• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FlatSoda paints GCN controllers, and so does Gingerr.

FlatSoda

Smash Champion

Dyed with a burgundy color, and the shoulder buttons are too. ;)

This isn't spray paint if you're wondering. It's vinyl dye, it forms a chemical bond with the plastic/vinyl and actually dyes the plastic! It can indeed get scratched off if it's not dry fully. There's a few chips on the shoulder buttons 'cause i was too anxious to put them back in and assemble my controller. but not visible 100%. Sorry for the bad photos, again I was anxious so I just took them with my cell phone because I couldn't find my USB cord for my camera. Comments!

Also, another reason why I'm posting this is in case if anyone wants their controller dyed a certain color, or the buttons. Willing to do it for fellow smashers that want a certain color scheme for their controller! (beats marking on it with a marker) :D

Edit: Here are my other works, this isn't my first job.

if you're interested, contact me or gingerr. ITS ALL ABOUT REPPIN WUT U REP SON.
GET THAT HOT PINK CONTROLLAH. IT WONT GET STOLEN, ;D

Master Raven

Smash Master
Haha that's a real nice color. I'd actually like to consider giving my controller a paint job. I'll think about the color first.

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
color mine pink!

LOL, I'm not sure if pink comes in any sort of Vinyl dye, if I search for it, it'll probably cost 6.49 for the can, which I'll probably not charge you for. These cans can last for about 4-5 game boys/controllers. And I mod all my game boys. soooo yeah.

in the meanwhile these are the colors I can get:

Glossy Black
Flat Black
Charcoal Grey
Medium Grey
Burgundy
Tuner Red
Tuner Blue
Tuner Yellow
Steel Blue
Desert Sand
White!!! (I want to do my second one white).
Beige
Silver.

Though there is a platinum, and Black. I suggest against the silver/black. But Split shells are sexy. ;)

The buttons can be colored any color, each seperate or different from the shell of course.

The buttons that can be painted are the A, B, X, Y, START, L, R, Z and D-PAD. C-stick and Analog can't be painted as they are a part of the PCB.

Master Raven

Smash Master
Fsoda if you can find a site or something with pics of those colors then that'd be really great, 'cause I'd like to see what they look like.

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
Duplicolor's site doesn't show colors. -_-
and it's hard to match exactly, so I don't want to go and show people a false color that it won't be. I currently have access to burgundy (which is the gcn controller) steel blue and desert sand (the first game boy), red is like stop sign red, blue is like crayola blue. yellow is like crayola yellow. as for the greys and beige, there's so many shades of those colors, so I'm not going to even bother until I purchase the paint if I need it. :<

Marin.

Smash Journeyman
it looks sooo good!
great color and everything

ive dying to paint mine for like ever
but i cant decide on a color

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
Mine's better imo:

http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/2963/606e3a8d8c0auw9.jpg

And look at that cord! Holy fvck

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/2354/1b6af38b0726bx8.jpg

Didn't have to paint it or anything. :D
aww man I'm jealous! I really want a white controller! There's no way that was painted. The Nintendo Gamecube is still on the top, and LET ME KNOW WHERE YOU GOT IT FROM! :D

pretty please? :3

EDIT: found it. play-asia.com

sexy! too bad they're out of stock. :(

Ruuku

Smash Lord
That's some really nice work here. Also, I'm gonna take a guess and say that Kamano's controller is a Japanese import.

Gingerr

Smash Lord
Remind me of my controller. I did mine with resin model paint. Turned out really well, although it's due for another paint job.

I also did my team mate Alex Blair's controller right after mine. He plays Diddy Kong so he wanted me to paint it banana yellow :]

I paint them all by hand. Takes about 7-12 coats, depending on the color and how well the paint takes to the plastic. On average I seem to get them done in about 4 days. I enjoy painting them haha.

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
aww man, those are some sick *** controllers. vinyl dye dries up in under 30 minutes! =D

but it's limited to it's colors. :(
Gotta do a yellow one decked out with white buttons. That's my next controller.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
lol nice work, friends brother tried to spray paint a razor from pink to black... didnt work out so well, he forgot to take out the battery or tape it up.. didnt work out so well, very nice.. like the red. if only they had a light-neon green with black that would b the ****!

Gingerr

Smash Lord
I like the idea of dying it since that sounds like a lot less work, but I prefer the shiny finish like mine has. I'd at least have to do a gloss coat over the finished product.

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
well you can yes. and vinyl dye does dye vinyl/fabrics. meant for cars and sh;t. like painting the chairs/dash/whatever interface. Though I'm going to test out some Krylon Fusion. Not a fan of krylon, they're too watery. Gotta get some more paint. It's in an aerosol can, the vinyl dye that is.

I'm going to look into some gloss for it though. The flat color looks nice at first, and has a weird texture until it sits in. Quick, but may not be idea for some people. Definitely going to test other types of paints, and sh;t.

besides painting, prosounding a game boy and putting a backlight on an old game boy is really hard. -_-

CATFISH

Smash Rookie
I wonder why that fabulous image I was thinking of wasn't in here . . . I swear it was asking for it . . .

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
you can paint it yourself, or ask me to do it. lol.

i wouldn't mind doing it for free until it becomes popular. only less than 5 people asked me to do this.
then again you're not in my local area so if you'd like me to do it, you'd have to pay shipping!

that is of course if you'd want me to do it.

AfroQT

Smash Master
Danggggggggggg i'd want my controller painted all cool :(

I want a green/black one cuz i gotta represent the swamp when i play.

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
I'm gonna try some krylon fusion on some plastic stuff later. i hate krylon though, it's too watery. i used to write so i'd know. rusto'z > krylons!

I should have a lot of colors in, if krylon works out great.
but it'd be a tad expensive. :/
list price is 11 bucks.
until then would i have to start charging peeps.

anyway, i think i'm going to set something special for a few people.

colors for krylon.

(theres also a different white/black)
i'll update the OP in a few days if this gets serious.
and afro, if you want green and black I can do a split case!

Master Raven

Smash Master
I'm thinking of a cool purple/yellow pattern, or purple/orange. I hope those colors are available!

lamugi

Smash Lord
you can paint it yourself, or ask me to do it. lol.

i wouldn't mind doing it for free until it becomes popular. only less than 5 people asked me to do this.
then again you're not in my local area so if you'd like me to do it, you'd have to pay shipping!

that is of course if you'd want me to do it.
yea id def be down for that msg me!!!!!!!!!!

StripesOrBars

Smash Master
They had a green, red, and (not too sure bout this one) yellow GC controller if you lived in Japan and bought enough of Nintendo's Mediocre crap(3rd party BS mostly).

Why doesn't America get club Nintendo?

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
I would try it out in the emporium, but i'd need to definitely charge, and hold a site before my threads get banned for advertising. this is why i'm just throwing it out in atlantic south for some fellow players for free, just because i can do a local drop off, or they can pick up easily.

I'd llike to be known for doing such before i begin advertising. to me it seems bad for the smash community to do so and not be a part of it besides for making money. which is what i do not want.

I've got an idea brewing.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
*pops head in*
you'll never find those club nintendo controllers in stock again, anywhere. (The mario/luigi/wario/blue-white controller)

The only places you will ever find them is on ebay, and you'll have to be willing to pay like, 75+ if you're lucky enough to find them in the states, or like 120+ from japan.

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
Green how? how does this look?

the top shell is green, the buttons are all black except the C-Stick and Analog stick. the bottom shell is black and the L and R buttons are green.

I still have to test out krylons, and it's gonna be a bit expensive. I only have burgundy/steel blue/ desert sand in reach. those cost me 6.49 a can and krylons are listed at 11. i have to check in wholesale sales for cheaper. I'll have to heavily think of a price if i'm going to have to charge. of course I won't jip anyone.

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
*pops head in*
you'll never find those club nintendo controllers in stock again, anywhere. (The mario/luigi/wario/blue-white controller)

The only places you will ever find them is on ebay, and you'll have to be willing to pay like, 75+ if you're lucky enough to find them in the states, or like 120+ from japan.
it's hard to find imports from nintendo.
they're whack. they stopped the controllers from production, that's why you only see the silver ones left. when they're gone. they're gone. I don't collect game boys, but i use them for making music. Just turns out that the older the model makes the best sound. Nintendo doesn't even offer game cube controllers anymore. What's with that? nintendo just stops production out of the greatest crap. also, ebayers gouge prices. 35 bucks for a play it loud! edition game boy (big fat grey one, but in green) is a decent price. but 35 for a grey boy? i get mine from pnt for 10 bucks!

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
You can use Mario Paint to make music too.

But the old gameboys do sound cool as hell.
i tried it out, i don't know if it's overclocked or anything but it's limited in instruments. where LSDJ for the game boy is like an analog synthesizer with no limits to an instrument. you create your own.

http://www.myspace.com/wavdash

i used lsdj via emulator
and mixed with fruity loops 8.

only if you're interested.

now back to the topic at hand. I'm going to eventually open a service, servicing those in the atlantic south first. I have to spend money to get money, everyone knows that. So i'm going to buy some paints, if it becomes popular i'll open it nationwide perhaps, i don't know. All i know is, i plan on doing a controller for afro and galeon so far.

AfroQT

Smash Master
Green how? how does this look?

the top shell is green, the buttons are all black except the C-Stick and Analog stick. the bottom shell is black and the L and R buttons are green.

I still have to test out krylons, and it's gonna be a bit expensive. I only have burgundy/steel blue/ desert sand in reach. those cost me 6.49 a can and krylons are listed at 11. i have to check in wholesale sales for cheaper. I'll have to heavily think of a price if i'm going to have to charge. of course I won't jip anyone.

Iunno dark green like snakes Swamp camo.
I'll hit you up on AIM in a few secs

Top Bottom