• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FL Social Thread:You Mad, You Lose.

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
And my advice to you "not playing ddd" wasn't me making a joke or trying to get out of helping you.

Tell me what your goals are. If it's to win a tourny, then i'm gona be honest with you FROM MY EXP with DDD, that you cannot do it with DDD alone, or even DDD as your starting character. DDD has too many counters to be your starting pick vs any person.

His design is BEST used as a counterpick. and he's damn good at it. IMO he's the BEST counterpick character in the game as he breaks more MU's than any character in the game. There are just too many random (not even the best ones) characters that **** on him simply because of their natural playstyle (camping).

He can't be played alone, thats the bottom line.

If you told me your goals are different, that it's to have fun, or just become the best with ddd, or to win but keep DDD as a solid 2ndary, i will sit down with you and play and teach you DDD to the best of my ability if I'm given the time.

If you ever catch me at a smashfest, i usually spend the entirity of the time teaching people deeper and deeper aspects of the game, no matter who's asking be it an old melee pro, or a wiimote only using brawl "scrub".

If you have a desire to play, get better, and are aware of your specific goals, I will help you the best I can. Something I am not gonna do is find you, and help you decide what your goals should be. That's something you need to figure out on your own. Once you know your goals, the questions you should be asking will come to you naturally, and that's when I'll be able to help you improve the most.

I do NOT go out of my way to teach people that are not willing to ask questions. That's the bottom line, you can take it or leave it. (That applies to anyone.)

Master Raven

Smash Master
I'm sorry your experience wasn't good.

But, if you did not take the time to go up to and ask players for advice, you shouldn't complain. No one, whether they're a top player or a newbie, has any obligation to go out of their way to help people, as much as you and I don't like it, but since most top players aren't ****s, they would LIKE to do that, but you gotta let them know.

Don't judge us by one tourney, come and actually talk to us and then we'll do what we can to help.

Two-Ell

Smash Master
I'll agree with you on that the venue is pretty ****ty, but it's what we have right now unfortunately. I'm sorry your first ZP wasn't enjoyable. My first ZP(a year ago now) is a bit fuzzy to recall. I wasn't really given much attention considering I was new and I wanted the same things you did(the better players to at the least play with me). It takes time though. These tournies will grow on you. As for playing, you have to be somewhat aggressive about that. You need to tell people that you want to play and that you've got next. When you see a free set up, grab someone and sit them down. Also chat with people so we get to know you more.

That particular ZP you went to wasn't that good either. Several people left and took setups with them because they decided it was a good idea to play LoL all night and get no sleep x3

Oh and as for attention from top players. That's something I've previously referred to. I don't want to sound like a broken record though, so I'll just give a bit of advice. It's not going to be easy playing/talking to them whenever. Keep trying though, You can always squeeze a few friendlies from one of them. While you're playing just ask them to point some things out.

:rosalina:

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
Lol yea bro I don't give advice without being asked. Cause a lot of people take that as "this ***** dissing me?"

Polar

Smash Rookie
Did you call next at any station?
Did you go up to anybody and ask to play?
That's what us "pros" do.
You cannot sit back and hope somebody wants to play with somebody they have never seen before.
Nobody is going to give you random advice. Play a couple of matches, and ****ing ask for some.
Yes, and yes. I asked for next; I asked for help. Why can't I expect someone to play with me for not being known? That is a downfall on your part, as the existing community, more than mine.

Just because you're new, doesn't mean we're going to cater to you. If you do not speak up, you WILL be ignored. That's how it works.
Also, nobody makes fun of people for not using a GC controller. It's just different, as most of us use a GC.
You should cater to new players. That's what makes a community grow. I'm not asking for full attention, just to at least be recognized. Where was that? Nowhere.

So, basically, you have to not be in the background, or you will be treated like the background.
And that is what I disagree with. Any new player there will immediately be in the background in a community where everyone already knows each other. That's the comfort zone of new players.

And my advice to you "not playing ddd" wasn't me making a joke or trying to get out of helping you.

Tell me what your goals are. If it's to win a tourny, then i'm gona be honest with you FROM MY EXP with DDD, that you cannot do it with DDD alone, or even DDD as your starting character. DDD has too many counters to be your starting pick vs any person.

His design is BEST used as a counterpick. and he's damn good at it. IMO he's the BEST counterpick character in the game as he breaks more MU's than any character in the game. There are just too many random (not even the best ones) characters that **** on him simply because of their natural playstyle (camping).

He can't be played alone, thats the bottom line.
Where was this advice at the tournament, when I was playing?

I start off with a character, and the only advice I'm given is to not use that character. It's intimidating for me to ask for any more help if one of the better Dedede players says something like that. Is that what you tell to all players who play non-top tier characters?

If you told me your goals are different, that it's to have fun, or just become the best with ddd, or to win but keep DDD as a solid 2ndary, i will sit down with you and play and teach you DDD to the best of my ability if I'm given the time.
I'm not bashing you specifically for not helping. The failure was a group effort. You were actually the only one who even bothered saying anything to me.

If you ever catch me at a smashfest, i usually spend the entirity of the time teaching people deeper and deeper aspects of the game, no matter who's asking be it an old melee pro, or a wiimote only using brawl "scrub".
Smashfests? Benny said you guys don't hold Smashfests anymore. I lurk these forums a lot, and haven't seen anything on them, so I don't know how someone like me would ever find out about them.

If you have a desire to play, get better, and are aware of your specific goals, I will help you the best I can. Something I am not gonna do is find you, and help you decide what your goals should be. That's something you need to figure out on your own. Once you know your goals, the questions you should be asking will come to you naturally, and that's when I'll be able to help you improve the most.

I do NOT go out of my way to teach people that are not willing to ask questions. That's the bottom line, you can take it or leave it. (That applies to anyone.)
I understand what you're saying, but as a fresh-out-of-the-box player, I don't even know what type of goals to be creating. Do I want to have fun? Of course. Do I want to win? Of course, but I don't expect to any time soon.

"Get better". It doesn't matter how much I play against computers, or at home with casual-playing friends, the only way to "get better" is to go to tournament-style play. I did. And I felt shut down. There were no other players on my level to practice my basic fundamentals with. I can't set any goals— I don't even know what goals to set— because I don't have my fundamentals down.

I am not trying to bash you or anyone specifically. As a whole, the community is discouraging and uninviting to new players.

DC

Smash Cadet
Lmao if you go to a tournament and don't say anything, NOBODY WILL EVER SPEAK TO YOU.

Actually Green Ace and I routinely beat up the quiet kids.

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
I'm sorry if I wasn't helping you that much, but if I recall you were asking me advice while i was playing someone, in the middle of matches or just sitting down to play so my mind wasn't all there. For that I appoligize.

And the whole "anyone not top tier" thing, no theres a good handful of hightiers, and some mid-tiers that can be decent starters, but most DO require a 2ndary at least for their bad matchups, its those badmatchups that make the character not top tier lol.

DDD is just a really good character that can't be a starter because his bad matchups are not only the top tiers, its random scattered characters throughout the tier list as well.

but like i said, he's a broken 2ndary... i'm sure you can find a character that at least goes even or close to even with his bad MU's to main, then use DDD to counter/destroy everyone else.

izzy24

Smash Ace
alright come on guys anyone up for tomorrow? dfear, xaltis, seibrik, nick, esam, polar, 2link, snipa, chaz, afro, even DC???????? idc if its one more person or a group. I can be there anytime after 3

LET ME KNOW

Ruuku

Smash Lord
Don't a bunch of you all still go to FIU? Try to holla at the game room of something. Or try to form a club. Try to get in touch with Play'n'Trades or something. Why is this scene so freaking lazy yo?

OverLade

Smash Hero
Did you call next at any station?
Did you go up to anybody and ask to play?
That's what us "pros" do.
You cannot sit back and hope somebody wants to play with somebody they have never seen before.
Nobody is going to give you random advice. Play a couple of matches, and ****ing ask for some.
Just because you're new, doesn't mean we're going to cater to you. If you do not speak up, you WILL be ignored. That's how it works.
Also, nobody makes fun of people for not using a GC controller. It's just different, as most of us use a GC.

So, basically, you have to not be in the background, or you will be treated like the background.
Being indifferent to randoms is the same as rejecting them. You have to show people what's good about your scene or they won't be interested in coming back.

People end up loving the smash scene after being a part of it. Going to Dennys after tournaments. Cheering for and against the same people. Feeling like you're a part of a community is why the people who are still in the scene are still in the scene, and the people who quit don't play anymore.

I'm guessing not feeling like a part of the community because it either doesn't appeal to them or it isn't inviting to them is why people like Jerz and Underground quit/don't come out.

In Tampa whenever someone wants to play smash with them I HOP ON THAT ****. I message people with videos and advice every few days. I LIKE THEIR STATUS' THAT ARENT EVEN RELEVANT TO SMASH. I ask them questions about their real life. I make people wanna come back and that's why in Tampa we have people who drive an hour and a half to come to Smashfests. Because I work hard to make **** worth it.

Don't a bunch of you all still go to FIU? Try to holla at the game room of something. Or try to form a club. Try to get in touch with Play'n'Trades or something. Why is this scene so freaking lazy yo?
Agreed... srsly. People from the USF smash club be comin out ALL DAI.

DC

Smash Cadet
Because it's a bunch of little ****ing kids.

Incidentally I'll be at ZP tomorrow to play Blazblue because the Blazblue players aren't ******** and know how to set up get togethers.

Toneh

Smash Lord
Being indifferent to randoms is the same as rejecting them. You have to show people what's good about your scene or they won't be interested in coming back.

People end up loving the smash scene after being a part of it. Going to Dennys after tournaments. Cheering for and against the same people. Feeling like you're a part of a community is why the people who are still in the scene are still in the scene, and the people who quit don't play anymore.

I'm guessing not feeling like a part of the community because it either doesn't appeal to them or it isn't inviting to them is why people like Jerz and Underground quit/don't come out.

In Tampa whenever someone wants to play smash with them I HOP ON THAT ****. I message people with videos and advice every few days. I LIKE THEIR STATUS' THAT ARENT EVEN RELEVANT TO SMASH. I ask them questions about their real life. I make people wanna come back and that's why in Tampa we have people who drive an hour and a half to come to Smashfests. Because I work hard to make **** worth it.

Agreed... srsly. People from the USF smash club be comin out ALL DAI.
Tony Duke likes this.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
I mean, when I first went to tournaments... I went with Seibrik.
We knew nobody.
We asked for help, got annoying about it, and became a part of the community.
I didn't complain that I got no help.
I didn't complain that I couldn't play much.
I just went in, balls deep.
That's what you gotta do.
New players will ALWAYS be background. You have to bring yourself up to the foreground. If you're too intimidated to come talk to us loud enough taht we can hear, you're probably not very social so we don't want to talk to you.

AfroQT

Smash Master
I'm surprised by how deep this discussion has gotten. Im not gonna sit here and say i want the scene to die, but i'll be surprised if it doesn't.

OverLade

Smash Hero
I mean, when I first went to tournaments... I went with Seibrik.
We knew nobody.
We asked for help, got annoying about it, and became a part of the community.
I didn't complain that I got no help.
I didn't complain that I couldn't play much.
I just went in, balls deep.
That's what you gotta do.
New players will ALWAYS be background. You have to bring yourself up to the foreground. If you're too intimidated to come talk to us loud enough taht we can hear, you're probably not very social so we don't want to talk to you.
1. It's easy for you to say that when your region already had an established scene already.

2. Not everyone is tenacious or extroverted. Some people start off just wanting to enjoy themselves and end up getting good or competitive later. Imo it's a huge waste of potential watching new players come and go, because how many of them could have been RedHalberds, or BunnyMas? I won't let anyone quit until I find out.

But I will because I'm just gonna dedicate my time to everyone new kid with a classic controller or bad character (I'll make them pick up a decent character though :cool:) so that risk isn't taken.

Lambchops understood this...

AfroQT

Smash Master
1. It's easy for you to say that when your region already had an established scene already.

2. Not everyone is tenacious or extroverted. Some people start off just wanting to enjoy themselves and end up getting good or competitive later. Imo it's a huge waste of potential watching new players come and go, because how many of them could have been RedHalberds, or BunnyMas? I won't let anyone quit until I find out.

But I will because I'm just gonna dedicate my time to everyone new kid with a classic controller or bad character (I'll make them pick up a decent character though :cool:) so that risk isn't taken.

Lambchops understood this...
Lol lambchops teachings have been almost completely forgotten at this point.

DC

Smash Cadet
eat a d!ck, chops never walked up to random scrub****s and taught them how to play. the only thing he believed was that lifes a ***** and then you die, thats why we get high, because you never know when you gonna go

AfroQT

Smash Master
eat a d!ck, chops never walked up to random scrub****s and taught them how to play. the only thing he believed was that lifes a ***** and then you die, thats why we get high, because you never know when you gonna go
EXCEPT chops did that to SO MANY people you have no idea what you are talking about DC.

I know me and MVD are great examples.

DC

Smash Cadet
EXCEPT chops did that to SO MANY people you have no idea what you are talking about DC.

lol i was joking, havent you listened to illmatic?

i knew i should have made a joke about chops' c0ck

OverLade

Smash Hero
^ Yeah I agree with Justin, if people want help/practice and ASK for it, from what I've seen I think it's very easy to get that in the community, really all you have to do is show some dedication and ask. There's always at least a few hours of free play at ESAM's ZPs. Even if you don't have the titanium balls required to say "I got next" on a TV, you can even bring your own TV/Wii so you can ALWAYS use it for whatever you want. The only way I think people would not wanna play with you is if you're a really unlikable person or something then obviously people aren't going to want to be around you.
That's not true. I see people reject friendlies all the time, and I've definitely done it myself, to newcomers and veterans. Sometimes I just don't feel like playing certain matchups or certain people or would rather watch somone else play. With that being said, that's why personally encouraging people is much better and it's the job of the local scene where the tourney is being hosted. If you see unfamiliar faces at your tourney, make them feel welcome. Many of my favorite tourney hosts (I'll just callout Xyro ) did an amazing job because they made me feel welcome in a foreign place and made me wanna come back (I did).
Lol lambchops teachings have been almost completely forgotten at this point.
LOL that stuff was too nailbiting to forget. Couldn't stop thinking about it so it became my obsession and the theories I have about players today...

lol i was joking, havent you listened to illmatic?

i knew i should have made a joke about chops' c0ck
DC gets called out.

"I WAS TROLLING"

DC

Smash Cadet
not bad at all

but life's a ***** spits the truth so hard

makes me want to drop out, quit my job and smoke until i die

EDIT: lol 2link so manly

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
I just want to make a note that people shouldn't be scared to talk to anyone at a VIDEO GAME tournament.

This is primarily a nerd/introvert group of people.

Feeling insecure to talk to people who are just like you is silly.

Personally i'm ****ing cool though.

GreenAce

Smash Ace
Just got back from zp. 9 people randomly showed up for mvc3 and sf. Benny's hyped *** brawl practice, 2 people LOL.

Obviously the smash community can't help new people when they can't even help themselves lmao.

DC

Smash Cadet
at the next zp tournament im gonna announce that if anyone mentions that they are a new player i will personally break their legs and take their controller

Top Bottom