• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fire Emblem: The Discussion Thread (keep FE Fates story under spoilertags)

EmblemPrincess

Smash Apprentice
^Perhaps no one in this thread but you two have played those games.

I hear you, Brettster. I once lost Lucia to a critical hit and she was full health. >_<

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
Actually, I have played FE4. It was quite enjoyable. The dialogue was better than that of FE 7-11, the characters had personality that was long missing, some of the mechanics (like their forts) were just brilliant, and it was just a great game overall. My problem with it was probably the huge length of individual levels- it's hard to not spend 2-4 hours on a single level.

Sigurd was definitely my favorite all-time Lord. He wasn't the cliche that Eliwood was, he was stronger than Marth and every bit the man that Ike and Hector are. Sigurd is quite possibly one of the most unappreciated Lords in the series (mainly do to his Japanese only status), but he was a historical first for FE- the first FE Lord to not fail at combat.

Lex gets my vote for my favorite FE4 character though. He just has so much personality given his few speaking rolls. Quotes like "Finally, a chance to kick ***!" and "You like her, don't you Azel. You little player," just make Lex more than a generic axe cavalier.

kirbywizard

Smash Hero
3DS FC
0989-1847-5768
Actually, I have played FE4. It was quite enjoyable. The dialogue was better than that of FE 7-11, the characters had personality that was long missing, some of the mechanics (like their forts) were just brilliant, and it was just a great game overall. My problem with it was probably the huge length of individual levels- it's hard to not spend 2-4 hours on a single level.

Sigurd was definitely my favorite all-time Lord. He wasn't the cliche that Eliwood was, he was stronger than Marth and every bit the man that Ike and Hector are. Sigurd is quite possibly one of the most unappreciated Lords in the series (mainly do to his Japanese only status), but he was a historical first for FE- the first FE Lord to not fail at combat.

Lex gets my vote for my favorite FE4 character though. He just has so much personality given his few speaking rolls. Quotes like "Finally, a chance to kick ***!" and "You like her, don't you Azel. You little player," just make Lex more than a generic axe cavalier.
I plan at one point in this hot summer to get a certain program that will let me play these fire emblem games that I have missed :(. Like I said earlier I have only gotten the chance to play all fire emblem games that have been out of japan. So I am missing out on half of the fire emblem series.

Mardyke

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for showing me that not only do you not know what you are talking about but that you also have no maturity at all.
wut

I apologise if you're that deeply offended by my deliberately childish take: I was only trying to lighten the mood. I'm just tired of the same FE arguments being taken so seriously. But if it helps, I'll tone it down even if it means this entire nerdwar is going to be boring.

But that I don't know anything at all? You've hardly said anything that marks me as outright stupid, here. You just come across as arrogant by saying that.

Of course you don't use Micaiah as a frontliner... That is common sense. But she simply needs to be babied so much in a group that is full of babies. Every other non-priest/bishop/saint magic user has some form of liveability, whether it be Soren's great defense, Ilyana's built-in Shade (and defenses that are still superior to those of Micaiah). Micaiah simply cannot compete with the other mages in the game, except for Tormod (and we all know what a failure he is). Your dodge rate is probably assuming that she maxed speed, which she probably won't do without abuse, given her horrid speed growth.
Actually, the dodge rate is assuming that she follows average stats, with the room for an additional speedwing at one's preference. Though for the second half of Part I, I consider her a prime candidate for Resolve, which pushes her dodge rate from close-shave territory to very reliable.

And if you want to examine every angle, Micaiah has the best and easiest defensive option of all the magi in the game - Guard with Sothe. This shields here against every attack which can one or two-round her, meaning that she can have free reign over the fight.

Also, Thani is not a powerful spell except vs. armored and mounted units. its Micaiah's usefulness vs. units other than these. It's also worth mentioning that enemy cavalry is a rareity in Micaiah's parts, further reducing her effectiveness (and Armored aren't so terribly common that the rest of your group really needs her help). Due to her lack of doubling ability, she will not be one rounding most enemies, though she will put a nice dent in them.
Yes it is. 8 attack power plus her ginormous magic minus the frail resistance of most enemies in her chapters means that the damage she does is tremendous. It's not an instant-kill, of course, but nor does it have to be. Few units asides from prepromotes can instantly kill on their own in Part I anyway.
The 'nice dent' factors into exactly what I already said - you can use her to soften up an enemy for another unit, or have her finish off a slightly wounded enemy. It's still advantageous.

As for the pacing arguement, you have not said anything viable here. The point was not that I was leveling her too quickly, taking experience from others or that she can't reach that level 20 quickly, but that her usefulness is severely gimped whereas other characters can keep getting more useful. While Nolan and anyone else that you were relying on in Part 1 are Tier 2 already... Micaiah is just a Tier 1 burden. While most of your cast is Tier 3, Micaiah has yet to promote. This is made even worse in the fact that RD, like most games in the series, gets easier as the game progresses. Micaiah will be pathetic for the early game, meh at the middle game, and passable at the endgame (but only thanks to Physic staves and a blessed Purge tome).
Usefulness severely gimped? You didn't understand what I meant by pacing, did you? If she can only cap so much, then you don't have to use her for so much. There are plenty of other units in the Dawn Brigade that could use some training, after all: why not give them the experience? You're pointing out a supposedly mathematical problem that is easily not just averted, but usable to your own favour, by the application of some common sense.

What are you trying to say by calling her a tier 1 burden? She's already powerful at level 20, and is automatically promoted at the end of part I. You're just exaggerating with the claims of uselessness for each stage of the game, with nothing to back them up. So why should I take that seriously?

I don't hate the Dawn Brigade in particular. I hate their early chapters, but that is it. Once they actually get to a later part in the game, the Dawn Brigade has some of the best performing units. Nolan is simply > all other human units. The problem is that they are absolutely terrible at the beginning. Edward dies in 2-3 hits on Normal and doesn't even have a bonus against axes to save him in Hard due to a lack of the Weapon Triangle. This effectively leaves you with only Nolan and Sothe to provide a defense until you get Aran (who comes in on the hardest level of the game), Jill, Zihark, and Tauroneo (the last of whom is rarely available). If Micaiah was the only one who needed constant babying in the group, then that would be relatively fine, but she isn't. Leonardo, Ilyana, Laura, and others all need constant babying and protection (atleast until after the chapter where Aran joins is done)..
You mean from the prologue to 1-4? I don't see the problem. They're a few missions which you have to get through, and while I find difficulties with 1-1, the rest of them simply need patience. Take your time, don't rush it. And Edward's a great attacker if you just level him up, even if he's not a wall in his early levels.

Nnoilalala

Smash Cadet
Oh, annoying critcal story: FE:SD arena near chap.10, was leveling all to 15, I got most of them done, until an enemy got a critical on someone, I don't remember who, I think Abel. That was the most annoying restart I've ever had to endure.

Mardyke

Smash Journeyman
"Okay Jill, we're just going to clear Oliver's mansion and then we'll nearly be at the end of the journey. Just hit this guy, you have a sixty seven percent chance to hit him, and you'll...What, you missed? Darn it, my whole move this turn depended on that! Ah well, at least you're still alive, and nobody can kill you unless he gets a critical or something. I reckon I'll move you behind Ike so we can--"

Cue thrasing of the reset button and a rabid foaming of uhoiwafguhiuqwhiqu HGAWIUGHWEIUG HWAEKLGJHAWEIL GHESAIGHSADJFHAO.

Smash_Gigas

Smash Lord
Reminds me of my friend playing the game. He was on that stage in Path of Radiance where you had to cut your way through town to get to the ship. He made it all the way to the far left-most side of the map, and started North where all those Cavalry units were sitting.

He was moving his whole army like a giant tank, and surrounded the Miniboss (the archer on horseback). He sent Lethe up there to attack, which failed to kill the target. It was the enemies' turn.

Me: "Big mistake. Does that guy have a Laguz Slayer?"
Friend: "Yeah, he does. Which means he's probably gonna kill my Lethe and I'll have to restart AGAIN."
(Lethe is standing right next to the guy with the Laguz Slayer.)

That unit began to move, but went right past Lethe.

Me: "What the heck is he doing?"
Friend: "I don't know..."

He moved through the bulk of my friend's army, and randomly attacked Kieran in the back of the squad.

Friend: "Pft, what an idiot."
Me: "Yeah, this is why you should be playing on Normal, not Ea--"

The enemy raised his Laguz Slayer to the sun, which gleamed majestically, then SKRAH! Killed Kieran in one shot.

Me: "HOLY CRUD, LAGUZ SLAYER SUPPER EFFECTIVE ON BEORCS!"
Friend: "....*Shuts off game*"

Meorksies

Smash Cadet
If we want to combine the critical stories with hit-or-miss stories then, same game, different palythrough. First turn of a map, Oswin has a 99 chance of hitting this enemy Myrmidon and one-shotting it, opening that lane for my other units. Let's do that.

Miss.

Oswin, do you see the problem?

kirbywizard

Smash Hero
3DS FC
0989-1847-5768
Nothing annoys me more then bosses that you have no idea they move and have a high crit chance <_<. I always end up having to restart because the boss moved when I thought he could not and crits one of my unprepared characters <_<

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Nothing annoys me more then bosses that you have no idea they move and have a high crit chance <_<. I always end up having to restart because the boss moved when I thought he could not and crits one of my unprepared characters <_<
Well, if you don't have to reach a certain spot or the boss is not standing over that exact spot for that chapter then you should assume the boss will move.
Not leaving a unit in the range of someone with a high critical would probably help as well. >_>

Better yet, kill the boss before he has a chance to critical your unit. :ohwell:

Mardyke

Smash Journeyman
Imagine how difficult the game would be if the enemy were intelligent. Blocking the easiest roots, shoving allies to get into position, everyone moving at will, etc. It'd take a truly smart player to beat all that.

...Anyone got a hack for it? :D

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
People should start playing hard mode in FE.
Depends on the game. If it's PoR, gladly. If it's RD... not a chance. Everyone should just play the way that is fun to them.

i have and it really isnt that more difficult just stronger enemies
Well... that and more enemies, rearranged enemies, frequent enemy re-enforcements, lowered battle experience, and the occassional toughened objective (ex. turn limit for 1-1 of RD). Naturally, this narrows down the number of units you can use as well as reducing the number of units that are still viable. Would you use Fiona or Astrid in Hard of RD.... not a chance.

Anyone else hate the RNG based level ups? I think a stat up system more like the one in Pokemon would be more adequate, minus the EVs, natures, and other complex factors (in other words, a set level up system).

Smash_Gigas

Smash Lord
Anyone else hate the RNG based level ups? I think a stat up system more like the one in Pokemon would be more adequate, minus the EVs, natures, and other complex factors (in other words, a set level up system).
Only when the Status of your character pops up, and absolutely nothing increases. Especially if that happens two levels in a row. Otherwise, I'm fine with it. I think that something should atleast always increase in your stats, instead of giving you a flop.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
Only when the Status of your character pops up, and absolutely nothing increases. Especially if that happens two levels in a row. Otherwise, I'm fine with it. I think that something should atleast always increase in your stats, instead of giving you a flop.
RD's BExp always giving +3 stat ups was a great system... They need to carry over a minimum required stat gain system based on that to all future FE games (including remakes).

I would extend on this by proposing that 5 (and only 5) stat ups are guaranteed with each level up (assuming there are atleast 5 uncapped stats) and these stat ups would be influenced by a character's growth rates, making it a hybrid of set level ups with the traditional RNG.

kirbywizard

Smash Hero
3DS FC
0989-1847-5768
RD's BExp always giving +3 stat ups was a great system... They need to carry over a minimum required stat gain system based on that to all future FE games (including remakes).

I would extend on this by proposing that 5 (and only 5) stat ups are guaranteed with each level up (assuming there are atleast 5 uncapped stats) and these stat ups would be influenced by a character's growth rates, making it a hybrid of set level ups with the traditional RNG.
I have to agree I really did like Rd's BExp, I felt like it was a safety built that I wouldn't get screwd in RNG.

I assume that your 5 stat proposal only goes towards Bexp.

Bexp was the only reason my Meg did not suck :D

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
I have to agree I really did like Rd's BExp, I felt like it was a safety built that I wouldn't get screwd in RNG.

I assume that your 5 stat proposal only goes towards Bexp.

Bexp was the only reason my Meg did not suck :D
Nope, I was referring to all sources of experience. Why should battle experience not be treated in such a way? In the end, this system would serve to make the majority of players benefit from higher stated characters. The only ones who would, arguably, suffer are those with really really good luck when it comes to level ups.

Personally, I would like to see luck based elements such as dodging and criticalling removed completely. Why, in a strategy game, should a player be blessed or ruined by a luck based system? Wouldn't a more logical, and strategical, method be to buff up the player's ability to use forms of active defense such as healing (make Priests/Bishops/Saints not be outperformed by Sages in almost every way, for example), defense, resistance, hp, etc. Put more choke points. Replace the dodge bonus of forests/forts/etc. with an extra buff to defenses.

Another nice implementation would be more formations. The triangle formation already paved the way for more advanced formations such as barrages (let's make archers finally useful), shield lines, etc.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Nope, I was referring to all sources of experience. Why should battle experience not be treated in such a way? In the end, this system would serve to make the majority of players benefit from higher stated characters. The only ones who would, arguably, suffer are those with really really good luck when it comes to level ups.

Personally, I would like to see luck based elements such as dodging and criticalling removed completely. Why, in a strategy game, should a player be blessed or ruined by a luck based system? Wouldn't a more logical, and strategical, method be to buff up the player's ability to use forms of active defense such as healing (make Priests/Bishops/Saints not be outperformed by Sages in almost every way, for example), defense, resistance, hp, etc. Put more choke points. Replace the dodge bonus of forests/forts/etc. with an extra buff to defenses.

Another nice implementation would be more formations. The triangle formation already paved the way for more advanced formations such as barrages (let's make archers finally useful), shield lines, etc.
If dodging was removed entirely, then only units with high defense/good speed would be useable (in other words, the already great units will still be great and units relying on dodging which are generally high/upper mid in my experience, would be screwed).

The only two reasons why I would like the automatic 5 point increase per combat level up is because one, in the highly likely event that Nintendo keeps in the save point system for all future FE's, it would cut down on the number of resets made by the player when they get screwed, and secondly, it would help to balance all units.

I did have an idea for a system that RD could have implemented to remove part of the luck factor though. You equip skills as usual (though shove would be removed) and when you enter a battle scene, depending on your timing, you can activate one of your battle skills at will; i.e. Vantage when you and your opponent are "posing" before battle, Adept when you are running towards your opponent, counter immediately after you are hit, and others. To balance this out, doing this uses up one point of a six use item held in your inventory.

I do hope that they implement a better skill system in the new FE universe; RD almost had it perfect except for the free mastery at third tier and shove being an unremovable skill: FE4's and FE5's acquiring of skills through weapons, FE9's mastery skill system, and FE10's ability to freely remove skills as well as units coming with innate no-capacity skills. Skills simply add another appreciated level of unit uniqueness and capability.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Luck doesn't ruin the strategy of the game. A major part of the strategy is knowing that things can go wrong, have backup plans. There are ways to attack where you will not be screwed over by a dodge or a critical.

This would also causes some really bad balance issues that need to be worked out. Fire Emblem is built around risk and reward, and removing such a major risk would take changes that would turn FE into a completely different game.
For example, Swordmasters no longer have their nice critical bonus nor do they dodge nearly everything, that with their generally low defense leaves them as crap.
Along with all other classes that generally have crap defense, enjoy never dodging.
And Axe's, very good strength + never miss, weapon balance also gets messed up.

Same with Level up's, I like the RNG system. It allows for uncertainty, removing that in a game where the only thing you can do is play the same exact chapters on a new game will kill replay value.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
If dodging was removed entirely, then only units with high defense/good speed would be useable (in other words, the already great units will still be great and units relying on dodging which are generally high/upper mid in my experience, would be screwed).

The only two reasons why I would like the automatic 5 point increase per combat level up is because one, in the highly likely event that Nintendo keeps in the save point system for all future FE's, it would cut down on the number of resets made by the player when they get screwed, and secondly, it would help to balance all units.

I did have an idea for a system that RD could have implemented to remove part of the luck factor though. You equip skills as usual (though shove would be removed) and when you enter a battle scene, depending on your timing, you can activate one of your battle skills at will; i.e. Vantage when you and your opponent are "posing" before battle, Adept when you are running towards your opponent, counter immediately after you are hit, and others. To balance this out, doing this uses up one point of a six use item held in your inventory.

I do hope that they implement a better skill system in the new FE universe; RD almost had it perfect except for the free mastery at third tier and shove being an unremovable skill: FE4's and FE5's acquiring of skills through weapons, FE9's mastery skill system, and FE10's ability to freely remove skills as well as units coming with innate no-capacity skills. Skills simply add another appreciated level of unit uniqueness and capability.
If dodging was removed entirely, the units would simply be rescaled. Swordmasters would just gain a godly offense and the currently defensive unit types would remain defensive. Perhaps, the speed stat could also affect who attacks first (making Vantage a great skill for slow characters), allowing fast units such as the Swordmaster to occassionally finish weakened foes before they ever even get to attack.

Oh and the free mastery skill in RD was definitely not a mistake. The occult scroll of FE9 was a less meaningful system. Now if the mastery skills could be removed, replaced, and mixmatched, that would certainly create some very interesting scenarios. Shove and Canto being skills and taking up capacity was a big mistake, for sure... tier 1 units other than Micaiah not being able to use Paragon is fail.

Luck doesn't ruin the strategy of the game. A major part of the strategy is knowing that things can go wrong, have backup plans. There are ways to attack where you will not be screwed over by a dodge or a critical.

This would also causes some really bad balance issues that need to be worked out. Fire Emblem is built around risk and reward, and removing such a major risk would take changes that would turn FE into a completely different game.
For example, Swordmasters no longer have their nice critical bonus nor do they dodge nearly everything, that with their generally low defense leaves them as crap.
Along with all other classes that generally have crap defense, enjoy never dodging.
And Axe's, very good strength + never miss, weapon balance also gets messed up.

Same with Level up's, I like the RNG system. It allows for uncertainty, removing that in a game where the only thing you can do is play the same exact chapters on a new game will kill replay value.
Oh but it does. Uncertainty deducts from strategy. You must be able to plan for every possible outcome based on what you can infer. You can't expect a critical hit from a unit with a crit chance of less than 10%. You can't expect to miss with an 95% hit chance.

If Fire Emblem were to be compared to Chess, the grandfather of all strategy games, so to speak, Chess would be a much more strategic game. It is based on outsmarting your opponent. Nothing is hidden. Nothing is uncertain. It is just you and your foe. Now what if the pawns suddenly gained a 50% chance (coin flip) to not be defeated. Suddenly, the strategic game becomes little more than a board game.

I already addressed the "balance issues" in the first person's reply. Of course, the units would need to be rescaled. But a rescale would be perfectly viable.

You are seriously mistaken if you think that removing the RNG based level ups or creating a more stable system such as the one proposed earlier would kill replay value. Uncertainty does not boost replay value, unless you are actually one of those players who likes to grind for hours giving his units the perfect stats. The replay value in Fire Emblem is gained from the player's ability to set the difficulty and choose the units they desire. Would the game be very replayable if you only played in Easy and only used the very best units (such as Nolan, Boyd, Ike, Soren, etc.) in every playthrough? Nope... for the sake of an increased challenge or simply to mix things up, you might give Leonardo a chance and all but bench Shinon, for example. Even the playstyle of a player can effect replayability. "Oh, I performed this exact move in the last playthrough... let's try something different and see how it works out this time." Get my point?

kirbywizard

Smash Hero
3DS FC
0989-1847-5768
Well I just started fire emblem 6, and so far I wished I played this before FE7. It is making me miss some characters like Raven and Canas. I mean wtf I loved Canas in FE7 but it turns out he died in a blizzard. How does dark magic lose to a blizzard <__<.

Also I wouldn't focus on removing anything such as dodging and crtis but more on adding new skills into the game. I mean the skillz in RD and PoR really made good change in Fire EMblem. Also crits are part of any battle, many things can go horribly wrong.

SOmething I would like to see different would be the bishop/saints. Not only do they get stuck with the weakest magic but are at many times out classed by other magic users (druids, sages) I find the blame that one they are stuck healing as a priest and two sages and druids can heal just as good as bishops >_>

I want my Luna back ;__;

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
Well I just started fire emblem 6, and so far I wished I played this before FE7. It is making me miss some characters like Raven and Canas. I mean wtf I loved Canas in FE7 but it turns out he died in a blizzard. How does dark magic lose to a blizzard <__<.

Also I wouldn't focus on removing anything such as dodging and crtis but more on adding new skills into the game. I mean the skillz in RD and PoR really made good change in Fire EMblem. Also crits are part of any battle, many things can go horribly wrong.

SOmething I would like to see different would be the bishop/saints. Not only do they get stuck with the weakest magic but are at many times out classed by other magic users (druids, sages) I find the blame that one they are stuck healing as a priest and two sages and druids can heal just as good as bishops >_>

I want my Luna back ;__;
The only game in which priests were not epic fail was Shadow Dragon. In SD, the healer didn't gain experience at an abysmal rate compared to the rest of the group- quite the opposite, actually. The healers leveled up faster than anyone. Sacred Stones is somewhat notable in that the Bishops did amazing damage against monsters... but most monsters are pathetic in the first place. Not much of a buff.

It is unfortunate that Sages outclass Bishops in basically every possible way. Sages typically grow in magic better, meaning they may actually heal for more. Their magic is a lot stronger, giving them the better attack power. They are faster, more durable, and have better caps. What advantage to the Bishops hold... the ability to heal before tier 2 (or tier 3 in RD), more staff levels due to having to heal, and a typically higher resistance growth... not a whole lot to be proud of.

kr3wman

Smash Master

Go play Shining Force or something.

And then you'll why FE's system is better/makes for a better experience

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
Go play Shining Force or something.

And then you'll why FE's system is better/makes for a better experience
I did play Shining Force. It was quite nice. Guaranteed level ups really helped it out. The game was simply too grind based though. This was not as a result of the level up system but rather the sheer number of levels the units could reach (and had to reach) in order to beat the game (as well as how much experience it took to level up). I also did not appreciate their turn system. FE's turn system + more optional/lower grind + something similar to SF's stat system would really make for a great game.

Of course SF wasn't without luck based elements... on the contrary, it may have contained more luck in the combat system. Enemies that could put you to sleep? Yeah.... pass.

kr3wman

Smash Master
****ing Bats.

If you thought enemy crits/you missing with a 99% chance was frustrating, then don't play SF LOL.

But I played the **** out of the first one tho. The characters are bland as **** but not in an anime-kind of way, so the art design was cool. All the characters I remember are Max and Anri, and I think that's also the only two that had any relevance to the plot... LoLsega.

But FE's system is better in more ways than not, and I agree with most of your post. The turn system is complete bull****.

ANYWAY, I think I want to play some early FE. Like, the ones after Marth, but before Roy? With sigurd and all that? That'd be sweet.

Meorksies

Smash Cadet
To make sure it doesn't go unnoticed, I personally like the basis of this idea. Though some things I think of it are the usage of the skills should depend on the level and rarity of the skill. I'd sooner say skills like Adept and Vantage would be worth more then say Cancel, though that is a very good one imo. Also, even if it's something as good as say Adept, if they made getting it hard/rare enough, it could still be a high-use skill because of that.

And I feel the mastery skills should be treated slightly differently. However people may decide you should get them, when used, a skill-specific sequence affects how effective the skill is. Examples:

Aether: A meter at the top of the screen will fill up, then decrease rapidly if it gets fills completely. Press A when the meter is as close to full as possible. This happenes once for each hit. It affects how much HP Ike recovers and how much DEF is negated for the respective hits.

Astra: After the first hit of the skill a random buton prompt will appear, you have to press the correct button in the time frame to activate the next hit. Each prompt has a shorter time frame. Pressing the wrong button will end the skill, so you can't just hit everything at once.

Sol: Hold the A button to fill a meter on the top of the screen. Release it when the meter is as close to full as possible. If it overfills, it's automatically emptied completely. This affects how much HP is recovered. If the meter is empty, it will be 1 HP.

Stun: The instant the attack hits, press A (likely the same basis of activating skills like Cancel and Corrosion). How much damage and how long the stun lasts depends on your timing of hitting the button.

Deadeye: When the Marksman jumps to catch the arrow and shoot, the camera is quickly changed to first person. You have a very short time to aim your shot. The damage and any alternate effects depend on where you hit your enemy (though sleep may no longer be among the effects). Exaples: Arm = Disarm. Leg = Stun. Weapon = 0 damage but Corrosion.

These are my ideas. I know it's not nearly all of them, but I couldn't think of anything new for the others.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Yellow Stuff.
Well let me start with the chess comparison, you need to keep in mind that Fire Emblem is a Strategy RPG, I can't think of a turn-based RPG without dodging/criticaling no matter how rare it may be ingame. The Advanced Wars series is there for a more chess like game without all the chances of FE.

I don't see how planing for every outcome deducts from strategy. Shouldn't planing more take more strategy than knowing that your current plan will not fail, thus improving the need of strategy? Saying that one can't expect a 10% critical or a 95% hit missing is just poor planing, I've had one of my characters critical five times in a row with only a 5% chance on every one, and 95% isn't 100% because you will end up missing sooner or later. Play with Murphy's law in mind, if it isn't 0% or 100% then expect it to happen.

I like the RNG system because it is imperfect. I like knowing that I can't predict the future, if I get RNG screwed then I'll need to work around it, build a new strategy. If the luck of dodges/criticals is taken out as well as uncertain character growths then a similar working strategy can be used every playthrough.

The Random stats on level up help to separate characters by more than just their classes stat caps, I prefer characters not reaching their caps often. There's always the Red and Green Cavaliers and they always excel in different things, if they always reach the Paladin stat caps then they will become nothing more than the same unit with a different portrait.

Of course that could be fixed somewhat by giving characters individual caps, but I will still like the RNG. I like it because I like Fire Emblem, I enjoy the risks and the rewards, I enjoy the uncertainty, remove the RNG and you remove what I have come to love about the game. The removal of the RNG would completely change the gameplay of the game, and there are better ways to improve Fire Emblem than turning it into a different game altogether.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
So I was playing FE4 for the first time. I'm on Chapter 3 where Eltshan is a boss.... and how is this guy even possible to defeat? I move Sigurd, hands down the most broken Lord other than Ike, into the fort for that 30% dodge rate and healing buff. Eltshan utterly pwns Sigurd... Sigurd has a 50 percent hit rate with a Silver Sword vs. Eltshan's 90 percent (also with a sword). On top of this, Eltshan has more hp, better damage, and everything. Even with Libro, the physic type staff, Eltshan or his many soldiers would simply reach the healer and kill her.

So how do I defeat this guy?

Mardyke

Smash Journeyman
So I was playing FE4 for the first time. I'm on Chapter 3 where Eltshan is a boss.... and how is this guy even possible to defeat? I move Sigurd, hands down the most broken Lord other than Ike, into the fort for that 30% dodge rate and healing buff. Eltshan utterly pwns Sigurd... Sigurd has a 50 percent hit rate with a Silver Sword vs. Eltshan's 90 percent (also with a sword). On top of this, Eltshan has more hp, better damage, and everything. Even with Libro, the physic type staff, Eltshan or his many soldiers would simply reach the healer and kill her.

So how do I defeat this guy?
That depends. What else besides Sigurd do you have to work with? Who amongst your party can survive at least one round against Eltshan?

D13

Smash Ace
Character: Zephiel and his transformation from FE7 to FE6. Second is Zelgius. <3
Game: Sword of Seals. I really loved The Blazing Sword, and Sword of Seals comes right after chronologically, so playing it made me feel all giggly inside. :]
Weapon: The Mani Katti is great. It's got good crit and is effective against like everything. 45 uses is also a bonus.
Class: Easily cavalier. They're versatile, have high movement, and you get to use them very early on. ;)
Map: Nothing's coming to mind right now.

I've played through FE 6-11, and I've enjoyed them all. I've also been playing Advance Wars for a loooong time. Competitively, I might add.

toon_marth

Smash Ace
Character: Definitely OsWIN from 7. Pwns the world of Fire Emblem.
Game: Probably Blazing Sword. It was a close tie with PoR and Sword of Seals.
Weapon: FREAKING DURANDAL FROM 7!!!
Class: Depends solely on the game. If its a GBA title, then General or Cavalier. If it's SD then Fighter and Hero. All others, LORD.
Map: Chapter 27 from FE7. SO FUN.

Hello to all FE fans. ^_^

Meorksies

Smash Cadet
Umm... Toon Marth? Chapter 27 in FE7 changes depending on who's story you go through. Sorry to point out such a trivial detail, but I just want to know which one you're refering to. I am honestly interested to know.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
Favorite
Game: Seisen No Keifu
Character: Lex (Seisen No Keifu)
Class: Mercenary/Hero (It doesn't get more well-rounded than this).
Weapon: Holsety (This ultimate wind tome gives Levin +15 skill and +20 speed while having 50 uses, being repairable for a cost of 1000 gold per use, having 90 accuracy, and 30 MT.... HOLY ****!!!)
Map: The second to last map of Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn Part 3, in which the Dawn Brigade hold's off the Greil Mercs. This stage is simply defensive strategy at its finest and most entertaining.

Least Favorite
Game: Sacred Stones
Character: Senator Valtome (ugh.... Michael Jackson in FE)
Class: Pegasus/Falco Knight (The usually just do not strike me as being useful. Tanith from FE9 and FE10 is an exception).
Weapon: Baselard (The more available Peshkatz is simply much more useful, IMO).
Map: Part 1- Chapter 3 of Radiant Dawn.

Top Bottom