Also the best way to get down probably is to run off the edge and fastfall a bair and l-cancel into your shield.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
not always, sometimes that can be the most obvious and direct solution, and your opponent won't see it. the key is to mix it up, and try to make them attack you and miss.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
you should. you're manliness will increase ten fold. the first time you play him.

On Topic: what tends to have more priority from above, Fox's Nair, bair, or dair?

kerploplesteesh

Smash Journeyman
uhmmm... if youre above them, like on a platform i tend to use bair it has a nice reach and will **** up that peach dsmash. prioritywise i think nair and bair have the greatest.

(someone correct me if im wrong, im sure priority listings are in Omni's guide)

dawn001

Smash Ace
i have a question how do you do a backward waveshine i cant seem to do it fast enough can anyone help me?? i see a video of someone doing it but how does he do it?
this is the vid
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IAAO8vsh5k8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IAAO8vsh5k8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

SCOTU

Smash Hero
i think i just answered this question... Practice. That's all there is to it. It's also not that useful, and i don't ever use it.

dawn001

Smash Ace
i think i just answered this question... Practice. That's all there is to it. It's also not that useful, and i don't ever use it.
well the only reason why iam asking is because i have almost perfected the drillshine infinite but the problem with that is that when i do it sometimes my apponent goes in the opposite direction when i drillshine and when that happens i cant follow my drillshine

Mr.Jaskolski

Smash Ace
Fox is the gayest character in the game so to be equally gay I started using him, but it's so hard to short hop w/ him. I play with Falco and Falcos short hops are so much easier to do why the hell cant i short hop with Fox everytime? I tried everything I just cant seem to do it everytime

dawn001

Smash Ace
Fox is the gayest character in the game so to be equally gay I started using him, but it's so hard to short hop w/ him. I play with Falco and Falcos short hops are so much easier to do why the hell cant i short hop with Fox everytime? I tried everything I just cant seem to do it everytime
......what you dont know how to shot hop with fox what is wrong with you how long have you play the game?......anyway fox short hop is done in 3 ways you could tap the Y button , X button or you could use the control stick just tap it gently .......the first time i was practicing the short hop with fox i notice that i need my thumb nail to be a little bigger so that i could short hop..but hay that just me....if you cant short hop with fox just let your thumb nail grow a little and then tap the X button is mush easy

Mr.Jaskolski

Smash Ace
Well I do all my jumps with the X, by the way Im no noob I've been playing a while and never even used Fox....ever. Anyways he's just so touch..y and Ill over jump w/ him some times it messin me up. I dont even really use fast characters. I tried joystick short hops but Fox will stop in mid air and drop I only use the joy stick for the double laser

dawn001

Smash Ace
Well I do all my jumps with the X, by the way Im no noob I've been playing a while and never even used Fox....ever. Anyways he's just so touch..y and Ill over jump w/ him some times it messin me up. I dont even really use fast characters. I tried joystick short hops but Fox will stop in mid air and drop I only use the joy stick for the double laser
well then i guess that means that you are not a fox player thats all fox is not for you

Pat/Pro

Smash Ace
I let my thumb slide off the x button instead of pressing it. I find X easier since I use c stick for all arials except n air obviously. And sliding it off actually makes the movement go in that direction.

dawn001

Smash Ace
I let my thumb slide off the x button instead of pressing it. I find X easier since I use c stick for all arials except n air obviously. And sliding it off actually makes the movement go in that direction.
yeah thats what i do to i dont press it i let it slide off so is much easy

icefox

Smash Rookie
Im new with fox, infact, I'm new to Super smash Brothers Melee. It has been about 5 days since I have been playing and I seem to have gotten a handle on wave dashing, but I can only seem to wave shine once. I shine, then wave dash, then shine again, but instead of the shield coming out, I do the dodge thing instead (when you press R+down or L+down) It would be great if you could help me with this.

Concerning marth, I cant seem to get around his counter move. Whenever I throw him up and try to follow with the up A attack (like all the guides suggest) I am always swatted away with his counter. If I try to spike him, it either causes him to land back on stage, or he counters, causing me to die. If I start comboing...he counters. Please help me with this, cause I really wanna beat marth.

Thank you

By the way, my friend always picks the "Final destination" stage to play on.

Goldkirby

Smash Ace
Im new with fox, infact, I'm new to Super smash Brothers Melee. It has been about 5 days since I have been playing and I seem to have gotten a handle on wave dashing, but I can only seem to wave shine once. I shine, then wave dash, then shine again, but instead of the shield coming out, I do the dodge thing instead (when you press R+down or L+down) It would be great if you could help me with this.

Concerning marth, I cant seem to get around his counter move. Whenever I throw him up and try to follow with the up A attack (like all the guides suggest) I am always swatted away with his counter. If I try to spike him, it either causes him to land back on stage, or he counters, causing me to die. If I start comboing...he counters. Please help me with this, cause I really wanna beat marth.

Thank you

By the way, my friend always picks the "Final destination" stage to play on.
To deal wih the counter:

1. Up-throw
2. Empty jump near him and wait for the counter.
3. Profit.

icefox

Smash Rookie
I have tried that, but he always knows when I'm faking an attack or doing a real one. If i delay too long to attack him, he does an arial attack, and then starts comboing.

Do you have any tips for my wave shine and using my spike shield on him?

Thank you for taking your time to answer, though:)

SCOTU

Smash Hero
1. Uthrow>uair, just do it faster. or, DJ above, and FF into an uair. (just thought of that right now, so it might not work)
2. Waveshineing, Practice. Seems to me, you're just holding down R too long while wavedashing. Just make sure you release R as fast as you can. (Or L whichever you use)
3. ShineSpiking, situational. Best to use your ledge invincibility.

@ Discussion above. Definitive method of short hopping: slide finger off the bottom/ left of x/y respectively.

icefox

Smash Rookie
thank you very much, this will help a lot . As it turns out, I was holding the R too long...

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
ok i read through this but didn't see anything..i can't get any agreement from people on the best way to DI fox's upairs

so we have 3 things to work with, smash DI, asdi, and regular di. Regular DI is only concerned with surviving if both hits connected..so i guess i shouldn't worry about that.

So the question is..should my goal be to smash DI and ASDI up to get out of the first upair..or should i DI away the upthrow and then smash DI the opposite direction from which they are coming...

obviously if by chance both should hit i should then rolll the stick to normal DI the upair. Anyways, i remember reading a lost post on this about 3 months ago in the fox forums...but people were arguing the point and i didn't sit around to see what the conclusion was

AznxFighter

Smash Rookie
I see a lot people use their double laser with short hop. i was wondering how they do that x__x
Do you need to position your fingers somehow? Or do they just press up and shoot?
Can someone tell me :3
Thanks in advance.

icefox

Smash Rookie
I see a lot people use their double laser with short hop. i was wondering how they do that x__x
Do you need to position your fingers somehow? Or do they just press up and shoot?
Thanks in advance.
You basically fire 2 shots while you're short hopping. I dont use this technique very much because I just can't see the advantage in it (although, its a great way to show off after a kill), but that may be due to the fact that I am new to SSBM. I prefer doing the full jump+3 lazer shots if I have to use a Lasr techniqe.

A good way to short hop is to use your thumb nail to press the edge of the X or Y button. After that, quickly fire 2 shots. The timing may be difficult at first, it took me a few minutes to get it down, but after that, it becomes really easy.

Hope that answers your question.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
ok i read through this but didn't see anything..i can't get any agreement from people on the best way to DI fox's upairs

so we have 3 things to work with, smash DI, asdi, and regular di. Regular DI is only concerned with surviving if both hits connected..so i guess i shouldn't worry about that.

So the question is..should my goal be to smash DI and ASDI up to get out of the first upair..or should i DI away the upthrow and then smash DI the opposite direction from which they are coming...

obviously if by chance both should hit i should then rolll the stick to normal DI the upair. Anyways, i remember reading a lost post on this about 3 months ago in the fox forums...but people were arguing the point and i didn't sit around to see what the conclusion was
Use the C-stick up, to asdi upward, and jam the control stick to the side to SDI/ DI.

Thanks in advance.
i slide my thumb from y>bb. easy as hell.

You basically fire 2 shots while you're short hopping. I dont use this technique very much because I just can't see the advantage in it (although, its a great way to show off after a kill), but that may be due to the fact that I am new to SSBM. I prefer doing the full jump+3 lazer shots if I have to use a Lasr techniqe.

A good way to short hop is to use your thumb nail to press the edge of the X or Y button. After that, quickly fire 2 shots. The timing may be difficult at first, it took me a few minutes to get it down, but after that, it becomes really easy.

Hope that answers your question.
It's good for spamming lasers at a distance at characters such as peach and marth who will get hit by both. And the SHL/ RSHL is also a REALLY good laser technique.

dawn001

Smash Ace
What do you guys do to practice with fox when you have no one to play against?
well me hmm when i dont have anyone around i play with levels 1 for training my fox move combos..but if i want to see how i can think fast with my fox i play my fox vs 2 level 9 like ganon,and falco why well if you play both of them at the same time you will see that they are a good team why well if you jump gano will get you with the up B and if you are in the ground falco will shoot you so is hard but its good training why well it makes you think faster well to me it does

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Generally practicing against cpu lvl 9's are only going to hurt your playing against humans, even if they're on a team, they'll still make you form bad habits.

Me, i go into training mode, and waveshine/ drillshine the hell out of every character short of shinefallers. And i'll then shl / rshl all around, practice my jc shines (well, they get some practice in waveshining, but i use them out of shield an such). I also firestall a bit, and edge wavedash.

ON ANOTHER NOTE, I REALLY CAME HERE TO SAY THAT I DISCOVERED AN AMAZING NEW SHINE COMBO (but i'm not releasing it until after FC, i'll release it at the same time as my previously un-announched research project, which is also ready for release, just waiting until after FC).

WFL

Smash Journeyman
ON ANOTHER NOTE, I REALLY CAME HERE TO SAY THAT I DISCOVERED AN AMAZING NEW SHINE COMBO (but i'm not releasing it until after FC, i'll release it at the same time as my previously un-announched research project, which is also ready for release, just waiting until after FC).
lulz.

On a more on topic note. I seem to get a lot of kills with waveshined up smashes and I'm wondering if there's even a point to the shine. I know the shine comes out in 1 frame, but an up smash is still pretty fast and it seems easier with the range of the up smash just to get the kill.

Another question, I played a couple of matches against a cheap, stupid kirby (I know, I know, whatever it takes to win) that just used b and jumped of the edge and got the kill without dying. Whats the best method of getting out of Kirby's b? I really don't care because I just picked Doc and 4 stocked him, but it sorta pissed me off.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
About waveshines>usmash, drillkicks lead into shines very well, but not usmashes (unless they decide not to shield for some reason).

Pat/Pro

Smash Ace
drillkicks to grab is something you should definitely get down especially since up throw to up air is so good against so many characters.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
question: what frame interval do you have to Di a fox's shine with smash DI?

ie how many frames of hit stun do you take..i know the shine comes out in one frame..but i have no clue how long hit stun lasts

Goldkirby

Smash Ace
Make a thread!!!!!!!

>_>

SCOTU

Smash Hero
question: what frame interval do you have to Di a fox's shine with smash DI?

ie how many frames of hit stun do you take..i know the shine comes out in one frame..but i have no clue how long hit stun lasts
The shine comes out on frame 1, then frames 2,3,4 are hit stun, frame 5,6 are nothing, starts reflecting/ jump out-able at frame 7.

Make a thread!!!!!!!

>_>
I'll have two threads when i get back from FC, one on my newest shine combo, one on a bunch of frame data/ game physics i collected. These boards seriously need more activity, so i've decided i'm gonna write several articles/ interactive articles for it. (similar to JFox's counterpick stages).

Foxen: keep these boards active!

Top Bottom