• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FIFA World Cup 2010

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
france is hilarious

team has great players overall, domenech just doesn't manage to make them fit well together. also, putting gignac and valbuena instead of henry was awesome, i couldn't stop laughing. nasri and benzema sitting home is also so awesome. let our french friends share thoughts about this XD

mexico is pretty good. now it seems uruguay and them are going to the bracket, they deserve so.

ps.
i heard that domenech made the 23 man list looking at birth charts of players XDDD
The half-french in me wants to murder Domenech with a chainsaw. :mad:

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Lmao, now Mexico and Uruguay will tie on purpose and France will not make it through pools.

That's like ADHD not making it through pools.

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Here's an update of the prediction contest :

Edit : I forgot to add the score of France against Mexico. Oh well, I'll add it later.

let our french friends share thoughts about this XD
Well, I think I'm the only French reading this topic, and I'm not even supporting the French squad, so my point of view might be biased.
Overall, while most football fans over here were supporting the team and everything, most people didn't believe in it. I think I saw a poll with 50% of the votants thinking that France wouldn't advance to the bracket.
Everyone here think Domenech is a bad coach. His choice have always been contested (and have proved to be bad this evening), and his way of communicating with the media gave him many ennemies. We're talking of someone who, after France finished dead last of its pool at the 2008 European Championship, who answered a question about his possible resignation in an interview right after the game : "I just have one thing to say. I closed this case, my only project at the moment is to marry Estelle [his girlfriend, who accepted for some reason]." And right now, about today's defeat, i said he didn't know what to say to his players for the next game.
The man is weird, that a fact. Also, as peyudo said, he really is into astrology, and it affects his choice of players. He doesn't trust Scorpios, and for instance, that's why Pirès was never selected as soon as Domenech was chosen as the national squad coach.

Anyway, today's match was symptomatic of the problems of the French team in the past few years : the player seem not to be motivated. Have you seen Anelka (who sucks, by the way) ? Quite often, he was walking, today. I mean, come on ! You don't behave like that during a world cup game !
On the other side, Mexico played a pretty good game. In my predictions, they would pass the pools with Uruguay. That would be deserved.

Right now, the only hope for France is to beat South Africa while the result of Mexico against Uruguay isn't a draw. And with a pretty good goal difference, since, Uruguay currently has +3, Mexico +2, and France - 2. Not seeing a draw happen between Mexico and Uruguay is likely, as both team will try to place first in order to avoid facing Argentina. I think it can happen, though, as both squads appear to be roughly as good in my opinion. But the real difficulty will be to beat South Africa. Especially with a big goal difference. I don't think that's going to happen.

So what's left for France ? Unless a miracle happens (and it wouldn't be diserved), I guess the best thing to do is to wait the 12 of July, when Laurent Blanc is gonna replace Domenech. He's been doing great team with Bordeaux, so hopefully he will be able to give the French squad its charisma and great results back.

That being said... Go Germany !

Tamoo

Smash Master
Why would they hire (and keep hold of for a very long time mind you) a guy who openly chooses players based on when they were born. If the England manager suddenly didn't like the month december, there goes our best defenders, it's just rediculous.

I thought france would struggle with this talented group but still expected them to pass through with some breathing space, I think this tournament could hold a hell of a lot of surprises. I'm tipping Uruguay to surprise and make it to at least quarters and maybe a step further, which I think would be at the expense of England :laugh:

I'm just hoping my exams finish early enough tomorrow for me to run off home and watch the england match, could be tight

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
So glad that South Korea got owned today.

Also just as happy with Mexico taking France down.

Greece winning was lame, I hate Greece.

The competitions finally getting more interesting though.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Oh, c'mon! Vuvuzelas aren't that bad.

In every single Mexico game in Mexico, there are trumpets like those... Sound it's awful, yet, awesome =D

Jane

Smash Hero
yeah i honestly dont see why people are *****ing so much. people whining about the vuvuzelas is 10 times more annoying than the vuvuzelas themselves

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
Mexico!

Beating this French team doesn't seem like a merit to me. This French team is performing very poorly as a unit and just plain blows with Domenech as a coach. If we would have beaten the French team from 4 years ago (BTW we lost to them 1-0, w/ Raymond as a coach) that would have been ****. Mex is "splitting" with Uruguay and they'll both move on. That was going to be an awesome game but now we'll just get a draw. :(

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Mexico.

Beating this French team doesn't seem like a merit to me. This French team is performing very poorly as a unit and just plain blows with Domen
Code:
ech as a coach. If we would have beaten the French team from 4 years ago (BTW we lost to them 1-0) that would have been ****. Mex is "splitting" with Uruguay and they'll both move on. That was going to be an awesome game but now we'll just get a draw.  :([/QUOTE]

[color=cyan]^That

You'll see:
Firstly, it's the first time that Mexico beats France (or any "big team" on a World Cup) ever.
Second, here many people is a soccer freak. Really apassionate about it, maybe too much... (here, people is celebrating with crowds everywhere).
Third: people here just lurk for [b]any[/b] reason to celebrate.... Sometimes, in a sick way....

Now, neihter Mexico played well, nor Fance did. Now, let's hope the Uruguay match goes well (we wannot face Argentina on 1/8... again!)[/color]

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Exactly, when it's drunk foreigners who don't know how to play and just blaring it like it's an air horn, the vuvuzela gets as annoying as anything like other noise makers.

On it's own it's pretty awesome, tho.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
What the hell possessed that Nigerian player to thrust his studs at the Greek like that. Ref had no choice but too pull out the red, he cost Nigeria the game...

Dax

Smash Journeyman
It's only half time. I would be surprised if they lose.
(yeah i know they are 10, ok)

edit: ouch. missed penalty :\ after this i'm not sure anymore if germany deserves to draw lol

peyudosmith

Smash Journeyman
still serbia is not a bad team and radomir antic is a good coach, so it's not that much of a surprise

btw klose is so stupid

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Poor Germany, that referee was card happy in the first half. At least half the Germans had yellow cards by the end of the game. Some were a bit iffy.
Germany played pretty well considering they had 10 men and Serbia were defending hard.

That penalty, somehow I knew that wasn't going in...:(

New ball johns :bee:

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
If that's worth two yellows then every game would finish with like 5 red cards.

DunSkies

Smash Journeyman
I woke up this morning thinking Germany had already beaten Serbia and surprise, surprise! I was stunned to see the final score! At this point, the World Cup is still up in the air!

-Atlus

Edit - USA is on blast right now! OMG!

peyudosmith

Smash Journeyman
USA is down by 2

what an amazing surprise Slovenia

now USA is ****ed up because I don't think England is gonna go easy on an already qualified Slovenia

and yeah, lots of predictions ruined.. first Germany and now Usa

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
that was the worst call that could have possibly happened

this is so frustrating
Yeah this is absolutely terrible. USA should have won this game. But I think that all is fine for the team at the moment.

England will play Algeria today and probably win. And on the next round of pools, USA will play a normally already-out Algeria and England will play Slovenia. Assuming USA beats Algeria and there's a winner in ENG-SLO (I'd say England > Slovenia), USA will make it through to the 1/8th finals.

Top Bottom