• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fire Emblem: The Discussion Thread (keep FE Fates story under spoilertags)

§leepy God

Smash Master
To get this topic going more, anyone would list the best FE main characters in terms of usefulness to the worst. It's very hard to do because you have to know all the Fire Emblem games to do so.

Nnoilalala

Smash Cadet

What characters had stories that you particularly loved, whether you just found them interesting, entertaining, sad, moving, or whatever?
I'm gonna say Tibarn. I didn't play long enough in any game to fully know anyone's story, but he is the one I'm most interested in finding out about.

Oh, and stefan :o

Also Makalov. I...like his hair.. and droopy eyes.

kirbywizard

Smash Hero
3DS FC
0989-1847-5768
Worst=Tormod in Radiant Dawn. You hardly ever get to use him throughout the entire game. He only sucks up exp points away from your team. Not to mention when you do get him he can get doubled by a meteor ( it happened to em twice >_>). His stat growth does not make up for how late he comes back. His skill can jut be removed and given to a heron >_>.

Best: Any Heron (except Lennea), Dancer, or Bard. Allowing your units to move twice makes them fantastic.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
Beg to differ.

Worst: Rickard.

Best: Pent Lvl 20 Sage.
Pent doesn't come equipped with a 30 MT, 90 Acc, wind tome that grants +10 skill and +20 speed that can be easily repaired with money. Arthur comes with this from the first level of Seisen No Keifu's 2nd book (in other words as soon as you get him) if Levin is his father.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Tormod is not the worst unit in Radiant Dawn. He's by no means good, but he can at least provide some support in Part I. Some units, like Lyre and Fiona, not only start of with useless stats, but are nigh impossible to raise to the point where they won't completely hinder your progress.

:005:

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
I agree with the above post. Fiona, however, is atleast able to grow into a decent or even good unit eventually (albeit it takes a long time to do so). The fact that she has 2 useful skills and an earth affinity built-in helps her a bit. Lyre on the other hand.... a pretty face is all she has, and her sister definitely beats her there.

D

Deleted member

I don't know if it's just me getting bad luck, but Sothe in RD has always been terrible in my games.

I dunno about best. A few characters are at the top of my list.

kirbywizard

Smash Hero
3DS FC
0989-1847-5768
Fiona is good.... if you baby her, which is not really worth it since there are other units that top her.
trust me she is not good >_>. That strenght growth is not working out and she will cap speed and luck and maybe nothing else by the time she reaches 20/20/20. The only use she has is to save random misplaced units from enemy reinforcements

soth: He is below average >_>

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
If you're going to baby somebody from the Dawn Brigade, you might as well use the EXP on somebody who will have good stats later on. A lot of units start underleveled in Part I, but some of them are easier to train and turn out better overall. Edward has great stats overall by endgame if you use him, but I couldn't use him in Hard Mode. He couldn't even double attack enemies by Chapter 2. -_- Aran can also be a beast if you use BEXP properly.

Sothe's late promotion time and low strength/defense caps really hurt him. He's practically invincible early on with the data transfer though.

Anyway, in RD, I just remembered how good Haar is, and I think I can safely say he's been my most effective unit in that game. Really good stats, fantastic mobility, and he even comes in relatively early and overleveled, so bringing him up to speed is not an issue. It doesn't hurt that Wyverns aren't vulnerable to bows in this game. ^.^

shogun.

Smash Rookie
lyre is obviously the worst character in radiant dawn.

sothe is just a stereotypical jeigan. starts off good but declines as the game goes on.

toon_marth

Smash Ace
Pent doesn't come equipped with a 30 MT, 90 Acc, wind tome that grants +10 skill and +20 speed that can be easily repaired with money. Arthur comes with this from the first level of Seisen No Keifu's 2nd book (in other words as soon as you get him) if Levin is his father.
The best part about characters is to make them good. It's boring if they start out godly. The thing I really loved about Pent was that he was a walking crap pile unless you took risks and built him up to be a good character. It's the feeling of satisfaction you get knowing you made that character what he his that makes him good. Not to mention, I beat the game with Pent. :laugh: I also beat the final chapter of PoR with Ike only...wait...I think you had to bring someone else in.... I forget. Oh well. Anyway, I've made my point.

kirbywizard

Smash Hero
3DS FC
0989-1847-5768
Well right now I am currently arena abusing in FE6 at chapter 7. So far I am only abusing Suh >_>, I would use Wolt but I like nomads so much more then archers. That hero crest is making me want to arena abuse my Gerik or myrmidon.

squirtleuser007

Smash Apprentice
i liked the story in SS. but then again, im easily pleased. i kinda liked shadow dragon; my friend started a fight with me because i played SD. then he like, made fun of me because i let people die (useless btw), and he like, started a swear war with me. i was like, wtf? oh, and what's the point of support convos?

toon_marth

Smash Ace
i liked the story in SS. but then again, im easily pleased. i kinda liked shadow dragon; my friend started a fight with me because i played SD. then he like, made fun of me because i let people die (useless btw), and he like, started a swear war with me. i was like, wtf? oh, and what's the point of support convos?
They just let you see into the relationships between characters, making them actually feel like people, instead of lifeless bricks who fight.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Supports always give bonuses to the two units participating. They just dumbed down the conversations in Radiant Dawn for the sake of allowing any support combination you want, and completely removed them from Shadow Dragon. >_> Supports are easier to use in Radiant Dawn, and it's really easy to come up with really awesome support combinations, but in the other games, units can be better or worse depending on how useful their available supports are. It also makes characters much less boring, since they actually have conversation beyond the moment you recruit them.

I'm playing through Hector's Hard mode in FE7 right now, and Pent is really useful, but not for the reasons mentioned. Quite the opposite actually; he starts out very strong, and remains a solid magic user as the game progresses. His growth retes aren't great, but his base stats are good enough that he'll do just fine, and his weapon levels are just icing on the cake. =]

Emperor Time

Smash Lord
oh, okay. cuz in RD, they actually did something...
Yeah, but they didn't MEAN anything.

Basic RD support

Char1:Hi
Char2:Hey
Char1:Don't die
Char2:Yeah. Same to you
Char1:Kthnxbai

FE7 Support

MARCUS: Lord Eliwood...
ELIWOOD: Marcus?
MARCUS: I have been watching your progress on your journey...
ELIWOOD:What is it? There's no need for formalities with me.
MARCUS:Ah, it's just, I was thinking how much you've grown... Even on this
journey, seeing you going off to battle, brave and strong. You have
much of your father's presence.
ELIWOOD:You think so?
MARCUS:I do. Mine eyes fill with tears of joy, truly...
ELIWOOD:There you go with the poetry again, Marcus. ...That reminds me of
something my father once spoke of. Marcus, you went into battle by
my father when he was young?
MARCUS:Indeed. I was just a page at the time. But under Lord Elbert's
command I swung my spear as best as I could.
ELIWOOD:And you fight by my side on this, my journey, as well.
MARCUS:I made a promise to Lord Elbert. I swore to protect the lord Eliwood
until his return. Knights of Pherae always carry out their orders,
you see.
ELIWOOD:And Pherae owes its very existence to you, Marcus. Thank you.
MARCUS:Thanks are wasted on me. I merely do my duty.

:ohwell:

D13

Smash Ace
Whenever I pick up Shadow Dragon, I feel like I'm playing Advance Wars: Days of Ruin with some horses and guys with swords. There need to be more GBA fire emblems.

On the topic of supports, FE8 Dozla has awesome ones. God I love his character.

kirbywizard

Smash Hero
3DS FC
0989-1847-5768
i don't recall gerik being in FE6
Darn what was that mercenary's name >_>. Oh sorry guys it was Dieck not Gerik. My bad >_>, and so far it is my first play through so don't want to arena buse with anyone, jut the people that seem to be falling behind. Also what do you guys think of Wolt, I only want one Bow user and I can't decide to keep Wolt or Sue.

SyOn

Smash Journeyman
Well, Snipers sucks so go with Sue. Atleast she gets Swords after promotion.

It all depends on what route you want to take.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
Yeah, Sacred Stones was a pretty lame game, but so was Shadow Dragon. Shadow Dragon is atleast excusable since it was just a remake of the first in series. Supports were never removed from SD, as they were never a part of the original to begin with. This doesn't stop Sacred Stones from being the better of the two (slightly), IMO, as Shadow Dragon had nearly 0 characterization, a lack of level variety, and an absolutely hideous level of character imbalance that is even worse than the imbalance in Radiant Dawn.

There were some things I liked about each though.

Sacred Stones:
Ephraim (Spear Lord? YES!)
Gerik (coolest hero ever)
Cormag (what isn't awesome about Cormag?)
Trainees were a great idea.
Summoners were fun to use.

Shadow Dragon:
Catria (Beautiful and an incredibly beastly fighter.)
Frey (One of my favorite cavaliers.)
Camus (Probably one of the coolest looking characters ever, at least in his Offical Artwork.)
Playable Ballistas.

All in all, neither game really held my interest for long, as they both lacked compelling stories and anything resembling replayability (well, Sacred Stones's alternate path made it replayable 1 time.)

And lol..... my brother ragequit Sacred Stones on Easy! XD

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Yeah, but they didn't MEAN anything.

Basic RD support

Char1:Hi
Char2:Hey
Char1:Don't die
Char2:Yeah. Same to you
Char1:Kthnxbai

FE7 Support

MARCUS: Lord Eliwood...
ELIWOOD: Marcus?
MARCUS: I have been watching your progress on your journey...
ELIWOOD:What is it? There's no need for formalities with me.
MARCUS:Ah, it's just, I was thinking how much you've grown... Even on this
journey, seeing you going off to battle, brave and strong. You have
much of your father's presence.
ELIWOOD:You think so?
MARCUS:I do. Mine eyes fill with tears of joy, truly...
ELIWOOD:There you go with the poetry again, Marcus. ...That reminds me of
something my father once spoke of. Marcus, you went into battle by
my father when he was young?
MARCUS:Indeed. I was just a page at the time. But under Lord Elbert's
command I swung my spear as best as I could.
ELIWOOD:And you fight by my side on this, my journey, as well.
MARCUS:I made a promise to Lord Elbert. I swore to protect the lord Eliwood
until his return. Knights of Pherae always carry out their orders,
you see.
ELIWOOD:And Pherae owes its very existence to you, Marcus. Thank you.
MARCUS:Thanks are wasted on me. I merely do my duty.

:ohwell:
Honestly, Radiant Dawn wouldn't have gotten far with a characterization support system. Pretty much all characters who weren't around in 3-2 or part of the dawn Brigade/Aran/Laura probably wouldn't have had enough time to build a support, let alone be with a consistent support partner until part 4 Endgame given the game's availability/chapter system. It would have done much better with characters if they utilized its info conversations to a *noticably* greater extent.

Part 1 failed epically in this regard since every convo involved Micaiah except for two (the one with Zihark and Meg and the one with Nolan, Eddie, and Leonardo) when this was the part that needed the most development, character wise. Every other part was actually pretty generous with giving a lot (not all mind you, but a lot) of the characters enough dialouge that you can at least tell what their basic personalities are.

Though only Soren, Rolf, and Dheginsea and Lehran (4-E-4 second playthrough convo) actually got part of their past revealed through the info convos (I really do not know if/how much FE fans value back story over personality because I personally care about personality much more than back story), I would not consider anyone (except for Vika, Fiona, and Aran) lifeless bricks (in reference to Toon_Marth).

Though, whether through info or support, I would still like more dialouge for lesser characters in a Fire Emblem game though.

kirbywizard

Smash Hero
3DS FC
0989-1847-5768
Hey guys I have run into a problem in FE6. I am chapter 8 right now and in chapter 7 I was arena abusing Suh and she is close to level 20 already but only has 7 strength. While my Wolt has 6 strength and is only 5 levels behind. Do you think I should just dump Suh and pick up Wolt.

shogun.

Smash Rookie
both sue and wolt suck. both of them are some of the worst characters in the game.

if you are ever in need of a bow user, shin is the way to go.

Top Bottom