• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FINAL QUESTION for E for All Expo Attendees (Brawl: Failure or Success?)

Kimosabae

Smash Journeyman
BTW, Valoem's totally right, I played a lot of SC and SCII but no one I've met really plays SCIII. Now I play none of them. I hope this isn't the fate of smash.
Yup, I'll back the both of you on this one. I've been around the Calibur community a long time -- I was even a moderator there at one point. While SC2 had a great scene for a while, the 2G bug and whack balance hurt the scene dearly. SC3 ended up being worse and killed the scene almost completely. The competitive FG community doesn't even respect the series anymore -- and SC is undeniably of the fighting game genre.

I've said it time and time again over the years as Brawl's approach became reality: "I'm shocked at how confident this community is that Brawl will be competitive". As time passed, I came to realize that with only one truly competitive title under this community's belt, you all have yet to feel the sting of a watered down sequel that I've seen hurt so many others.

Maybe Brawl will be substantial enough to allow the community to endure, but I feel the game has some real potential to cripple this scene. I for one, will not be playing either game if Brawl turns out to be clown shoes.

-SynikaL

Takalth

Smash Ace
Holy crap, people are stupid. I read the first post and thought, "Cool, I want to see what people have to say.
Somehow, instead, a bunch of idiots who can't read but have somehow learned to crank out 90 posts per minute decided that what the original post actually said was "Please begin discussing marketability of Smash. Also, make sure you make stupid, uninformed attacks against competitive players. Most importantly, though, I want everyone to post here, ESPECIALLY if you did NOT attend E for All."

Yet another thread built on a great premise gets sent to the graveyard without getting anywhere.

Jumpinjahosafa

Smash Ace
You ignored alot of factors when you quoted the Gimpyfish Thread.

Mainly all of the new techniques discovered ALREADY.

I think this game is going to rock, you have to remember it was made by people who have played smash farrr more than anyone else possibly in the world.

Mr.C

Smash Master
This thread is filled with no skill noobs that have no idea how to play this game. So far Brawl is no where near as competitive as melee or any where near as deep. The game looks pretty though, lol. Hopefully Nintendo made the demo like they did so all the noobs can have fun until the real game comes out...then people actually have to LEARN how to play it.

BDAOutlaw

Smash Apprentice
I went to E for All so here's my impression.

It seems to me that Nintendo wants to lessen the importance of execution oriented skill in the game. What I mean by this is it wants the game to still have as much strategic depth as it can, but for the implementation of those strategies to be as accessible as possible. I think the change to automatic l-canceling demonstrates this philosophy quite strongly, as well as the automatic ledge-snaping and removal of the need to face the ledge. One could also say wavedashing was nixed due to this philosophy (since many people claim its very difficult to perform) buts that's just conjecture since the its removal was a consequence of the new dodging type.

My impression? I'm scared. I don't know if increased depth added by new characters and probably better balance of all the characters will make up for the blows done to the competitiveness of the game by the removal of the execution-oriented techniques I mentioned above, even only considering the strategic options they allowed (wavedashing helping many characters, allowing for spacing and mindgames; Ledge facing helping Mario/Doc, etc.).

Has anyone else heard of response to a demo/beta of a new competitive game where the best players responses weren't "omg this will be awesome" but "lets give it time?"?

BTW, Valoem's totally right, I played a lot of SC and SCII but no one I've met really plays SCIII. Now I play none of them. I hope this isn't the fate of smash.
Firsthand Input FTW, even though its of a demo...................so most of the input u get want be accurate in the first place......................basically you should just wait it out, and do something else till it comes out rather then trying to predict if a game has more depth(through its demo) then its predecessor's full version, cause theres a high chance that there will be a good amount of negative input.

Edit: Ding 100......yeah Journeyman bish

veil222

Smash Journeyman
Yet another thread built on a great premise gets sent to the graveyard without getting anywhere.
And you're backseat driving the effing bus, add something or don't post. If you had really read the thread you'd know that the initial post brought up alot of things that EVERYONE can discuss, and due to alot of updates from people who went to E4all, we now have more knowledge about the game to even try to answer a few things that are still not concrete. Quite running around getting your +1's on nothing but "dis thr3ad suX nd u peOpl r DUM!!111shift1".

Back on the effing subject, people keep neglecting to see that with every mechanic they've taken out they've added someone (mostly intentional this time too).

If we're talking about an awkwardly paced, aside from it's predaceccor, with balance issues, and shotty gameplay, I'd say you're talking about Melee. It's a great game, but not quite for the right reasons. Having a tournament scene for a game makes it's popularity explode, but the problem was it wasn't balanced, it didn't have all the features intended, and could have been done better. That's what they're doing with brawl.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
This thread is filled with no skill noobs that have no idea how to play this game. So far Brawl is no where near as competitive as melee or any where near as deep. The game looks pretty though, lol. Hopefully Nintendo made the demo like they did so all the noobs can have fun until the real game comes out...then people actually have to LEARN how to play it.
I think I know why casuals hate competitive players. lol

Anyways, 10,000 matches is not the most matches played in the world. Again lol

Edit: Takalth is very smart and usually adds to the conversation. Unfortunately, all these Brawl board posts he made with such logic and detail get by passed for dumb flaming ones.

The things that "replace" the old techs have not proven themselves very much. We do not know if we can cancel the tumble anymore, wavelanding and wavedashing can only be done by a few now, and we can no longer cancel b moves so alot of projectiles have become less good overall. The point is none of the stuff we have has proven itself in its usefulness, but I guess we will have to find out. Why do you think Brawl will be more balance? Casual games usually = less balance in general. If Sakurai doesn't care about the tourney scene, then why in the heck would he balance characters for 1 vs 1 anyways. Either he does or he doesn't. Again though, we will have to wait and see.

If you feel that Melee had shotty gameplay, then I guess it is your opinion but I liked it. :p

Mr.C

Smash Master
Two words

Pros fears losing
no pro's fear losing a great game due to the fact Nintendo wanted to make the noobs actually have a chance.

no matter what competitive smash players will have more skill then "noobs" why? because noobs suck.

why is smash so popular? because the meta game that it has created. Who created that meta game? the people who play this game competitively. Would any fighting game ever be played if there wasn't people who take the game serious? no.

I think I know why casuals hate competitive players. lol
well being one of the best texas smashers...it gets really old seeing people who have no idea how to play this game....talk about **** they have no idea what they are talking about lol

thats like some random high school basketball player trying to give pointers to Michael Jordan

Kimosabae

Smash Journeyman
I hope you have a reason to back up your assumption.
What "assumption" have I made? Stow the false propriety please. You sound foolish.

You're sorely mistaken if you think Hal's development team plays this game more than the average competitive player. Not even close. You obviously haven't been part of this whole "competitive gaming" thing very long. Outside of the game's code and algorithms, the average competitive player knows much more about a developer's game than they do. Why else would developers often employ the knowledge of their fan base when making sequels? Once a game with competitive potential reaches the public, it often transforms into something different entirely.

-SynikaL

NES n00b

Smash Master
I hope you have a reason to back up your assumption.

Maybe I shouldnt of posted here..
I didnt realize how much of an idiotic thread this is...
From this memory card that I got info from tournies (copied the data of another memory card), I see 13,555 matches. Ok, this was the memory card they bring to all their smash fests and tournies. Let's assume that only a fraction of those (bulk is smashfests) are for the same people.. Now, you have to count the tournies and the times they played on another system not using this memory card. This is not a very active region either so no. . . . . 10,000 matches is not the most anyone has played.

@Mr. C, I don't like casuals talking about things they don't know but what can you do. *shrug*

veil222

Smash Journeyman
well being one of the best texas smashers...it gets really old seeing people who have no idea how to play this game....talk about **** they have no idea what they are talking about lol

thats like some random high school basketball player trying to give pointers to Michael Jordan
You can be **** good at a game and not understand or have flawed opinions about how/why it's played, and what makes it good. Being good at something does give you a *better* understanding of it as a whole, but it sure as hell doesn't give you the right to utterly dismiss other people's thoughts. Totally counter-productive there.

Smash is a fighting game that I play because I like the characters, I'm a fan of the series, and it's a good party game. The competition aspect is fun but not to an overwhelming extent to me. I can wavedash just fine, shffl's are no problem and all that, but really I get tired of having to play the game to an extent that feels really artificial when compared to the origonal idea of the game.

I could be an exception... but I really don't think so, Nintendo isn't stupid, yeah, if they market to the casual crowd they will get more customers and more money. At the same time though, they don't have to worry about making an overly techinical game that's complex enough to add dificulty to the point where high end competitive play ensues, which is a load off them.

Besides.... do you really think Mario was ever meant to face off with link, pikachu, samus or any other Nintedo characters to such a technical extent? That's not what the style of the game suggests.

With all that said though, it really does seem that the dev team is *trying* to keep some of the competitive aspects of the game with some replacement techs and mechanics to compensate for the altered pace and focus. And so far, it looks like they're doing a good job.

I think it's going to be a good game, and no one will be able to comment with certainty about alot of things discussed on here until well after Brawl is released.

Mr.C

Smash Master
@Mr. C, I don't like casuals talking about things they don't know but what can you do. *shrug*
Steal their women.

You can be **** good at a game and not understand or have flawed opinions about how/why it's played, and what makes it good. Being good at something does give you a *better* understanding of it as a whole, but it sure as hell doesn't give you the right to utterly dismiss other people's thoughts. Totally counter-productive there.
Noob: Hey, Larry Bird just because you're amazing at basketball doesn't mean you have a better understanding of it as a whole.

Larry Bird: And that explains why I'm playing in the NBA professionally and you're not
=[

But I'm not dismissing other peoples thoughts. It just gets annoying when you have people that do not understand anything about how in depth melee actually is...things a casual will never understand unless they take the time and practice to understand them. Why are competitive players better? because we have spent a lot of time and practice learning techniques, strategies that other people don't even know exist.

Monshou_no_Nazo

Smash Journeyman
I don't think the change in controls to make performing actions easier will dumb down the game. In fact, it might make it more deep and allow the megacore players to perform actions they couldn't dream of doing in Melee thanks to freed up hands and fingers.

Shishou

Smash Apprentice
Brawl lacks L-cancel and Wavedash, therefore it is not competitive?

So the only way a game can be competitive is if little advanced techniques that nearly every competitive person does anyways is still in the game? That is dumb.

Jumpinjahosafa

Smash Ace
What "assumption" have I made? Stow the false propriety please. You sound foolish.

You're sorely mistaken if you think Hal's development team plays this game more than the average competitive player. Not even close. You obviously haven't been part of this whole "competitive gaming" thing very long. Outside of the game's code and algorithms, the average competitive player knows much more about a developer's game than they do. Why else would developers often employ the knowledge of their fan base when making sequels? Once a game with competitive potential reaches the public, it often transforms into something different entirely.

-SynikaL
So you're saying that if you take a bunch of gamers, and somehow bestow them with the knowledge of how to program video games, they will make a better game than actual programmers?

If that was true, there would be tons of better games out at the moment.

All i'm saying is trust the programmers with their job, and don't try to act like you can do better.

Also i'm really not digging the amount of people who think they are higher than others because they THINK they know so much about someone.

Get the **** off your high horses.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Steal their women.
That is a good option.

About lowering technical skill to make it more deep. No, not at all. Technical stuff allows for more options and more strats when you learn them. It makes your character have more options to do because you can do different things with your tech skill. For example, with Yoshi's DJC, I can edge hop and shoot eggs rapidly, can combo much better, can use reverse nair to retreat while protecting myself, can change my falling speed drastically to take my enemy by suprise, and I can use reverse DJC tricks with nair and fair to tech chase. With the removal of DJC with Yoshi, I can use Double Jump plus nair to recover and maybe use double jump to nair early so it will be harder to knock me when I am chasing you in the air. As you can see, taking away the DJC, which by the way is a tech skill, did not add my options by freeing my hands. There are more things but eh. You see my point.

Edit: Guy above me, it is not that competitive people know how to program. It is that not only do they know what other competitive players want, they also know the mechanics of the game so well as to suggest tweaks and balancing things.

Mr.C

Smash Master
Brawl lacks L-cancel and Wavedash, therefore it is not competitive?

So the only way a game can be competitive is if little advanced techniques that nearly every competitive person does anyways is still in the game? That is dumb.
Brawl does not lack Lcanceling (Lag canceling) it just has a different way of being done. And that way happens to make the game less competitive. It takes away a lot of things.

Removing Advance Techniques will be... well... just Smash. Its not just about "Technicalities", its about "Advanced Technicalities". It's what separates the casual gamer to the expert gamer. Just because Advanced Techniques are in the game, DOES NOT mean that the casual gamer cannot enjoy Smash. That is what makes Smash such a unique and great game. It's tons of fun for people who don't know anything about advanced techs, but at the same time its just as much fun for players who spend countless hours training and practicing advanced techs.
A good point. Smash already attracts casual gamers. The constant chaos from items, free for alls.... etc

It is a fun game that can be played for a very long time. But what casuals don't understand is
you don't HAVE to learn the advanced techniques if you don't want to, regardless you will have fun either way. No one is asking you to join the competitive smash scene.

Competitive players like games that take skill, hours of practice and are very in depth. Melee is exactly that. Learning these things and becoming very good at a game is self rewarding. We like how melee is played right now. Because it is by far the most in depth fighting game ever made.

Generally, the advance techs are there for players to find if they want a deeper experience. But if you just want to play, you don't need 'em. This way, it appeals to many different types of people.
It is unfair for casual players to say OMG TAKE OUT LCANCELING MAKE THE GAME EASIER WDING IS BROKEN!!!! If you have fun playing the game without these things then you don't have to learn them.

For competitive players a deeper game = more fun.

Megachuk

Smash Ace
Tons of people have played melee for years without Lcancelling, WDing, SWDing, waveshining, or pillaring AND NEVER EVEN KNEW THE DIFFERENCE. Why not put advanced techniques in the game, casual players wont even know it exists...

Big Burn

Smash Lord
I concur with Mr C completely. If nintendo left advanced techniques in the game it wouldn't hurt anyone. It would be a win win situation. noobs would play with noobs and competitive players would play with competitive players... thats all there is to it... if a noob decided they actually wanted to be good they would take the time to get good and learn the advanced techniques. going with the basketball analogies... dumbing down brawl from melee to decrease the discrepancy between noobs and pro players would the be the equivalent to letting people use mini trampolines in the NBA to let everyone dunk...

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Hate to ask something off-topic, but if Melee is perfect the way it is, and 'pros' don't care about any new items they will never use or any new stages that aren't Final Destination-ish, and only the same top tier characters would be good enough anyway, why are there complaints about Brawl, when there will always be Melee to keep playing?

NES n00b

Smash Master
Hate to ask something off-topic, but if Melee is perfect the way it is, and 'pros' don't care about any new items they will never use or any new stages that aren't Final Destination-ish, and only the same top tier characters would be good enough anyway, why are there complaints about Brawl, when there will always be Melee to keep playing?
First of all, read the beginning of the thread. The competitive scene will DIE if Brawl is a failure for competitive play.

Second of all, we want a new game too that is DEEPER than Melee. I would love a Melee expansion pack thing with more characters, better balance, more techs, but alas. However, I am looking foward to Brawl and will see what I can do to break it. :chuckle:

A question for casual players, if casual players play other casuals players and do not attend tournies, why do alot of them complain about advance techs?

mastr0fmyd0main3

Smash Journeyman
That's a good thing IMHO. Wavedash was clearly not how the game was supposed to be played.

Sakurai took the glitch out because that is not how he meant his game to run. If he wanted wavedashing, he would impiment an easy button combination to do so.

Since he implimented no such combo... It is clearly an exploit.

I say that with all logic. I know how to wavedash AND how effective it can be in certain situations. However, anyone with any sort of logic can see that it was not meant to be used like it is.

Airdodging was supposed to be just that: A dodge done in mid-air. Not an animation where your character slides backward or forward.

Brawl without the majority of 'advanced' techniques has taken so long to perfect because Sakurai is FORCING everyone to play his game how it was meant to be played.

It sounds bad, but wouldn't you do the same thing if you saw people abusing the fighting engine of your game? All of the people you see playing it are playing it using glitches, exploits and the sort? I certainly would create a better game, eliminating glitches and exploits.

Brawl is just that. Melee perfected, with no exploits or glitches. (to our knowledge)
Ok, you're a fool. First of all, wavedashing may very well have spawned the competetive scene for melee. Second, smash is not a game about "button combinations." If it were, it'd be a different fighting game. Instead, it revolves around combining a ton of simple moves to make a very complicated and deep game; for example, to wavedashing, you combine a jump and an air dodge. You were not in the freaking development room, so don't talk like wavedashing was an accident. Obviously there is a reason why they didn't remove it when they found it.

Man you are dumb. All glitches are banned from competitive play. Wavedashing is not a glitch. Furthermore, everything in the game is an "exploitation." L-cancelling, wavedashing, air-dodging, teching, dashdancing--you're taking advantage of the depth of the game, and combining all of those techniques into what the player views as the best possible way to win. Sakurai certainly meant for us to use every technique implemented in the game to our advantage. If you didn't exploit the game you would be terrible, which you most likely are, in which you case you should not be talking about this.

Anyone who does not consider themselves a competetive smasher really shouldn't be on smashboards.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
First of all, read the beginning of the thread. The competitive scene will DIE if Brawl is a failure for competitive play.

Second of all, we want a new game too that is DEEPER than Melee. I would love a Melee expansion pack thing with more characters, better balance, more techs, but alas. However, I am looking foward to Brawl and will see what I can do to break it. :chuckle:

A question for casual players, if casual players play other casuals players and do not attend tournies, why do alot of them complain about advance techs?
Well that's unfortunate. But you've got the right attitude, Brawl's got all that good stuff, and the challenge of finding new techs (maybe).

I'm not complaining about advance techs, and I'm a casual player, but I do hate when people are making judgments about Brawl when it isn't even coming out for another three months.

Mr.C

Smash Master
Because we steal their women.

Melee isn't perfect the way it is. Myself and the rest of the competitive community would like to see more balance between characters... so more then 5-7 characters can actually be played competitively without putting yourself in a disadvantage.

We would also like to have a game that is far more deeper then what Melee already is. And just to let you know, most pros don't even like FD lols.

Takalth

Smash Ace
If you had really read the thread you'd know that the initial post brought up alot of things that EVERYONE can discuss,
I will concede that there were enough things said in the first post to spawn other discussions, however, the prime intent of the first post was very clear, and that was to get feedback on a specific question from people who were there. However, that intent was entirely lost due to people taking a particular aspect of the first post and running with it while ignoring the overall intent.

messiahfreak2000

Smash Apprentice
NNID
messiahfreak2000
man this is intense. i've been following this thread and what and intense read. i just recently joined to engage myself in such healthy discussions. my status says noob but i've been playing since smash first arrived so if i may, i'll post a few thoughts.

now everyone is talking about lack of techs being good or not. i know none of these techs (i know how to perform them but have not yet perfected them). that doesn't necessarily mean i'm a noob. i can bet i could probably bet either i could whup half your butts or put up a good fight despite the fact you may know techs. does this mean techs are useless? far from it! but consider this:

ever notice how smash bros is ridiculously simple when compared to other fighting games? granted there are a few moves that add depth (that aren't tricks/glitches) but on the whole, its a simple game: simple easy to use attacks coupled with random craziness. those who know these techs and consider themselves pros, bravo! points for your dedication! does it make you a better fighter? not necessarily in my opinion. all it means is you know how the system works and can exploit i more than others. my little brother is an insane fighter knows none of these techs. he's refined fox to the point where he's simply put: a manbeast. the way his reactions and mind works blows me away, granting him victory virtually every battle. his claim to fame is that every person he's met the first time, he hasn't lost the first one on one match.

in regards to brawl and it being simple : it makes sense. every smash game thus far has been simple in concept and execution, thats what made the game fun in the first place! thats why most of us were drawn to it to begin with. a simple concept, creative use of features, added the the sheer craziness of it all was an award winning formula for smash bros.

the sense of elitism if one knows techs seems kinda ridiculous. sure its a neat and effective trick, but if i can figure a counter to it, then whats the point? (which is how my little bro plays). techs does not mean better, it simply shows dedication (or lack of a social life :))

end of thought

FightingGameGuy

Smash Apprentice
Wow, you totally ignored the initial post.

As many of us have pointed out, the Soul Calibur competitive community DIED when Soul Calibur 3 didn't improve the series. While Smash Bros almost certainly won't die in the same way, the competitive community very could be seriously harmed.

Simple logic backs this up. If Smash Bros. fans are split between melee and brawl, any event which attempts to draw on them will gather fewer people. It will be tougher to hold a melee tournament since fewer people will be interested, and it will be less rewarding to hold a brawl tournament because many will think less of the the tournament and its results, pointing out that melee is a more competitive game. The result is that both fractured communities will lose.

P.S. You say the 'pros' think melee is perfect but then mention that they find the character balance highly tiered and the stages and items atrocious ...

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
P.S. You say the 'pros' think melee is perfect but then mention that they find the character balance highly tiered and the stages and items atrocious ...
Sorry, should've said the advance techs that make competitive Melee what it is. Since they're different in Brawl, and who knows what else you can do, why not step out of the comfort zone and take a new challenge?

Mr.C

Smash Master
Pros aren't good because of tricks/glitches. They are good because they understand the game in and out.

You might know how to play poker but when going up against a professional you will lose 100% of the time. Why? because he understands things you do not. He can see things you don't even know exist. A professional will put you in situations that you don't even know are happening...competitive players will do something knowing every possibility and outcome that will occur not just from what they are doing but guessing on what will happen in the future.

Michael Blaine

Smash Apprentice
Great post, valoem. I too am worried for the future of Smash. I can only hope the phony "brawl perfection project" is mainly utilized to perfect the competitive elements of this game. It's obvious they've spent more than enough time on features to dazzle critics, soccer moms, and the attention-deficient.

If not....

valoem

Smash Journeyman
Pros aren't good because of tricks/glitches. They are good because they understand the game in and out.

You might know how to play poker but when going up against a professional you will lose 100% of the time. Why? because he understands things you do not. He can see things you don't even know exist. A professional will put you in situations that you don't even know are happening...competitive players will do something knowing every possibility and outcome that will occur not just from what they are doing but guessing on what will happen in the future.
It's mathematically impossible to win at poker 100% of time because as much skill is involve there is still luck. Other than that I agree with everything else you said :). I think someone need to talk to Nintendo about final testing. The game isn't out yet there is still hope.

messiahfreak2000

Smash Apprentice
NNID
messiahfreak2000

exactly. i fail to understand the fuss of lack of techs. training to be a pro is depth in and of itself.

Jeremy092387

Smash Cadet
I don't think that Brawl will be a failure. I am not sure to the competitive scene, but in general, I seriously doubt it. I really don't play professionally. The main charm of the Super Smash Bros. series is the fact that it has all of Nintendo's history embedded into a single game. Unlocking characters, listening to remixes of the tracks that I've grown fond of, answering the question of "Hey, what would happen if Samus were to fight Ganondorf?" and stuff like that. That's what makes me love the series so much. I will definitely see it as a success, no doubt., regardless of what's been taken out.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Mr.C and Nes Noob are rocking this thread.

Honorable mentions to Micheal blaine, TC, and Synikal.

I love it when people with knowledge of other communities and actual fighting game depth make intelligent post.

Warms my heart.

<3 Big Rick too.

^_^

D

Deleted member

man this is intense. i've been following this thread and what and intense read. i just recently joined to engage myself in such healthy discussions. my status says noob but i've been playing since smash first arrived so if i may, i'll post a few thoughts.

now everyone is talking about lack of techs being good or not. i know none of these techs (i know how to perform them but have not yet perfected them). that doesn't necessarily mean i'm a noob. i can bet i could probably bet either i could whup half your butts or put up a good fight despite the fact you may know techs. does this mean techs are useless? far from it! but consider this:

ever notice how smash bros is ridiculously simple when compared to other fighting games? granted there are a few moves that add depth (that aren't tricks/glitches) but on the whole, its a simple game: simple easy to use attacks coupled with random craziness. those who know these techs and consider themselves pros, bravo! points for your dedication! does it make you a better fighter? not necessarily in my opinion. all it means is you know how the system works and can exploit i more than others. my little brother is an insane fighter knows none of these techs. he's refined fox to the point where he's simply put: a manbeast. the way his reactions and mind works blows me away, granting him victory virtually every battle. his claim to fame is that every person he's met the first time, he hasn't lost the first one on one match.

in regards to brawl and it being simple : it makes sense. every smash game thus far has been simple in concept and execution, thats what made the game fun in the first place! thats why most of us were drawn to it to begin with. a simple concept, creative use of features, added the the sheer craziness of it all was an award winning formula for smash bros.

the sense of elitism if one knows techs seems kinda ridiculous. sure its a neat and effective trick, but if i can figure a counter to it, then whats the point? (which is how my little bro plays). techs does not mean better, it simply shows dedication (or lack of a social life :))

end of thought
Ummmm you have some good points when it comes to smash in general, but i disagree about techs. Yes, you may be able to beat people who use adv. techs while u do not, BUT, if the pweson can apply them correctly to his game, he will be able to defeat you. I remember, i thought i was good since i had been playing smash since it came out, but techs helped my game alot. When i didnt know about techs, i had beaten every single person i had ever met in smash, but when i learnt about the competative smash community, i was blown away by how bad i really was. Not sure how good you are, but if u can use techs to enhance your game, u can become much bettr. Ok i'm done.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
But to which extend this "simplified controls" takes out the depth out of the game?

Im on the "we need tech skill in Brawl" crew... but we need to understand important aspects of Melee. We all know that this game was kind of rushed. The devs didnt has the time to see what was good or bad, what was overpowered and what not. There is no better proof than the unbalanced Melee's roster, where an onminous little being named Fox coexist with poorly created characters like bowser and mewtwo. Yes this is our beloved melee, a game rushed, full of things that were not meant to be that way and that we loved to exploit/master.
Even when some of this "mistakes" ended being interesting and filled the game with options, at the same time , since they were not planned properly, damaged the game as a whole. Im talking about the techs used in Melee.

There were techs like L canceling and short hop, which were meant to be there,...but most of the things we used were not meant to work that way. The WD and B canceled moves were not meant to work that way. For example, is it rational for falco to cut "magically" his movement by slamming himself to the floor?. I know is a game but things like this are not "polished" for the developers. The WD that we all love and use, was a weird move also. Even when it cannot be called a bug, because it was done with actual game physcis, it was a move not meant to work that way and that was exploited by us. Even this is still not excuse to remove this movement, but the fact that it didnt worked the same way for every character, and was indeed very difficult to "officialize" is more than enuff to take it out. (for it to be fair all the chars needed the same traction and this would just be dumb).

Now letss see whats happening in Brawl. The dev team simplifies most of the techniques to be done easier by everyone. They exclude WD and slow down the pace of the game to an extend. My main concern here is the pace of the game being "tuned down"but this sole reason is not enuff to say the game lost depth. Most of the fights we saw on the demo were fought by casual players who are not accustomed to play at fast speed. Some of the smashboards pros that fought where not accustomed to the Controller and everyone was not accostumed to this new feel of the game. This means that we were not able to see Brawl at his full speed and potential in the hands of a pro player trained in the game. So speed is not a real issue here. Most of the players were moving at almost the same speed in melee but with overall improved floatiness in the air.

The roster balance is not a real issue, is a plus. Yes, i know some characters were nerfed like peach and fox, but we all know this nerfs were coming, and they did it in a good way, tuning them down but at the same time improving other aspects of their game. Players Like Bowser and Pikachu received boosts, closing the gap between characters even more, which was IMO the real failure of Melee.

We all know that almost the whole offensive game of Melee was based around SHFFL, and the tech is still in Brawl, in different fashion but still there. Maybe it took out some of our old options but we still dont know what new improvements this change can offer.

The easier edgehogging is not a curse, is an advantage for pro and casual players. You will say that it takes out depth of the game... well in part it takes out the learning curve of this move and overall time used to learn this, but is almost the same for us. I wanna know how many pro players here had problems doing an edgehog?. The bright side is that this is one less concern for us. Not so experienced players can now used this option easier to cope with pro players, closing the gap. The new speed at that this move can be performed can also bring new mindgames to Brawl.

In Melee, even when it was a very technical game, not all the characeters relied on pure tech skills to win. The most affected players with the overall slowiness of the game are Falco, fox and C falcon, which relied on speed and a lot of tech skill, and in the case of Falco and Fox, which relied on Broken moves all over the place PLUS an overwhelming speed unable to be handled by most characters. All the others characters, even when they were technical, are not hurt to an extend to simply downgrade the whole exprience of Brawl.

In summary, even when is very clear that Brawl was planned to be"more user friendly", i really doubt this will take out the competitiveness of the game completely. I dont have any problems with pressing some less buttons and losing a little of "complexity", if this opens the door to a whole new experience and possibilities, then so be it. The only things that can definitely bring down the game are exploits, broken characters , broken moves and an unbalanced physics. If all this issues are fixed and the overall mechanics of the game are fair for everyone, I really think this game can have a big chance of being as competitive, if not very near to how Melee was, but this time in the way how it should be. We all love Melee, but sadly the game was far from perfect , even with all its competitiveness. Also, They as developers cannot work on a new game based in the exploits and crazy ****s of the previous.

I want a game to be fair for everyone, not a game which is just fun for 6 or 7 characters, you get my point?. If i need to sacrifice some of the technicality of Melee, to play a game much funnier and balanced than it, ill accept the deal more than happy.

In the end , We are basing our discussion in something that we in fact do not understand and dont know. We cannot guess how much potential Brawl will have with 4 days of playing. Even when there are alarms everywhere, we cannot assure that things will go in one way or another.

Peace.

Gavisi

Smash Rookie
I never played Melee competitively, so I'd like to ask: is there ever a time in Melee where you have the option to L-Cancel, but it's better to choose not to? Decreasing your lag time sounds like something you'd always want to do. Thus, its removal from the game is actually a good thing: it's one less technical thing to worry about, giving you more ability to focus on the other technical parts of the game. If everyone was going to L-Cancel every L-Cancellable move, automating the lag reduction (or removing it from the game) makes things easier for everyone.

Again, I have no knowledge of whether or not there are strategic uses of L-Cancel.

Mr.C

Smash Master
B cancels were in both 64 and Melee. You could also reverse B's but in Brawl both were removed. Hopefully that was only for the demo.

Top Bottom