• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fire Emblem: The Discussion Thread (keep FE Fates story under spoilertags)

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Dread Fighter is so broken in-game. It made everything pretty easy on hard mode :/ by the way, do people put any kind of limitations on anything in head ,to-head battles? I've never played one before.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Finally finished Awakening, put about 70ish hours in.

It was pretty awesome, and I kind of want to play it again, but I have so many games backlogged right now, I'll move onto something else. That being said, I can't wait to play this game again.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Dread Fighter is pretty awesome. Even though, maybe it's just the way everything just kind of came out, my only dread fighter is still worse off than Tiki.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I don't see how dread fighters make things easier... its basically a hero class that has inferior skills and can use magic.

Reizilla

The higher resistance though. And Henry with Bolt Axe without the drop in magic from other axe classes.

PIKA321

Smash Apprentice
What is the best Fire Emblem for someone who has never played Fire Emblem but really wants to.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Awakening, the one on the 3DS, is probably the best starting point right now. Thanks to things like casual mode and all the ways to grind if you really want to.

Path of Radiance, the one on the Gamecube, would be the next best starting point imo.

The Sacred Stones for the GBA wouldn't be bad either.

Nothing beats the NES graphics
Awakening, the one on the 3DS, is probably the best starting point right now. Thanks to things like casual mode and all the ways to grind if you really want to.
Start off with Fire Emblem: Gaiden
Nothing beats those old NES graphics :p

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
path of radiance is very slow though :x and the combat animations are the worst of the series

*runs up to foe then stops to take a breath* "i slap you with my sword"

"Well i counter attack with a poke with my lance"

Although i will say crits are pretty nice being able to just go through the opponent like they were nothing.

TBH animations in awakening could be better too, but its more of a mix of flashiness and realism. The flashiest crits go to the mercenary/hero class who do their trademark multiple flips in the air sword slam. With an axe though they won't do the flips :(

Swordmasters decided to play the tales series and do light spear as their crit.

thieves and assassins spin to win, using a sword.

Lance users decided to go back to their roots and twirl dat lance before stabbing people.

Axes are the most boring melee crits ever. Just a jumping slam that if the unit can jump (ie generals don't jump)

bows are the dumbest crits ever. Its a "focus a little bit longer". Where is the pointless spin the arrow before shooting? In skills, joy. Snipers and bow knights don't get skills for that though.. lol actually warriors don't either. Only assassins. I'll go ahead and say brides don't get one either. Assassin only bow class that can spin their arrow naturally.

No comment on horse units.

If you have not turned off the animations for battles yet, then you have not been playing FE long enough.

I do like how Mercs in FE7 just tilt there heads to avoid attacks lol

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Nothing beats the NES graphics
Start off with Fire Emblem: Gaiden
Nothing beats those old NES graphics :p

And here I thought the Inigo paralogue was an original map. :O

I like the voice acting that went along with the criticals. It gave the characters more chances to stand out. And hearing "Looks like Teach just got tenure!" is hysterical to me.

That said, nothing beats the Radiant Dawn sage criticals and Corona activations in awesome appearances to me.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
I liked the voice acting in battle.

What I can't stand is the "story voices" where they say one or two words when dialogue pops up. Often times it doesn't fit and it can draw away from the implied tone of the conversation. So naturally I turned it off and everything was better. :)

telemaster

Chime and Twang
NNID
telemaster
the barracks conversations coulda been much better than the random pairings and repetitive one liners

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I hate barracks. Miss the actually interactions that happened like in PoR and RD.

I keep battle animations on for the voice acting during battles really. Although i find very sadastic that all the females giggle sometimes after killing a foe... Like really? You just killed someone...

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
With Henry, Tharja and Noire its in their character to laugh at death. I wouldn't put it past Gregor either or Vaike with it just being a taunting laugh.

But a giggle does not belong on the battlefield. This is war! Not a pillow fight with swords

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Which is better Path of Radiance or Radiant Dawn?
Why are you asking? If you're asking to see which game you should play you should play PoR first seeing as RD is a sequel.

If you're just asking for an opinion you'll have to give me a week or so to maul it over. :p
I've been trying to rank my favorite fire emblem games for quite some time now but with no success...

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I like PoR more.

RD's story has some issues and they way it is split up with different armies and how it affects character availability is really annoying. Though I do like how you can remove a skill and give it to someone else. RD is also harder, which is a plus.

Edit: yeah, you should probably just play them in order since RD is a sequel to PoR.

Senliten

Smash Lord
In the back room, sleeping with the waifu
NNID
Senliten
Nowi is one of the biggest offenders in that case.

"That was fun!"
More worse when she says "Nowi wins!" like this is some game to her XD, well could be kinda fourth wall breaking, if one thinks hard bout it like that

With Henry, Tharja and Noire its in their character to laugh at death. I wouldn't put it past Gregor either or Vaike with it just being a taunting laugh.

But a giggle does not belong on the battlefield. This is war! Not a pillow fight with swords
How bout pillows with pointy objects in them? :3

majora_787

Smash Hero
I haven't had my sound up for most of the time I've been playing actually. The side effects of playing in places with people.

Honestly, Radiant Dawn made me have a sad or twelve. It was nice to start Awakening and have literally every mission be "kill the boss or eradicate the enemy", with some twists for getting a couple of specific characters.

Reizilla

It's all okay because at least they're not Henry.
Are you hating on one of the greatest characters of all time?
Im saying that it's okay for them to be sadistic because Henry makes them look normal.

I like being able to get every character, although it would have been nice to see more varied requirements for recruitment or sidequests, like FE 6 and 7.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
It's all okay because at least they're not Henry.

Im saying that it's okay for them to be sadistic because Henry makes them look normal.

I like being able to get every character, although it would have been nice to see more varied requirements for recruitment or sidequests, like FE 6 and 7.
Yeah I noticed there wasn't as much recruiting on the battlefield in this one. Perhaps they're just trying to be realistic with which units you control and how you get them.

But those the lack of hidden characters annoyed me.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I was completely paranoid about that the entire game, but was just surprised when it was basically Gaius and Tharja and that's it. Well I mean, those last two paralogues have recruitable enemies too but that's not exactly the same thing. Because recruiting those enemies is the entire point.

telemaster

Chime and Twang
NNID
telemaster
i enjoyed RD a lot more than PoR. RD had the pool of skills and bonus exp, story, and characters. the lack of mission variety in awakening is its biggest flaw :sadsheep:

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
There are only 3 pre-promotes in the game. And you get no OP character for the final chapter.

This game really did do stuff differently than what we're used too. TBH i think this all comes down to how children were all the units we got late game so they couldn't fit the recruit pre-promotes late game when we have so many children characters we could be getting. This is also why enemy recruitment were low too. Oh and Yarne can be an enemy unit too. (2 out of the 3 choices)

When it comes to skills, radiant dawn has a glaring OP mastery flaw.. That and nihil.

PoR is more like the other games in the series. RD is completely different from how the other games usually operate. I see story as low priority decision. You read it once, move on. I keep playing FE for the gameplay, not to reread the story for the 11th time through.

I liked RD for its variety of differences from the main stream series. Having it split into separate arms is actually quiet fun despite the fact you literally cannot have much variety in who you use over the course of the game. Unless you are playing normal or easy, then you are pretty much going to be forced to use Nolan, Edward/Zihark, Jill, everytime. Character selection is really the only weakness of RD. Oh, and Tormunds only use is to give me Celerity lol

Its amazing how Nihil was such a pointless skill in PoR, but as soon as you add in OHKO on like all imporant bosses, then Nihil becomes super important. I wish I had a RD disc that could read the easy mode on PoR. My recent playthrough I realized that its sort of hard to get a full 10 people to lv20/20. The best I could get was Jill, Mist, Elincia, Ike, Gatrie, Marcia, and Soren on normal. Even then, I had to really boss abuse to get Mist/Elincia up there with staff usage.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Sumia suxors, like she has no offensive ability whatsoever. She's a ferry unit until you get a griffon rider.

though to be honest, Sumia would be an ok unit had Cordelia not been so ridiculous. Like the offensive AND defensive difference is so staggering that Sumia's speed advantage is null when Cordelia is still fast enough to double enemies.

Top Bottom