• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Final Smash 4, a Brawl/Melee tournament, June 28th, San Antonio TX

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
I was just kidding.

It's:

Hug Kal
Play Mario Party 8
Give Kal 50 dollars

I lose friendlies with the majority of people I play, because it's fun to just screw around and not worry about the results.
Super johnz, you never win tournaments. Ever.

Also, let it be known that I beat Hylian's Falco with my Ganon. I will be uploading it on the internetz and changing smashboard's homepage to a full screen HD video of the beating he received.

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
Thanks Landon, you got the Brawl vs Melee argument going again:joyful:

Anyways, the layout is gonna be different, and there'll be something like two rooms. The second room will be for Melee and friendlies. Of course, please understand I may have to commandeer other tvs to get each event completed.

D'oH, are you bringing your laptop? It would be easier if we kept the Melee and Brawl brackets on separate computers. If you want, I can leave running Melee up to you as well.

So it be something like this:

Final Smash 4, presented by King Mosquito, Dugg Fin, and Darkness of Heart.

EDIT: remember, you shouldn't take Mr C or Kite seriously on the boards. Well, you shouldn't take Kite seriously IRL either :laugh: but fact is he did take second in teams in my last tournament. He does make a good teams partner, and has always placed well in teams.

K1T3

Smash Lord
Thank you Kyle =) Taking me seriously ever is probably a bad idea I **** talk alot without meaning it. I simply didn't like Lee's comment since I'm at least pretty good and certainly not a bad player. So yeah just random **** talk.
I in no way think I am top anything in Texas and am well aware that I havn't played most of Texas's good players. And Hylian yes I agree =) sorry you took the comment the wrong way, again it was just **** talking through irrelevant facts like friendlies, yes I know you're probably the best in Texas. Though I really did want to play you in this last tourney but Dojo was just way too good at MK dittos and I couldn't get past him =(

San Angelo I may be able to house you guys since you're all pretty cool. I'll let you know. Sat night right?

As far as crews if Converse makes a crew I'll crew with them. Followed by if San Angelo wants me I'll crew with them. Lee would most likely make a great addition to any crew as he play 100 characters and can counterpick everyone. So maybe an SA Austin area crew would be nice too.
Why are people always making super crews *cough* Hylian *cough*

Infinity if you learn fast and listen well I can teach you to **** in teams real quick before/during singles and we can team and **** =) It shouldn't be too hard as from what I hear you already know how to win.

screeddie

Smash Apprentice
Why's Lylat Cruise a counter-pick?

I'm looking forward to playing as many of you as I can. There'll be a practice around my area (Northwest San Antonio, 15 mins away from Gamelot) soon. If anyone's down, PM me. There'll most likely be atleast 3 more scheduled practice sessions before the 28th. ULTIMATE TRAINING, y'know?

Dojo

Smash Champion
Good players know it should be:

Beat up Kal
Brawl Singles
Brawl Doubles
Brawl Crews
Beat up Kal again
Teabag Kal
I lol'd hard. :)

If I am going to be in a crew, I want Sethlon lol.

My prefered crew would be:

Hylian
Sethlon
Roy_R(If he goes)
Dojo.
Sounds good to me. :p

San Angelo I may be able to house you guys since you're all pretty cool. I'll let you know. Sat night right?.
Yeah its saturday night. I'll leave all that up to Santi since he'll be the one driving if we do go. I'm cool with wherever. :)

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
Why's Lylat Cruise a counter-pick?

I'm looking forward to playing as many of you as I can. There'll be a practice around my area (Northwest San Antonio, 15 mins away from Gamelot) soon. If anyone's down, PM me. There'll most likely be atleast 3 more scheduled practice sessions before the 28th. ULTIMATE TRAINING, y'know?
People were telling me it has issues, but not enough for a ban, therefore it falls into counterpick. No one was giving reasons it should stay, so I changed it.

Ultimate training? Josh, is that you?

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
In regards to people who don't enter Melee because they're bad at it/play Brawl.

So why do you enter brawl tourneys???

Because since there are no advanced tactics to worry about you figure you'll do fine???

Just because you don't now some advanced tactics doesn't mean it won't be fun/you can't improve by going!!!

Don't take this post as being mean, I simply have just never understood the mindset of, "there is no point in going, I'd just lose"!!!

I mean how do you expect to get better, if you always think that about melee tourneys???
I don't get why people don't enter Melee.

Dojo

Smash Champion
I would enter melee tourneys because of the fun I had when I played, but personally I dont feel a need to get better at it anymore. It had its time and it was more intensifying and fun then brawl is but it's just not a big attraction anymore.

I'd rather stay focused on the game that has all the bigger turnouts and gives us people who joined melee too late a new chance. It sucked not to be able to compete and play it to the bone with better players because you started playing later them. And its only right. But that's I'm not gonna let that happen to me again...

Mr.C

Smash Master
Starting late had nothing to do with how good a person was at Melee. Deep down inside you know scrubs that can't play Melee run to Brawl because its nub central.

EDIT: Kite, I'll probably enter teams and depending on what Steven does I'll team with you. I don't know if I'll be entering any of the other events. The only reason I would enter Brawl singles is to get top three, show how bad all these nubbies that take the game seriously actually are, but then again thats pushing it. =)

Mr.C

Smash Master
Melee isn't "dead", its just unplayed in Texas because hardly any of the skilled players actually care about the game anymore. "PICKING" up Brawl I found pretty funny, lol. A three year old could pick up Brawl and be capped at the technical depth the game provides.

I like both games. Brawl is fun to just mess around with when you are hanging with your friends and IMO nothing more. Isn't it kind of weird how all of the good Melee players that aren't just good at Melee but skilled at anything they wish to pick up, think Brawl is craptastic for competitive play? Its not really weird...its true. I would enjoy going to tournaments and actually enjoy playing Brawl but for me that is impossible, due to the fact I've been playing Melee competitively for a while and Brawl doesn't even compare. I just can't make myself downgrade.

I have nothing against people that enjoy playing Brawl competitively...just sometimes it irritates me when some of you think this game takes any skill to play at all. lol

bluezaft

The True Zaft
Dallas has weekly smashfests with 10-15 people with both Melee and Brawl, and usually more people are playing Melee than Brawl.

Melee is still very much alive in Dallas--there's actually a Melee-only tournament this monday and it will probably get 16-25+ entrants.

It might not be true for Dojo, but it's true that a lot of people enjoy Brawl just because they don't get stomped as hard as they would in Melee. It just takes so long to learn how to play at a competitive level in Melee. That's...not true at all for Brawl.

Dojo

Smash Champion
I like both too. I'm not disagreeing with any of you in melee being better than brawl. I loved it. The tech skill and speed and whatnot of it was exhilarating as hell.

But to say that it takes 0 skill to play brawl is false. If that was true you wouldn't being seeing hylian/sethlon/royr and the lot at the top of all recent tourney results in texas. You would be seeing random scrubs from only God knows where.

It truly does fail in comparison to melee. But that being said, it still does take some definite skill to be played at a higher level.

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
Look, you're both right and wrong.

Brawl IS a downgrade from Melee.

Melee, however, is one of the most advanced and technical games of all time. Just because Brawl is a downgrade does not mean it doesn't take any skill. It is quite foolish to say that it doesn't take any skill when I'd bet Hylian could 3 stock you easily. If it didn't take any skill, why are the rankings so consistent and some players always do better than others?

It is just a different kind of skill. It's more like 3rd Strike than it is Melee. You have to play smarter instead of more technical.

But I also understand where you're coming from not wanting to downgrade. I played competitive CS for many years and I played for many of the top teams in the world. When CS:S came out, most players refused to play it because they simplified so many things and made it easier for noobs to adapt. Same with the transition from competitive Halo 1 to Halo 2. CS was able to overcome the popularity of the newer version, but Halo was obviously unable to. I have a feeling that Melee will still be mildly popular in the sense that it will get a few multi-state tournaments a year, but you can't deny that a game like Brawl, which pulls in several 60+ tournaments a week in TX alone isn't dominating the scene.

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
It might not be true for Dojo, but it's true that a lot of people enjoy Brawl just because they don't get stomped as hard as they would in Melee. It just takes so long to learn how to play at a competitive level in Melee. That's...not true at all for Brawl.
I agree. Although Melee was almost a perfect competitive game, it only had one problem: the learning curve. It would have taken noobs an entire year just to catch up to my technical skill, let alone become smart at the game. That's why the scene was dying and Brawl took over so quickly.

It sucks, but that's how things go. I wish I could still play competitive Halo 1 :(

Mr.C

Smash Master
Melee, however, is one of the most advanced and technical games of all time. Just because Brawl is a downgrade does not mean it doesn't take any skill. It is quite foolish to say that it doesn't take any skill when I'd bet Hylian could 3 stock you easily. If it didn't take any skill, why are the rankings so consistent and some players always do better than others?
Why? because some people are just naturally skilled at doing things they want to be good at. I will say right now I am naturally better at fighting games than Hylian is. I hardly even play this game, let alone take it seriously or even try to get better. Hylian can practice 24/7, be 100% more experience at the game than I am but I guarantee when I get serious I will always be on an even playing field as all of the best in Texas. The same thing can be said about Melee, I played once a month? most of the time the only time I did play Melee was tournament day, I could go to a tournament and place top 5, I would never lose to Hylian, because I'm naturally better. Might sound cocky but its true. Same can be said comparing me to PC. I could practice 24/7, PC can pick up the controller without playing for years, get use to the game and still beat me. Thats just how it is.

It is just a different kind of skill. It's more like 3rd Strike than it is Melee. You have to play smarter instead of more technical.
I agree its a different type of skill, but you definitely do not need to play smarter as in compared to Melee.

But I also understand where you're coming from not wanting to downgrade. I played competitive CS for many years and I played for many of the top teams in the world. When CS:S came out, most players refused to play it because they simplified so many things and made it easier for noobs to adapt. Same with the transition from competitive Halo 1 to Halo 2. CS was able to overcome the popularity of the newer version, but Halo was obviously unable to.
Agreed.

I have a feeling that Melee will still be mildly popular in the sense that it will get a few multi-state tournaments a year, but you can't deny that a game like Brawl, which pulls in several 60+ tournaments a week in TX alone isn't dominating the scene.
I agree completely. Also, you have to understand the majority of the people that are attending Brawl tournaments are probably noob casual players that will quit in time when they realize you actually have to practice and take the game seriously if you want to get better. Brawl is dominating the scene only because it is a new game. Which is very sad :(

K1T3

Smash Lord
MrC really is too good. The only way I ever beat him if because he doesn't take the game seriously at all and picks random chars like Bowser, or Sheik, or Yoshi and I play the ever so gay MetaKnight and even then he can still win. At the very least he's certainly a better player than myself.
But I must agree that it does take some skill. You have to predict your opponent to an extent and space and things like that. But it's more along the lines of 1 part skill 2 or 3 parts a **** character.

Rob if you team with Fear I'm fine teaming with Roberto. I don't mind teaming with any of you, I just thought Fear and Roberto were teaming again since they did the last time.
Would you enter crews so we could do a Converse crew?
If you feel like entering singles then we can practice some tomorrow and you can think about playing a non Gdorf/Yoshi/Link/other not good character =P

PozerWolf

Smash Journeyman
Deep down inside you know scrubs that can't play Melee run to Brawl because its nub central.
Funny, because thats how I feel about Smash players who didn't bother playing other fighting games.

Not hatin' too much, I respect a few Smash players out there <3

Just sayin'.....

Kal

Smash Champion
Pozer, that is by far the least sensible criticism of the Melee community I've ever seen. Scrubs that can't play which fighting game run to Melee? Is there a horde of Melee players who complain about some other fighting game because they find it more difficult than Melee?

Dojo

Smash Champion
Funny, because thats how I feel about Smash players who didn't bother playing other fighting games.

Just sayin'.....
Yeah melee ***** any other fighting game competitively without a doubt. In my opinion any other game period. It was so fast paced and insane. I've just never enjoyed shooters though. So yeah.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Errgh, houston's proposed ride (tarzan) has work this weekend. Gabe/RoyR/Stiltz's cars are all broke down...I might be able to convince EmperorCesar to drive us.

If not, I'll probly just take a bus. One way or another :grrr: :smoke: :roll:

Every...single...time...you post...
Seriously, whenever I post on shoryuken/dustloop, I don't bash their community.

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
Melee/ Brawl own any other fighting game hands down the communities are better, the games themselves are better yes thats right BRAWL too is better. You should watch what you say you've made most the smash community uneasy already. Once again I would not stir up anything with the smash communities.
On another note I've heard that you played with the Javi twins in Mexico and knew that you couldnt be as good as them so you gave up with Melee... Now giving up on a game because you couldnt reach that level of skill.... Thats a bit odd how could one not be skilled enough at one game and try to be skilled at a more difficult one makes me wonder. Hmmm interesting.

Not hatin' too much but just letting you know. :D

PozerWolf

Smash Journeyman
Every...single...time...you post...
Seriously, whenever I post on shoryuken/dustloop, I don't bash their community.
Sorry man, I try to re-frame(?) from posting because of this reason.
There is just so many ignorant and rude people in the Melee/Brawl community, it gets annoying.

I've experience every community out there and know what they are all like.
Brawl/Melee would be the worse.

Not saying that everyone is like this (know some real cool people, you being one Seth), but most of them are.
It's not wonder why they have a rep that they do have now when it comes to the other communities.

Seriously, there is no need to keep treating your game like its the "best fighter ever". Thats just annoying how smash players keep presenting that as a fact over and over again from time to time.
You love Melee? Ok, keep that to yourself and stop expressing everything about it from time to time like if Melee is the only fighting game with "so-and-so" tricks/combos. It's been done before, and its been done better.

Not to mention the Melee people talking **** to the Brawl people in person? Now c'mon, how big of a douche can you be at that point? If you don't like Brawl, ok, then be a **** about it and insulting those who play Brawl by saying the dumbest ****.
Horrible...

Other communities have there down sides, but there not this bad nor do they get out of hand.

BTW, I'm judging from what I've seen for myself, not from random posts on message boards.

Is there a horde of Melee players who complain about some other fighting game because they find it more difficult than Melee?
Yes.
Happens more often than you think.

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
Truth is, a lot of the Melee players never expanded very much into other fighters. The same goes for a lot of Brawl players (not having another fighter on their resume) except now the opposite has happened. SRK has taken quite the interest in Brawl (for reasons I can't really comprehend considering their view on Melee), so players from other communities are joining the Brawl scene, and their knowledge of other fighting games and their communities upset or confuse most smash players.

Indeed, I have to agree with Pozer that running around saying Melee is better than EVERYTHING is kinda silly, but my theory is it has to do with what every (I know I'm speaking for every smash player out there) smasher has to deal with when he tells people that he goes to tournaments for Smash brothers. The game is viewed by many as either a kid's games, party game, or too simple, when at high level play, it's none of those things. How many players that didn't play know what wavedashing was? This in turns makes Smash players try to lash out in defense. This is why the Smash community was forged in the underground.

Kal

Smash Champion
Seriously, there is no need to keep treating your game like its the "best fighter ever". Thats just annoying how smash players keep presenting that as a fact over and over again from time to time.
You love Melee? Ok, keep that to yourself and stop expressing everything about it from time to time like if Melee is the only fighting game with "so-and-so" tricks/combos. It's been done before, and its been done better.
Obviously, this is an opinion. Insulting us for thinking our fighting game is the best is stupid when you come out and say "other games are better." Not only that, but Melee players are almost strictly confined to Smashboards. I see no problem with praising a game on a message board dedicated to that game.

Not to mention the Melee people talking **** to the Brawl people in person? Now c'mon, how big of a douche can you be at that point? If you don't like Brawl, ok, then be a **** about it and insulting those who play Brawl by saying the dumbest ****.
Horrible...
Do you really see that many players going out of their way to insult Brawl players in person? From what I've seen, most Melee players are not confrontational enough to do that.

BTW, I'm judging from what I've seen for myself, not from random posts on message boards.
Great to know you're handling things scientifically, and not just pulling things out of your ***.

Does "Hasty Generalization" mean anything to you?

Yes.
Happens more often than you think.
O RLY? Would you like to cite examples? I've never met a single Melee player that has ever expressed complaint in his inability to play other fighting games. Regardless, that isn't relevant.

What you're saying is that there is an analogy from Melee to Brawl as there is from Abitrary Fighter Nobody Gives A **** About to Melee. You're saying "people moved to Melee because they found other fighting games difficult."

This is bull ****. Melee is one of the more difficult to learn fighting games, and no one picks up Melee competetively because they find it easy.

Your entire argument, through all of your poorly written posts, has been an arbitrary, negative statement about the Melee community, followed by a supposed example of why, completed with "I've gathered this from what I've seen, and not just one post." That's not how it works. If you want to show a lesser moral standing on our part, then cite some evidence, some posts, or real examples. Notice the analogy between your argument and:

"Germans are really bad people. All they do is kill Jews and Blacks whenever they want. I'm judging from what I've seen for myself, not from random murders which happen to be performed by Germans."

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
So apparently I can't go...****.

Yes I'm changing the subject but I really don't give a ****.
Oh no, actually I hope it stays this way, ya know, ON TOPIC.

I was close to getting the fire department in here to douse the flame war we have going on.

Seriously, there are plenty of threads on SRK that have Brawl has part of the game lineup and I don't see anyone trying to bash the game. In fact, almost all of the tournaments on SRK have more than one game in the lineup, and no one bickers about one game over another. While MvC2 is considered by quite a few to be a ridiculously broken game, there are just as many who love the game and praise it's intricacy of making a team that works together. The people who don't like Marvel don't post how much they don't like Marvel, they stick to talking about their game.

That's the type of point Pozer is trying to make.

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
I like funnel cakes a lot. Their delicate texture and slight crisp easily beats the competition. Sometimes I accent my funnel cakes with a hint of powdered sugar. This gives it a slight advantage in the realm of batter-cooked treats. If I am feeling that my funnel cake is too simple, I can season it with a topping of blueberries and cream.

There really is no competition.

G@BE

Smash Lord
Sorry man, I try to re-frame(?) from posting because of this reason.
There is just so many ignorant and rude people in the Melee/Brawl community, it gets annoying.
You are kinda being that way towards us... sadly only over interwebs.

I've experience every community out there and know what they are all like.
Brawl/Melee would be the worse.
Then leave? Not everyone is a bad person here but if you think the community is that god awful then why stick around? hmm????

Not saying that everyone is like this (know some real cool people, you being one Seth), but most of them are.
It's not wonder why they have a rep that they do have now when it comes to the other communities.
But you are...

ya know the very first time i posted on Dustloop. I had a motha ****a IM me......

F-ing IM me.. to tell me im stupid and to stop posting in there forum... WOW

Yes " not everyone is like that " but maybe your misconception of the smash community was lead through something like that........... yep

PozerWolf

Smash Journeyman
ya know the very first time i posted on Dustloop. I had a motha ****a IM me......

F-ing IM me.. to tell me im stupid and to stop posting in there forum... WOW

Yes " not everyone is like that " but maybe your misconception of the smash community was lead through something like that........... yep
I'm not a fan of dustloop.com, so whatever they did I could careless.

However, it's like I said before.
I'm judging the community from how they are in person, not thru message boards. So sorry if any other site has hurt your e-feelings in some way.

In general, I don't know why I even bothered (maybe I'm that annoyed by the community), but of course this isn't the place to be posting about these issues.

With that said, no need to argue about the points of other communities.
But, there is no need to argue which is a better game (the Brawl vs Melee discussion). In general, thats perty much why I even brought up the community issue to begin with (now that I think about it, the Brawl vs Melee discussion seems to always trigger that, hmmm...).

G@BE

Smash Lord
I'm not really talking about the Brawl vs Melee game discussion :/

I'm sorry if your actual FEELINGS got hurt... I know plenty of people who are nice though.

The Dustloop thing was just to go ahead and bring up that there are other a-holes in the world besides the smash community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom