• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Which FE caused the "IKE IS GAY?!?!?!111" uproar?
FE9-10 of course. Specifically, I'd say it'd have to be FE10 though...There's a certain support conversation in the final chapter that they both have in that game.

Fire Emblem DS is out in Japan...not here. Where'd you guys get the translation for it?
I didn't. Menus and statistics are easy to read/memorize in JP FE games once you know what they are.

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
@ EGGMAN: Thanks. I'll remember this. Is it necessary for him to be like...high level? And I'm assuming I need strength, but does it need to be maxed?
As long as he is promoted and has at least 34 speed he should be fine. Also for the final battle max skill will be more important than strength (to improve your odds of landing hits).

Also, all information on FE DS can be found here: http://serenesforest.net/fe11/

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
soren is totally overrated.
Yes he is, but he's basicly the top best Magic chracter in the game. But in my rating, I'll say that Ilyana is the best on my list if you raise her right. Soren is already at that good level and so is Mia which makes them one of the top best chracters in the game.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Which FE caused the "IKE IS GAY?!?!?!111" uproar?
I always knew it was Marth, but Ike!!? since when did Ike become a gay symbol in the series?

Yes he is, but he's basicly the top best Magic chracter in the game. But in my rating, I'll say that Ilyana is the best on my list if you raise her right. Soren is already at that good level and so is Mia which makes them one of the top best chracters in the game.

Agreed!. Ilyana is definely way better than Soren, I don't know, I guess it's because I never used Soren so much that when I got a hold of Ilyana she was already better.

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
I always knew it was Marth, but Ike!!? since when did Ike become a gay symbol in the series?

Agreed!. Ilyana is definely way better than Soren, I don't know, I guess it's because I never used Soren so much that when I got a hold of Ilyana she was already better.
Huh? Ilyana is the worst one. Her magic, thunder is the weakest and least accurate and she's the slowest one out of all of them (only 30 speed max).

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Huh? Ilyana is the worst one. Her magic, thunder is the weakest and least accurate and she's the slowest one out of all of them (only 30 speed max).
She has the best HP and direct damage than the other magic chracters. Also her critical hit rate is higher than the rest of the magic chracters as well. And give her Corrosion and Vantage, then she will laugh at the face of so many people she fight and call it a day. Not to menton that she's the only Thunder Sage that is much useful at many moments of the game that others could not able to be used, I don't want to spoil it but you guys should know. Ilyana is my most used chracter since PoR and still use her in RD so I know how to use her right.

And another thing, Ilyana hotness is god tier. XD

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
She has the best HP and direct damage than the other magic chracters. Also her critical hit rate is higher than the rest of the magic chracters as well. And give her Corrosion and Vantage, then she will laugh at the face of so many people she fight and call it a day. Not to menton that she's the only Thunder Sage that is much useful at many moments of the game that others could not able to be used, I don't want to spoil it but you guys should know. Ilyana is my most used chracter since PoR and still use her in RD so I know how to use her right.

And another thing, Ilyana hotness is god tier. XD

??? Her HP is the lowest not the highest. http://serenesforest.net/fe10/class_max.html All the sages top off a 50 except her. And when did anyone ever care about a mage's HP anyways?
Also her tomes have less hit and might than wind or fire. Give Corrosion and Vantage to someone else (preferably who actually has speed since vantage triggers off of speed) and watch as they do the EXACT same thing...only better. And if you're talking about Endgame 3..., just get a wyrmslayer. It's easier and you don't have to waste time and EXP leveling up someone who is worse than almost all the other characters.

Sensai

Smash Master
Speaking as someone who has barely played the game (RD) at all, I gotta say...Ilyana seems much more useless than her previous self.

In PoR, I liked her and she got a lot of use from me. Not so much in this game. Lightning magic just isn't reliable enough.

Kyuubi9t

Smash Journeyman

my ilyana was beast on a casual easy mode playthrough, but Calill really is the mage that pulled through for me in hard mode. She was getting decent defense upgrades the whole game for some reason, and also was so fast. With her Rexflame her speed was i think 36 (40 is max), she attacked almost everyone including the final boss twice, and dodged many attacks with ease. I had her supported with nephenee and omg they really worked well together. my calill was capable of being a front line mage, and i loved her for it.

soren has always gotten weak stat upgrades for me, from PoR to RD... and he is racist against laguz so i dont like his character either

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
my ilyana was beast on a casual easy mode playthrough, but Calill really is the mage that pulled through for me in hard mode. She was getting decent defense upgrades the whole game for some reason, and also was so fast. With her Rexflame her speed was i think 36 (40 is max), she attacked almost everyone including the final boss twice, and dodged many attacks with ease. I had her supported with nephenee and omg they really worked well together. my calill was capable of being a front line mage, and i loved her for it.

soren has always gotten weak stat upgrades for me, from PoR to RD... and he is racist against laguz so i dont like his character either
Everyone is a beast one easy mode. You can do pretty much anything you want. But on hard mode it's easier to tell who's better than who.

Kyuubi9t

Smash Journeyman
Everyone is a beast one easy mode. You can do pretty much anything you want. But on hard mode it's easier to tell who's better than who.
i know this, and think that i properly implied it with the way my post was worded. in short, Calill is my mage because she was a beast in hard mode, def. one of my most useful characters of the game w/ nephenee.

Patinator

Smash Champion
I said it once, I'll say it again.

Pelleas is better than Soren.

If I had to rate FE10's mages... Pelleas > Soren >> Sanaki >>>> Calill >>> Tormod > Ilyana.

Maybe I'm wrong. I've actually made Ilyana good. Same with Calill. It just takes a lot of babying.

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
I said it once, I'll say it again.

Pelleas is better than Soren.

If I had to rate FE10's mages... Pelleas > Soren >> Sanaki >>>> Calill >>> Tormod > Ilyana.

Maybe I'm wrong. I've actually made Ilyana good. Same with Calill. It just takes a lot of babying.
Well first of all, on hard mode, Ilyana really can't be good with such low speed. She just can't. Numbers don't lie, and let's face it, her growth is leven lower than Brom's. Sages as a whole aren't really so hot in this game, they can't tank and none of them are particularlly fast compared to your other units.

Pelleas isn't good either. He comes WAY late and low level, by the time you're done babying him to the point where he can stand on his own two feet, he won't be of much help to you, he'll basically be a Soren with 1 less max speed. Soren is the best simply by his virtue of being around longer and getting up to speed faster, he'll spend more time helping you (at least to the best of his ability), and less time being babied while your other units do all the real work. The unit that spends less time being babied and more time contributing is the better unit. If you don't believe me, look at the stats, the growths, and the availability, and do the math. But please don't throw around random statements based on favoritism or personal experiences.

D

Deleted member

micaiah is the best mage if you want to be technical, she can wall with resistance hardcore, has the highest cap total of any magic user, and has access to SS staff use. It's very close though.

and ilyana is ****. you have to go out of your way not to cap str. even if lightning magic didn't **** dragons, she could arm wrestle them to death anyway.

edit: all users of SS fire are terrible for one reason or another. well, except ashera, lol.

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
micaiah is the best mage if you want to be technical, she can wall with resistance hardcore, has the highest cap total of any magic user, and has access to SS staff use. It's very close though.

and ilyana is ****. you have to go out of your way not to cap str. even if lightning magic didn't **** dragons, she could arm wrestle them to death anyway.

edit: all users of SS fire are terrible for one reason or another. well, except ashera, lol.
Couldn't you just use a wyrmslayer?

Patinator

Smash Champion
Well first of all, on hard mode, Ilyana really can't be good with such low speed. She just can't. Numbers don't lie, and let's face it, her growth is leven lower than Brom's. Sages as a whole aren't really so hot in this game, they can't tank and none of them are particularlly fast compared to your other units.
My first multi-quote debate. >_> Let's see... Well, I'm basing this off easy mode. I'm not torturing myself with even NORMAL. I must admit though, you ARE correct.

Pelleas isn't good either. He comes WAY late and low level, by the time you're done babying him to the point where he can stand on his own two feet, he won't be of much help to you, he'll basically be a Soren with 1 less max speed. Soren is the best simply by his virtue of being around longer and getting up to speed faster, he'll spend more time helping you (at least to the best of his ability), and less time being babied while your other units do all the real work. The unit that spends less time being babied and more time contributing is the better unit. If you don't believe me, look at the stats, the growths, and the availability, and do the math. But please don't throw around random statements based on favoritism or personal experiences.
Sigh. Well, can you honestly say Soren doesn't need a BIT of babying? He never double-attacks when you first get him.

FYI, though, I can't say I really BABIED Pelleas. He comes at Level 12, and I got him to level 16 or so during the first chapter just using a typical mage-behind-frontline set-up, since I couldn't get Tauroneo or Brom to double attack much. Pelleas killed anything left since Brom was already fairly good aside from speed. Considering the enemies are 2nd tier but give you almost 3rd tier EXP...

Let me put it this way. If you were to stack up Pelleas and Soren when they were at the same level, well... I really found Pelleas to be the better unit. :/

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
My first multi-quote debate. >_> Let's see... Well, I'm basing this off easy mode. I'm not torturing myself with even NORMAL. I must admit though, you ARE correct.

Sigh. Well, can you honestly say Soren doesn't need a BIT of babying? He never double-attacks when you first get him.

FYI, though, I can't say I really BABIED Pelleas. He comes at Level 12, and I got him to level 16 or so during the first chapter just using a typical mage-behind-frontline set-up, since I couldn't get Tauroneo or Brom to double attack much. Pelleas killed anything left since Brom was already fairly good aside from speed. Considering the enemies are 2nd tier but give you almost 3rd tier EXP...

Let me put it this way. If you were to stack up Pelleas and Soren when they were at the same level, well... I really found Pelleas to be the better unit. :/
Yeah it's that compared to the other units, Soren isn't really that good, but Soren has Adept for free (which helps his doubling), and Pelleas doesn't (although I wouldn't recommend leaving on him). If they're both maxed they're about the same, except Soren has 1 more magic and speed, and Pelleas has a Stronger tome (Balberith).

Not a serious argument, but just for fun: Soren vs Pelleas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeHdDO0N_Gg

Patinator

Smash Champion
Yeah it's that compared to the other units, Soren isn't really that good, but Soren has Adept for free (which helps his doubling), and Pelleas doesn't (although I wouldn't recommend leaving on him). If they're both maxed they're about the same, except Soren has 1 more magic and speed, and Pelleas has a Stronger tome (Balberith).

Not a serious argument, but just for fun: Soren vs Pelleas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeHdDO0N_Gg
If I didn't have dial-up, I'd probably be watching that now. >_<

urdailywater

Smash Hero
Can someone tell me something? Is this ALL-STRATEGY based game? I've never played a single Fire Emblem game in my life and they don't really look good to me.

I haven't played many strategical games you can say. Maybe if you can count Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and Final Fantasy X.. >.<

Do the games have a good storyline? If I play it today will I be confused since I've never played recent versions?
I'm really curious to see what the hype is all about with this game.

Sensai

Smash Master
urdailywater: It's called an SRPG. It's not at all like Pokemon or Final Fantasy games (except Tactics).

But, it is similar to the FF series in that each game, excluding Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, is completely seperate from one another. So, you could hop in at any juncture and understand completely what was going on.

I enjoy the storyline. It's the reason I play them, TBH.

Patinator

Smash Champion
Well actually FE1 and FE3 aren't completely separate, and FE6 and 7 take place on the same continent... :p Still, uh...

Well, it IS a tactical RPG. If you aren't playing with at least slight tactical knowledge, you're... You won't last long. I recommend you start with Path of Radiance or Sacred Stones, which are easier but still provide a light challenge. (I haven't played PoR, but I'm going off what people often say.)

urdailywater

Smash Hero
Yah, I'd think so.

Mystery Dungeon had tactics in it (although they were easy to understand), but it seems like you never played it Sensai... but yah. It's good to know the storyline would be easy to go with. When in doubt I'll whip Wiki out if anything..

If I ever pick it up I'll try it out. I can figure out things easily overall, especially if I buy them. Tactics are my thing if I can have time to figure out what I'm working with. I also have a friends who play it so I can ask them if somethings wrong.

edit: From what I've seen on youtube it just seems like I'll be playing a 9001x more difficult game than Mystery Dungeon in a sense.

I'll try it though, but look at it more on youtube first.

Patinator

Smash Champion
edit: From what I've seen on youtube it just seems like I'll be playing a 9001x more difficult game than Mystery Dungeon in a sense.

I'll try it though, but look at it more on youtube first.
It's really only hard to those who don't know what Fire Emblem is about (Which is basically keeping your units alive while owning the opponents' butts as much as possible.). Your first play through will be VERY difficult without any sort of guide. If you do get it, http://serenesforest.net/fe10 has a walkthrough for FE:RD about one hundred-fold better than Prima's. -.-

Sensai

Smash Master
Doh! My lack of knowledge concerning all things Pokemon and Fire Emblem has been brought to light!

Sorry, I should've looked into things deeper before answering your question, but both you and Patinator have set me straight.

[Edit:]

Just looked up Mystery Dungeon on YouTube. I was more right then I thought; Mystery Dungeon is more like Chrono Trigger than FF in terms of combat. (That's not to say that Chrono Trigger/Mystery Dungeon/etc lacks tactics, but rather that the combat is not billed as being tactical.)

I was, however, completely wrong in stating that there was little continuity in the series. My b.

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
It's really only hard to those who don't know what Fire Emblem is about (Which is basically keeping your units alive while owning the opponents' butts as much as possible.). Your first play through will be VERY difficult without any sort of guide. If you do get it, http://serenesforest.net/fe10 has a walkthrough for FE:RD about one hundred-fold better than Prima's. -.-
Is the Prima guide really that bad? I never read it so I have no idea.

pockyD

Smash Legend
don't use a walkthrough wtf

just be willing to fux up a few times your first time through. after getting your mages killed by a stray guy or having one guy slay 30 guys lemmings style and die because they each did 1 dmg to him, you'll learn from your mistakes

§leepy God

Smash Master
The IGN walkthrough is bad to me, it doesn't tell you how to get all the characters in the game, (well most walkthrough doesn't, lol), I think it's only concentrated on Easy mode and not Normal or Hard.

Patinator

Smash Champion
The IGN walkthrough is bad to me, it doesn't tell you how to get all the characters in the game, (well most walkthrough doesn't, lol), I think it's only concentrated on Easy mode and not Normal or Hard.
It's reasons like IGN and Prima that make serenesforest.net the best FE site ever. Well, FE 10 is the only one with a walkthrough, but...

...Am I advertising? >_<

EGGMAN: YES PRIMA'S GUIDE IS BAD.

Think of it this way. Using Serenes's guide, I had a MUCH easier time- for example, I ended up with a Level 13 Edward and Level 12 Nolan on their third tiers within the five or so chapters you have to use them pre-endgame, after they were only Level 2-3 second-tiers at the end of Part 1.

Serenes has about a couple lines of text per chapter. Prima has whole pages.

D

Deleted member

does it say anything about the individual units to steer you towards some over others?

I'll be using pelleas this run, should be interesting.

skellitorman

Smash Journeyman
This game was the best fire emblem game to me. Id say that it was the most difficult out of the ones I played, but I never found this series to be particularly difficult. I heard that a difficulty harder than hard was taken out of the American version which was quite disappointing considering that hard wasn't that difficult.

In hard difficulty the weapon triangle for weapons and magic is void. Whether their intention was to make the game harder or not by doing that doesn't change the fact that it made most of the game easier. The funny thing is that the hardest parts of hard mode were the first few chapters.

*SPOILER*
*SPOILER*

I don't think this is much of an accomplishment, but my friend was amazed when I beat the final chapter (final chapter, final part, on hard difficulty) on the beginning of the 4th turn without any laguz (not including dragons or the heron) and with only 13/17 people.

*END SPOILER*
*END SPOILER*

I didn't use a strategy guide for normal, however I used the strategy guide for hard mode once, which was only for the desert level to locate the treasures which I really wanted.

Patinator

Smash Champion
This game was the best fire emblem game to me. Id say that it was the most difficult out of the ones I played, but I never found this series to be particularly difficult. I heard that a difficulty harder than hard was taken out of the American version which was quite disappointing considering that hard wasn't that difficult.

In hard difficulty the weapon triangle for weapons and magic is void. Whether their intention was to make the game harder or not by doing that doesn't change the fact that it made most of the game easier. The funny thing is that the hardest parts of hard mode were the first few chapters.

*SPOILER*
*SPOILER*

I don't think this is much of an accomplishment, but my friend was amazed when I beat the final chapter (final chapter, final part, on hard difficulty) on the beginning of the 4th turn without any laguz (not including dragons or the heron) and with only 13/17 people.

*END SPOILER*
*END SPOILER*

I didn't use a strategy guide for normal, however I used the strategy guide for hard mode once, which was only for the desert level to locate the treasures which I really wanted.
Yeah, the hardest parts of this game, by FAR, are the Micaiah chapters.

does it say anything about the individual units to steer you towards some over others?

I'll be using pelleas this run, should be interesting.
Yeah, it does. For whatever reason, the Serenes Forest guide doesn't list Stefan, though. I don't recommend him anyway. Grab his sword, and throw him away after that. XP

Unless you do something wrong, it should INDEED be interesting. :)

D

Deleted member

I wish Sothe weren't total trash.

I wish Whisper as a class wasn't total trash.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
I wish Sothe weren't total trash.

I wish Whisper as a class wasn't total trash.
QFT.

I want my assassins back (and by Assassins, I mean Mathew with a killing edge, max skill, an S in swords and a 15% crit support. 65 Crit FTW! ).:(
You can get a 94 %crit with guy. 14% for max skill+5% for S weapon level+15% for class bonus+35 for weapon bonus+25% for supports

Volke was just bad.

Top Bottom