• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Is it weird that I can Drillshine Flatland Infinite a Link during a match but I can't waveshine infinite them?
Na, once i started drillshining, it took me a bit before i could waveshine normally again. (still not very good at drillshining link, but can do it to everyone peach through sheik).

TwilightKing

Smash Cadet
Na, once i started drillshining, it took me a bit before i could waveshine normally again. (still not very good at drillshining link, but can do it to everyone peach through sheik).
Oh..Ok. Because I use to drillshine without the C-stick and when i started using it I could do the drillshine infinite almost perfectly then I tried to go from a drillshine to a waveshine combo and I started messing up after the 3rd wavedash

So I think I'll think with Drillshining. Thanks

SCOTU

Smash Hero
You switched to drillshining w/ c-stick to infinite? i switched from c to z. much easier to get all 6 hits of the drill and make it come out asap.

LaserBust

Smash Journeyman
Alright I have question. How does foxes Dashed into shine works.. I mean I can waveshine all day but I just recently started Dashin into my waveshines (Ive been dashin into Sex kicks and Dairs) to pratice my Thunder Combo .(We just recently got a new falco in the city and hes not beating me..) The promblem is sometimes I dont get the shine off and instead fox just crowches.. I rly dont have the patience to figure out what im doing. Also is it just me or does it seem slow? Mayb im rushing it.. anyway any help would be appreciated.

Excel_Zero

Smash Lord
What you are doing is canceling the Dash animations with the crouch, which puts you in a normal standing position in which you can do any move, BUT you are still sliding a bit from the dash. Just get the timming on when Fox canceled the animation and he is actually standing instead of dashing. Hope this helps.

TwilightKing

Smash Cadet
You switched to drillshining w/ c-stick to infinite? i switched from c to z. much easier to get all 6 hits of the drill and make it come out asap.
Really? I'll try that later. I use the C-stick because If I need to I can fastfall the Drill, L-cancel it and Waveshine perfectly. I'll try that , Thanks Alot...Oh and I got my Waveshining Infinite back again :p Guess I just needed an Intense warm-up to bring my movement memory and hand coordination back.

Goldkirby

Smash Ace
Yo, I was looking at Mew2King's smash frame data and such, but I didn't see too much about priority of attacks on there. I know that the bigger the hitbox, and faster the attack comes out, then generally the higher priority it has. I heard there was some other guy who did one of these lists? If there isn't one of these lists, then I would be interested in compiling a huge table comparing every single attack in the game, ranking them by priority from highest to lowest. However in order to do this, I would need some help from someone who as an AR, since season's hitbox site doesn't seem to be up anymore. I think one of these priority lists would be very useful knowledge just in general.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
i'm pretty sure that for priority, it's based on the the moves hitbox disjointedness. the more a hitbox sticks out over beyond the hurtbox, the more priority it has because the larger the enemy hitbox can be with yours still connecting first.

@twilightKing: it's simple: hold down, press x then z one frame later than you would for a jc grab, l-cancel it, shine, move thumbstick horizontal (or close to it), wavedash, return control stick to down position, repeat. It involves minimal movement of the control stick (only for WDing, and moving while Drill kicking).

@LaserBust: it is kinda slow. if you want to do it faster, JC the shine (a little harder to do, and i don't think you slide as much).

Edit: i know i wanted to ask a question, but i don't remember what it was now. next time i'll ask first, then answer others.

nice1

Smash Lord
can anyone give me tips on fight peach. I read the guide on how to play fox and i wanted to see if i can pick up more tips. My problem is that when i try to hit the peach player when with a nair i either go over them or when i try to shfflc it i'm still not hitting him. Also i try to run and spam him with lasers but he pressures me with turnips and floating towards me leaving me close to the edge. Also he spams the cc dsmash often so its hard for me to get in a nair or a drillshine sometimes but when he messes up and i try to jc grab him just before he finishes the dsmash he somehow spot dodges and i'm left eating his dsmash. Can somone help me with this match up. Such as approachal, tips, what moves to use, and when to move in for an attack

Gerbil

Smash Champion
Nice1:

The key to beating Prac (I know he's the Peach you're after >.>) Is to come at him from above at all times. Play the platform game to your advantage, but never approach him from below or face first. He has a bad pressure game, so just turn to heat onto him.

LaserBust

Smash Journeyman
Ok peach hurts vs space animals, that is a fact, so you have to play smart. If ppl cc me and own me with it, I try to lure em into ccing again, and when they do I usualy am able to get a quick waveshine combo started. (usualy not that ez tho =[) Allways Shffl yur Dairs and Nairs and try to waveshine after em to keep the peach on her toes and off that crazy Dsmash. Watch yur shinin, if yur slow at it (Have to crowch for a second b4 pullin it off) you may get punished and eat 50 or so dmg and mayb even a get KOed. Allways when recovoring watch out for the Dsmash, try to walltech it if unavoidable. Ko peach verticly.. or you want KO her at all, lmao. So your usefull moves will be Uthrow, Uair, Usmash.. pretty much anything up. Shes ez to waveshine just dont slip up.. Turnip wise.. I usualy (if shes farther out) grab em, and approach with it myself, lol. If shes rushing you with em waveshine it, you may get lucky, the turnip hitting her and u can follow it up with w.e. Ahh.. and most importantly, Dont forget to Taunt.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Why does fox rarely catch the edge after an air dodge where other's can? Does this have to do w/ fall speed? and how does one catch the edge after an air dodge w/ fox? thnx.

Anther

Smash Champion
Its cause Fox's "I can't grab the ledge" Animation is a bit longer than most characters. Thusly, you need to be a bit higher than most characters need to in order to grab the ledge after Air-Dodging with him.
<3

SCOTU

Smash Hero
oh, on aerials: use z if you need it really fast off the ground... like for flatland drillshining...

Tips on mastering flatland drillshining: waveshine at perfect speed, do the drill kick the first frame you're in the air (like jc'ing a grab w/ marth), and don't drillshine>drillshine>repeat, mix in waveshines.

Excel_Zero

Smash Lord
Why does fox rarely catch the edge after an air dodge where other's can? Does this have to do w/ fall speed? and how does one catch the edge after an air dodge w/ fox? thnx.
Yes it does have to do with fall speed. To grab the ledge you need to be like... a distance of two dodges straight up or so. Practice and it may prove useful to you.

Synyster

Smash Rookie
When I usually try and L-cancel, if I see my shield pop up for a second then disappear, does that mean I'm not letting go of the L button fast enough? And should I be pressing the L button all the way down, or only slightly down so that I can release it faster?

SCOTU

Smash Hero
yeah, it means that you're holding l for too long. either works (clicking/ depressing), most ppl suggest only slightly pushing it, or using z so as not to mess w/ teching, but i push l all the way in.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
sorry about the double post (there's days between them).

To do a waveshine>dash, do you return the control stick to neutral during waveland lag, then smash to the side when said lag is finished?

EDIT: Nevermind, i got it.

DRD

Smash Lord
Sheesh, I can't stand how hard it is for me to do a shorthop with Fox. If I'm given 3 frames to do it it seems impossible to do it consistenly, while fastfalling and lcanceling aerials afterwards. =/ I mean, I found that I physically cannot press X that fast. I've tried for about an hour straight, just jabbing it, or just pressing it as ligtly, or as fast as I can, nothing works. I was able to shorthop maybe 20 times out of about the hundreds of times I tried.

TwilightKing

Smash Cadet
Sheesh, I can't stand how hard it is for me to do a shorthop with Fox. If I'm given 3 frames to do it it seems impossible to do it consistenly, while fastfalling and lcanceling aerials afterwards. =/ I mean, I found that I physically cannot press X that fast. I've tried for about an hour straight, just jabbing it, or just pressing it as ligtly, or as fast as I can, nothing works. I was able to shorthop maybe 20 times out of about the hundreds of times I tried.
ok..I have imperical knowledge that fox is the hardest to Shorthop with...To make this short use the sliding method of short hopping. basically have your thumb on the A button and just slide it OVER the X or Y button, X is alot easier while Y is harder but not impossible. Its more of a snap then a slide but you get the idea, you know your doing it right when you barley even touch the jump button of choice, and your jump is shorter than usual :p Do this for about a week and you'll be doing shorthops as if it were second nature in about a week, depending on how much you play.

Ok now that I've help someone I need some help myself :p

I just came back form a big smash fest and I got my *** handed to me by a falco player. This is basically what happened:
I ran in with some lasers, did some drillshine to waveshines and some chain throw combos, he Di'ed the throws, starting teh Gae Nair to Shine combos, I teched it, I shield grabbed it but he would just Blaster pressure me break my shields and come in with it again.

So i lost, badly, i threw the rest of the fights just to study he's techniques. There is a LAST and HUGE melee tourney at the end of the summer and I want to be well prepared for this guy. I have alot of technical skill I just need some good advice on what to do!!!

SCOTU

Smash Hero
there's a thread on dealing w/ falco's blaster pressure. make sure to use the throw combos (chainthrow to 55%, or just uthrow>usmash and usmash some more). if you see a pattern in their recovery, try to shine spike them (if they firebird). Edgetech falco's edgegaurding. try drillgrabs to get falco off the edge.

In general, try to get falco off the edge, and then edgegaurd.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
or just shl>shine since shl is faster than falco's but the shdl isn't. Waveshielding works too. plus full hopped nairs. i suggest using the Flying Falcon technique (if you were playing CF). If you're not familiar with this technique, i suggest you watch Smash Tom's Tutorial Vids. You can really learn a lot.

TwilightKing

Smash Cadet
crap, :p Did I say Nair to shine combos :?? Sorry I meant dair to shine combos..Oh and scotu, I play falcon too he is my third best characte but I've never heard of the flying falcon. My Falco is mainly uses ShFFL combos, not alot of arials unless its a knee.

Anyways, I handled his blaster spamming pretty well but I have problems with the nair combos. If I try to shield grab he breaks my shield, If I tech it he pressures me with the blaster and then follows up with more Dairs, I just want to know the best approach to avoid the or atleast be able to stop this combo quickly. As I said Im a technical player and i don't have alot of tourney experience.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
@ TwilightKing:
DI away like mad once in a combo. If he's pillaring you, hold away on the c-stick while in shield.
and on the Flying Falcon, you really need to see Smash Tom's Falcon Tutorial.

@Retroking:
Don't worry about trying this. It's an AR only thing really. Called the Shine Tank.
Those are Multishines (jc shines) w/ DI on the frames Fox is in the air. It's just like a normal jc shine, but with the control stick to the side between the jump and the shine. You can do a mock up version of this by doing normal multishines w/ a slight sidewards angle of the control stick.

TwilightKing

Smash Cadet
what is the best direction to DI from the Dair and the shine? I Randomly DI from combos like that just so its harder for him to predict my DI but what is the proper way to Di this thing?
Oh and you are speaking of smashtoms tutorial on CF right?

SCOTU

Smash Hero
yeah, (it's a joke tutorial for the record).

DI random works well. If you want, DI in front to avoid the bair, but fox will probably almost alwyas be able to be hit by the dair, so it doesn't matter. Just DI randomly to the side. full to the side. It's just a piece of **** that happens to fox. If you want, asdi the shine down, and ground it. that sometimes escapes it, or gets you killed.

TwilightKing

Smash Cadet
Thanks alot..and Yes I did figure it was a joke tutorial. I watched the video a couple of weeks ago but stopped like a minute into it because the "combos" were one that would never work on a human.

TwilightKing

Smash Cadet
uh... As far as I know Fox can do it :p . Pillaring is not definite but its the act of breaking through or eating away at an opponents shield with either a shffled move or , with fox, Multiple shining until it breaks or forcing them to let down their shield because it may break. With Fox's move set this can be by Shfflng his Dair and throwing some shines between them or for a even harder and more flashy move try multiple shining them.
-Hope that helps-

SCOTU

Smash Hero
I'm not certain, but i was under the impression that the term "pillar" referred explicitly to falco's dair>shine. and that the "fox pillar" is fox's dair>shine. you just repeat shffld drillshines to pressure their shield. by no means is this probable to break it. not even w/ falco. if you feel like being special (like me) you start multishining when they're shield is low.

TwilightKing

Smash Cadet
uhh...I think I was mistaken on that lol. Sorry. Doraki explained that to me a while ago I guess I misheard :p

Anyways I was looking over a couple of match up threads and in a falco match up they always recommend using FH instead of SH Nairs... why is that? Does it have something to do with the Nair out proiritizing most of Falco's aerials or does it have to do with keepng out of reach from Falco's Shuffled Dair?

Top Bottom