• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FlatSoda paints GCN controllers, and so does Gingerr.

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
sure why not, butt i want your clear game boy. i'd trade ANYTHING for that, i got a clear pocket?!?!!?

anyway, yeah sure. it's been done before with vinyl dye. it should have a better outcome than a gamecube controller. the hard plastic imo is definitely better.

JUST IM BROKE AND I NEED TO GET PAINT. D:

Saltix

Smash Lord
ah, i see. :(

well, that's near impossible to replace unless you get a new controller.
I don't happen to have any scrap controllers, :/

I had a brand new controller with a defective cable, though i opened up that b;tch and rewired everything and works brand new. gave it away though, it was too ugly. lol.

hmm, painting would probably not be good for a controller like that. you could order some online for about 25 bucks, screw ebay though. in store controllers are only available platinum 24.99. orrrr oyu can order some from an import site. but eh.

:|

about sending it because I live in florida, I have to open up a paypal, i didn't expect it to be this requesting. should be soon, i just need more bread, and MM's should pave the way for that.

Yeah, I'm going to buy the white one from Play Asia. My friend has some controllers he's willing to sell me, and then we'll see from there.

Is your blue similar to electric blue?

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
If I get a ride, I could actually do it in a parking lot right then and there. it dries in an hour, and is scratch/chip resistant after a week. I don't mind doing all that stuff. I really like tinkering with gadgets. NO DIRTY THOUGHTs.

but yeah, i'll see. errrr. as for that blue.
it's a flat, navy/uniform looking blue.
as for electirc blue? not a problem, i can get it.

jsut bare with myself being broke, once i make the first controllers money, that open more money for more paint!

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
hulk green wouldn't be a problem, i'm only chargin 10, due to the fact that you'd probably only get one controller painted. so i wouldn't want to rip you off. ;)

though sometimes colros are hard to get.

i'm keeping this all in my head. i just need these colors now

green, blue, yellow, purple x 2, some more black, white.

gonna cost me around 40 bux, and i'm currently broke. expecting 10 from this MM, anddddddd that's two cans. gonna do master ravens/sg's controller since i can just do an easy pick up in miami lakes for a quick controller/ cash fgor more paint.

it's gonna be rough at first. bare with me.

Saltix

Smash Lord
What tool do you use to open the GC controllers?
I'd like to give a shot at this myself. Or maybe even go for a mod on my broken controller :p

Also, you said the broken control stick couldn't be fixed. Couldn't I just swap it out? I've never taken apart a GC controller before, so correct me if I'm wrong.

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
To go about doing yourself would need prior knowledge in spray painting.

it's really easy, just may be tedious to some.
paint my not be in production in certain areas (it was a betch to find some vibrant colors, but finally the home depot started taking in plastic paints.)

to open it, you need a tri-wing screwdriver. order one here for 3.99:
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-1e-49-en-15-tri-70-1fe.html

you can use a small flathead, but it's annoying to wedge it into one of the wings and actually screw it off.
when you open it, you risk frying the controller by touching the PCB (that green board you always see in electronics) by a static shock. so, believe me. DO NOT WEAR SOCKS.

once opened, the control stick is attached to the PCB so you'd have to swap out another controller practically. which defeats the purpose. so, you can't just swap a stick. :(

after opened, to paint the controller you need one or more cans of paint.
they can range in prices.
i found a store that sells krylon plastics for cheap! but let me give my review.

Krylon Plastic paint- Ranging from 4.49 - 10.99 -
this paint keeps the gloss the controller already has. regardless if you buy a flat paint to give it a stealthy/sandy/smooth look. it's slightly sticky, but over the days of a plastic being painted, the stickyness subsides and no longer feels noticeable. it takes about 3- 7 coats to fully paint a piece of plastic. 15 minutes between each coat. takes an hour to be touched, and a whole week to chip/scratch resistant. i haven't really tested the whole scratching and chip thing though.

pros: can be cheap, keeps gloss if wanted, chip/scratch resistant.
cons: takes a long time painting, keeps gloss if NOT wanted, slight stickyness.

Dupli-Color Vinyl and Fabric Dye- 6.49~ish.
this is a really really nice dye/paint. i've never ever had a problem with it. it's a tad bit expensive for one can, but worth it if you're going for a FLAT single color plastic. this is very similar to the krylon, takes about 15 minutes to dry, but only needs a good 3-5 coats to be painted. takes a week to be chip/scratch resistant as well. but rids of the gloss the controller already has. even if you get a glossy vinyl dye. it does cake on if you're applying more than one sort of paint, so that's a bit iffy. it has a nice smooth feel to it.

pros: very quick painting, flat colors, smooth feel, NO stickyness, chip/scratch free
cons: long time to fully dry, a bit expensive, flat if you desire glossy, and VERY LIMITED COLORS. I'd like to add if your palms, hands get sweaty this is NOT idea for you.

Rustoleum Plastic paint - 4.49-5.99
I've only tested this on plastic handles so go by this on your own. it's very sticky, ridiculously sticky.
though, it's not as watery as krylon, a peice of plastic can be painted in as little as 2 coats. it doesn't really cake on. colors are as vast as the krylon assortment. keeps gloss, and keeps flatness.

pros: good quality, vast colors, quick easy drying.
cons: i've not tested it to the max, sticky. but remember i haven't really tested this.

there are more paints that are industrial quality, but remember a controller isn't like titanium steel.
though, it probably surpasses the quality of the paints i lsited above.

i still recomend my services because i'll only charge a flat 10 bucks no matter what amount of colors ;)
and i'm pretty experienced in painting.

woo, that was a lot to type.
NOW COMES THE WEATHER CONDITIONS.

it has to be dry, cool and not humid to do this. if not, the paint will become mosturized and have a weird light colored film on the paint. looks really bad. other than that, you're all good to go.
paint on a porous surface. (paper towels, cardboard.) quick easy strokes from 6-8 inches away from the plastic. ALL IN ONE MOTION, no zig zags, or swirls. LEFT TO RIGHT OR UP TO DOWN.

offfffashdbanisjdasdasdas

mkay what else?

uh, yeah thats pretty much it. OH AND PAINT THE INSIDES. you may think it's ridiculous, but you could see the insides slightly fromn thge joystick.

ehhh, im done. lol.

FFFFFFFFFFFF>

Gingerr

Smash Lord
I didn't use a tri-wing, I just took the time and effort to wedge a very tiny flat head in there to unscrew the screws. It was really annoying, but it's workable.

Saltix

Smash Lord
To go about doing yourself would need prior knowledge in spray painting.

it's really easy, just may be tedious to some.
paint my not be in production in certain areas (it was a betch to find some vibrant colors, but finally the home depot started taking in plastic paints.)

to open it, you need a tri-wing screwdriver. order one here for 3.99:
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-1e-49-en-15-tri-70-1fe.html

you can use a small flathead, but it's annoying to wedge it into one of the wings and actually screw it off.
when you open it, you risk frying the controller by touching the PCB (that green board you always see in electronics) by a static shock. so, believe me. DO NOT WEAR SOCKS.

once opened, the control stick is attached to the PCB so you'd have to swap out another controller practically. which defeats the purpose. so, you can't just swap a stick. :(

after opened, to paint the controller you need one or more cans of paint.
they can range in prices.
i found a store that sells krylon plastics for cheap! but let me give my review.

Krylon Plastic paint- Ranging from 4.49 - 10.99 -
this paint keeps the gloss the controller already has. regardless if you buy a flat paint to give it a stealthy/sandy/smooth look. it's slightly sticky, but over the days of a plastic being painted, the stickyness subsides and no longer feels noticeable. it takes about 3- 7 coats to fully paint a piece of plastic. 15 minutes between each coat. takes an hour to be touched, and a whole week to chip/scratch resistant. i haven't really tested the whole scratching and chip thing though.

pros: can be cheap, keeps gloss if wanted, chip/scratch resistant.
cons: takes a long time painting, keeps gloss if NOT wanted, slight stickyness.

Dupli-Color Vinyl and Fabric Dye- 6.49~ish.
this is a really really nice dye/paint. i've never ever had a problem with it. it's a tad bit expensive for one can, but worth it if you're going for a FLAT single color plastic. this is very similar to the krylon, takes about 15 minutes to dry, but only needs a good 3-5 coats to be painted. takes a week to be chip/scratch resistant as well. but rids of the gloss the controller already has. even if you get a glossy vinyl dye. it does cake on if you're applying more than one sort of paint, so that's a bit iffy. it has a nice smooth feel to it.

pros: very quick painting, flat colors, smooth feel, NO stickyness, chip/scratch free
cons: long time to fully dry, a bit expensive, flat if you desire glossy, and VERY LIMITED COLORS. I'd like to add if your palms, hands get sweaty this is NOT idea for you.

Rustoleum Plastic paint - 4.49-5.99
I've only tested this on plastic handles so go by this on your own. it's very sticky, ridiculously sticky.
though, it's not as watery as krylon, a peice of plastic can be painted in as little as 2 coats. it doesn't really cake on. colors are as vast as the krylon assortment. keeps gloss, and keeps flatness.

pros: good quality, vast colors, quick easy drying.
cons: i've not tested it to the max, sticky. but remember i haven't really tested this.

there are more paints that are industrial quality, but remember a controller isn't like titanium steel.
though, it probably surpasses the quality of the paints i lsited above.

i still recomend my services because i'll only charge a flat 10 bucks no matter what amount of colors ;)
and i'm pretty experienced in painting.

woo, that was a lot to type.
NOW COMES THE WEATHER CONDITIONS.

it has to be dry, cool and not humid to do this. if not, the paint will become mosturized and have a weird light colored film on the paint. looks really bad. other than that, you're all good to go.
paint on a porous surface. (paper towels, cardboard.) quick easy strokes from 6-8 inches away from the plastic. ALL IN ONE MOTION, no zig zags, or swirls. LEFT TO RIGHT OR UP TO DOWN.

offfffashdbanisjdasdasdas

mkay what else?

uh, yeah thats pretty much it. OH AND PAINT THE INSIDES. you may think it's ridiculous, but you could see the insides slightly fromn thge joystick.

ehhh, im done. lol.

FFFFFFFFFFFF>
In that case, I'll probably fool around with the broken controller first and test out that STICKY paint. I need the one im using for an upcoming tournament, but right after, we'll see.

My friend and I are still negotiating prices on the controllers he wants to sell me anyways.

Thanks for the help :D

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
flatsoda, could you make me a controller the same outside color scheme as cueball thundahs (the dark green top and black bottom), but have all of my buttons a beige color? How much would that cost?

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
i have the dark green, no more black paint. (i still need to get for thundahs controller buttons -_-)
beige, i have that desert sand that could suffice. check the blue/beige-ish game boy on first post.
and i'll find that hulk green and let you know.

jussssssssssst i need to go to tourneys to probably pick up controllers and the munnies.
then we need to gather up again, and i can give back~ WOO.

PolMex23

Smash Champion
Come up to GDXS and HRNUTS tourney in sarasota...

All of SFL will be there, i bet you can get a ride

Remember i got 20 for yah xD Hulk green baby Hulk Green

Leh

Smash Ace
I'd try to get you a ride, but if Hunter goes our car is already full.
Try AIMing people from FIU (manly seibrik), he has a car you could try to convince him to go.

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
I'll ask, and I have your controller completed besides the black buttons. I'm trying to squeeze MM's in to win some bread for the black paint. if not lemme know if it's okay without em.

Leh

Smash Ace
Haha yeah man its fine without em, the controller already looks amazing :)

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
spray paint eats plastic :)
vinyl dye, plastic paints are the way to go.
white should be easy to get, aquamarine? no clue.

ives dairy eh?

relatively close, 10 buxxx+the controller = one week later controller done. (takes a week to be fully chip/scratch free.)

but it's REALLY hard to NOT get the shoulder buttons scratched because they rub against the back shell.
I'm thinking of not painting shoulder buttons, without the payer to KNOW that they will scratch off over time. regardless of being scratch free.

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
makes sense, if you've died hair yes.

but that controller of mine in OP? was originally black. :>
and the controller i painted for afro was black too. but i used krylon plastic paint for that.
ALSO! if i may add... RIT dye, yes RIT. the clothing dye, dyes plastic.
problem here is that it's being discontinued, no more RIT dye. :/
get em while you can, it dyes plastic too.

Saltix

Smash Lord
You said you'll do stencils too?
I'd LOVE to get my name written on the right handle of the controller :p

spider_sense

Smash Champion
spray paint eats plastic :)
vinyl dye, plastic paints are the way to go.
white should be easy to get, aquamarine? no clue.

ives dairy eh?

relatively close, 10 buxxx+the controller = one week later controller done. (takes a week to be fully chip/scratch free.)

but it's REALLY hard to NOT get the shoulder buttons scratched because they rub against the back shell.
I'm thinking of not painting shoulder buttons, without the payer to KNOW that they will scratch off over time. regardless of being scratch free.
Sweet. $10 I can definitely do. :) What tournament will you be going to next? I'll hit you up there.

Frames

DI
Could you paint a controller using that prototype color changing paint that Nissan is developing? That would look so sick during tournaments.

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
Could you paint a controller using that prototype color changing paint that Nissan is developing? That would look so sick during tournaments.
there's other types of paints out there. like the chameleon paint used for cars.

i'd love to. but i'd have to definitely try it out on abroken controller or something of the sort before actually doing it.

and, it seems that the nissan paint is use for conductive metal, not plastic.
Dupli-color does indeed have some paint, but actually getting it is the hard part. I don't know one place but online.

freddybones

Smash Journeyman
Good news and bad.
Good news is I did mine on my own and considering this was my first try, it's pretty good.
The bad news is that this is my first try so not really as good as I wanted it to be.

Humidity is a *****. Makes the paint all textured and lame. I tried to polish it off a bit before doing the final coat but it was too late. I had to get my last coat in today so it's be ready by the tourney. Knowing that I'm going to have to repaint it some time after the tourney anyway, I decided to just put it backc together now. It's still not scratch resistant, as seen by the already large scratch I accidentally put on it, but I'm going to redo it so I don't care.

Over all, it was pretty **** easy to do. Beleive it or not the hardest part was reassembling the controler again, and that was a breeze. Tested it out today and it still works fine so I did it correctly and didn't damage anything. I only painted the bottom part of the controler and the 'A' button. I was tempted to do the d-pad but it'd look lame. I'll post pics later.

Still totally easy to do, everyone should be out there pimping out their controlers.

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
i can, ez pz. i ahve the paints and all, and if your controller is black already, no need for black paint.

easy job, and if i pull enough money i'll go to brawl wars,

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
bump.

i have an offer for someone, but it can risk an ugly controller.

so, i have a new dye...it's been known to dye everything from wood, clothes plastic. and i'm not scared to tell you what it is incase i'm "blowing my cover.." it's Rit Dye. and they're no longer producing the dye. I managed to get my hands on some denim blue controller. Does anyone have a platinum controller I can test this on? :/

I won't charge you or seek out any money, i just want to test the dye out on this because i obviously cant go from black to blue for apparent reasons without vynil dye.

now, who has one? it may end up nasteh, but big kudos to whoever takes one for the team, and if it looks good, it looks good.

Top Bottom