• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

First Flight of The Ostrich a Raleigh, NC tournament 5/30

GAUVN

Smash Cadet
I don't know if this has been said yet, but regardless of PR placement, character matchups should be taken into account also, I think. I'd much rather play against DRPP first round rather than LDPK or any Snake player to be honest.

SSFF

mr.fizwidget

Smash Champion
what did everyone think of the stage striking system?
i thought it was pretty interesting although it had some flaws
striking first is a disadvantage that should not be settled by rock paper scissors
matches went to smashville 60% of the time but that is a good thing(being the most neutral stage) did anyone dislike it? anyone think it should become the standard?

Jon?

Smash Champion
Being a Falco player having Yoshi's Island and Lylat Cruise up there means that I could just tell my opponent "Choose any map you want as long as it is not Yoshi's Island or Lylat Cruise," both of which are counter picks against Falcos.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
I'm glad we didn't play too.

At the second flight of the ostrich omni's sister is coming with me during the dinner break. :laugh:

btw, doubles, and shady.

Flamingo

Smash Lord
flamingo you know you use mk right?

mk ***** pika. just play the matchup like you'd play ICs.
Yes, and I'm aware that my MK was the best in the state, however, I haven't played in a month :(

Regardless, I'd still rather face a Marth or another MK, because the matchups are more fun and isn't limited to just tornado, perfect approaches, and facing HxC camping after pika has the % lead..

I'm glad we didn't play too.

omni's sister is coming with me during the dinner
Sorry, she's already got a thing for me. Flamingo's a MM pro!
MM = Mormon Magnet XP
what does ssff stand for?
Straight Seven Fish Flop!!

Jon?

Smash Champion
When are you coming to a NC tourny, Flamy? I'm ready for your MK this time around. I eat MKs for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and a small bite at midnights!

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Are you in West, West NC now Flamingo? Maybe I can meet up with you somewhere if you're willing to do a little driving yourself.

What's the deal with straight seven fish flop? I don't think it's a video...

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I didn't read much of the debate yet, but I'm already going to say that if enough people want a random bracket, it should be allowed. My biggest reason: money. Sometimes I think people cherish both the money and the fame (PR's.. lol) a little too much. If you're confident in your skills it shouldn't matter who you're up against. Seeded brackets must exist, however, for the sake of more accurate PR's (the PR's aren't just for us.. others look at them too). When we do seeded brackets, they must be done in a way that is accurate, easy to understand, and consistent. My 2 cents.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Also if anyone who attended this tourney witnessed something bro-like and thinks the rankings panel of the Official North Carolina Bro Rankings should know about it, feel free to shoot a pm to a member of the panel describing the event.

Jon?

Smash Champion
I nominate Keith for Bro Rankings. He didn't break a window when I beat his MK.

Reference: see Ness spike incident.

Flamingo

Smash Lord
When are you coming to a NC tourny, Flamy? I'm ready for your MK this time around. I eat MKs for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and a small bite at midnights!
I'll be at HERB I believe. My parents dont like me stealing their vehicles but HERB is just something you can't miss.

I nominate Keith for Bro Rankings. He didn't break a window when I beat his MK.

Reference: see Ness spike incident.
That sounds a little BILLPOLAR to me!! XD

Are you in West, West NC now Flamingo? Maybe I can meet up with you somewhere if you're willing to do a little driving yourself.

What's the deal with straight seven fish flop? I don't think it's a video...
Lol I do need practice, and yes I am in Cullowhee right now. It's where Western Carolina University is located... about an hour west of Asheville. And sure I'd love to do it as long as I can clear transportation with my parents... and I'm looking for a job atm and almost have enough to get my Eclipse.

hmmmm and nah not a video.. but while I was mowing the lawn yesterday... I was like... STRAIGHT SEVEN FISH FLOP out of freakin nowhere, but basically I just decided to share it with you guys. muahahaha!

OmniOstrich

Smash Lord
I didn't read much of the debate yet, but I'm already going to say that if enough people want a random bracket, it should be allowed. My biggest reason: money. Sometimes I think people cherish both the money and the fame (PR's.. lol) a little too much. If you're confident in your skills it shouldn't matter who you're up against. Seeded brackets must exist, however, for the sake of more accurate PR's (the PR's aren't just for us.. others look at them too). When we do seeded brackets, they must be done in a way that is accurate, easy to understand, and consistent. My 2 cents.
You should look at the bracket and the PRs and tell me how they were stacked, we just had some upsets that is pretty much it.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Brawl brackets aren't going to be consistent no matter how you set them up. People are improving, new stuff is being discovered, and people have on and off days. If you don't like seeded brackets, host your own tournament with random ones and you'll be okay. There's a reason brackets have always been seeded, and I'm just going to ask you guys to trust me on that one because arguing really doesn't seem to work anymore....

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Kevin you're so cute when you overreact. How was prom?

Random brackets really aren't all bad lol. Keep in mind I never said we should start doing them. I said if enough people wanted to, it should be allowed (and obviously not at a big tournament like HERB).

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
And I said if people want to do them, they can host their own tournaments with them.
Prom was- THAT GIRL OH MY GOSH. I'll be thinkin about that for a while.....

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
You see, it was a girl different from my date (I told her I was gonna do this ahead of time, and, while none to happy, she said I could). This other girl, well, let's just say she had a donk, and that may be putting it lightly. I messed with this girl a lot in Calculus, and so I guess that's how you convince women these days to grind on you because that's pretty much how it happened lol. IT WAS GREAT would be an understatement of how that turned out. XD

So, all in all, I gave her the gentleman.

mr.fizwidget

Smash Champion
omni, the brackets at your tourney were spot on as far as seeding is concerned
the tourney was awesome
bill is ridiculously good at brawl(playing him for the first time in singles and watching him handle rag confirmed this)
did i mention how close our doubles sets were??

no matter what was said before good **** guys

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum
I suppose I'll tell the story.

Karn, ph00t, Keith, Shady, KSK, and I left Omni's house together past midnight for some.........COOK OUT! I wasn't hungry, but I was willing to chill. I could finish my Bojangles iced tea there anyway. Specifically, we were heading for the one in Cary. Karn and Keith's car led the way, ph00t followed close behind, and I brought up the rear (KSK and Shady were riding with me). We were a caravan of bros. :laugh:

So when we made it to the Cook Out......something was horribly wrong............IT WAS CLOSED! :urg: We sure were 'effin surprised. This particular Cook Out apparently wasn't as open as long as its other NC brethren.

Well, the problem remained. We still wanted to eat. Keith brought up Wendy's as an idea and we all agreed with no argument. I knew exactly where a nearby Wendy's was, so this time I led the way. Our destination was a plaza only a few minutes away from my place. (Lake Pine Plaza)

We made it to the Wendy's, (It wasn't in the plaza but so close to it you may as well consider it there.) but the bro caravan ran into yet another obstacle. IT CLOSED AT 1:00 AM. We arrived there at 1:10 or so, I believe.

Screwed as were, we didn't just give up the hunt. The nearby McDonald's in the plaza itself looked it would be our salvation. Take a wild guess as to what happened when we got there..........

CLOSED!

I don't know about the others, but the first thing that crossed my mind was "**** YOU MCDONALD'S!" It was a sad, sad moment indeed.

Do you think we'd give up there, though? Not a chance. Karn asked if we could check out the nearby Kroger and we were all game for that. If you can't get fast food, why not try a supermarket to satisfy your cravings? It was unconventional, but very logical. Besides, we weren't willing to haul ourselves all the way to the Cook Out in Raleigh. 30 seconds later, we checked out this plaza's Kroger. CLOSED! Well isn't that a lovely surprise? We were running out of options fast.........

I made the save, though, by suggesting we check out a Harris Teeter in a plaza only 5 minutes away (Crescent Commons Shopping Center). FINALLY, the wild goose chase came to an end. Harris Teeter was open and the bros got their food in the end.

The story happily ends with all of us eating and talking out in the middle of the parking lot at our cars past 2:00 AM. Good ****

THE END

Jon?

Smash Champion
Hmm...I had a good instinct to not follow you guys and just go straight home to make me a Hot Pocket.

GAUVN

Smash Cadet
I suppose I'll tell the story.

Karn, ph00t, Keith, Shady, KSK, and I left Omni's house together past midnight for some.........COOK OUT! I wasn't hungry, but I was willing to chill. I could finish my Bojangles iced tea there anyway. Specifically, we were heading for the one in Cary. Karn and Keith's car led the way, ph00t followed close behind, and I brought up the rear (KSK and Shady were riding with me). We were a caravan of bros. :laugh:

So when we made it to the Cook Out......something was horribly wrong............IT WAS CLOSED! :urg: We sure were 'effin surprised. This particular Cook Out apparently wasn't as open as long as its other NC brethren.

Well, the problem remained. We still wanted to eat. Keith brought up Wendy's as an idea and we all agreed with no argument. I knew exactly where a nearby Wendy's was, so this time I led the way. Our destination was a plaza only a few minutes away from my place. (Lake Pine Plaza)

We made it to the Wendy's, (It wasn't in the plaza but so close to it you may as well consider it there.) but the bro caravan ran into yet another obstacle. IT CLOSED AT 1:00 AM. We arrived there at 1:10 or so, I believe.

Screwed as were, we didn't just give up the hunt. The nearby McDonald's in the plaza itself looked it would be our salvation. Take a wild guess as to what happened when we got there..........

CLOSED!

I don't know about the others, but the first thing that crossed my mind was "**** YOU MCDONALD'S!" It was a sad, sad moment indeed.

Do you think we'd give up there, though? Not a chance. Karn asked if we could check out the nearby Kroger and we were all game for that. If you can't get fast food, why not try a supermarket to satisfy your cravings? It was unconventional, but very logical. Besides, we weren't willing to haul ourselves all the way to the Cook Out in Raleigh. 30 seconds later, we checked out this plaza's Kroger. CLOSED! Well isn't that a lovely surprise? We were running out of options fast.........

I made the save, though, by suggesting we check out a Harris Teeter in a plaza only 5 minutes away (Crescent Commons Shopping Center). FINALLY, the wild goose chase came to an end. Harris Teeter was open and the bros got their food in the end.

The story happily ends with all of us eating and talking out in the middle of the parking lot at our cars past 2:00 AM. Good ****

THE END
Good Story, Bro

I actually liked jon?'s idea of seeding. To take it further take the past five tourneys. Take your placing in singles and that becomes a point. If yo got 1st, 1 poin for you. Second, 2 points, 10th, 10 points. Person with the least points is the highest seed and vice versa. Pit people like that

Pit people by throwing chicken bones in the fire

pit people by random drawings

pit people by random drawings while throwing chicken bones in the fire

Lets just mix this **** up. If you're gonna host a tourney, do whatever the hell you want with it. If you want a random seeded, all stages on, all items on tourney, then **** it go make and set it up. Go break a leg, have fun, win some money, and become a bro. I want to be a bro, rather then a sour troll who's all sad that my bridge is gone. And if the PR people dislike this, then the panel can decide that it won't affect the PR's in any way. Now lets go have fun.

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
I'm Still fly, and i dare anybody to try and cut my wings, im still shuttin cities down, everytime i come around, ***** im still doin my thing, i'm still fly.

- Drizzy Drake

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
lol I guess I take the brackets / placings less seriously than most even though i love smash.. didn't think people were gonna jump on me for that one :)

the brackets don't even matter to me, any way is fine really ha. i wasn't trying to change anyone's mind bc i don't care about them... I was just saying that one of the principles behind many tournaments is randomly placed seeding.. the fact that brackets will be favorable to some and not to others adds a different level of entertainment for me, in sports as well.(****ty seeded college basketball = awesome to me.. even though they actually try to seed them) Any kind of national fps tournament or league i've ever been in was random seeding as well, so maybe it's just what I'm used to. I understand why to seed though, it matches up the appropriate seeds in both the wb and lb and will obviously give more accurate results. It doesn't mean random is bad. Either way I would tell people who complain to suck it.

Jon?

Smash Champion
I'm good for whatever type of brackets. As long as I don't have to play Gauvn LOLOL. My record is 0-3 in tournaments but 2-0 in teams LOLOL.

*By the way: Keith should get an infraction for being offtopic! Pwnd.

Top Bottom