• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fixed Brawl (v0.15)

Toomai

Smash Ace
[snappy title/cool image pending]

Download v0.15 here
Download v0.1 here

DISCLAIMER: This is the first Brawl hack I've attempted to distribute. It's possible I'm not doing something right; maybe I uploaded the wrong file, or changed the wrong flags, or the upload itself did something wrong. Also, as a version 0.15, it's rather incomplete and may not be worth your download right now. Just a heads up.

Fixed Brawl (or B=) is a project aimed to do just what it says on the can. Brawl as it is has quite a few errors and inconsistencies; if you want them fixed without affecting the rest of the game, you've come to the right place.

Fixed Brawl's philosophy is that only things that are unquestionable errors should be fixed. This covers coding errors and inconsistencies such as:
  • Glitches/Bugs
  • Using a synchronous timer instead of an asynchronous one
  • Asymmetrical hurtboxes for symmetrical characters
  • Animations not properly flowing into each other
  • One character having a different property from all other characters that does not seem to be a design decision
  • Kirby's version of a move having different properties than the original (that are not a result of Kirby's different body shape)

The current version of Fixed Brawl is v0.15. It is nowhere near complete; the only reason this topic exists is to get feedback and possibly discussion on the concept.

The following fixes have been implemented:
[collapse="Changelist for Fixed Brawl v0.15"]
Donkey Kong:
  • Fixed timing error in fair autocancelling
  • Reanimated Giant Punch aerial ending to flow into helpless
Toon Link:
  • Changed type of f-throw's first hit from Foot to Body
Ganondorf:
  • Fixed timing error in fair autocancelling
Samus:
  • Increased size of pummel from 7.2 to 8.5; should stop it from sometimes missing Bowser
Kirby:
  • Changed copy abilities for consistency with originals:
    • Giant Punch:
      • Reanimated aerial ending to flow into helpless
    • Mach Tornado:
      • Fixed bottom of tornado on aerial opponents (hitbox 1) so it can flinch
      • Reanimated aerial ending to flow into helpless
    • Falco's Blaster:
      • Freeze frames multiplier changed from x1.0 to x0.1
      • Type/Effect changed from Typeless/Normal to Energy/Electric
    • Chef:
      • Disabled absorbability of projectiles
[/collapse]
The following fixes are not yet implemented but are planned to be:
[collapse="Planned Changes for Future Releases"]
General:
  • Fix tech timing
  • Fix special move landing lag glitch
All Smashers:
  • Ensure perfect symmetry of hurtboxes (obvious exception of Samus's lower arms)
  • Fix glitches involving being knocked out of a trapping Final Smash before its completion
Peach:
  • Fix stunted Beam Sword glitch
Giga Bowser:
  • Give types to moveset
Yoshi:
  • Fix grab escape freeze glitch
Wario-Man:
  • Give types to moveset
Link:
  • Fix down throw so both hits always hit Jigglypuff
  • Allow interrupting of standing and walking eating animations at same time as other characters'
Toon Link:
  • Fix down throw so both hits always hit Jigglypuff
Sheik:
  • Fix Chain Jacket glitch
Meta Knight:
  • Fix Infinite Dimensional Cape glitch
Mr. Game & Watch:
  • Allow use of Fire after grab release
Pit:
  • Allow use of Wings of Icarus after grab release
Olimar:
  • Fix ghost Pikmin glitch(es)
  • Fix Pikmin grab drown freeze glitch
  • Fix infinite Green Greens spinning glitch
Sonic:
  • Allow use of Spring Jump after grab release
Snake:
  • Allow use of Cypher after grab release
  • Stop shield-dropping of grenades if they aren't in Snake's hand
Stages:
  • Try to ensure all applicable stages are perfectly flat and symmetrical
Bolded items are believed to be complete and will be added in the next release.
Italic items are believed to be more difficult to fix.
[/collapse]
If you are aware of a glitch, bug, or other error that is not in either of the above lists, please post it.

Also, there are a few changes that are currently nebulous as to whether they are errors or design decisions:
[collapse="List of possible changes"]
  • Editing grab release animations: animation length is generally not an error, but there appears to be no logic in giving a few specific characters large frame disadvantages on release
  • Kirby's Aura Sphere: is it a design decision or programming laziness that Kirby's current damage does not affect it?
[/collapse]Discussion of these points would be appreciated.

Other notes: As the goal of this mod is rather simple compared to others, I am not currently looking for coding help with this project; I also do not plan on using any code from some other mod. We shall see in the future if either is necessary.

On the other hand, if you want to use some or all of these changes in a mod of your own, you may do so provided you give credit. Maybe in the future I'll make some image that reads "Includes Fixed Brawl vX.Y" or something.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
This doesn't interest me at all because... it's Brawl. But still, good luck to you. It's good that you're doing work with others in mind.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Oh, and there's also a bug in the game where Metaknight can lose matches.

Evilagram

Smash Journeyman
I am using this thread mostly as, "list of things brawl broke", because that's what its good for.

I hope your changes stand some chance of implementation into project M, but many of them are intensive in a way that would be difficult to merge with an existing mod.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Wait, why would these be implemented into Project M? Project M is a completely different project in every single respect. The majority of moves are completely recoded to a certain extent. Much of the bugged code no longer exists.

Also, the RCO lag glitch being italicized... There's a simple code that fixes it, just google Triple Jump Glitch Fix code.

Toomai

Smash Ace
It's stickied because this is a brawl codeset, you provided a changelog, and you have a download link.
Didn't know the criteria were that simple; I thought a codeset had to be considered "important" in some way.
Also, the RCO lag glitch being italicized... There's a simple code that fixes it, just google Triple Jump Glitch Fix code.
Yeah, but I'm going to try and do it with .pac editing first, since that's something I understand.

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
It's much better to just use a small code that fixes a glitch for all characters rather than having to edit each pac individually.

Triple Jump Glitch Fix [Phantom Wings/spunit262]
* 04858DCC 38830003

Toomai

Smash Ace
Why would I have to edit multiple .pacs? Wouldn't just editing Fighter.pac be enough?

Anyway, v0.15 is now out. Did the Giant Punch (DK/Kirby) and Mach Tornado (Kirby) animation fixes.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
RCO lag = Recovery Carry-Over lag
Far better a term than "Triple Jump Glitch". I associate that automatically with PT getting an extra jump for Ivy and Squirtle when transforming and ending up airborne. Took me the longest time to realize that RCO lag and TJG were one and the same.

Also, isn't the glitch fix a fighter.pac injection?

Revven

FrankerZ
Actually no, there's a legitimate error in the coding with a statusID in fighter.pac. shanus would know exactly what that was I think.

ElDominio

Smash Journeyman
Isn't the ability to cancel hitstun with an attack/airdodge a glitch?
That would be why you can't jump cancel or interrupt hitstum with a B move.

I propose the hitstun. I've seen it in many places that the problem was that they forgot to add hitstun code, that's why the animation is there but the effect isn't.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Isn't the ability to cancel hitstun with an attack/airdodge a glitch?
That would be why you can't jump cancel or interrupt hitstum with a B move.

I propose the hitstun. I've seen it in many places that the problem was that they forgot to add hitstun code, that's why the animation is there but the effect isn't.
No. It is not a glitch. It is just the fact that you can do an aerial, air dodge, or jump out of tumble.

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
the last frame of jumpsquat (or first frame you spend in the air?), where the game ignores any button input you make

actually, i think the code is already out lol
Pretty sure this was in Brawl+

Remove Dead Frame from Jump [Shanus]
* 06FC18F8 00000010
* 00020000 00000000
* 00020000 00000000

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
You should fix grab releases too. It's no fun when people are grabbing the **** our of you for three minutes :(

ElDominio

Smash Journeyman
You should fix grab releases too. It's no fun when people are grabbing the **** our of you for three minutes :(
but, that's not a glitch

That's the problem with all the new mods, they all try to "fix" character balance and make the game more "fun", while in reality this is removing depth and the very thing that makes it fun.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
but, that's not a glitch

That's the problem with all the new mods, they all try to "fix" character balance and make the game more "fun", while in reality this is removing depth and the very thing that makes it fun.
Heh, I just noticed the hypocrisy now (not in your post, but that you pointed it out). And wait, do you mean that removing grab release infinites removes depth or what? If that's what you mean, you have some sick, twisted take on fun because grab releases are absolute bull**** and they don't add any depth at all.

If that's not what you meant, then ignore the above.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Ultimately what really should be said is that this hack doesn't actually change the game, only fix the bugs.

Don't even put depth or any sort of balancing into this. Grab releases are an unintentional side-effect from intentional programming, and not really an error or bug, so they stay.

If literally this is like one big bug patch, it has a niche. Any sort of balance patch for the annoying things like grab releases means this is instantly outed by bBrawl.

If this stays as vanilla as possible, it might even become rather solid to use in tournies.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Mario's down tilt, Ganon's up+b do not cause hitstun at all.

ZSS' jab is supposed to chain on all characters but doesn't. Also she can't do her down-b again when hit, but Diddy can do his side-b again, and they are basically the same move.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Mario's DTilt causes hitstun. Not much, but a frame or two.

Ganon's Up-B doesn't. This is a result of the kind of knockback it results in afaik, it doesn't put the target into tumble thus they can immediately act. Character weakness, not a bug.

Also in general jab combos not linking should probably be considered a bug, they are called jab COMBOS for a reason. The only non-linking combos being on new characters further cements it.

There's a very fine line between poor design decisions and legitimate bugs in gameplay. There's a solid brick wall between programming errors and those two.

Top Bottom