• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

brawlpro

Smash Master
Florissant, St. Louis, MO Tech Skill: Over 9000
Now you don't wanna pick FD, pick small stages like yoshi's story because you wanna knock falco off stage and put him in a position where he has to firebird up, shinespiking falco's while they are charging their up-b is easy since the flames don't hurt you, also in smaller stages he doesn't get to camp his lasers as much.

RedYoshi92

Smash Lord
your saying that I should pick small stages to put more pressure on him,right?

BTW I fought a good falco yesterday and 3 stocked him on stadium even though my fox was pretty rusty.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
wave dash dancing is supossed to be with wavedashes only. I believe Surf wavedashing is the term for what you've said(mixing dashes and wavedashes or doing them across the level)
I've never heard the term surf wavedashin, but pulsewalking is the term for dashing forward wavedashing back, and mobile pulsewalking is doing so in a fashion that moves you forward.

ah, thank you for the correction good sir.
why are you a director? i thought you've never been to a tournament.

Please answere me question =)

I didnt find any guide/faq on it at the other Fox guides so im asking here ^^
who is the "best/a good" team partner for Fox?
There really isn't a very strong metagame for doubles, so it doesn't really matter too much, but good choices include, but are not limited to, the following: Falco, marth, sheik*, peach*, Jiggs* (the ones w/ * are good teammates for any player). Stuff like double fox is ok on counterpicks like Green Greens.

I have a question

what are the best counter and neutral stages to fight falco on.He's my hardest matchup with fox.
FD *IS* a good choice since your comboing is now even w/ his. Yoshi's story is also good because it's so small it's easier to get him off the stage, and easier to avoid lasers. Battlefield is ok, since the platforms are great for fox against falco. Things like stadium and Dreamland 64 are bad choices becuase they're long stages that are great for lasering (although i actually like fighting falco on stadium because i'm really comfortable with it).
If you really don't want to fight a falco, counterpick Brinstar or Mute City, and force them to switch, (then you switch to your peach/ jiggs sheik - not sheik on MC). If they don't switch, then you don't have to either, or you can anyway and wreck them. I recently beat a sheik-sheik team (my teammate was falco and i was fox) on brinstar in the winners finals (game 5) at our last biweekly.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
I have a question

what are the best counter and neutral stages to fight falco on.He's my hardest matchup with fox.
Small stages to gimp him. Avoid FD unless you're pretty good at chain grabbing but still you'll get ***** by lasers + shine combos

SCOTU

Smash Hero
FD, so long as you can Uthrow>usmash, and usmash>uair, uair>uair, and uair>bair. He's got no platforms to recover to, so edgeguarding is easier. Actually, It's not too bad to 0-death using only the steps i've listed above. easier than CG 0-death's anyway.

You don't want a small stage (Cieling and wall wise) vs Falco...
As long as he survives on a stage like Yoshi's he has a chance to make it back, thus letting him use his recovery to it's full potential there. On larger stages, like FD, There are so many points where Falco is using his up but has no hope of making it back. On Yoshi's Fox can die in some cases and if he didn't he could've had a chance at recovering. This isn't the only reason of course. Larger stages give Fox more room to avoid anything Falco has to throw at him.
choose FD. IMO, Fox counters Flaco on FD. Just smash DI out of his dair when he tries to combo. CG, then at 30 or so, utilt, grab, if they DI away, uthrow again, then if they don't DI one of them utilt, and do a nair early so it hits them light, making it easier to grab. Then grab, uthrow, usmash. Yuo can easily jump aroudn and avoid falco's lasers and just punish him when the time is right. Also, no gay shine>waveland in platform>smash crap.
Falco

SCOTU

Smash Hero
what's the best spacing near an edge that a falco is on? stand back, get lhdl'ed, stand close, get daired. standing close, then wd back>fsmash doesn't work too hot, since the dair beats fox's fsmash... suggestions?

Giggidax

Smash Ace
what's the best spacing near an edge that a falco is on? stand back, get lhdl'ed, stand close, get daired. standing close, then wd back>fsmash doesn't work too hot, since the dair beats fox's fsmash... suggestions?
my suggestion would be as followed:

Stand close too the edge if u know he's going to LHDL. u can shield the first laser, then spotdodge>shine the second one. makes for an easy gimp if ur opponent doesnt DI or watever out of it. or u could just reflect the lasers back, if ur close to the edge. and then falco will get hit

but if hes doing a ledgehopped aerial, i would say to just jab at him. i dont know..

i

SCOTU

Smash Hero
the catch is, being close to the edge asks to be hit w/ a dair (during his invincibility), and standing at a range for normal ledgehop punishment gets you lasered. I'm just not sure on what spacing to use.

Reese

Smash Journeyman
Can some of you fellow smashers explain why Fox beats Jiggilypuff so badly ? I looked at Phanna's matchup chart and Fox is one Jpuff's hardest matchups.

I often play Fox vs. my friends Jpuff and I get beaten horribly. All of Jpuff's attacks go through mine. Uthrow to Uair doesn't work very well either. I usually get batted away by one of Jpuff's aerials when I try to Uair him. The general consensus I get from this forum about this matchup is too run away, shoot lasers, and spam usmash. The problem is my friend chases me down, and then I have no room to maneuver, and then I get knocked off and die. Anyone have tips or strategies versus Jiggilypuff ?

Thanks in advance.

brawlpro

Smash Master
Florissant, St. Louis, MO Tech Skill: Over 9000
Your friend chases you down?

Avoid getting grabbed because uthrow > rest works well against fox...

shinespike it at an unexpected time too.

Also shoot lasers? Try to shdl and not shl then...

well i'm a nub, so wait for a better answer, there was my advice...

SCOTU

Smash Hero
if you get cornered by a puff while lasering, full hop nair over them, or run below them. while they're close, shl for faster momentum options, when farther away, SHDL because it covers their WoP well. don't uthrow>uair reclessly. at under 27% (i think it's 27), jiggs can just not DI, then rest you out of it if not placed perfectly. if you do place it perfectly, she can dair/ nair you. over 27% up until 60%s? utrhow>uair works great.
Try using your bair to beat any of her moves. Beats all of them, trades w/ pound. Get good at approaching w/ your back facing them, and retreating facing them (while shooting lasers).

Miharu

Smash Hero
the catch is, being close to the edge asks to be hit w/ a dair (during his invincibility), and standing at a range for normal ledgehop punishment gets you lasered. I'm just not sure on what spacing to use.
Stand right oustide of dair range, and fulljump nair right as the Falco LHDLs. It'll hit them out of it, and since they've used up their 2nd jump already, they're virtually dead.

And yes, FD is good for Fox against Falco. Fox's CG on Falco is amplified, while's Falco's combo potential is diminished. Fox can also outcamp Falco much more easily here than on the other platformed stages.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Stand right oustide of dair range, and fulljump nair right as the Falco LHDLs. It'll hit them out of it, and since they've used up their 2nd jump already, they're virtually dead.
Good call. I've been trying stuff w/ bairs, but the momentum issue is kinda hard to do, so a nair might work well. Thanks.

Chained Up

Smash Cadet
How come the knockback of the U-air is sometimes different and not because of the character either, but the move itself?

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Bair works well and puff gets killed at very low % remember to use rshl to rack up some damage, being agressive with puff can be very risky but can work pretty well, try some hit and run things like drillshine/nair to shine a couple of times and she'll be shielding all the time then grab and up throw>uair. Spacing is very important(that's why well spaced bairs are so good they can't be shield grabbed) and don't try shield grabs if she's WoPing your shield because she'll be going away while you're grabbing the air

FoxFtw

Smash Apprentice
A friend of mine uses marth (i use fox) and i dont have much trouble with him, but when i have 60%dmg and up and he D-throws me i always land getting a F-smash-tipper which almost always kills me any help??

--------------------------------------
SPACE ANIMALS RULE ALL
YOU THINK IM LYING
LETS BRAWL!!
:chuckle:

Goldkirby

Smash Ace
If you miss the tech you can SDI the f-smash to cut its knockback
What is the proper way to SDI this move? Do you hold down on the c-stick for the sdi, then also hold towards the stage on the normal stick?

I suck at DIing the right way :/

EDIT: Oh random question: why do I always wall jump after teching if I am holding the control stick towards the stage when I firefox AND while I am teching?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
SDI is pressing the control stick the direction you want to SDI during a freezeframe. ASDI is holding the control stick or the C-Stick in a direction before the hitlag ends. SDIing something like a Marth tipper fsmash isn't going to save you very often, so you should really just concentrate on DIing upward and toward Marth.

If you're holding the control stick up or away from the stage when you walltech, you will perform a walljump as well.

Miharu

Smash Hero
A friend of mine uses marth (i use fox) and i dont have much trouble with him, but when i have 60%dmg and up and he D-throws me i always land getting a F-smash-tipper which almost always kills me any help??
At 60%, if you DI the dthrow away the tipper shouldn't be hitting you. In any case, DI the dthrow away, tech, and for DI, DI up and towards the stage.

Yomi

Smash Cadet
I'm having a little trouble with the U-throw U-air combo on certain characters. I'm trying to maximize the speed with which I transition from the throw to jumping up for the U-air. I've tried buffering the jump by holding R+CstickUp. I can't tell if this is faster (although it is consistent). I came up with this and I'm not sure if other people use this a lot. Does anyone know if this is equivalent to the fastest way?

Button Smash

Smash Rookie
I'm having a little trouble with the U-throw U-air combo on certain characters. I'm trying to maximize the speed with which I transition from the throw to jumping up for the U-air. I've tried buffering the jump by holding R+CstickUp. I can't tell if this is faster (although it is consistent). I came up with this and I'm not sure if other people use this a lot. Does anyone know if this is equivalent to the fastest way?

What does R+CstickUp do? Buffer?

I also have a little bit of trouble with the uair combo. C-sticking is a little slow for me. The second hit doesn't connect. So I use A but then I can't seem to follow them if they DI. Should I keep practicing with the C-stick?

Yomi

Smash Cadet
I'm not doing the Uair with the C-stick. I'm jumping with the C-stick. My question is if that's the fastest way to jump after a throw. I'm sure there is some one who knows what I'm talking about.

Yomi

Smash Cadet
Ok, but have you ever tried buffering the jump and jumping with the c-stick also? I'm hoping some one has tried multiple methods and knows from that experience which is faster or if they are equivalent.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I'm guessing that buffering is the fastest way to do it until you get the timing down with X or Y.

Buffering would always force a shield for a frame, right? So you'll always be a frame late by C-Stick buffering a jump.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
I'm guessing that buffering is the fastest way to do it until you get the timing down with X or Y.

Buffering would always force a shield for a frame, right? So you'll always be a frame late by C-Stick buffering a jump.
QFT, but I use up, not x or y.

Goldkirby

Smash Ace
SDI is pressing the control stick the direction you want to SDI during a freezeframe. ASDI is holding the control stick or the C-Stick in a direction before the hitlag ends. SDIing something like a Marth tipper fsmash isn't going to save you very often, so you should really just concentrate on DIing upward and toward Marth.

If you're holding the control stick up or away from the stage when you walltech, you will perform a walljump as well.
I think what I was thinking of was double stick DI in a video that I have seen where someone gets hit by hard hitting moves at high percentages, yet they DSDI so that they don't even get knocked off the stage. I have no idea how to do this.

Also, I know you wall jump holding up or away, but the holding towards the stage does not make sense to me. It seems like it should not happen, but often a wall jump is more convenient then a non-wall jumped tech. However, I think I need to start letting go of the stick earlier just in case I don't want to wall jump. I'm not really sure when you can let go of the stick in the start up animation of the firefox and still go the direction you were holding before. I guess I should probably just learn to move my left thumb faster and let go as soon as I see movement though.

@yomi - I need to start doing this also, but one of my friends gave me some advice, since I tend to miss a lot of my u-throw u-airs still. The advice is that I should follow their DI a little first, jump with the control stick and keep holding up and hit A to do the u-airs instead of using the c-stick, which is what I have a habit of doing right now. I'm gonna start trying it soon, since my friend can land almost all of his uthrow uairs, so his way is probably easier.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
I think what I was thinking of was double stick DI in a video that I have seen where someone gets hit by hard hitting moves at high percentages, yet they DSDI so that they don't even get knocked off the stage. I have no idea how to do this.
I remember scotu said that the c-stick has more priority that the control stick and that it will coount as a ASDI if you press both sticks. According to that DSDI or whatever doesn't exist

SCOTU

Smash Hero
The DSDI in magus' vid was done w/ normal DI from the control stick, and ASDI from the c stick. This form of DSDI is great for edgeteching as well, it lets you ASDI to the wall w/ C, while allowing you to maintain good normal DI w/ the control stick.

The other form of DSDI involves SDIing w/ the control stick, and ASDIing a different direction with the cstick. this is useful for something like fox's uair. you ASDI up (so if they place it badly it'll escape), while trying to SDI to the side. (this also blends w/ the first type, since you're likely to get good normal DI w/ this method).

Oskurito

Smash Lord
The DSDI in magus' vid was done w/ normal DI from the control stick, and ASDI from the c stick. This form of DSDI is great for edgeteching as well, it lets you ASDI to the wall w/ C, while allowing you to maintain good normal DI w/ the control stick.

The other form of DSDI involves SDIing w/ the control stick, and ASDIing a different direction with the cstick. this is useful for something like fox's uair. you ASDI up (so if they place it badly it'll escape), while trying to SDI to the side. (this also blends w/ the first type, since you're likely to get good normal DI w/ this method).
=S in that case one of those DIs comes first (the SDI or the ASDI) so DSDI is just a technique not a kind of DI to aply because you just do both one after the other not at the same time

Top Bottom