• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FIFA World Cup 2010

OFY

Sonic main since 08'
Vamos Argentina!

Fellow Argentine from New York, we got this baby ;) Start out Milito and take out Veron. CHEAAAAAAAA

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Spain losing disturbs me greatly. Crazy *** defending from the Swiss, but Spain just couldn't get that goal. I think they had almost 70% possession at one stage.
Yea the goal was lulzy and so dodgy.

It does seem everyone is camping hard, no approaching at all...And if someone in the lead, they stall and plank like hell. World Cup ain't what is used to be.

Mota

Dayum just saw the South Africa Uruguay highlights, thoughts on the red card to the SA keeper?

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Was technically wrong because of the ball's direction, but it was hard to judge, tho, the striker was too close from goal....

Anyways, was an interesting result that makes more tasty the France vs Mexico... I hope Mexico go well tomorrow... =X

Dax

Smash Journeyman
I don't think there was any foul at all, and obviously no penalty and no Red Card.
This is the best video I found http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8rQoSAOHwo#t=1m03s
such contact looks pretty ridiculous to me, and the uruguay dude is faking lol
Not sure were the referee was so I understand that he might have not seen it well

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Ziegler plays in Sampdoria, 4° this year and it's going to play the champions league.
Lichtsteiner plays in Lazio which is a good team in the serie A (12° this year)
Senderos plays in Fulham.
Grichting plays in Auxerre.

If you really think that there are such differences from "superstars" and top-league player, I think you'll probably find yourself more and more disappointed.

Also I think there were some other nice goals, like korea dpr's but I'm not going into this, after all is subjective.

Actually, I think that 2006's world cup was quite an exception.
In 2002 we had South Korea and Turkey in the top 4, and Senegal defeating France 1-0 and going to the quarter finals.

In 1998 we had Croatia getting 3°.
Romania defeating England in pools..
Spain losing to Nigeria and getting out at pools.

Suprises happens and tactics are important, even you think that it's the ball or not lol
There are big gulfs in class between superstars and top league players (exception being David Beckham he's a fool).

The entire Spanish team are pretty much the cream of the crop from top clubs. It's literally a dream team that shouldn't beaten. South Korea had the host advantage and a lot of luck. Italy should've actually won since Inzaghi was called offside when he scored a goal (when he wasn't). Ergo, Korea got lucky so that's a null point. Turkey of 2002 were better than Switzerland of now. Likewise, Croatia were probably the 2nd best team of 98, they probably would've beaten Brazil if they'd met them in semis. They lost to France on a Golden Goal, which shows they really were an amazing team that year. Plus iirc Suker, their captain, was a Madrid player.

France were crap in 2002, they didn't even make it out of group stages. England are pretty terrible, they don't actually have true world class players. That includes Rooney. Spain used to always choke at major tournaments but seemed to have shaken it off with the new blood at Euro 2008.

Surprises happen, but lame ones like this are just :/

I mean I wouldn't mind an underdog victory if the underdogs just walk all over teams with fantastic play, but literally being obnoxiously defensive for fear of conceding rather than actually playing is no way to play. It wins matches perhaps at the beginning, but in the end if they don't put men forward and move the ball consistently, they're going to get knocked out.

Why do you think Brazil is the most successful country of all time? Brazil have never been famous for their defence, even their two most recent star defenders Cafu and Carlos are attacking fullbacks. Brazil knew how to knock the ball around and run circles around the opposition, because the best defence is a good offence. If you can outplay the opponent and simply keep the ball to pressurise, the opponent won't stand a chance.

Besides lame defensive play also gets analysed by opposition coaches who will pick out weaknesses in the defence to exploit. See how South Africa put on a real show against a strong Mexico side but got picked apart by Uruguay?

Even Italy who are famous for their consistently impenetrable defence (lol like back with Nesta and Cannavaro), don't just sit deep and contain everything, they play the ball wide and try cutting through the middle. They didn't win World Cup 2006 but sitting deep.

Hmm

Dax

Smash Journeyman
@ Teran

First, let me say that I do agree with your speech in general.
And so yeah I agree that underdogs victories are not good to see when they don't look deserved. Still, the point in the case of Swiss - Spain for example is that they just did not score. I don't know how much this happened because of Swiss defence and because of Spain's fault. Still spain players are what they are, if they were not able to score in 90' there is just no johns for them... what makes them superstar should be how they perform. Of course I can't care less about what Spain did in friendlies.

How could France be crap in 2002 if they even won the Confederation Cup in 2001 ? They were a really good team, actually O_o (Trezeguet, Henry, Cissé and more).

I shouldn't remember you that Greece, in 2004, won the European, right? And no, please don't say that they had a good team D: I don't believe it at all. They just played the campy soccer you just saw and had a very good coach.

Anyway of course I agree that if you don't move, don't score, so I don't expect Switzerland to win the cup :D

But to say that a victory is lame, I don't know, it may be painful to watch (and it is, even for me, what do you think :p )

Arg vs SK good match btw
edit: wow great show for argentina today! =)

Atlus8

Smash Master
Argentina straight up sodomized S.Korea in the second half!

As for upsets/underdog victories, I love it when the underdog wins, otherwise we would be watching what we expected to watch! There wouldn't be any surprises and that wouldn't be as enjoyable to watch!

Mota

I like how asians don't play off their fouls as much the whites and spanish!
This.
Italians :mad: master divers.

Argentina vs South K was a very entertaining game since there was actually goals! Both sides played excellently in the first half, before Argentina dominated the 2nd. The SouthK goalie made made so many saves kinda feel sorry for him what with the score being 4-1, the South K defence was pretty poor. Such a dodgy own goal and even dodgier Goal for South K.
Messi toooo goood runs rings around any defence, my fave player. Nice Hat-trick from number 9
Definitely one of the best games so far, the rest have been rather lacking...

South Korea will still qualify for the round of 16, their next game is against Nigeria I think.

Knyaguy

Smash Lord
Watching the Nigerian game, you really have to keep your temper down. Nigeria was doing well (winning in fact) until Sani Kaita lashed out over a throw in and got a silly red card. Nigeria lost their momentum, Greece started controlling the ball and taking more shots. Nigeria, down to 10 men, couldn't hold them off so Greece scored a goal not 10mins after the red card and again in the 2nd half.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Agree that it was a great game for Argentina.

Especially enjoyed the performances by Tevez, Gutierrez and of course, Messi and Higuain. Aregentina's game was characterized by a strong offensive and a very aggressive defense. SK played well too, but they wasted a lot of opportunities and were a little more careless at times than they could afford to be.

Still, I don't see Argentina winning the Cup. They are very aggressive and their game is at times almost uncontrolled/unrefined. There were a number of times when they let the ball get ahead of themselves, and I don't think they would have been so fortunate if they'd been playing a team whose game was more controlled than South Korea's. Still a good show for Argentina and Maradona though.

.Marik

is a social misfit
I made a $20 bet with my friend on who wins the World Cup.

He bet on Germany, I bet on Brazil.

Discuss.

Knyaguy

Smash Lord
Mexico's got this... C'mon... They're getting into France's territory very often. A goal's comin, I just know it.!
Well they did now.... The French defense is really annoying me. The first half they kept giving sissy passes to the keeper that made him leave the box. Additionally, why isn't Henry playing yet? I see no point in keeping one of France's best strikers on the bench while we are down. Step it up France!! :mad:

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
gooooooooooooooollllllll

i think south africa has the ability to take out france

or at least tie with them allowing uruguay and mexico to move on

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Congratulations, Mr. Domenech. You have successfully turned a great football team into a dissapointing, mediocre and boring bunch. And now they've pretty much lost the World Cup.

Have a nice trip back home.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Well played Mexico.

If Domenech can get a job as an international coach of a well known, well respected team then I'm confident I can do anything in life.

peyudosmith

Smash Journeyman
france is hilarious

team has great players overall, domenech just doesn't manage to make them fit well together. also, putting gignac and valbuena instead of henry was awesome, i couldn't stop laughing. nasri and benzema sitting home is also so awesome. let our french friends share thoughts about this XD

mexico is pretty good. now it seems uruguay and them are going to the bracket, they deserve so.

ps.
i heard that domenech made the 23 man list looking at birth charts of players XDDD

Jane

Smash Hero
dude, mexican commentators are THE BEST. i watch every game on univision, and then watch the highlights on espn haha

Top Bottom