• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Shynobi

Smash Rookie
Jabbing

I have a question. =p
I've watched many 1v1 fox vids and a few of them do this little signature taunt.
Basically, they stand in the same place jabbing at a fast pace. If anyone can tell me how to do that, that would be great. =]

Shynobi

Smash Rookie
Jabbing

I have a question. =p
I've watched many 1v1 fox vids and a few of them do this little signature taunt.
Basically, they stand in the same place jabbing at a fast pace. If anyone can tell me how to do that, that would be great. =]

Mighty_mo76

Smash Apprentice
Help with multi shine!

I havent checked this thread to see if this was already answered, but you did say to ask away so...How can I do multiple shines very quickly while not leaving the ground. I'm trying to press B and Y with my index and middle finger, respectively, but I always jump after the first one (Ipress the buttons really fast):urg:

Mighty_mo76

Smash Apprentice
I'm trying to do it, but just keep jumping.

It helpsa bit, but I just cant stray on the ground. Am I supposed to hold down the control stick continously? Or just press down when press B afyter sliding from Y? Is this even possible! (sorry, I'm a complete n00b! haha...):psycho:

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Simple. Hold down the whole time. (you can just press down between y & b, but it's only really useful from jcing a shine out of shield or dash.) Then you slide from Y>b. lift your finger, and repeat the process.

Mighty_mo76

Smash Apprentice
Geez, you guys know EVERYTHING!

Many thanks, sorry for my complete n00biness!:laugh:I'm trying to short hop with Fox, but the time frame of 3-4 frames seems ridiculous for me to release X/Y. Any tips on how to practice?(like fingernails or slides, etc..):psycho:(its been a couple hours and I'm already better, haha this is great!

SCOTU

Smash Hero
you have to release x/y/up within 3 frames of pressing it. I suggest sliding your thumb off the bottom of x, or the left of y. I use x for shffls, since it puts your thumb in prime c-stick position, and y for say, an shdl, since it puts your finger in prime b-button position.

Edit: i only try to know everything. The more you know, the better you can be. The only person that appears to actually know everything is M2K though...

2nd Edit: Silent Wolf's fox practically gave me an orgasm at FC. keep up the good ****. and try to keep lasering, when you stopped lasering, 4% always got you w/ the uthrow>rest. You'd always start off strong lasering, then decide to go full out close range, and it always cost you. But still amazing ****.

Oh you saw that? That was so gay of a set XD.
But 4%'s not that bad. Him and klap trap are too good of a team though. :p

Mighty_mo76

Smash Apprentice
I up smash out of shield by doing the old fashioned Up A way. I dont c stick becasue you got to jumo cancel your shield (cancel the shield by jumping) and the c stick does notlet you jump. Analog stick upwards counts as a jump so a smash Up A works. NOTE* you have to let go of shield before pressing the "A" or else you'll shield grab:)

If you do it fast enough just shield, let go of shield, and finally up smash A (anyone please correct me if I'm wrong!:laugh:)

Question: I got my shuffles down (kinda, i do them mostly without the "sh" part) but how do I practice my waveshine efectively. What is your favorite button sequence to do it and with which fingers? (I WD with R):confused:

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Umm...that doesn't work at all.

Direct question to silentwolf: What is the easiest/best way to upsmash out of shield? ie. how do you do it?
Technically, no it doesn't. You have to press up 1-2 frames before c-up. In order to JC it. Personally, i use c for shield smashing since you want it to be uncharged (because you're breaking pressure), and up-a is often charged even just a little can be too slow sometimes.

I am curious though: Silent Wolf, Do you you Claw? i didn't watch your hands while you played (i watched the game, foo)

Mighty_mo76

Smash Apprentice
Haha:laugh: Good point scotu! I tried you're way and it's better for me since I'm used to c-sticking all of my aerials, its almost instinctive for me to c stick my up smash out of shield!

de_gLory^

Smash Cadet
drill shine

I can waveshine perfectly, but i always had trouble with drillshining. I used my nair to shine and now Im trying to learn to drillshine. Can you say me how i`ve to cancel the drill? My friend said that you have to press like u would tech, but it doesnt work goodly for me. :(

And any tips for sh with fox? I`ve sometimes troubles with it... i heard about the "clack" method where you slide above the x or y button but i cant find the video. Help would be nice

Mighty_mo76

Smash Apprentice
I think I can help

I can waveshine perfectly, but i always had trouble with drillshining. I used my nair to shine and now Im trying to learn to drillshine. Can you say me how i`ve to cancel the drill? My friend said that you have to press like u would tech, but it doesnt work goodly for me. :(
If I understand your question correctly, then you need to learn how to L-cancel (this is what your friend was referring to when he said it was kinda like teching)

L-canceling is a way to make the recovery animation of an aerial attack reduced by half, and thus shortenong the lag time (timeframe in which you can't do anything)

For example, use link in training mode and do the dair. You will see that it takes forever for him to pull out his word. To L-cancel simply press L, R, or Z after the aerial attack, but right before you hit the ground (just like teching) when you get the timing right (varies by character), Link will pull out his sword alot faster!

By combining Fox's L-canceled dair, with a shine, you are drillshining! I hope this helps:)

*Note* Go to the "Meet and Greet forum" on the home page (one of the first forums) and it will direct you to a link showing you all of the advanced and basic moves including L-canceling):cool:

SCOTU

Smash Hero
No I don't use the claw scotu.
Good man.

When is the right time to waveshine, and how often should I do it?
Whenever you hit someone w/ a shine. Not when you hit their shield.

Alright, My turn for a Question!
If a peach groundfloats something at you, say at like head level, is it possible to jump out of shield if they do it correctly? (i'm honestly clueless on the frame data involving floating peaches). Can you jump out at lower heights? Any help is appreciated.

Just get used to the timing of B during certain points in the illusion to shorten it at certain points. It's different from Falco's if that helps.

Also, thanks a lot, scotu for helping answer a lot of these questions. :D

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
I have a question about the Thunder's combo. I can do it when walking, dashing, or from a nair in which Falco or Fox pop up slightly but I can not do a Thunder's combo in just a standing position. Is it possible to Thunder's combo from just the standing position?

Another question I have is not really a question that would involve only fox, but it seems the most applicable with Fox. Would it be better to learn to wavedash from a short hop? As of right now when I plan on wavedashing I always just press X or Y fully. I've only just started varying short hops out of shines when I know they plan on shielding the shine. Just made me curious to whether I should practice wavedashing with a sh execution rather than a full jump.

I have a question about the Thunder's combo. I can do it when walking, dashing, or from a nair in which Falco or Fox pop up slightly but I can not do a Thunder's combo in just a standing position. Is it possible to Thunder's combo from just the standing position?

Another question I have is not really a question that would involve only fox, but it seems the most applicable with Fox. Would it be better to learn to wavedash from a short hop? As of right now when I plan on wavedashing I always just press X or Y fully. I've only just started varying short hops out of shines when I know they plan on shielding the shine. Just made me curious to whether I should practice wavedashing with a sh execution rather than a full jump.
1 - Yes you can do it form standing position, you just need to waveshine faster and further.

2 - Just release Y/X as fast as you need to so you can execute you next move.

de_gLory^

Smash Cadet
If I understand your question correctly, then you need to learn how to L-cancel (this is what your friend was referring to when he said it was kinda like teching)

L-canceling is a way to make the recovery animation of an aerial attack reduced by half, and thus shortenong the lag time (timeframe in which you can't do anything)

For example, use link in training mode and do the dair. You will see that it takes forever for him to pull out his word. To L-cancel simply press L, R, or Z after the aerial attack, but right before you hit the ground (just like teching) when you get the timing right (varies by character), Link will pull out his sword alot faster!

By combining Fox's L-canceled dair, with a shine, you are drillshining! I hope this helps:)

*Note* Go to the "Meet and Greet forum" on the home page (one of the first forums) and it will direct you to a link showing you all of the advanced and basic moves including L-canceling):cool:
What are you telling me?
Omg im not a noob^^ I shffle already since a year, but i changed to fox.
I can shffle nearly perfect but ive troubles with canceling the dair of fox, because it has another timing to l cancel it. So can sum 1 say me how the timing goes?

SCOTU

Smash Hero
What are you telling me?
Omg im not a noob^^ I shffle already since a year, but i changed to fox.
I can shffle nearly perfect but ive troubles with canceling the dair of fox, because it has another timing to l cancel it. So can sum 1 say me how the timing goes?
Well, for each hit of the drill you take 3 frames of hit lag, slowing your airtime down by 3 frames/ hit. So you just need to time it based on the number of hits that connect. Remember that to l-cancel, you need, depress L/R (more than it was the previous frame) within 6 frames of landing.

btw, your original post did make you sound new to this game and advanced techniques, he was just answering what looked appropriate. Don't be hating.

de_gLory^

Smash Cadet
Well, for each hit of the drill you take 3 frames of hit lag, slowing your airtime down by 3 frames/ hit. So you just need to time it based on the number of hits that connect. Remember that to l-cancel, you need, depress L/R (more than it was the previous frame) within 6 frames of landing.

btw, your original post did make you sound new to this game and advanced techniques, he was just answering what looked appropriate. Don't be hating.
Yeah its ok, i`m not a flamer :p

That means ive to press l earlier? When?? I`m not perfect at english :laugh:

SCOTU

Smash Hero
not necessarily. It means you have to hit L just as you would normally. Right before you hit the ground. the more hits of the drill that connect, the later you'll have to press L. For this reason, you can't just have a set timing for pressing L like you might for say, a nair. Just judge the timing by when your about to touch the ground. Also, remember, that to L cancel, you don't have to press L in all the way, so you could in theory just slowly move L in as you're drilling, and stop when you land, to guarantee yourself an L cancel. However, i find it difficult to continously slowly press in L, but if you don't, go for it.

Mighty_mo76

Smash Apprentice
Oh man! Sorry da gLory! If anyone's a noob on this forum its me!:laugh:
*bows down and worships in humility as he accepts his inferiority*:chuckle:

Iv'e been shuffling for only a couple of weeks! haha... You know what, thanks for your question beacuase I needed to know the answer also. I always l-cancel too early since I never took into account the added lag for each hit. :cool:

Giggidax

Smash Ace
oh yea, well in this case im talking about frame speed wise. like falcon has a bit more lag on his dair than fox's dair.
and fox can probably shffl more attacks than falcon i think

atomicd

Smash Rookie
I think these two questions have most likely been answered, but I don't understand completely how to do them.

#1- To short hop double laser, how do you do it exactly? Is there an L-cancel in there or something.

#2-In waveshining, is there anything special to it? L-cancel or something?

Please help. THANKS!!

-Atomicd

Oskurito

Smash Lord
I think these two questions have most likely been answered, but I don't understand completely how to do them.

#1- To short hop double laser, how do you do it exactly? Is there an L-cancel in there or something.

#2-In waveshining, is there anything special to it? L-cancel or something?

Please help. THANKS!!

-Atomicd
There's no L-cancel involved in any of those.

1. you have to input X+B+B REALLY FAST(use the control stick for quicker results)
2.Uh... take a look at any of fox's guides stickied at this fox's forum

YangKang

Smash Apprentice
Hi :D
Ive got some questions bout waveshining I could do it but then my timing just started to **** up.. do you need to shine and then wait a lil bit or just be as fast as ****? I dont need the frames because I have no idea how I can actually convert 1 frame in the game if you know what I mean..
Thx :p

4 Aces

Smash Ace
I've been having some trouble getting in shines, and I know that it's something that you figure out on your own, but now I feel like I'm actually getting worse at the shine. How high exactly should my enemy be before I shinespike them? I feel like my insane need to shine combo people has led me to irrrationally misuse the shine like shinespiking someone who is in the middle of the stage or shinespiking them when they are too high above the stage. And when I DO shine someone, I screw up the follow ups. Any tips would be grateful. *sigh*

Hey, how do you shine out of a shield with Fox and Falco? That might be useful to add to my game. Thanks in advance.

4 Aces

Smash Ace
Hi :D
Ive got some questions bout waveshining I could do it but then my timing just started to **** up.. do you need to shine and then wait a lil bit or just be as fast as ****? I dont need the frames because I have no idea how I can actually convert 1 frame in the game if you know what I mean..
Thx :p
The wavedashing portion is the part where you wait the longest. After you shine, and after you press x, you wait a bit, and then you do the other portion of the wavedash. I have the exact same problem. I would screw up on comboes in a lot of matches, because I mess up on the timing.

D

Deleted member

I've been having some trouble getting in shines, and I know that it's something that you figure out on your own, but now I feel like I'm actually getting worse at the shine. How high exactly should my enemy be before I shinespike them? I feel like my insane need to shine combo people has led me to irrrationally misuse the shine like shinespiking someone who is in the middle of the stage or shinespiking them when they are too high above the stage. And when I DO shine someone, I screw up the follow ups. Any tips would be grateful. *sigh*

Hey, how do you shine out of a shield with Fox and Falco? That might be useful to add to my game. Thanks in advance.
The easiest shine is someone below the level, you just drop down, shine, then come back up... the hardest shines are when they are above and away from the stage, in which case you might as well just wait for them to get closer... it also depends on what character you're attempting to do this on... obviously, you're going to shinespike Falco and Samus differently... it's a lot of edgehogging and practice... I try to shinespike often, but I'm not that great at it... also, learn to CC shine just on the edge... it helps against Fox/Falco or anyone who's trying to hit the edge perfectly...

You shine out of a shield by Jump Cancelling then shining... I usually hold down, jump with Y, then immediately press B... Hope all that helped...

Top Bottom