• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
You mean letting Eddie hog ALL of the experience? No thank you.

Aran is better than Eddie for protecting the Dawn Brigade. He has the most monstrous defense growth in the entire game.... HE'S A MARSHALL WITH +1 MOVEMENT!

Jill is better than Eddie do to a higher defense stat and the ability to fly. Her only real weaknesses are a low early skill rating (hell, Paragon fixes this quite nicely) and a weakness against Thunder. Not to mention she has a better position on the weapon triangle.

Leonardo doesn't even hog experience. HE HELPS YOU GAIN EXPERIENCE. There is no reason not to use Leo.

Zihark gains the same experience that Eddie does when he catches up. There's something called a Paragon scroll if your actually worried about someone who is already a great asset to your team getting better.
Aran grows very slowly though. It takes forever to get him to start doubling stuff. Which means he kills slower, which means he levels slower. I wouldn't recommend using him too much on hard mode (You only get 1/4 bonus exp, so you won't have enough to boost his speed unless you dump it all on him). Leonardo has the same problem, and in addition, he can't tank anything.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
Leonardo isn't exactly an experience hog though. He helps units like Nolan and Aran score kills more easily, thus fufilling a good function for atleast some of the game.

Aran doesn't really grow as slowly as you claim. All you need is to use him (which there is no reason not to, since the Dawn Brigade is begging for tanks). Use him and he becomes one of the most powerful units the Dawn Brigade has.

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
Leonardo isn't exactly an experience hog though. He helps units like Nolan and Aran score kills more easily, thus fufilling a good function for atleast some of the game.

Aran doesn't really grow as slowly as you claim. All you need is to use him (which there is no reason not to, since the Dawn Brigade is begging for tanks). Use him and he becomes one of the most powerful units the Dawn Brigade has.
He does take an extremely long time though. Unless you let him kill the majority of enemies, which will take twice as long since he doesn't double anything, he won't really become an effective killer until he reaches his final promotion. Almost anyone can become good if you let them hog all the kills and powerlevel them ahead of all the enemies, so this isn't really an argument in Aran's favor. Their problem is that they're both too slow. There's no reason to invest in them when you could find someone who can get the kills in half the time.

Patinator

Smash Champion
When I killed Micaiah with Ike, the Black Knight killed me after that. XD

WHAT.

HOW did you do that?!

@ current discussion about Dawn Brigade/ Zihark >/< Edward:

Maybe it's just how I play. By the time I get Zihark- perhaps I've said this before?- Edward outclasses him, as a MYRMIDON.

Let me just show how each of the DB members end up by the time I get Zihark.

Micaiah: Around Level 9. Doesn't really matter; Paragon comes soon, along with a lot of horse and then armored units.

Sothe: Level 1-3. :p He gets like 5 EXP per kill...

Edward: Level 15-17 Myrmidon. OUTCLASSES/EQUALS ZIHARK, with six times the EXP growth.

Leonardo: Stopped using since the first chapter I could choose who to use, uh... Chapter 4? Haven't missed him since.

Nolan: Level 16-18 Warrior. Makes a great wall, especially since I gave him and Eddie a support.

Laura: Gtfo

Aran: Used him once or twice. He nearly DIED. He's too slow to double anything but a Tiger, and lacks power. Even if I use him, he never dodges and never kills. Even if I give him a 1-weight lance. U_U

Meg: See Laura.

Volug: Useful. Kinda. :/ Not much to say.

Zihark: Edward absolutely replaces him, giving the units I DO use more EXP.

Tauroneo: No.

Jill: With a better axe, she's broken-hax. ;)

Oh, and

Ilyana: Believe it or not, I made her pretty good- but that's with a lot of babying. Had I not done that, she'd be in the back of the convoy wagon with the rest of the useless people.

So yeah. I used Edward, Nolan, Micaiah, Tauroneo in a FEW situations, like drawing out the boss of that two-part chapter, Sothe, Volug, and Jill. And Ilyana.

:/

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
he means leonardo can help you get the chip damage you need to ensure that certain characters get the kill
Anyone who can inflict damage can do that though. It's not something special about Leonardo specifically. And it doesn't make him worth raising up. And Patinator, the main reason people favor Zihark is because of his Earth affinity. Affinity can't ever be changed, so an okay Swordmaster with Earth is better than a slightly more powerful one (offensively) with Light. An A support with Nolan will make Zihark more or less invulnerable, much more useful than the tiny hit/defense bonus that Edward's light gives. Earth affinity is also the only reason to use some characters like Oscar. Pseudo invincibility is not something to be taken lightly. Also note that Zihark comes with the innate skill adept, which uses no capacity on him, much more useful than Edward's wrath.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
@Patinator-What, are you playing on easy or something? You're syphoning all of your experience for two units, which really doesn't cut it on hard mode.

@Eggman-Leonardo is better at it since he attacks indirectly, but you're right he really isn't worth raising up. I just keep him on the team because I've got no one better to bring.

And yes, Earth affinity is too good. Earth affinity+Adept>>Edward's stat advantage.

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
@Patinator-What, are you playing on easy or something? You're syphoning all of your experience for two units, which really doesn't cut it on hard mode.

@Eggman-Leonardo is better at it since he attacks indirectly, but you're right he really isn't worth raising up. I just keep him on the team because I've got no one better to bring.

And yes, Earth affinity is too good. Earth affinity+Adept>>Edward's stat advantage.
Ah, but you forget, every other character can also attack at range via javelins, hand axes, and wind edges.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Ah, but you forget, every other character can also attack at range via javelins, hand axes, and wind edges.
But everyone outside of Nolan, Sothe, and Zihark will be missing their target quite a few times with weapons with such low hit rate.

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
But everyone outside of Nolan, Sothe, and Zihark will be missing their target quite a few times with weapons with such low hit rate.
Those guys all have skill growth in the 70-80 percent range, they're not missing. And they get twice as many chances to hit since they're actually fast (well Nolan won't be until he promotes, but that's still more than you can say for Leonardo).

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Those guys all have skill growth in the 70-80 percent range, they're not missing. And they get twice as many chances to hit since they're actually fast (well Nolan won't be until he promotes, but that's still more than you can say for Leonardo).
I was saying everyone in the Dawn Brigade EXCEPT them will be missing a lot with 1-2 ranged weapons. I would bench Leonardo after chapter 1-6, but not before then since he does not take up a spot (although he does take up experience, but he should not be killing anything anyway).

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
I was saying everyone in the Dawn Brigade EXCEPT them will be missing a lot with 1-2 ranged weapons. I would bench Leonardo after chapter 1-6, but not before then since he does not take up a spot (although he does take up experience, but he should not be killing anything anyway).
Oh I missed that. Anyways, yeah there's no harm in letting Leonardo poke something when the opportunity arises.

Patinator

Smash Champion
Anyone who can inflict damage can do that though. It's not something special about Leonardo specifically. And it doesn't make him worth raising up. And Patinator, the main reason people favor Zihark is because of his Earth affinity. Affinity can't ever be changed, so an okay Swordmaster with Earth is better than a slightly more powerful one (offensively) with Light. An A support with Nolan will make Zihark more or less invulnerable, much more useful than the tiny hit/defense bonus that Edward's light gives. Earth affinity is also the only reason to use some characters like Oscar. Pseudo invincibility is not something to be taken lightly. Also note that Zihark comes with the innate skill adept, which uses no capacity on him, much more useful than Edward's wrath.
Well... Eh, I guess that's true. *shrug* I just find Edward better if only because Zihark barely gains any EXP at the beginning. :/

Dark Sonic: Well, uh... I CAN'T GET PAST NORMAL OKAY? DON'T HURT ME FOR NOT LIKING EXTREME, OMG-I-MUST-RETRY-FOR-THE-1000TH-TIME CHALLENGES. D:

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
Well... Eh, I guess that's true. *shrug* I just find Edward better if only because Zihark barely gains any EXP at the beginning. :/
Zihark starts out at a higher level than Edward. When (if) Edward catches up, he'll also be gaining barely any experience.

Actually, if you let Zihark have that Paragon scroll once in a while, you'll find him leveling up quite quickly.

Micaiah doesn't need to have that Paragon scroll all the time.... or ever really. She's pretty much useless no matter what. She won't be surviving much regardless of her level (not saying to not train her), so she is stuck being a healer/purger once she promotes.

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman

Dark Sonic: Well, uh... I CAN'T GET PAST NORMAL OKAY? DON'T HURT ME FOR NOT LIKING EXTREME, OMG-I-MUST-RETRY-FOR-THE-1000TH-TIME CHALLENGES. D:
Where exactly are you stuck on normal mode?

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero

Well, you're basing your opinions of characters based off of easy mode, where everyone levels up rediculously fast, so of course you're going to have a different opinion than us.

I'm saying that Zihark is more useful on higher dificulties, because not only is training Edward harder, but Zihark's earth affinity is very helpful now that the enemies actually have a decent hit rate.

If your Edward has already caught up in level by the time you get Zihark, it's because you were either playing on easy, or playing on normal and boss abusing at pretty much every opportunity. It's fine that you like to use Edward. It's fine that you like to play on easy. But typically when people compare characters in FE it's on the harder difficulty settings, where character choice is actually somewhat important.

Patinator

Smash Champion
Well, you're basing your opinions of characters based off of easy mode, where everyone levels up rediculously fast, so of course you're going to have a different opinion than us.

I'm saying that Zihark is more useful on higher dificulties, because not only is training Edward harder, but Zihark's earth affinity is very helpful now that the enemies actually have a decent hit rate.

If your Edward has already caught up in level by the time you get Zihark, it's because you were either playing on easy, or playing on normal and boss abusing at pretty much every opportunity. It's fine that you like to use Edward. It's fine that you like to play on easy. But typically when people compare characters in FE it's on the harder difficulty settings, where character choice is actually somewhat important.
Okay... Fine. I'd better butt out of this, then. >_>

EGGMAN: I screwed myself over with Micaiah's group, and don't feel like having to restart every time someone dies, which happens often. :(

@ no one in particular: I'm more or less basing my Edward > Zihark opinion off of my own personal findings (And to be honest, I still think so, even if it's just on easy. Edward's statistical advantages > Zihark's affinity.), along with serenesforest's FE:RD guide.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
@ no one in particular: I'm more or less basing my Edward > Zihark opinion off of my own personal findings (And to be honest, I still think so, even if it's just on easy. Edward's statistical advantages > Zihark's affinity.), along with serenesforest's FE:RD guide.
In Radiant Dawn, defense is a LOT more important than offense.

Edward is statistically superior in the offensive department (not by a huge amount), but his defense is among the worst out of any Swordmaster in the game, except for maybe Lucia and Stefan (Stefan has bad luck, giving him a lower dodge rate).

Zihark is defensively superior and is still more than capable of providing a great offense. He is a dodge tank especially when paired up with Nolan, Aran, or any other unit with an earth affinity. Actually I find that wind is another really great combination with Earth (Oscar and Rolf is an absolutely awesome support bonus).

Oh and Serenes Forest's FE:RD guide was made by an idiot and conflicts heavily with the knowledge of the Serenes Forest's forum.

D

Deleted member

I see people in this thread complaining about difficulty on easy. Are you kidding? This was my first FE game (have since played Path of Radiance) and I only lost 3 people Zihark (UGH) Laura (Double UGH) and Titania (Accidently attacked a guy with a horsekiller) I did have an awful problem with the last level because Micaiah was so weak that the final bosses attack that hurt everyone in your party killed her in 1 hit. I had to put her on horseback to avoid getting a game over. Anyway, this is probably in my top 5 wii games and has inspired me to preorder Shadow Dragon.

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
Okay... Fine. I'd better butt out of this, then. >_>

EGGMAN: I screwed myself over with Micaiah's group, and don't feel like having to restart every time someone dies, which happens often. :(

Details? Who are you using and what stats do they have? And what chapter?

Patinator

Smash Champion
In Radiant Dawn, defense is a LOT more important than offense.

Edward is statistically superior in the offensive department (not by a huge amount), but his defense is among the worst out of any Swordmaster in the game, except for maybe Lucia and Stefan (Stefan has bad luck, giving him a lower dodge rate).

Zihark is defensively superior and is still more than capable of providing a great offense. He is a dodge tank especially when paired up with Nolan, Aran, or any other unit with an earth affinity. Actually I find that wind is another really great combination with Earth (Oscar and Rolf is an absolutely awesome support bonus).

Oh and Serenes Forest's FE:RD guide was made by an idiot and conflicts heavily with the knowledge of the Serenes Forest's forum.
I... See.

Eh. Well, judging by how hard normal mode seems to me, I agree. :/ Your units either dodge, or they die.

Details? Who are you using and what stats do they have? And what chapter?
>_>

I may have deleted the file, I don't know. But I'll just say, I had to kind of use the EXP-hogging characters more than I wanted (AKA Tauroneo, Sothe, Laguz...), resulting in absolutely horrible characters. That was before I figured out how to up someone's support level though.

>_>

<_<

YES IT TOOK ME A WHILE TO DO THAT.

I'll just give a comparison with Nolan and Edward. On my epic file I've done recently, they ended up in the 10's of their second tier by the end of Chapter 6, part three...

...In the bad file, they were about level... 3. :/

Maybe I just fail at Fire Emblem. I don't know. ;_;

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
I... See.

Eh. Well, judging by how hard normal mode seems to me, I agree. :/ Your units either dodge, or they die.

>_>

I may have deleted the file, I don't know. But I'll just say, I had to kind of use the EXP-hogging characters more than I wanted (AKA Tauroneo, Sothe, Laguz...), resulting in absolutely horrible characters. That was before I figured out how to up someone's support level though.

>_>

<_<

YES IT TOOK ME A WHILE TO DO THAT.

I'll just give a comparison with Nolan and Edward. On my epic file I've done recently, they ended up in the 10's of their second tier by the end of Chapter 6, part three...

...In the bad file, they were about level... 3. :/

Maybe I just fail at Fire Emblem. I don't know. ;_;
Oh. Well that doesn't really have anything to do with difficulty level at all. Just don't do it again and normal mode is practically the same as easy mode. You still get boatloads of bonus exp and everything. Just use choke points and don't let your guys get gang ***** to death. Pretty basic stuff.

Patinator

Smash Champion
Oh. Well that doesn't really have anything to do with difficulty level at all. Just don't do it again and normal mode is practically the same as easy mode. You still get boatloads of bonus exp and everything. Just use choke points and don't let your guys get gang ***** to death. Pretty basic stuff.
Well, NOW I know how to play this game, so, heh...

But, uh... Choke points?

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
I see people in this thread complaining about difficulty on easy. Are you kidding?
Wait... Are they complaining about easy mode being easy or easy mode being hard?

If it's the former, it's petty. If it's the latter, I'm seriously going to reconsider assoicating with the Nintendo 'hardcore' base.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
But, uh... Choke points?
Like narrow hallways and passages and stuff.

There are often obstacles like barrels, swamps, walls ect that act as "choke" points where only one or two spaces are available for passage. So you could often use a single unit to block off this passage way and line up some ranged fighters behind him. Only one enemy (or two if they have a ranged enemy as well) will be able to attack the unit blocking the passage, and you can make your advance when your turn rolls around.

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
I see people in this thread complaining about difficulty on easy. Are you kidding?
Wait... Are they complaining about easy mode being easy or easy mode being hard?

If it's the former, it's petty. If it's the latter, I'm seriously going to reconsider assoicating with the Nintendo 'hardcore' base.
They're saying it's too hard. I suppose compared to the almost half conscious "move your units the maximum number of spaces each turn and watch them kill everything" difficulty level of FE 7-9, it would be considered difficult. Once people figure out what they're doing wrong they get over it. But I will say that the selection of characters is wildly imbalanced. And to put more salt in the wound, growths are not listed anywhere in the game for some strange reason. People often end up using sub par characters without even realizing it.

Patinator

Smash Champion

They're saying it's too hard. I suppose compared to the almost half conscious "move your units the maximum number of spaces each turn and watch them kill everything" difficulty level of FE 7-9, it would be considered difficult. Once people figure out what they're doing wrong they get over it. But I will say that the selection of characters is wildly imbalanced. And to put more salt in the wound, growths are not listed anywhere in the game for some strange reason. People often end up using sub par characters without even realizing it.
Which FE game actually lists the chance a character's stat can go up? :/

D

Deleted member

Zihark is totally amazing, so much so that I think you are given many better choices for Paragon (tauroneo, nolan, ilyana(?), jill) that it's just not that useful for him. He doesn't have leveling issues if he gets a few good ones during part 1.

What I don't get is why anyone would ever use Edward when Mia is available. Mia outclasses him everywhere except average stats, where they end up about the same. Vantage vs Wrath is a joke as is Fire vs Light affinities and she has no difficulty leveling up at any point in the game.

I also had my lv 3 trueblade zihark kill A supported lv 5 soren and lv 20 ike at the end of part 3. Both of them nearly maxed stats for their classes. and oh yeah, it was lucky as ****.

Patinator

Smash Champion
Zihark is totally amazing, so much so that I think you are given many better choices for Paragon (tauroneo, nolan, ilyana(?), jill) that it's just not that useful for him. He doesn't have leveling issues if he gets a few good ones during part 1.

What I don't get is why anyone would ever use Edward when Mia is available. Mia outclasses him everywhere except average stats, where they end up about the same. Vantage vs Wrath is a joke as is Fire vs Light affinities and she has no difficulty leveling up at any point in the game.

I also had my lv 3 trueblade zihark kill A supported lv 5 soren and lv 20 ike at the end of part 3. Both of them nearly maxed stats for their classes. and oh yeah, it was lucky as ****.
Wooooooooow.

I concede defeat. O_o

Top Bottom