• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FIFA World Cup 2010

Jane

Smash Hero
dang! i totally called dunga being next on the puns... but i thought it would involve dung, not dumb ):

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Brazil didn't play spectacularly as most expected, although their veteran players weren't in the start up. I agree Roberto Carlos was a gun back in his day, but he's pretty old now, Ronaldo was looking pudgy back when he was playing the World Cup in 2002 haha.
Need Ronaldinho.

Kudos to NKorea's defense.

Dax

Smash Journeyman
oh god LOL, after Spain's 50th vain shot Swiss made such a ridiculous goal, I couldn't stop laughing. But I feel sorry for Spain, they deserve to score a goal I think

Knyaguy

Smash Lord
oh god LOL, after Spain's 50th vain shot Swiss made such a ridiculous goal, I couldn't stop laughing. But I feel sorry for Spain, they deserve to score a goal I think
Just like in the PKR game! Brazil can control the ball for 72% of the time, but you only need one break to score. Spain should have really stopped that, they have arguably one of the best defenders, Carles Puyol, and Iker Casillas in goal. Either way, Gelson Fernandes will sleep easy tonight.

Dax

Smash Journeyman
lol Swiss almost 2nd goal... although Spain still deserves one... (39402390 more shots in the meantime )

Dax

Smash Journeyman
it's going to be hell for Spain if they don't finalize their actions, I mean statistics just popped up and it said over 22 shots for spain wtf...

also LOL, not many knows but Swiss has NEVER got a goal in the 2006 world cup LOL

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Underdog victories are bull****.

This World Cup is trash, what a farce. All 1-0s and 0-0s.

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Mwahahahahahaha ! Switzerland is too good !

I'll update the prediction game this evening after South Africa - Uruguay, but no one was able to predict the Swiss victory :laugh:

I'm pretty happy with the results so far : every big team has been disappointing... safe for Germany, my favourites =D

Knyaguy

Smash Lord

But look, how many shots did Spain take? How many saves did the Swiss keeper make? Now compare that to the Swiss offense and Spanish keeper. 24 shots with 8 on goal for the spanish and none went in. 8 shots for the swiss, 3 on goal and 1 went in. Possession favoured the Spanish 63-37 and they couldn't get on in the back of the net. Teams are just playing more defensively this time around.

Stats from Fifa.com

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Man, a World Cup of upsets and underdogs!

I was pulling for Spain, but I also like Switzerland, and after seeing both teams' performance today, I have to say I like what the Swiss were able to accomplish.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
But look, how many shots did Spain take? How many saves did the Swiss keeper make? Now compare that to the Swiss offense and Spanish keeper. 24 shots with 8 on goal for the spanish and none went in. 8 shots for the swiss, 3 on goal and 1 went in. Possession favoured the Spanish 63-37 and they couldn't get on in the back of the net. Teams are just playing more defensively this time around.

Stats from Fifa.com
Yeah and defensive play is inferior.

Meaning the World Cup thus far has been inferior.

Dax

Smash Journeyman

lol, calm down

first: i don't think that it's only that the big teams aren't playing really well. Even if Germany did.
I think that there are some teams that just are a lot better than they were before.

second: swiss is one of this. 2 defending players play in the italian Serie A and as I said swiss didn't even got a goal in the 2006 worldcup lol

third: yeah results come with few goals but that's because it looks harder for players... to make goals lol

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
The new ball is destroying this World Cup.

By this time last World Cup in 2006, there had already been something like 6-7 screamers scored, in this one there's only been the South Africa goal that comes close.

Everyone is blazing it over the bar, no one can keep a set piece down anymore, and every long ball skids out to the touchline.

All this World Cup has been about is praising teams who set up good defensive structures against the bigger teams.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
But you're asking players to delete 20+ years of what they've understood about ball mechanics.

The reality is, whether the players should have adapted by now or not, it's severely hampered the quality of the tournament, and it would have been better if it used the old ball, regardless of whether the player's should have adapted by now or not.

Even if they learn to keep the ball down when shooting, it still completely destroys the long ball. Long balls only work now if they're controlled on the full, or if it bounces towards the player. You can virtually no longer let a long ball bounce infront of a player anymore.

Even if the new ball has long-term benefits, it was silly to implement such a drastic change right before the biggest sporting event in four years.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
The new ball is destroying this World Cup.

By this time last World Cup in 2006, there had already been something like 6-7 screamers scored, in this one there's only been the South Africa goal that comes close.

Everyone is blazing it over the bar, no one can keep a set piece down anymore, and every long ball skids out to the touchline.

All this World Cup has been about is praising teams who set up good defensive structures against the bigger teams.
There are teams like Catania in Serie A, that isn't saying much.

Honestly the Spanish defence has people like Puyol and Sergio Ramos.

The entire Spanish team is a superstar roster. They absolutely should not be losing to Switzerland.

I dunno, this whole tournament has just been nothing but boring as **** games. No flair, no shooting accuracy, just fail.

Shabalala scored the only good goal of the tournament.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Exactly, because of the ball.

And Ramos isn't a good defender at all. Puyol has heart and gets praise for that but I don't think he's as good as everyone makes him out to be, although he's been in good form of late for Barca.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Exactly, because of the ball.

And Ramos isn't a good defender at all. Puyol has heart and gets praise for that but I don't think he's as good as everyone makes him out to be, although he's been in good form of late for Barca.
Ramos is amazing. He's a fast, powerful psychopath that can run up and support.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
No that's what people hype him to be.

Defensively he's weak.

He gets alot of praise for going forward, but that's just because he gets the ball alot, but he's actually pretty ineffectual whn he does it.

I mean come on, the guy has played centre back for Madrid. There are two types of fullbacks, winger fullbacks and centre back fullbacks. If Ramos was that good going forward, he would be acknowledged as a potential winger, like people such as Alves and Ashley Cole are.

Dax

Smash Journeyman
There are teams like Catania in Serie A, that isn't saying much.

Honestly the Spanish defence has people like Puyol and Sergio Ramos.

The entire Spanish team is a superstar roster. They absolutely should not be losing to Switzerland.

I dunno, this whole tournament has just been nothing but boring as **** games. No flair, no shooting accuracy, just fail.

Shabalala scored the only good goal of the tournament.
Ziegler plays in Sampdoria, 4° this year and it's going to play the champions league.
Lichtsteiner plays in Lazio which is a good team in the serie A (12° this year)
Senderos plays in Fulham.
Grichting plays in Auxerre.

If you really think that there are such differences from "superstars" and top-league player, I think you'll probably find yourself more and more disappointed.

Also I think there were some other nice goals, like korea dpr's but I'm not going into this, after all is subjective.

Actually, I think that 2006's world cup was quite an exception.
In 2002 we had South Korea and Turkey in the top 4, and Senegal defeating France 1-0 and going to the quarter finals.

In 1998 we had Croatia getting 3°.
Romania defeating England in pools..
Spain losing to Nigeria and getting out at pools.

Suprises happens and tactics are important, even you think that it's the ball or not lol

peyudosmith

Smash Journeyman
lol I couldn't see the game because I had an exam this afternoon. from what I heard Spain approached but couldn't finish, it sounds like I already heard that story before. that happens to Spain a lot when they're out of focus and the other team plays good defense, a clear example was last confederations cup vs the usa.

however, I hope Spain to win against both Chile and Honduras and make it out of pools. It's not that hard of a pool so we better pass. Real problem is, Brazil might get 1st seed in theirs, we probably will have to play in 1/8 finals against them and they're definitely tougher than Portugal or Ivory Coast. Let's hope they screw up against some team in their pool too or Switzerland gets beaten by Chile or something, but that seems improbable.

well, at least we kept control of the ball and that's a good sign, if Spain keeps playing like that good results will surely come.

I actually predicted a draw for the game so I wasn't that confident against Switzerland.. they proved they're tough.

oh and on the Spanish defenders topic: Puyol is great, Ramos is not that good defensively. as somebody said earlier, Ramos is not that solid covering the wing.
But the best defender in the Spanish team is probably Piqué. I heard he had bad luck in the swiss goal but that guy is great, he has Puyol's defensive capacity and a great ability starting attacking from the defense. He can join the team's defense with its offense and that's not something that many players can do.

peyudosmith

Smash Journeyman
**** slhoka you so troll :D
I prefer Spain to lose the first game and then do a great bracket than destroying pools like always and then getting asskicked by whoever later

btw, france is a real disgrace every single match and I keep trying not to mention it too much! XD
nah really I hope Henry goes superman or something and takes you far.

ps.
I actually don't own a spanish team jersey, but I got a germany one so.. haha

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
Hagan goles no sandwhiches carajo!

lol Spain couln't score which is a tough break because while they were dominating they couldn't break the net. Swiss goal was kinda lulz with the Spanish defense all over the place.

Uruguay pretty much secured their advance into the bracket by owning RSA pretty soundly. **** goal by Diego Forlan who clearly doesn't give a **** about the ball, ball johns or having a shot mildly deflected by a defender.

Chile should have scored like 8 goals. Honduras seemed too scared to move past midfield and defended like **** the whole game.

Mexico better win tomorrow. Vamos cabrones!!!

Slhoka

Smash Lord
**** slhoka you so troll :D
I prefer Spain to lose the first game and then do a great bracket than destroying pools like always and then getting asskicked by whoever later
Indeed. Yet, at this very moment, Germany looks better than every single other team. That's why I enjoy it while I can (even though I will hopefully enjoy it on July 11 too).

btw, france is a real disgrace every single match and I keep trying not to mention it too much! XD
nah really I hope Henry goes superman or something and takes you far.
I can't say the opposite, because it's true. But I couldn't care less, as I don't like the current French team. Of course I'd be happy if they were do to well, because it's my country. But I'm not going to search for excuses for a team which appears not to have any motivation to play.

ps.
I actually don't own a spanish team jersey, but I got a germany one so.. haha
So after all, it seems you know which team is the real deal ;)

Top Bottom