• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

First Flight of The Ostrich a Raleigh, NC tournament 5/30

OmniOstrich

Smash Lord

Brawl+ Rules:
* Items off.
* Ties are broken by remaining lives, then %. If both criteria are tied, then the Sudden Death match will be played out.
* Double Blind character pick can be called at anytime before the first game of a set starts, and only apply to the first game.
* Controller Mods, Glitches, and tactics used to stall a match (wall-bombing, rising pound), are banned
* For doubles: Team Attack will be ON, life stealing allowed.

Stage Picks:
* The First stage will be selected using stage striking
* The loser of the first match will announce a new stage to play on for the next game. The winner will then be allowed to switch characters, followed by the loser. Apply the same logic for the third match (and fourth/fifth when applicable) if there is one. (Advanced Slob Picks)
* No stage may be used twice in a single set if the counter-picking player has already won on that stage, unless the opponent agrees to use the stage again. (Dave's Stupid Rule)
* Each person (or team) may choose one stage to be disabled for the entire set AFTER THE FIRST MATCH HAS BEEN PLAYED, after characters have been chosen but before the random stage has been picked.

Neutral:
Final Destination
Battlefield
Smashville
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Luigi's Mansion (Deadlands)
Warioware (Frozen)
Pokemon Stadium 2 (Frozen)

Couterpicks:
Lylat Cruise
Brinstar
Delfino
Castle Siege
Halberd
Pokemon Stadium 1
Frigate Orpheon

Banned:
everything else

1 Stage ban per person
4 Stocks
8 Minute Time Limit
---------------------------------------------

In the future if there is enough interest I will run Melee tournaments instead of Brawl+ but as of right now I will balance out Foxy by running a tournament with Brawl but no Melee. I am not opposed to having a Melee setup for friendlies, as long as it doesn't hold anything up.

---------------------------------------------

PLEASE BRING SETUPS

will edit later for better layout and additional details

BEHR

Smash Hero
Make this next week. :3

and I'll go if charlie goes.

Jon?

Smash Champion
I'm also not a big fan of Yoshi's Island and Lylat Cruise as neutrals. They just aren't friendly for every character.

Shady Penguin

Smash Lord
I'm not sure about Yoshi's Island, but I agree with Lylat not being neutral.

As a Snake player, Lylat is very helpful for me. Practically invisible mines and a very low ceiling bode Snake well. Then there's a matter of the stage tilting and occasionally ridiculous edges.

I'd be fine with Japes and Picto as CPs, but Rainbow Cruise is just too ridiculous. With how gimmicky that stage is, it's a wonder how it's allowed in any tournament.

Foxxy

Smash Cadet
no melee is odd and a bit annoying, but

Flightless Birt said:
In the future if there is enough interest I will run Melee tournaments instead of Brawl+ but as of right now I will balance out Foxy by running a tournament with Brawl but no Melee. I am not opposed to having a Melee setup for friendlies, as long as it doesn't hold anything up.
i understand what you're doing. however, i would encourage you not to replace brawl+ with melee... brawl+ amazingly should get slightly more attendance and can always use the exposure (especially after BTL was a success). with myself and rawfuls running periodic tournaments with brawl+ events, i think this should round it out quite nicely.

i'll definitely be here for brawl+ and depending on how i'm feeling about the state of that game, i'll either stay for brawl+ friendlies/mm's or melee friendlies/mm's.

anyways, good **** for stepping up and bringing out another raleigh tourney! i'll make sure to let my brawl+ enthusiast friends know about this.

this also means that the next 3 weekends are smash-related.

GOOOOOOOOOOD SH!IIIIIIT NC!

BEHR

Smash Hero
That idea sounds pretty appealing. Think Friday could work out? I'm gonna be in Tennessee starting Monday, and my ride says he won't want to do any driving this weekend.
What time on Friday?

OmniOstrich

Smash Lord
What time do you plan to start this? I prefer around noon for Brawl.
Its in the OP.

I'm also not a big fan of Yoshi's Island and Lylat Cruise as neutrals. They just aren't friendly for every character.
That is why we are doing stage striking.

I'm interested in this.

But I feel the stage list is too conservative. Japes, Cruise, and maybe even Pictochat should be legal cps.
This list isn't around for always. If it seems like characters that 'dominate' the conservative/neutral stages (projectile spammers, CG characters, and diddy/snake) are winning a lot then I will change it in the future, but after seeing similar stage lists from other tournaments I feel like we should try it out. (Honestly I'm fine with cruise, but 9/10 that stage is being played because an MK is present.)

I'm not sure about Yoshi's Island, but I agree with Lylat not being neutral.

As a Snake player, Lylat is very helpful for me. Practically invisible mines and a very low ceiling bode Snake well. Then there's a matter of the stage tilting and occasionally ridiculous edges.

I'd be fine with Japes and Picto as CPs, but Rainbow Cruise is just too ridiculous. With how gimmicky that stage is, it's a wonder how it's allowed in any tournament.
Stage striking will solve your neutral stage problems. If you think Cruise is worse than japes you're insane.

no melee is odd and a bit annoying, but

i understand what you're doing. however, i would encourage you not to replace brawl+ with melee... brawl+ amazingly should get slightly more attendance and can always use the exposure (especially after BTL was a success). with myself and rawfuls running periodic tournaments with brawl+ events, i think this should round it out quite nicely.

i'll definitely be here for brawl+ and depending on how i'm feeling about the state of that game, i'll either stay for brawl+ friendlies/mm's or melee friendlies/mm's.

anyways, good **** for stepping up and bringing out another raleigh tourney! i'll make sure to let my brawl+ enthusiast friends know about this.

this also means that the next 3 weekends are smash-related.

GOOOOOOOOOOD SH!IIIIIIT NC!
I was not expecting this from you. If I do run melee in the future I may consider running melee singles and brawl+ singles only, but again its all based on interest.

Foxxy

Smash Cadet
I think that is a great idea - usually these local tournaments get pretty low attendance for both those games and doubles sits at somewhere from 4-6 teams. Doubles is always kind of an afterthought.

Melee and Brawl+ singles would be awesome.

OmniOstrich

Smash Lord
I think that is a great idea - usually these local tournaments get pretty low attendance for both those games and doubles sits at somewhere from 4-6 teams. Doubles is always kind of an afterthought.

Melee and Brawl+ singles would be awesome.
Yeah, as much as I personally greatly enjoy doubles it seems like most people prefer singles.

Foxxy

Smash Cadet
We actually usually enjoy the doubles but it's just not enough entrants. You only get a few matches max out of it, even with round robin, and it usually just pays out entrance fee to 2nd place and the rest to 1st.

Just a whole lot of disappointment.

Foxxy

Smash Cadet
Last time I had a tournament I posted the thread 2 or 3 days prior. xP

I think Omni's timing was fine.

Argyris

Smash Journeyman
What time on Friday?
Anytime after noon works for me.

This list isn't around for always. If it seems like characters that 'dominate' the conservative/neutral stages (projectile spammers, CG characters, and diddy/snake) are winning a lot then I will change it in the future, but after seeing similar stage lists from other tournaments I feel like we should try it out. (Honestly I'm fine with cruise, but 9/10 that stage is being played because an MK is present.)

Stage striking will solve your neutral stage problems. If you think Cruise is worse than japes you're insane.
Actually, it's at worst 8/10 used by MK. Kirby uses Rainbow Cruise a lot, too. Normally, I'd support it all the way (lol Kirby bias) and believe it represents the point of counterpicking pretty well, but MK's dominance on it has had me wondering lately.

Japes is definitely much worse than Rainbow Cruise.

Pictochat seems like a legit counterpick to me, but for the conservative theme of the stage list, I'd say it's best left off. It's probably not gonna be used anyways, since I can't think of any character that can take advantage of the stage other than Kirby. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Jon?

Smash Champion
Wow omni please try to post the topic a little sooner next time. It's now too late for me to ask off of work.
Man, that sucks. You can't ask anyone at work to cover for you?

Friday is good for me as long as it starts after 2pm. I have Summer classes til 1pm.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Shady, myself, and a couple other people from the area had a small smashfest at his place. If we knew you lived in the area, we would have given you a shout.
Over the summer (an probably part of next school year) I'm at my folks' home near 55 and High House. Keep me in the loop in the future, bro. I'm probably not going to be around much after June 7th, but I should be free most days between now and then.

Top Bottom