• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fire Emblem: The Discussion Thread (keep FE Fates story under spoilertags)

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I feel bad for those that aren't aware of Jeigan type characters when they're new to the series XD
Isn't the Ogma archetype the one where a unit available early game is amazing at the start and continues to stay amazing throughout?
Pretty much, yeah. Unlike in FE3, in my Shadow Dragon playthrough, I didn't use him too much. lol

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
:[ i used Marcus and never used my lords. My mindset was, "man if they die i get a game over, i'mma not use them!"

Then i couldn't beat the final chapter because Hector would get one shot by bolting on the 2nd door opening or something

Had to restart my first run there siigh. Didn't use Marcus and used Hector, went much better the 2nd time around.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Alright boys and girls, pull up a chair! It's history time!

Note: Though most of this is my own knowledge, I will be supplementing with some notes from the Fire Emblem Wiki section on archetypes. Won't be touching on FE's 2-5 as I am not familiar enough with them!

The Jeigan/Jagen

Two spellings of the same name, these guys are the bane of every new player. They are the old ****s. That's almost always the excuse for why they're bad, is being old or sick.

They're pre-promotes (almost always paladins) given to you at the start of the game. Compared to your other units, they are gods among men, having bases far higher than your unpromoted units. However, they are still usually pretty bad, and have HORRIBLE growths. Using one leads to an underleveled army deprived of EXP, and eventually the game catches up to the Jagen. An inexperienced player may find themselves in a position where their Jagen is one of few passable units, and has a hard time completing the game.

This happened to a lot of people with Marcus in FE7, though he's not technically a REAL Jagen. He just can't do the whole game himself. (Almost all of it, though)

Notable Jagens: Jagen himself (SD), Old Marcus (6)

The Oifey

Introduced in FE4 with Oifey himself, Oifeys are very closely related to Jagens, except they DON'T SUCK. They're Jagens with better growths, so they're not useless lategame.

Notable Oifeys: Marcus (7), Seth (8), Titania (9), Sothe (10), Frederick (Awakening)

The Est

As I mentioned before, characterized by late join times, high growths, and awful bases! Usually turn out to be some of the best units if used.

Notable Ests: Sophia/Zeiss (6), Nino (7), Ewan (8), Elincia (9), Pelleas/Kurth (10)

Cain and Abel

These guys are your cavalier pair that we've had since the dawn of time. Red one usually focuses on Strength, Green on Speed. Sometimes backwards, sometimes not the right colors at all! Usually get em very early, exception being mid-game Kieran.

Cain and Abel pairs: Cain/Abel (SD), Alan/Lance (6), Sain/Kent (7), Kyle/Forde (8), Kieran/Oscar (9/10), Sully/Stahl (Awakening)

The Ogma

9/10 times a Mercenary, Ogma's are characterized by high bases and above average growths, resulting in a very good unit overall.

Notable Ogmas: Ogma (SD), Dieck (6), Raven (7), Gerik (8), Ike (10), Gregor (Awakening)

Bord And Cord

Fighters in pairs! Again with the Strength vs. Speed thing.

Notable Bord/Cord pairs: Bord/Cord (SD), Wade/Lot (6), Dorcas/Bartre (7), Ross/Garcia (8), Boyd/Nolan (10)

The Nabarl/Navarre

Again two spellings. This archetype is the Myrmidon you recruit from the enemy (usually) early in the game. Usually related to the Lena/Julian archetypes via plot.

Notable Nabarls: Nabarl/Navarre (SD), Rutger/Fir (6), Guy (7), Joshua/Marisa (8), Zihark (9/10), Lon'Qu (Awakening)

The Gotoh

The god-mode unit you get at the end of the game to crutch your way through.

Notable Gotohs: Gotoh (SD), Karel (6), Athos (7), Pretty much any Laguz Royal (9/10), Nagi (SD), Basilio/Flavia (Awakening)

The Lena

Your early cleric! Good magic growths, usually related to Julian/Nabarl. Almost always female, exception is Rhys.

Notable Lenas: Lena (SD), Elen (6), Serra (7), Natasha (8), Rhys (9), Laura (10), Lissa (Awakening)

The Julian

Early thief! Usually related to Lena/Nabarl.

Notable Julians: Julian (SD), Chad (6), Matthew (7), Colm (8), Volke/Sothe (9), Sothe/Heather (10 - He's both a Jeigan and a Julian in RD), Gaius (Awakening)

The Pegasus Sisters

Three siblings, usually Pegasus Knights, have the ability to do the Triangle attack once it's introduced.

Peg Sisters/Trios: Est/Palla/Catria (SD), Yuno/Thany/Tate (6), Wendy/Bors/Barth (6), Florina/Fiora/Farina (7), Tana/Vanessa/Syrene (8), Marcia/Tanith/Elincia (9), Oscar/Boyd/Rolf (9), Sigrun/Marcia/Tanith/Elincia (10), Barst/Bord/Cord (SD)

The Maria

The Cleric/Troubadour usually low level, who's been held hostage or introduced after Lena in the plot.

Notable Marias: Maria (SD), Clarine (6), Priscilla (7), L'Arachel (8), Mist (9/10), Maribelle (Awakening)

The Gordin

Your generic level 1 Archer!

Notable Gordins: Gordin/Norne (SD), Wolt (6), Will/Rebecca (7), Neimi (8), Rolf (9), Leonardo (10), Virion (Awakening)

The Draug

Standard Issue Armor Knight MK.5

Notable Draughs: Draugh (1/3/SD), Bors (6), Oswin (7), Gilliam (8), Gatrie (9), Meg (10), Kellam (Awakening)

The Merric

Standard Issue Mage MK.5

Notable Merrics: Merric (SD), Lugh (6), Erk (7), Lute (8), Soren (9), Miriel/Ricken (Awakening)

The Minerva

Standard Issue Recruitable Enemy Wvyern Rider MK.6

Notable Minervas: Minerva (SD), Miledy/Zeiss (6), Heath/Vaida (7), Cormag (8), Jill (9/10), Haar (9)

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Damn Raziek, impressive writeup. I knew of most of them by now, but I never really thought of some of the latter ones on your list(Like the Gordin, who I rarely use outside of the early chapters where they're forced on me.)

I feel bad for those that aren't aware of Jeigan type characters when they're new to the series XD
I knew about Jeigan characters beforehand, so I avoided them(including Oifey's like Seth, because I didn't know about them.)

However, I did train Chad early in FE6, thinking he would be able to promote to an assassin.

haha...

:(

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Nice writeup. So is Frederick in Awakening ok to level up then? I thought he was going to be a Jeigan.

Also, which characters should I look out for that you have to baby but are good later on in Awakening?
Characters like Est or Tiki I suppose.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Freddy's an Oifey.

110 65 10 55 50 40 55 25

Growths.

Very respectable, and you can reclass him for extra levels.

Edit:

Characters that may require slight babying:

Donnel, Nowi.

Everyone else is pretty much good to go.

telemaster

Chime and Twang
NNID
telemaster
o i see ok so i knew most of these just not the specific names. ive played the GBA ones, POR and RD thanks^^

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
FE8 was my first FE game, so I lucked out on avoiding the Jeigan archetype. XD

Anyway I'm not too worried about using certain units in this game seeing as there's so many chances for exp, except for maybe if I dare tackle Lunatic. Honestly I'm planning on leveling up my favorites first and then grind post game with the rest in order to prepare for the later DLC. I just hope that this doesn't make the game FE8 easy or FE2 hard.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
To be fair, Jeigans are pretty bad from a game design standpoint, they punish new players who don't know any better.

Oifeys are more practical so long as they don't solo the game. Seth may have been a bit over the top, whereas Titania/Sothe were much more reasonable.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
For the record, here's the closest you'll get to a community tier list for FE8:

10: Seth
9.5: Franz, Ephraim (Eph)
9: Eirika (Eir), Vanessa, Moulder the Boulder, Colm, Gerik (Eir), Tethys (Eir)
8.5: Lute, Kyle, Tethys (Eph)
8: Artur, Natasha, Forde, Gerik (Eph)
7.5: Saleh (Eir)
7: Innes (Eir)
6.5: Joshua, Ephraim (Eir), Tana
6:
5.5: Eirika (Eph), Gilliam Bojangles, Garcia
5: Neimi, Saleh (Eph)
4.5:
4: Ross, Innes (Eph), Dozla, L'Arachel
3.5:
3: Marisa (Eir)
2.5:
2: Marisa (Eph)
1.5: Amelia (Eph), Ewan
1: Amelia (Eir)

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I like Roy...

I guess it's all that nostalgia from playing Melee, because there really isn't much of a reason to like Roy.

But his DLC artwork is amazing, imo, so that's cool. He will probably make it onto my team whenever it's released.

Some DLC/Spotpass characters are very tempting, they could make future playthroughs interesting, even though I lose supports.

Sigurd is a Paladin, lolwut?
Didn't expect him to be unpromoted.

And why do we have three different Marths? :054:

zyth

Smash Lord
Roy is going to be an addition to my team because Roy. seriously though, if he hadnt been in melee i dont know how much i would like him right now

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
There's so much missing from the tier list :/
???

Like what?

Edit: Hahaha, just noticed there are a few characters not even on there.

Dug through the topic. Editing in the ones I can find.

Edit 2: Electric Boogaloo: Seems the topic died before he got to Cormag, Rennac, Syrene, Knoll, Duessel, Myrrh.

Knoll sucks cause he joins too late, Syrene is a mediocre pre-promo outclassed by both Vanessa and Tana, Rennac is literally useless in combat.

Duessel is godlike, Myrrh is godlike until her stone breaks, Cormag is pretty amazing.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Isn't Cormag another unit that whose value is different enough to be listed separately for each route, since he appears like, 3 chapters earlier on Ephraim's route than on Eirika's?

Also, why is everybody talking about Sacred Stones tier lists when Awakening exists? :awesome:

...seriously though it's actually making me neglect my education a little bit right now

:005:

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Yeah, Cormag is better on Eph's.

I almost always run Eph's, cause I <3 him and screw Eirika.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I hate Epharim. Stupid 23 speed cap. I'll stick to my 30 speed cap Eirika. And he gets the boat chapter. Hate that chapter

Even then.. i don't use lords in the later half of FE8, they promote too late for me to even bother using them

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Honestly I haven't gotten around to playing Ephraim's story just yet. If I wasn't so busy finishing FE12, then FE13 when I finally get my pre-ordered copy, then my promised run of FE6 to Chronobound when I get some more time after that, but then I have yet to also play my copies of FE4/5, etc. :laugh:

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Yeah his caps are pretty much my only problem with him.

He'd be so unbelievably godlike if they were higher, and he's already godlike as it is.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Double post for UPS TRACKING NUMBER BEING GIVEN TO ME YEEEEEEA!!!!!

*status ready to load* (label was made at 10pm o.O.. Bad feeling that thats being shipped from west coast where it would be 7pm)

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I nostalgia'd hard from the free DLC chapter, despite only recognizing about 40% of the fighters in that chapter

I nostalgia'd harder once I realized what the chapter map is.

Miriel's dialogue with Lilina just makes me enjoy her even more. Miriel da bess.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Got my game!

Decided to stop by a Gamestop after class and have them call the Gamestop I preordered at. :3

A BestBuy had it too, but I have the Artbook.

Now to wait for Saturday.

Also, Champions of Yore 2 has been released, as well as a Champions Pack that should get you all three. I'm not sure how the Pack will work because I can't play now, you may have to wait for the third to be released.

CoY 2 is $2.50
the Pack is $4.00

So I guess the Packs will be cheaper overall.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Got the Pack to see for myself. The third map is still unavailable, but you can download for free once it becomes available.

<3 the battle theme for the second DLC chapter though.
Since this is essentially Roy's chapter, Is that a remix of the theme from Sword of Seals?

Edit: I think the song is a one-time thing...I played the chapter again and pieces from Awakening OST took it's place.

:phone:

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Just got done with FE12, just in time for when I pick up my pre-ordered copy of FE13 tomorrow. :D

I'm really surprised that people's claims were true but man FE12's My Unit is definitely broken. I maxed out everything except for Mag/Luck/Res without trying. :laugh:

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
GAME (and 3ds) ARRIVES ON MONDAY! This cannot go any sooner...

DAMMIT WHY MONDAY I HAVE CLASS ALL DAY. I'mma skip my morning classes at this rate BUT I HAVE HW DUE AINT LIFE JUST GOING MY WAY

/rant?

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I have to recruit everyone in any FE game.

I always have the recruitment guide with me.

Those FE games with split paths that make me miss some characters are annoying.

Top Bottom