• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fighting Game Discussion

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Mortal Kombat and SF are easier to learn imo than Tekken 6.

Tekken's not too hard to learn if you don't really want to play it seriously. The early Tekken games are much easier to learn than everything after Tekken 4 (when they started putting in wallbounds/floorbounds).

If you want a good game to learn Tekken with (and have a PS3), wait a few months and get Tekken Hybrid and learn to play Tekken Tag Tournament. It's the basic Tekken mechanics without complicated wallbounds, and it comes with a demo of Tekken Tag Tournament 2, which is based off the Tekken 6 engine and has wallbounds and stuff. You could also just get Tekken Tag on PS2 if you can find it.

Get Low

Smash Ace
Mortal Kombat and SF are easier to learn imo than Tekken 6.

Tekken's not too hard to learn if you don't really want to play it seriously. The early Tekken games are much easier to learn than everything after Tekken 4 (when they started putting in wallbounds/floorbounds).

If you want a good game to learn Tekken with (and have a PS3), wait a few months and get Tekken Hybrid and learn to play Tekken Tag Tournament. It's the basic Tekken mechanics without complicated wallbounds, and it comes with a demo of Tekken Tag Tournament 2, which is based off the Tekken 6 engine and has wallbounds and stuff. You could also just get Tekken Tag on PS2 if you can find it.
Just looked at the trailer for Tekken Hybrid and it looks pretty boss, but unfortunately I don't have a PS3. :/ I no longer have a PS2 either, so I'm screwed on playing Tekken Tag (which I actually played for the first time in an arcade where there was a Melee tourney the other day), and any of the older Tekkens. I stumbled upon the trailer for Tekken Tag 2 about a month ago when I was browsing on Youtube, which is why I developed an interest in the series. So I think I just may buy a used copy of Tekken 6 and see if I like it. If I don't, I'll just return it. If I do, then I'm definitely getting Tekken Tag 2, because that game looks like it's going to be legit.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Tekken 6 and Tekken Tag Tournament have the same engine.

If you don't like one, you probably won't like the other.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
/agree with everything gates said

I would like to learn how to play T6, but I just don't have the time for it. I also find the inputs really strange.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
The only inputs I have trouble with anymore in Tekken are the while rising moves.

And EWGF/EWHF, but those are in like a 2 frame window, so I'm not worried about it.

disasterABDUL

Smash Ace
I have a question about the Tekken series. It looks like a lot of fun and I'm thinking about buying it, but I'm wondering if each individual character in the game has like, a gazillion different button combinations for combos and special moves like in Soul Calibur. If so, then I probably won't buy the game, because the amount of options each character in the Soul Calibur games has was just a little too overwhelming for me.
What?
Soul calibur doesn't have a lot of combos and most of the characters have very similar combos as far as execution
Tekken is the same way, like most characters have the basic 121 combo
Light punch, heavy punch, light punch.
Tekken isn't hard like gates said, it's only otg combos and wall combos that may be difficult.

:phone:

Get Low

Smash Ace
What?
Soul calibur doesn't have a lot of combos and most of the characters have very similar combos as far as execution
Tekken is the same way, like most characters have the basic 121 combo
Light punch, heavy punch, light punch.
Tekken isn't hard like gates said, it's only otg combos and wall combos that may be difficult.

I don't exactly mean combos that are composed of a bunch of single hits stringed together. I used to own Soul Calibur 2, and I dreaded how each character had this enormous drop-down list of different techniques and things they could perform, while in a game like SSF4 AE, every character only has an average of 4 or 5 special techniques, along with 2 ultras, and the combos you pretty much have to discover for yourself by stringing different hits together.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Tekken definitely has that sort of list of combos in its command list.

Depending on the character, they could have anywhere from 50 to 150 different combinations of button presses.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
It's really not that complicated. All they do is list which of their moves gatling into others. All this means is that you'll have to spend about 20 minutes in training mode looking up moves instead of 5.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I heard about that, hopefully it works well enough for those that can use it until CC comes out.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Oh my. For someone like me who enjoys simplicity in the games they play, that is scary, lol.
It's not that bad actually. A lot of moves will actually be variants on one move. One thing to do is to organize the moves like such:

LP+ RP -> LP, RP
| RK
| LK
| Hold Down

I need to do this one of these days for Xiaoyu, Alisa, and maybe King or someone else. I'm waiting to try out Julia Jaycee out in TTT2 along with the new Jun (except for a little bit over a month ago, haven't played her in over a decade).

Crusayer

Smash Lord
Omg, it's beautiful.

The netplay is surprisingly smooth. I played at 4 delay with a friend from US through hamachi. I'm sure it can be even better through direct connection.

You guys can play your respective moons now! Let's play some melty blood actress again!

Thino

Smash Master
Omg, it's beautiful.

The netplay is surprisingly smooth. I played at 4 delay with a friend from US through hamachi. I'm sure it can be even better through direct connection.

You guys can play your respective moons now! Let's play some melty blood actress again!
well that is some good news, I'm gonna give it a try someday , before MBAACC

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I liked Ms. Fortune's disign from the begining, but I really liked what I saw in the video.

I'm really hyped for Skullgirls now that I've found a character I want to play.

Thino

Smash Master
mmmh I expected Ms. Fortune to be more Dhalsim like

but I guess I'm okay with what I've seen, its an interesting character

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Mike Z tells us why he's the head of programming.
http://shoryuken.com/2011/10/05/skullgirls-ms-fortune-scores-a-decap-attack/

Puns aside, Miss Fortune doesn't really look like my kind of character, but I still like her design. Her head attacks remind me a lot of Megaman's soccer ball from MvC2, and her up kicks are huge and are gonna be great as an assist.
I think her design's neat, but I'm not the zoning type, and I'm not the biggest fan of essentially controlling two characters. Still, it's a great design.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Yo fighter people

Trying to get some rep for a good doujin fighter. Don't let me down.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Really? I haven't been following much stuff at all, so I had no idea a release date even got announced yet.
It didn't. They've only ever given ballpark estimates.

I thought parasoul was a zoner too...
She's more of a footsies character imo. She has huge range on all her normals (even jabs) and she can hit confirm into a super with anything since her super hits anywhere. I kind of think of her like 3S Chun-Li, who also wasn't really a zoner but still had a lot of range on her pokes and got easy hit confirms into combos that way.

The only dedicated zoner in Skullgirls (so far) is Peacock, who we all know is like Cable with a teleport. I think the reason why I'm so interested in Skullgirls is because I can actually pick a main before the game comes out and this time I know it'll fit my playstyle.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'm still waiting for my zany mixup rushdown-mixup character that keeps her limbs together. Parasoul works fine though. I've taken more of a liking to the footsies game.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Today my Tatsunoko vs. Capcom arcade stick for the Nintendo Wii arrived. I purchased it because Amazon had them on sale for just ~ $28 with shipping. That's much cheaper than I can make an arcade stick so I snapped it up. Besides, fighting games are one of my favorite genres and this stick will also be compatible with the Wii U.

Here's my modded stick I use for playing SSF IV and 3SO which I do just about every day.

I'm really looking forward to Skullgirls too cuz it looks like mad fun!

Top Bottom