• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Finally happened...

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
A zelda took me in a set with dominance, for those with Ike woes.

Ninjalink (Zelda) vs Rykoshet (Ike) Best of 3

Match 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBcoT2SpJgY&fmt=18
Match 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jtcff0Xmni4&fmt=18
Match 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg-2JssmAzg&fmt=18 (Finally Up)

Feel free to watch and before someone mentions me being careless with him on the ledge, I'd like to point out that this is the first zelda who actually trumped me when I was in an edgeguarding position with something I had never experienced before and only knew of from lurking.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
don't get down. NL's zelda as exceptional in those vids. So pretty. might be the best style I've seen so far. And great technical ability

•Col•

Smash Champion
No!!! Rykoshet, what have you done!? D: J/k..

Lol, totally didn't see that first Zelda kill coming...
THAT'S WHAT YOU GET FOR RECOVERING WITH QUICKDRAW O:<

Anyway, even though you lost, I still think that you played better than the Zelda did... xP

~Peachy~

Creator of delicious desserts
♥Mhhmmmm... Very entertaining to say the least. Keeping the sound affects with different music is probably the reason. ;)

And I love how that Zelda fought like she was in control the whole match. Good job on your part too Rykoshet. Very entertaining! ^__^

RedSnowman

Smash Apprentice
I think you could have landed some heavier hits on Zelda with your tilts sometimes... it felt like all you punished with was a grab or a single jab where I think you had enough time where you could have landed an ftilt or utilt. Exceptional play though. Your shielding to bairs were nice and... well you played really good.

God NL came out fierce right in the beginning of that second match. His dtilts were beautiful. I don't even know how to criticize his play... it seemed really good. I really liked the way he floated to different sides to get usmashes or LKs off. Man intense matches.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
This Zelda is easily top 2 that i've seen so far. NinjaLink might even be on par with DM and as far as I know, he doesn't even main Zelda. I never really thought ledgewarp stalling could be so good, i'm definitely adding this to my game.

Ryko, your Ike is really good as well very entertaining to watch and you can't say that about most Ike players. I can not wait for the last vid to be uploaded:)

edit: Ninjalink is the only Zelda user I have seen who doesn't always throw out at least one dins every time the opponent is offstage. I also like the way he keeps his smashes fresh by using ftilt a lot, something i'll also have to look into.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
I realize I misjudged invincibility the exact same way in both matches after NL's first stock loss <_<, feinted nair that hits a second too early lol. And yeah I played it very touch and go because jab and grab are relatively safe pokes to set stuff up on but you're right I should have commited to a tilt here and there.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Okay that last video is amazing, i've never seen anyone use Farore's that well. That gimp kill with the nair was beautiful and of course the spike at the end made me cry. I mean a b-reversal to a spike? You've got to be kidding me

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Yeah I was waiting for that third match, it really demonstrates just how much innovation was involved in the match, I got caught completely offguard.

A point worth noting about the entire set:

There were at least 3 identical situations in the set where the results changed just depending on timing, the last kill being the most evident one since the exact same missed move/setup/retaliation happens in match 1 but both of us miss.

Anyway there you have it, watch and do what you want with it, I'd say learn from it for sure. I know I did, that nayru's deal hopefully should never touch me again.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
REVERSED NL TO SPIKE THING!!!

Wow I can't believe some people actually read that. Hahaha. I'm so happy to see it in action. And he used it for a game kill! (He did a lottt better in the third vid for some reason)

NL is definitely a good player. Very quick and nimble. I just think he needs a bit of practice landing sweetspots. He often runs into attacks for no apparent reason. Beautiful DI though, and great use of n-air.

FinalKai

Smash Apprentice
Home: New Jersey, College: USC (Los Angeles)
Very nice. everything amazing has been stated already...so no need to add. just felt like contributing to the overall awe that is NL's Zelda...

Too bad bad my Zelda has become secretary to my ZSS...but she still has a lot to learn. definitely gonna make use of this.

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
Wow at this thread. I'm not saying NL is a bad Zelda by any means, but these matches didn't seem fascinating or anything to me at all. It reminded me of the Pit videos full of gimmicky ATs that really didn't help much at all in the actual match.

He was exceptional at aiming his teleports, definitely. Also, in the 3rd match, that off-ledge nair was pretty good too. Other then that, I don't understand what you guys find so amazing about his style. I get the feeling that if Rykoshet regularly played against a Zelda, there is absolutely no way he would have fallen for that b-reversal to spike trap.

Also, is Ike considered a hard matchup for Zelda? I was always under the impression it was something of a throwaway in Zelda's favor.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Wow at this thread. I'm not saying NL is a bad Zelda by any means, but these matches didn't seem fascinating or anything to me at all. It reminded me of the Pit videos full of gimmicky ATs that really didn't help much at all in the actual match.

He was exceptional at aiming his teleports, definitely. Also, in the 3rd match, that off-ledge nair was pretty good too. Other then that, I don't understand what you guys find so amazing about his style. I get the feeling that if Rykoshet regularly played against a Zelda, there is absolutely no way he would have fallen for that b-reversal to spike trap.

Also, is Ike considered a hard matchup for Zelda? I was always under the impression it was something of a throwaway in Zelda's favor.
LOL :laugh:

Rykoshet is infamous for destroying zeldas because he has a ridiculous amount of experience against them.

Also, ike is hard for zelda. 55:45 ike's favour. Ninjalink just had an amazing zelda.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I get the feeling that if Rykoshet regularly played against a Zelda, there is absolutely no way he would have fallen for that b-reversal to spike trap.
You'd be surprised. Once you get hit by the B-Reversal, you're going to go off the stage for sure, at which point the chance of connecting a spike is the same as any other time you try to spike.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater

He was exceptional at aiming his teleports, definitely. Also, in the 3rd match, that off-ledge nair was pretty good too. Other then that, I don't understand what you guys find so amazing about his style.
There's not much character depth to Zelda. The essence of her character doesn't allow for much variation in playstyle. The strength in NL's gameplay is his decision-making and creativity. There's not a lot of room for creativity, but he certainly does things that we haven't seen before. I thought his play was pretty darn good. Yes, not mind-blowingly amazing, but very skilled.

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
I'm not saying he's a bad player by any means, but he seriously seems like any other generic Zelda. The difference is he appears to use less Din's Fire in favor of teleport canceling (Probably because it looks cooler?). He is skilled, but not special.

Also, the idea that Ike has the advantage against Zelda is just plain wrong, in my opinion. Din's Fire alone puts Ike at a disadvantage for most of the fight, especially for anything off the stage. Show me these videos of Rykoshet putting Zeldas to shame.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
I'm not saying he's a bad player by any means, but he seriously seems like any other generic Zelda. The difference is he appears to use less Din's Fire in favor of teleport canceling (Probably because it looks cooler?). He is skilled, but not special.

Also, the idea that Ike has the advantage against Zelda is just plain wrong, in my opinion. Din's Fire alone puts Ike at a disadvantage for most of the fight, especially for anything off the stage. Show me these videos of Rykoshet putting Zeldas to shame.
You're trolling, right? This is the first zelda I've definitively lost to in a good 9 months, I know most of her moveset's range better than a lot of mains.

-Mars-

Smash Hero

Here's him easily two-stocking Naks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DjTsDLZYDE

Their were others, just didn't feel the need to post them.

As you can see, Ike has a lot of range(more than Zelda in most cases) and his jabs are so fast they can cause Zelda some problems. Din's fire is not a game changing projectile. It can be SH airdodged easily by Ike, he can SHAD right into his jab combo(which is extremely fast since he's buffering the move).

NinjaLink has a fantastic Zelda, you have no idea what yor talking about.............Rykoshet is good.

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
I checked out your profile and all I can find are videos of you playing a single zelda named Naks who doesn't seem to be very good. Although he did have some better moments in this match (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u7kcqtlBws), I don't know why he couldn't emulate that talent in his other ones. He barely ever seemed to do anything except roll when he had to space himself somewhere.

How many other Zeldas do you play? Are they good ones?

Now tell me, in YOUR words, why Ike has the advantage against Zelda. I saw the matchup thread, it barely has anything more then a paragraph of unspecific text.

Edit: And yes, you guys LOVE to talk about Ike's strengths (He has power! He has range!) while completely ignoring his WEAKNESSES. By your logic, since Ike has range, he's better then Marth. I think most of smashboards would agree that's incorrect.

Once again, I am NOT SAYING NINJALINK AS A BAD ZELDA. HIS ZELDA IS GOOD. Please just shut up Marsulas, you're like the annoying kid in every topic who kisses the *** of everyone with a post count over 2000.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I checked out your profile and all I can find are videos of you playing a single zelda named Naks who doesn't seem to be very good. Although he did have some better moments in this match (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u7kcqtlBws), I don't know why he couldn't emulate that talent in his other ones. He barely ever seemed to do anything except roll when he had to space himself somewhere.

Now tell me, in YOUR words, why Ike has the advantage against Zelda. I saw the matchup thread, it barely has anything more then a paragraph of unspecific text.

Edit: And yes, you guys LOVE to talk about Ike's strengths (He has power! He has range!) while completely ignoring his WEAKNESSES. By your logic, since Ike has range, he's better then Marth. I think most of smashboards would agree that's incorrect.
-Naks is a not a bad zelda.
-I know I at least have played against Ryko and he's very tough
-Ryko is being aknowledged by everyone else in the thread as being good <_<
- what does zelda have on ike that actually works that he doesn't have greater advantages to balance out?
-Ninjalink isn;t just not a bad zelda, he's an exceptional Zelda
- Marsulas is an autonomous poster. never a kiss *** that I've seen and he posts intelligent remarks... don;t lash out at others who call you out for being dead wrong.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord

Once again, I am NOT SAYING NINJALINK AS A BAD ZELDA. HIS ZELDA IS GOOD. Please just shut up Marsulas, you're like the annoying kid in every topic who kisses the *** of everyone with a post count over 2000.
I think some people just have very low standards.

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
-Naks is a not a bad zelda.
Where is the evidence of this? I posted evidence on why I think he is bad. He isn't good at spacing, he's not very good at punishing, he has some good moments here and there but for the most part I was shouting at my screen during the matches because I saw so many missed opportunities.

-I know I at least have played against Ryko and he's very tough
Ryko is a very good Ike. I agree.

-Ryko is being aknowledged by everyone else in the thread as being good <_<
I never said Ryko was a bad Ike so I'm not sure where you're going with this.

- what does zelda have on ike that actually works that he doesn't have greater advantages to balance out?
The same thing that EVERYONE has on Ike that makes him lower in the tier list. He's slower. You are deliberately ignoring this because it hurts your side of the argument. Zelda is faster in almost every way. A single missed tilt by Ike should be a lightning heel for Zelda. A SHAD-buffered jab can be shielded and punished. Ike has great range. Zelda is still faster and can punish much more effectively then Ike.

-Ninjalink isn;t just not a bad zelda, he's an exceptional Zelda
My opinion is that he is not exceptional, but he is good. He is definitely better at aiming his teleports then most Zeldas, and that seems to be the only thing that separates him.

- Marsulas is an autonomous poster. never a kiss *** that I've seen and he posts intelligent remarks... don;t lash out at others who call you out for being dead wrong.
This is just a personal opinion I have after seeing him around smashboards. It's not relevant to the argument, sorry.
Red text is reply.

10replies

-Mars-

Smash Hero

Lol, I could care less about people's post counts. I'm thinking maybe your opinion of me stems from some bitterness you have over me commenting on your Zelda vids a few weeks back?

I fail to see how i'm kissing everyone's ***, i'm just stating facts. Even Zelda mains agree that it's in Ikes' favor.....ALL OF THEM. You are stating opinions that everyone disagrees with.......your logic is ignorant.

If you think it's in Zeldas favor give some more reasons than he is "slow". I'm guessing you've never played a good Ike, he has several fast moves with minimal cooldown time and he punishes HARD.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I don't mean to be an ***, but I think that Zelda's the one in favour. If you know how to space well and approach to the best of Zelda's ability, Ike is quite easy to manipulate.

I'm not saying he's the easiest foe ever, but his recovery is absolute dog ****. Even though he has a long range, his ridiculously long afterlag allows Zelda to step closer and attack without much fear of punishment. I think the problem here is that Zelda must be playing the defensive at all times, and that can be really boring, so people run into attacks because they want to play a fighting game, and not chess.

Top Bottom