• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

First game you cared for a character?

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Ohh yea those 12 Demo troopers in Metroid Prime 3

I grew attached to them that i had to restart the game any time they die. Or else the screams will haunt you forever...
Umm, is this a bad time to say that I have Metroid Prime 3 and I never heard them scream. Seriously, I always lose at least one guy and never heard a shriek. I have the volume on a setting that will make a shriek register, yet I never heard of it. I didn't even know it existed until you guys told me it did. There's a shriek?

Agi

Smash Lord
Link and Midna from Twilight Princess. That was my 1st Zelda game and also the 1st time I got sucked in a good story.
How true. How very true. First time i cried in a video game.. then earthbound came up. :(

Puddin

Smash Lord
The first game character I cared for was my neighbor from Animal Crossing. I would hate to see my favorite neighbor move :(

Darkslash

Smash Master
Umm, is this a bad time to say that I have Metroid Prime 3 and I never heard them scream. Seriously, I always lose at least one guy and never heard a shriek. I have the volume on a setting that will make a shriek register, yet I never heard of it. I didn't even know it existed until you guys told me it did. There's a shriek?
Yea Its faint but it haunting when you hear it. Its Like "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGG"

It doesn't sound Human. Maybe because too much action going around you? Its most clear at the first 2. Make a Aerial Trooper Die near the troops and your bound to hear it.

Gory snake

Smash Journeyman
Most likely Link on LoZ LttP.
I couldn't beat Trinexx, and I was severely ticked off.
Mostly that I couldn't beat him, not that Link died.
That was actually funny, and I tried it out in real life.
I was very dizzy, and my head hurt (those of you who have played the game know what I mean).

But.....I don't know.
Maybe Pokemon.
I've had several close calls.
Like beating Red with my level 65 and below team.
The only good Pokemon I had on my team was Lugia, and I didn't know what was super effective.
But none of that has ever really made me feel emotionally attached.

Oh wait.
It wasn't even the main character, it was actually a good guy gone bad.
Then you had to kill him but were beaten to it.
HINT.
Metroid Prime 3.
Rundas.
He was a really cool guy, saved your butt, then you have to turn around and kill him.
That was the suckiest moment in video game history.

There have been many instances of "Aww, come ON!" moments, like Riku choking the crap out of Roxas, Rayquaza getting served by Fox (I was really into Rayquaza and Pokemon), and Sora vs. Sephiroth (First time I ever faced him I got my tail handed to me in 12 seconds).

I'm guessing you've never heard of spoiler tags.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Games these days are beginning to create a stronger emotional connection between the player and the games' character(s). What was the first game that you've found yourself caring about your virtual personas?

Mine would probably have to be Final Fantasy X. The whole cast was interesting to watch, and included the unforgettable Sir Auron who joined your team. He rivals Solid Snake in badassery. But when you found that
Yuna was to be sacrificed,
I was like: NOOOOOOO!!! :chuckle:
sh... I was gonna say Yuna as well which got me somewhat emotionally attached

but yea the first game I felt like this was when I played Legend of Dragoon and I played as Sir Lavitz and he
was killed in Hellena Prison by Lloyd's Dragon Bustor Sword
which was really sad and dissapointing because I would never ever get achance to play as him again until I replayed the game over again.

klapaucius

Smash Apprentice
After reading this thread, I'll have to say Pokemon. It was the first game where I was actually sad about dying, er, blacking out, beyond the fact that I would have to start the area over.
The game that first game to mind, and the one where I really cared about the characters, was Golden Sun 2. The ending made me shed a single manly tear.

That said, I've never cared about my FE characters. They are nothing but pawns to me. I do reset when they die, 'cause I need that Knight. But I never think, "Aw, he's never going to see his parents again."
...Well, sometimes on tough missions I'll let a Cavalier go. But only because I have, like, five extra.

Donut!

Smash Apprentice
How true. How very true. First time i cried in a video game.. then earthbound came up. :(
Oh man don't even get me started on the first time I beat Earthbound, that was years ago, and I pretty much lost it, probably the most emotional gaming experience for me ever.

Link is a classic, probably the first character I ever loved and still my all-time favorite. The Hero of Time is just too cool, ever since NES I've been hooked, I still play the original and OoT religiously every year, it's like a pilgrimage to Mecca for me.

As for FE, you gotta reset if you lose one. If anyone has played FE Gaiden for the NES, then you know who that next to worthless little guy Cliff is, man he's horrible but I always reset for him.

Meccs

@Meccs_
Link is a classic, probably the first character I ever loved and still my all-time favorite. The Hero of Time is just too cool, ever since NES I've been hooked, I still play the original and OoT religiously every year, it's like a pilgrimage to Mecca for me.
this

10Links

Wrath`

Smash Master
I'd have to say DragonQuest XIII cursed king.
The plot and everthing was realy in depth, and I real felt like I was saving the world,
I cared for one of the semi evil character cause I knew hed pull through in the end.

okiyama

Smash Ace
Not really any characters because I don't tend to play plot driven games. The only way you can feel for a character is if there's an in depth plot.

British Geezer

Smash Cadet
Luigi, fo' sho'. I was always player 2 in Mario games and I've liked Luigi better ever since. I was overjoyed when they gave him a better jump than Mario in SMB2, but was gutted when they nerfed him in SMB3.

LP4Life666

Smash Journeyman
Not really any characters because I don't tend to play plot driven games. The only way you can feel for a character is if there's an in depth plot.
After reading many people's reactions to this thread, I disagree. Pokemon is one of the "big ones" that people feel a connection to their characters, but in reality the plot to Pokemon is paper thin. You are a Pokemon trainer, you collect Pokemon, and strive to become the best in the world. Is that not the most simplistic story you've ever heard?

It doesn't have to be Shakespeare to feel something for your virtual personas. I believe this thread supports that idea.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
Maybe Super Mario 64. Seeing Mario drown was so sad for me.

And then theres Pikmin, nuff said there.
*Moment of Silence*

Zevox

Smash Lord
The first one where I actually cared about the characters as characters, rather than just tools for the game? That'd likely be Ogre Battle 64, one of my first RPGs. The stellar storyline there drew me in in a way no other game before it had, and I certainly wound up caring for all the major (non-evil) characters - Magnus, Ankiseth, Yumil, Leia, even the annoying Dio.

One I have to mention I only played recently though that was fantastic at this was Persona 3 FES. That thing had me interested in and ultimately caring about the lives of pretty much everyone in the game with a name, villains and all - and even a couple of the nameless NPCs to boot! Plus there's the ending,
where your main character actually dies, which really drove home just how much the game's cast had grown on me, since it got me to thinking how tragic it was not only for him, but for all those he'd met and befriended throughout the game... **** that was a great game.

Zevox

Donut!

Smash Apprentice
Back on the whole Earthbound thing, when Pokey's mom swatted Buzz Buzz I was pretty furious. That whole Minch family would fall under characters I despise.

Speaking of which, what are some people's most hated characters? I know a lot of people will disagree with me on this one, but I absolutely despise Guile.

Wavekirby

Smash Journeyman
FE7 was actually really sad sometimes, I liked pretty much all of the characters in the game but... yeah... Also Chrono Trigger made me sad sometimes in various places. Those games were both gold.

Smash Apprentice
FE and Pokemon, definitely. Gold version didn't help that with its happiness, either, and FE's plots are fantastic.

Gooberly

Smash Rookie
Mario. Although i cared for him in a bad way. I would get so mad at him when i played my super nintendo. SO MAD:mad:
But then i grew to love yoshi after playing super smash bros 64. So cute. but otherwise i try to detatch myself from emotional connections to video games so as to not become addicted too much. =]

Darkwashu

Smash Ace
Fire Emblem for the GBA
Thought it wasnt really because I cared for the characters as a character, but because he has awesome stats.
And I was only 7 when I played it...
But the real first game where I cared about a character would be...*thinks real hard*
Either Toad from Mario Kart 64, or Ini from PW:2
Toad is jut awesome, and I love Ini's past
Even is Ini is a bat**** insane identity stealer who was a pawn for Morgan...

Keyy

Smash Apprentice
Your horse in Shadows of the Colossus. He/she helps you throughout the whole game until
you lose him/her when he/she flings you off the collapsing bridge to fall to his/her death so you can face the last Colossi.

Man I love that game.
I've never heard anyone say anything bad about this game. I'm thinking about buying a PS2 for this.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Yoshi. I've always loved the guy. :yoshi:

And I used to have the biggest crush on Princess Peach... still do kinda.. ^^;

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
-Pikachu from Hey You! Pikachu (I was like, 6)
-Colette from Tales of Symphonia
-All of my characters in Melee :]

Bigbattle22

Smash Apprentice
I like alot of video game characters, But I know two characters that I guess I care for.

Anise from Tales of the Abyss- cute as a button but has a bear doll that grows when she's in battle.

and Mignon Beart from KOF Maximum Impact- same thing as Anise, but she's bigger, uses magic, and talks to hersalf in the 3rd-person (I find the 3rd-person talk to be a bit funny.)

Top Bottom