• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FIFA World Cup 2010

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Well, bad decisions happen, it's not the first time. ;o
Poor referees, nobody likes them. If they're doing a good job, nobody praises the good work of the referee, but dare them to do a bad decision, they're getting ripped apart. Really unthankful job.

Anyway, I'm still hyped Switzerland won against Spain! :3 Rooting for them now. <3

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
When you're reffing a World Cup game, you should know a thing or two about the game you're reffing.

I have some sympathy for a ref that makes a bad call but is otherwise good. Refs make mistakes, bad calls happens, I get it.

What I have zero tolerance for is a ref that continually makes bad calls throughout the game, calls that are no contest, 100% flat out wrong, including at least one call that cost a team the win. This is not something that anybody should tolerate. These teams get together, fans get together, to watch an exciting contest between nations. A bad call or two happens, everybody knows that. The entire experience should not be marred by bad calls, as that destroys the entire purpose of having such a contest in the first place.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Dude, my parents are watching soccer, and from all over the house I constantly hear GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!! GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLL!!!!

That and that as well, they get too excited over everything. I prefer commentaries from other countries that are much more calm

DunSkies

Smash Journeyman
Dude, my parents are watching soccer, and from all over the house I constantly hear GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!! GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLL!!!!

That and that as well, they get too excited over everything. I prefer commentaries from other countries that are much more calm
Hahahaha! Who the hell would stay calm watching the World Cup?! Your parents are legit and I hope they have Vuvuzelas to blow on your face!

-Atlus

USA was robbed so hardddddddddddddddddddddddd
Edit - Yes, USA was robed! BIG TIME! Worst call made so far!

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
Now, neihter Mexico played well, nor Fance did. Now, let's hope the Uruguay match goes well (we wannot face Argentina on 1/8... again!)
I would't say Mexico didn't play well since France was outplayed for a good portion of the match. Still this year's Bleu squad is garbage. :urg:
Ahora le tenemos que ganar a Uruguay para que no nos toque super Messi y sus compas en octavos.
that was the worst call that could have possibly happened
USA got robbed of a clear victory.
Hahahaha! Who the hell would stay calm watching the World Cup?! Your parents are legit and I hope they have Vuvuzelas to blow on your face!
-Atlus
This.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I would't say Mexico didn't play well since France was outplayed for a good portion of the match. Still this year's Bleu squad is garbage. :urg:
France has been garbage for a few years now. It's not different now. I actually expected them to not even qualify this year.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Bah iunno that USA freekick that the disallowed goal came from shouldn't have even been a freekick.

Was a dive.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings

-Atlus

Edit - Yes, USA was robed! BIG TIME! Worst call made so far!
What would you say if I said that Vuvuzelas didn't bother me?

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
The goal should have been disallowed.

lol nah ref messed up.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
I was jumping for joy when I thought it was 3-2... One of the best comebacks I've seen live. Then I found out we were robbed.... :urg:

Well... at least we didn't lose, I guess.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
So, MikeKirby, what position do you take in the US-team? Are you goalie, or defense? Striker maybe? :3

JFTR: I find it EXTREMELY hilarious when people of the nation their team originates from says "we" to their team.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Yeah this is absolutely terrible. USA should have won this game. But I think that all is fine for the team at the moment.

England will play Algeria today and probably win. And on the next round of pools, USA will play a normally already-out Algeria and England will play Slovenia. Assuming USA beats Algeria and there's a winner in ENG-SLO (I'd say England > Slovenia), USA will make it through to the 1/8th finals.
Germany should've beaten Serbia.
France should've beaten Mexico and Uruguay.
England should've beaten USA.
Italy should've beaten Paraguay.
Spain should've beaten Switzerland.

Teehee

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
haha whats wrong with doing that?
Are YOU out there and playing the game? No. Your country's team is. So saying that "the referee cheated us out of our win" etc. is stupid, cause it's not you who was playing there. :p

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
England are just pedestrian, movement, passing, everything's too slow and predictable.

This is the worst I've ever seen Rooney play.

peyudosmith

Smash Journeyman
Are YOU out there and playing the game? No. Your country's team is. So saying that "the referee cheated us out of our win" etc. is stupid, cause it's not you who was playing there. :p
what a big stupidity

I always say 'we' cause that's what you say when you support a team truly, maybe you never do, idk.

Usa was robbed yes. Nobody knows yet why he called there. That's what happens when you have there refs from weird countries, there are not so many bad calls in european champions league games than in the world cup.

also, England is playing so bad, I would actually say they seem to be at the same level as Algeria. 'Small' teams are doing pretty well in this world cup.

so this group will be decided in the final round of games, it's so surprising. all my predictions for today were ruined so far O_O

Jane

Smash Hero
a team in the world cup is out there competing for their country. they are a representative to their entire country. no not every citizen of england is on the english team, but every english fan is a "part" of the team, in spirit.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
a team in the world cup is out there competing for their country. they are a representative to their entire country. no not every citizen of england is on the english team, but every english fan is a "part" of the team, in spirit.
Exactly. When your team wins, it's like you win. You are part of that victory, not because you were out on the field (you weren't), but because that team represents you and your nation.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Well... England ****ed up and got a draw again with Algeria. And now they're forced to win the next match.

If England wins against Slovenia --> they pass (not guaranteed to be 1st though)
If England draws --> can only pass if USA-Algeria ends up in a draw and if England has a better goal difference than the USA
If England loses --> baibai

X1-12

Smash Champion
Well... England ****ed up and got a draw again with Algeria. And now they're forced to win the next match.

If England wins against Slovenia --> they pass (not guaranteed to be 1st though)
If England draws --> can only pass if USA-Algeria ends up in a draw and if England has a better goal difference than the USA
If England loses --> baibai
If we (England) go through second, It might be better actually considering Germany might not go through thier group first either (meaning we won't play them)

peyudosmith

Smash Journeyman
lol England qualified for this world cup winning every single game. it seems they have run out of victories :S

very poor game by English midfielders, I expected much more from Gerrard, Lampard, Barry, Lennon, etc. also Rooney has been a shadow of himself so far, same case as Ribery. Algeria did a good game overall, cnsidering they were facing the brits.

and let me say, I don't like Capellos strategy at all.. why putting Heskey instead of Crouch in the first place? or he could let Rooney play as 9 and put Joe Cole, Wright Phillips or some other guy behind him to help

ALL MY PREDICTIONS FOR TODAY WERE WRONG. worst prediction day ever.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
The only thing worse than that performance is Gareth Southgate's shirt.

Rooney's been drugged.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Exactly. When your team wins, it's like you win. You are part of that victory, not because you were out on the field (you weren't), but because that team represents you and your nation.
I guess I'm too uninvolved with watching sports to actually understand this concept.

Slhoka

Smash Lord
It's sad to see that the USA got robbed of their victory.
And I'm even sadder because Germany lost =(

Today's games were pretty stupid, and the referees had a huge impact on the first two (maybe on England - Algeria too, I haven't watched it). So we got nothing but upsets, which led everyone to be wrong on the results of Germany - Serbia and England - Algeria. Everyone ? No ! Qlex was here to surprise everyone and predicted accurately the results of this two games. These lucky excellent prediction made him rise to the second place of the ranking :)

Edit : whoops. Qlex may not have both results right. I use 2 tables for this, and in one of them (the one I actually use), his prediction is 0-0. In the one is use to display here, his prediction is 2-2. I'll investigate this =/

M.K

Level 55
So, I work as an intern at a physical therapy office from 9 AM-->1 PM on Mondays/Tuesdays/Thursdays where they have ESPN running all day on these gigantic TVs for the patients.
I catch the first two games of those days and I gotta say, I hated soccer, but it's fun to watch.

Oh, but what I don't understand is this:

Why do they add time to the end of the clock of some games? O_O

Top Bottom