• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Final Destination: Workshop General social thread

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
As I just said, in my case it just annoys the **** out of me. I guess that's because I really rely on surviving to ridiculous percentages in order to win. (That's partially because I main Lucario, but I also need it for any character I use.) Not being able to midair dodge to cancel some momentum basically makes me an easy win for my opponent. Even with DI, I can't survive nearly long enough. (I usually die at 110% - 120%, instead of my accustomed 160% - 190% (even when playing with Brawl+ except hitstun off, I survive that long on average).) I rely on outlasting my opponents.

...I'm the textbook definition of noob, aren't I?
Nah. You just like something different. The average life span is around 110-140% in Brawl+.

The best thing you can do is Dont Get Hit and be more aggressive. Being an aggressive lucario with proper spacing usually increases how long you leave rather than what percents you die at if you catch my drift. :V

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
Ow. I slipped and fell trying to get to the phone, and the person hang up before I could pick up anyways. Awesome.
If you play defensively 100% of the time (and with a vBrawl strategy in mind), then of course you're going to find hitstun annoying. I just recommend playing more offensively and try to stop relying on living so long to win. Playing defensively on Brawl+ isn't impossible, so you can still play like this, it's just that the game overall is offensive most of the time.

Try playing offensively, and you'll see why hitstun is so important.
I do play offensively. Always have, even in Brawl. The only time you'll see me truly play defensively is at 150% or higher. I STILL don't like hitstun.
Rather, leafbarrett, there's no reason for you to be playing Brawl+ in the first place. Remember that the primary purpose of Brawl+ isn't to make it balanced, but rather to make the game fun and less campy. If you like the defensive and hitstun-less play, you might want to try out Balanced Brawl or stay with normal Brawl.
The thing is, the hitstun is the ONLY thing I don't like about Brawl+. I like every other change.

Nah. You just like something different. The average life span is around 110-140% in Brawl+.

The best thing you can do is Dont Get Hit and be more aggressive. Being an aggressive lucario with proper spacing usually increases how long you leave rather than what percents you die at if you catch my drift. :V
In my case, living to high percentages actually translates to a very long survival. Normally, as long as I'm not being a ******, I'm pretty good at avoiding hits. If I didn't survive for long periods of time, how would I be able to outlast my opponent? (Besides, the power boost from very high damage is considerable. :3)
Brawl+ is for aggressive players.
Already addressed this.

Why exactly are you all so dead-set that you need hitstun to play offensively?

Arkaether

Smash Ace
Because without hitstun, you get no reward for landing a hit besides a little bit of damage. The risk for playing aggressively is getting read/baited/punished, whereas defensive play is much harder to read/bait/punish. If you get no reward for the risk, there's no risk/reward ratio and that's, well, BAD.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
I thought the point was to make it more balanced, not to make it more like the other games.
The key argument for Brawl+ is that we believe that Brawl is inherently flawed. Several key mechanics present in both of the first two games in the Smash series were not present in Brawl, and Brawl+ sets out to reverse these changes. Hitstun is one such change.

Also, character balance is a goal equal in importance but second chronologically...what's the point of fixing the characters if the engine isn't right yet?

CloneHat

Smash Champion
Brawl is seen as something of a flop, so we aren't trying to balance out Brawl. We're giving it back the traditional engine, and balancing that out. It plays more like Melee/64, but the Brawl aspect keeps it easier than those games.

This is basically what Brawl would have been if it hadn't gotten a complete overhaul.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Why exactly are you all so dead-set that you need hitstun to play offensively?
Because playing offensive with no hitstun (or an extreme lack of hitstun) warrents constantly high risk/low reward ratios unless you're Metaknight and/or you just dont like playing gay.

You can play offensively in Brawl, but it pays MORE to camp and/or be extremely defensive and abuse your safest pokes/moves and keep yourself as unpunishable as possible on a move by move basis.

Because of this, it's a more logical choice to play defensively/campy at higher level play to better help your chance at victory. Only reason why you dont see players like M2K do that is because of personal preference. :V

• All Traditional fighters have hitstun.
  • Hitstun creates legitimate combos (ie not strings)
  • Combos are more rewarding/potent than pokes/strings by doing more damage at a time.
  • The reward/risk ratio is more proportionate
  • Thusly, it pays to be aggressive in fighters with hitstun.

You see the logic here? Hitstun creates opportunities to be aggressive without being punished. No one wants to be punished. :V

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
On another note, I'll make sweet sweet internet love to someone if they can find me a code for Tales of Symphonia 2 that removes the level 50 level cap on the cast. Really I just need it on Zelos, the best character in the history of ever.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Happy burfday to me :V

And a new codeset for me to play with too!
Now if only I could say it was released for my burfday... :V

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
This is why everyone should get BootMii and Preloader.

I could **** up my system menu with a bad banner, and it wouldnt mean **** as I could just use BootMii to restore a previous back up of my NAND or if I dont have my SD card for BootMii, I can use another SD card and just use preloader. :V

ToxiCrow

Smash Ace
This is why everyone should get BootMii and Preloader.

I could **** up my system menu with a bad banner, and it wouldnt mean **** as I could just use BootMii to restore a previous back up of my NAND or if I dont have my SD card for BootMii, I can use another SD card and just use preloader. :V
the crazy thing is tho, i had bootmii on my SD card. but everytime i put it in, WadManger came up and i didnt know what i was doing and i ended up uninstalling the system menu:lick:
Fail.

but i called nintendo and told them that there was a power surge & that caused my wii to stop working. they told me they'd fix it for free;)

Sukai

Smash Champion
the crazy thing is tho, i had bootmii on my SD card. but everytime i put it in, WadManger came up and i didnt know what i was doing and i ended up uninstalling the system menu:lick:
Fail.

*snort* *cough* *choke*---hahaha....WHAT!????

but i called nintendo and told them that there was a power surge & that caused my wii to stop working. they told me they'd fix it for free;)
Then what's the problem?

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
I'm disappointed in BootMii honestly.

I have it just because it makes the Wii brickproof.

But I have yet to see a fix to a bug that essentially defeats the point of using it (other then protecting the Wii).
If I try to boot up the HBC from BootMii it gives me a very weird pixelated screen of the HBC loading an SD card. Just freezes my Wii and I have to restart it.

Sure it's great protecting my Wii, but the real reason I wanted BootMii was to never need to use my WiiMote/simplicity of getting to the HBC. I hope it gets fixed soon, because its a real shame.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Lolwut. wtf is with your **** then.

I have bootmii and preloader and I never get that ****.

Also, if you dont want to use the remote to navigate your chanels, get WiiMu

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/WiiMU

V:
No idea... Running a downgraded 3.2 menu, but I have friends running 3.2 and it works fine for them.

Only thing I can think of is an issue with my SD card, but I'll check out WiiMU and give that a shot before I go out and buy a new SD for BootMii to hopefully work.

shinyspoon42

Smash Journeyman
I wasn't sure where to go to ask, so I'll ask here.

I'm an artist and a regular brawl player, and I thought it might be really fun to make my own textures, but I have no idea how to go about that.

Top Bottom