• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fixing the Pit Boards.

Coffee™

I need it....
Ok so, after browsing around the Pit boards recent threads (recent meaning the past few months) I've come to the realisation that the Pit boards are probably one of the most unproductive and uninteresting boards I've ever come across. Threads about arrow looping, wingdashing, matchup threads that haven't been completed etc...

Are you seriously telling me that after a year this is the best the "pit community" can come up with? Well it's obviously pretty lackluster and borderline useless.

As of now I'm going to take some kind of stand as to improving this board, wheter it be through simply closing uninportant threads like the "great debate thread" or closing topics that go ridiculously out of hand like the current Masashi topic.

This is my short plea to the members that come here to step it up and actually make some kind of use of this board. If anyone has any kind of suggestions for the board feel free to do so here in this thread.

K bai
.:):mad:

Rogue Pit

Smash Lord
It seems our disagreements are too great. We should either end the debates with a general statement or move on. Matchup stoof ftw

SuSa

Banned via Administration
^ that's what I was told about the Snake boards.

Look at us now.

:023:

DK boards are slowly coming back as well.

:dk:

And unlike the Link boards, we still have the actual mains and knowledgeable players here.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I would recommend keeping only the Pit Matchup and Pit-in-doubles discussions to limit the posters and make them contribute more.
Keep Salty's Pit combo vid idea open only because I really wish to see how this turns out, and that Im contributing to that. Remember that our main discussions are the doubles and matchups, for we need to progress, and I've been around other boards, like the ICs one helping them out when needed.
Our other problem is that we need more Pits and their opinions to contribute, since we probably wont be relying on the opinions of the other boards, though revising with em helps.
Nonetheless, I hope this will help the Pit boards more.

goodkid

Smash Lord
You have definitely copied my idea from the Peach forums >_> but this will make Pit stronger and he needs it. Plus Pit is one of my secondaries so I want to see what happens.

teh_pwns_the

Smash Journeyman
The great debate thread was necessary at the time, because the debate was happening in at least three different threads, so it might as well become localized so that the other threads could be used for what they were supposed to be used for, seeing as the debate died out, it can probably be closed down now, but yeah we are rather useless haha

KY_Des

Smash Ace
Our thread consists of "rawr arrow loops yay" and "omg mk butt ***** me."

Until the players get rid of this type of mindset and try to be productive, this character board is beyond hope. I'll do what I can to bring a professional atmosphere to this board and spread my knowledge to other players.

Honestly, we really have no excuse. DK boards had to deal with the DDD infinite, Lucas had the Marth grab release, Fox had the Pikachu infinite, and Sonic... well, its Sonic. Our character doesn't have near as many problems as some of the others among the cast. There's no reason their metagame should be advancing faster than ours.

Get sherioush!

Polar Bear

Smash Rookie
I've only been here a few days, but I've noticed the repetition and dullness of some threads in this forum. For improvements, I think it could use some more social conversation instead of the great deal of arrow looping threads, and the like, that we currently have.

I think the major problem is lack of new ideas. Looking at the DK boards, there are almost no repeat threads which promotes more discussion. After all, who wants to post what they've already said in four similar threads? I don't know, that's just my opinion. Like I said, I'm pretty new so my opinion may or may not be valid.

teh_pwns_the

Smash Journeyman
probably a good choice, even though tid bits thread has been good, might be a good indicator that we are heading in the right direction again

Sharkz

Smash Ace
NNID
Sharkz1
Yes, this board is definately one of the reasons I have lost a lot of interest in Brawl & that my Pit hasn't improved in 3+ months. In the first couple months of Brawl I loved coming to (AKA stalking :p) the Pit boards. But now I come here maybe once a week to see if anyone has come up with anything new and/or interesting but I can't remember the last time I learned something really helpful here and most the new threads are remakes of threads that weren't completed and now some of these new threads seem as if they won't be completed (And seriously how many Pit matchup threads have we had in the last year? Like 17? (Exaggerating obviously :p)). But really I know we can do better guys!
And I'm definately not blaming it on y'all. At least some of y'all are trying to help, but I can't remember the last time I did something for this community! I know some of y'all are reading this thread and thinking to yourselves "Man these guys need to step it up." but people like Adm. & Rogue can't do it by themselves! (Yes, I know there are more than that. I just picked 2 off the top of my head ;)). You and I need to step it up and help this place out! We ALL need to participate, whether it be finding out Pit's best doubles partner or best secondary or certain matchups or whatever! We all can make a huge differance and make Pit an actual threat instead of 'that spammy character with the annoying voice'.
And may I suggest a deletion of ALL the threads that are practically useless & update those 3 months old guides and whatnot? I know it may take a while but I think we can make this board a very productive place!

(Sorry for any typos or errors, I wrote this on wii internet ;) )

Ax00x0

Smash Apprentice
I need to contribute more, I feel bad for not. I will step it up.

Rogue Pit

Smash Lord
Pit boards for most locked threads :D.

Now i gotta say something useful so i dont get an infraction.

Pit just has no serious representation. No veterans use him in the US. So the forums is full of 08ers which makes in unproductives. Its like a house of kids and teens, but most are just hard headed.

Lezard

Smash Journeyman
Pit boards for most locked threads :D.

Now i gotta say something useful so i dont get an infraction.

Pit just has no serious representation. No veterans use him in the US. So the forums is full of 08ers which makes in unproductives. Its like a house of kids and teens, but most are just hard headed.

Hehehe, you are so mean Rogue, still you have a point there. I think that 90% of the people who use him is because he is an Angel they don't really care about mastering him and fact that is arrows can curve lolol..."look! did you see his arrow came back" went i use him at my first tournament in Jamaica it cause a scene. Its really sad nobody interesting in using him effectively

Coffee™

I need it....
This isn't a discussion thread. If you have suggestions as to what improvements can be made with the board then feel free to post. If you don't then simply don't post.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Some Pits, moreso the new ones now a days that I have come across have continued their AT stuff, which is actually a poison towards Pit and his potential, for Pit players need to learn fundamentals, such as these:

-Learning how to ledgecamp well, which will prove useful in some matchups
-F-throw Chaingrab, which should be done on heavies and fast fallers (I think this one is covered)
-F-throw to Stutterstep Fsmash to the rest of the chars, cept Marth, and I only fought about 4-10 outta 50+ Pits that I've played that do this to me.

And one of my biggest concerns is that we never were able to finish the Pit matchup discussion, even after we went though it about twice in different threads.
Pit players need to be aware of his bad matchups too. Those would be:
Marth: His speed and range pressures us easily
MK: What else is new, he's broken
G&W: B-air outprioritizes every single one of Pit's options, and can bucket arrows.
Wario: Dont let him fool u, his aerials and priority over Pit is just some of the things this guy gots
Kirby: Small and annoying
Olimar: We really cant camp against him, we are bascially forced to approach

Other noticable close and troubling matches would be from TL outcamping us, and Falco being annoying.

_Sync_

Smash Apprentice
Perhaps updated guides that covers the current Metagame and perhaps completing the frame data. If I had the knowledge and time, I would probably help with the frame data. And what would you say to a video guide that would give beginner players a better visual as to what to work on.

These were just some suggestions.

Hayang

Smash Journeyman
I'll be hardcore finishing my guide and reviewing it with Kown, R@yvn, and Rogue after finals are over.

If you guys would like to help make a video guide I would be glad to organize the effort.

Phaigne

Smash Journeyman
I have an idea. I've worked on it a little today. It's pretty much just a think tank, but once I get time to show you guys later, hopefully it will bring new definitive light to Pit's meta-game.

shinyspoon42

Smash Journeyman
I'm willing to help with any debate on any topic, I think the fact that you are energizing the boards once more shows that Pit is not dead. Good luck to you guys, I think Pit still can improve so much more, and I'll help any way I can.

Afro Boy2000

Smash Journeyman
The problem I think we have with these boards is that we focus on too many usless little gimmicks instead of focusing on the most important things we need to worry about for Pit. We need to stop opening threads about these useless techs and focus more on matchup strategies, working around Pit's overall weaknesses and altogether advancing his metagame.

Kown's Matchup tidbit thread is basically the only recent thing that discusses all this and it's probably the best thread thats been made on these boards in months.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
So I'm having a lot of ideas that may help out in this regard. I think one of them is to revise the sticky threads a bit, possibly renaming or replacing some of them... Particularly the matchup thread. I think that could really use a reboot.

More important than that, though, I think we need to start actually using the Pit Back Room. Open discussion gets cluttered and off-topic, and usually has a lot of useless or misleading input. When you really think about it, the SBR exists in order to efficiently create a consensus among smash players. They can give you a rigidly defined tier list and official ruleset, despite all the disagreements among the masses. If we can rekindle some interest from the Pit BR members-- possibly adding or removing certain members as needed-- we can start using it to cast votes and get some discrete information to start putting in our sticky threads. We can have "official" matchup percentages, counterpick recommendations, and more.

And because we're behind on matchup discussion, we actually have the advantage of seeing what the other character boards say about the Pit matchup, and take their thoughts into account while composing ours. :)

Coffee™

I need it....
So I'm having a lot of ideas that may help out in this regard. I think one of them is to revise the sticky threads a bit, possibly renaming or replacing some of them
I agree...What do you/anyone else suggest?

... Particularly the matchup thread. I think that could really use a reboot.
It's under Admiral's control now so he should be changing or updating it shortly I'd think, but you can all go bug him to stop being lazy :)

More important than that, though, I think we need to start actually using the Pit Back Room. Open discussion gets cluttered and off-topic, and usually has a lot of useless or misleading input. When you really think about it, the SBR exists in order to efficiently create a consensus among smash players. They can give you a rigidly defined tier list and official ruleset, despite all the disagreements among the masses. If we can rekindle some interest from the Pit BR members-- possibly adding or removing certain members as needed-- we can start using it to cast votes and get some discrete information to start putting in our sticky threads. We can have "official" matchup percentages, counterpick recommendations, and more.
Sounds good, I'll post this back there. So PBR members check up.

And because we're behind on matchup discussion, we actually have the advantage of seeing what the other character boards say about the Pit matchup, and take their thoughts into account while composing ours. :)
Probably.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
I posted some of my thoughts in the back room. I think beyond rebooting the matchup thread a great idea would be a sort of "Pit Strategy Guide" thread where we post information on how to play the character without dividing it up among moveset lists. That way people can easily grasp the basic ideas behind the character just by reading a few paragraphs.

Edit: I'm trying to subscribe to the pit back room... but it doesn't look like there's a way to subscribe to social groups. -,-

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
Sorry to necro this thread, but I remembered it from a while back, and I have a question about all this:

What can I, as a relatively newbish Pit, do to help?

If there's some kind of testing I could run through, anything like that, I'd love to help. Or should I just focus on improving my Pit until I'm at a higher level?

Top Bottom