• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

For the love of God, PLEASE use Snake

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTKPch

Smash Journeyman
I actually decided I was playing Snake before all of this top tier madness. Same with MK.

I also play Diddy, Luigi, and Samus, but it's just coincidence that 2 of the 5 are insanely awesome.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
How about we use the term collective common sense then. Also, let's assume we're playing against people that know what they're doing. Put an equally skilled Wario against an equally skilled Sonic and the Wario will still have a much larger advantage. It's just that simple.
Right, but is that because Wario is better than Sonic, or is it because Wario happens to have factors that make him win specifically in the Wario-Sonic matchup?

And how often will anyone have to face a Sonic in tournament? If Wario has poor matchups (which he might or might not... I didn't really look) against really popular characters, he'll do poorly when it comes to the relevant matchups. I would expect those to affect his tier placement more than his ability to **** Sonic would.

BEES

Smash Lord
The Snake debacle is eerily similar to Shiek's dominance early on in Melee.

Give it some time. There are characters that should theoretically have better matchups than Snake. He might not even be at the top in a year or two. His strategy-based gameplay just happens to be easy to abuse against people that aren't careful.

Amide

Smash Lord
THANK YOU. I found out that Luigi's playstyle fits me perfectly, and I might switch mains from MK. It's so much more satisfying to win that way.

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
Scrubs with snake lean back heavily on his tried and true methods of winning and basically telegraph themselves right into being countered anyway.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Shockingly, I haven't actually lost to a Snake in a tourney match for over two months now. The only two I played didn't really know what they were doing vs. ZSS (i.e. boostsmashing into my neutralB and getting grabbed as a result).

But then, we don't have that many Snakes in NJ anymore. Most have been switching to other characters.

D

Deleted member

I mostly main G&W but I love playing as Ganondorf. It's been a very hard road to main such a hard to use character but after countless losses you eventually get good and it is so satisfying to see that look on Snake/MK player 's face when you beat him as Ganondorf. Best feeling in the world!

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
so satisfying to see that look on Snake/MK player 's face when you beat him as Ganondorf. Best feeling in the world!
That player sucks. End of story. >.>

And lol, I knew Snake was amazing and had some ****ed up things going for him like f tilt and u tilt hax but I never thought he was so ****ing amazing that you had to use him to win in tourneys til I started going back to the Smashboards.

The thing is, top players pick a main, and then learn every uber guy to get an edge, in case their general main isn't good enough for whatever reason. (And usually that main is good anyways, like Falco or Marth, just not uber.)

Eh, I main Sheik and Lucario, and ****, Sheik is so unused from what I see it's sad.

And one more thing

Scrubs with snake
Scrubs define things as cheap and broken, and refuse to use those things. Snake is according to the whineboards as cheap and broken. Thus, those aren't scrubs, those are moronic ****tards. ^_^

billyandrocky

Smash Rookie
I actually prefer lower tier characters. I'm terrible with Snake and just rely on spamming when I'm Meta Knight. Yoshi and Link FTW!

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
I beat a Snake with Ganon to finish a set yesterday.

He said "Hmm... pirate ship." Then I immediately switched to Ganon. He was like "Huh?" Then I sea-spiked him for all 3 KO's.

As for fighting Snake on the ground... my only thought was "I can equal his damage if I can stay near him." Which I did.

E.M.

Smash Apprentice
One of my cousins came over today. We played brawl and this was his second time playing.

He beat me 4 freakin' times with snake and I was alternating between bowser and ganon. It wasn't until I told myself I am fighting a HUMAN player, not a CPU, then I started to whip ***. All that practice against level 5's was a waste of time. There is no substitute for a human player.

It's funny because when he chose other characters like marth, bowser, and ganon, he couldn't do anything against me. Of course, then he picks ike, who then spams his A combo like he does with snake.

tangdynasty

Smash Rookie
I wholeheartedly agree that people shouldn't pick top tier characters simply because of the fact that they're "the best". However, I can't deny that, given two characters that I equally like, I'd be more tempted to choose the higher-tier one - all else equal, it'd be better to win than to lose.

Gindler

Smash Champion
One of my cousins came over today. We played brawl and this was his second time playing.

He beat me 4 freakin' times with snake and I was alternating between bowser and ganon. It wasn't until I told myself I am fighting a HUMAN player, not a CPU, then I started to whip ***. All that practice against level 5's was a waste of time. There is no substitute for a human player.

It's funny because when he chose other characters like marth, bowser, and ganon, he couldn't do anything against me. Of course, then he picks ike, who then spams his A combo like he does with snake.
Level 5's? Lowest I go is 9, I thought that was the same with everyone. But yeah no substitute for a human player. Yeah that kid sounds like a real noob to snake but most people spam Ftilt as well.

Overall I can see why so many people have switched to snake. Before Fox was high tier sooooo many people used shiek until everyone figured out that fox was the "best". It's pretty reasonable and will always happen with every game there is. I mean why bother trying harder when you can use the best there is? (that's how most people see it, I never figured out why)

Catonis

Smash Rookie
Honsetly!!! Do you know how many tournaments I've seen where people just use Snake and Marth?! I once saw 3 not 1 but 3!!!!! Matches that were nothing but snake vs. snake!!! I'm not saying I hate the top tier characters but c'mon! I prefer Luigi and Sonic!!! Why? Because they're fun to play with!!! Got a problem with that!!!??? You know what? Tiers are for Queers!!!! That's right all you tourney tards!!!! Jeez.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Honsetly!!! Do you know how many tournaments I've seen where people just use Snake and Marth?! I once saw 3 not 1 but 3!!!!! Matches that were nothing but snake vs. snake!!! I'm not saying I hate the top tier characters but c'mon! I prefer Luigi and Sonic!!! Why? Because they're fun to play with!!! Got a problem with that!!!??? You know what? Tiers are for Queers!!!! That's right all you tourney tards!!!! Jeez.
<.<;

If you're so sick of it, then get better and show them that Snake isn't the best way to go if they just want a shortcut to winning. If you're losing, then deal with it, learn to beat Snake, and THEN show them that spamming Snake isn't the shortcut to winning.

GnW is. *shot*

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
This is a good thread. And it speaks the truth. And its the main reason people pick people like Snake and Meta. These characters don't just give you the wins that easy. You have to put work In that. And not use the same old tatics.

I have people get pissed cause they are like "How am I meta and Snake and lose to such a low tier as Peach!?! That's bull****!" Then they make up some john to feel good about themselves for losing. And I tell them, Its all about skills, not the character. They think Spamming tilts with Snake and Up-B/tornado with Meta is all that it takes to win.

People see Peach as a really bad character so it gets them pissed when They lose while using Snake and Meta. And its funny and sad at the same time as in how people mindsets are with this game. Nothing is wring with Playing a top tier and going for the win. But thinking its that easy is plan stupid.

MajinSweet

Smash Journeyman
Its true though, Snake is easy mode. If you lose as Snake it just means you suck. Unless you lost to a Snake!

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
Majin, that's stupid. you're saying that if you lose as a top tier character, you suck. Snake may be tops, but that's not o say he's an easy win. Unlike Meta, Snake is top because of his potential, not cheapness (in my opinion). @darkpeach: I agree losing with a top is no john. But I don't think it means you suck, like Majin was saying. In my opinion, the tier gap in brawl isn't as big as in melee. Top tier may have the most potential, but they're still just characters.

Amarkov

Smash Apprentice
The people who really need to hear this probably think that they are skilled with Snake. Spamming the mortar slide forever is the best strategy, right?

It doesn't help that people are constantly shouting "OMG SNAKE AND META KNIGHT ALWAYS WIN AND REQUIRE NO SKILL BUT SPAMMING [insert attack that killed you here]!"

Griffard

Smash Ace
I certainly agree. I tried to play as top tier chars in melee, but I didn't adapt particularly well to any of the styles, so I just owned people as lower tier chars like ness, jiggs, ics, and pichu. Very worthwhile post, I'd love to see a much more diverse metagame out there, people shouldn't complain about low # of chars if they only use 5!

TomTom

Smash Cadet
I play as Meta Knight because I find him most fun to play with and master. I don't see why I should therefore instantly be labelled as a cheap spammer, or even someone with no skill. I believe wholly in developing great tactics rather than spamming kill moves endlessly.

Griffard

Smash Ace
I play as Meta Knight because I find him most fun to play with and master. I don't see why I should therefore instantly be labelled as a cheap spammer, or even someone with no skill. I believe wholly in developing great tactics rather than spamming kill moves endlessly.
This is not directed at you then. The topic post was directed at people who begin to play as "top tier" characters because they think they can win effortlessly. No one has anything against those who play good characters because they like them or their style the most.

AnAardvark

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, if you ACTUALLY main Snake, Meta Knight, or another top-tier character and know a few REAL techniques, and are tired of being called cheap just for using a top-tier character, you can blame the people who use top-tier characters thinking if they spam an attack to rack up damage, they'll win. :ohwell:

KingK

Smash Apprentice
I think you should add that players shouldn't NOT play a Top Tier character just because the character is Top Tier.

Basically, the perception of other people or the position of a character in the Tier list shouldn't affect your choice of main.

juki

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I guess I should stop playing god tire and branch out more... Bye bye Pika and Ic's :(

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings
Unfortunately, that's just how it's gonna be.

I'm not complaining, it's an easy win...

Still, it's funny playing Snakes that isn't Cort's - they all suck. @_@

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
and Metaknight, and ROB, and Wario, and Dedede.

This goes out to everyone who chooses a top-tier character and expects an insta-win. It does not work that way. You actually have to play well with Snake to win as Snake.

I say this for two reasons: 1) You really are doing yourself a disservice by sticking to the top of the tier list if that's not where you belong. Branch out, try new characters and tactics besides constantly up-bing with Metaknight. You might surprise yourself and find that you do better with a mid-tier, or even (gasp!) a low tier character. Cort may win as Snake, but that's Cort. That's NOT YOU. Azen can win tournaments as Lucario, but you cannot. Try finding what works for you as opposed to copying what works for them.

2)I really am sick and tired of playing crappy top-tiers. My outlook has always been to play with the character you're best with. If that's a top-tier, then so be it: go kick ***. But there are too many people who see top-tiers doing well and expect to do the same by virtue of the character's strength. NO. It will not work, and you will be wasting your money and everyone's time when you go to a tournament and get two-stocked by a really good Pikachu.

tl; dr: Basically, Good player > Good character. It always has, and it always will.
Ha ha!! Rofl! Ok ok, I agree with you somewhat. ^^

I suppose you're trying to get the casual player to step outside his/her comfort zone by finding there main other than top tiers. Very admirable.

Still, it's kind of futile seeing how not everyone uses Smash Boards. So I guess this is a vent thread?

One more thing: I'm sorry but Meta Knight is just toooooo much of a cool kickass badass character not to main! ^^ Don't bite my head off, for I main Link. XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom