• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FIFA World Cup 2010

Slhoka

Smash Lord
So, I work as an intern at a physical therapy office from 9 AM-->1 PM on Mondays/Tuesdays/Thursdays where they have ESPN running all day on these gigantic TVs for the patients.
I catch the first two games of those days and I gotta say, I hated soccer, but it's fun to watch.

Oh, but what I don't understand is this:

Why do they add time to the end of the clock of some games? O_O
Because the clock is still running after a foul or when a player is injured. According to the amount of fouls, injuries, player changes or anything stopping the game, you add a certain amount of time to reach 90 mn of effective playing time.

This may sound silly, but this way, you can prevent a game to finish abruptly like it happens in basketball games. I remember that a long time ago, during an international match, a team played a corner and scored, but the goal was invalidated because the referee whistled the end of the game between the moment when the player kicked the corner and the goal (about 1 or 2 seconds). To avoid stupid situations like that, the referee usually ends the game when the ball is around the middle of the field, when a team isn't close to score.

peyudosmith

Smash Journeyman
**** Qlex predicting improbable stuff like that.. it's not a bad choice cause you know if it actually happens you might be the only one to get points... well, sort of.

ps.
wo.. wait. you gave Qlex the exact result for England which wasn't 2-2 in fact XD

I laughed so hard at that slhoka's mom guy XDDDDDDDDDD

Frames

DI
USA advances with:
(a) Win versus Algeria on Wednesday
(b) Tie and Slovenia-England tie IF England does not outscore USA by 2+ goals
(c) Tie and England loss

England advances with:
(a) Win versus Slovenia
(b) Tie AND USA-Algeria tie AND outscore USA by 3 goals

if they both win, then they both advance, simple enough

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Ack England playing poorly, quite disappointing.

Lol I went to bed at half time during the Slovenia and USA game, after seeing the score 2-0. Can't believe USA came back from that, haven't seen the refs call that 'robbed' USA the win, but I sure as hell want to now.

Australia vs Ghana!!!!
CMON AUSSIES...lol :urg:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Does anyone else think Belhadj is wasted at left-back?

I thought this before the World Cup as well. I think the general consensus is that he should be a left winger, but I think he'd be better as a right winger, but playing a bit more central, because he has a wicked left foot and he's got the pace to run at diagonals.

By the way what happened to Boazza? Is he injured or out of favour for Algeria? Because he's seriously exactly the same as Belhadj as a player.

peyudosmith

Smash Journeyman
hahaha I actually thought it would be some random guy, never expected it was your mother for real XDDD

yeah algerian players are worth taking a look at them, they played really well against England.. but their keeper from 1st game sucks

Dax

Smash Journeyman
daamn japan went so close so many times to the draw, although holland failed to goal again a couple of times

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
That Netherlands goal again showcased how dodgy the ball is, Buffon was right in saying it completely removes the skill from striking a ball.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
FFFFFUUUUUUUU. No just no **** that! When the **** has a handball=redcard, it wasn't even intentional for one thing since it was kicked straight at Harry Kewells Shoulder+Bicep before he could even move. Finish it off with a penalty to level things and Australias going home.
Dam Refs hate on Australia :mad:

Bloody hel| worst luck, first Cahill for a dodgy immediate Red Card no yellow, now Harry.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
This World Cup is pathetic.

From now on they should just televise the 2002 World Cup every 4 years because these clowns today are horrible at the game.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
USA advances with:
(a) Win versus Algeria on Wednesday
(b) Tie and Slovenia-England tie IF England does not outscore USA by 2+ goals
(c) Tie and England loss

England advances with:
(a) Win versus Slovenia
(b) Tie AND USA-Algeria tie AND outscore USA by 3 goals

if they both win, then they both advance, simple enough
Ahh, thanks.

I don't really care about either team, but I was curious as to the current double tie between England and the United States.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I'm so glad they beat Japan.

They need to step up their finishing, but that can be said of every ****ing team. -__-

No Davids and Seedorf makes me sadface. The legendary black men of Holland ftw.

peyudosmith

Smash Journeyman
This World Cup is pathetic.

From now on they should just televise the 2002 World Cup every 4 years because these clowns today are horrible at the game.
2002? please no, it was horrible

spain and italy got robbed by egyptian and peruvian refs respectively in favour of south korea

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
lol @ people thinking good football is shown at a world cup. If you want to see good football watch Champions League or Europe Cup.

:059:

peyudosmith

Smash Journeyman
cameroon - denmark = most exciting game so far?

eto'o is legendary

and yes, champions league is probably better but the world cup is still the most important and prestigious title in football. so you would expect every team to play their best to win, that's why we see so much defense from small teams against better teams which have a better control of the ball, they exploit their only hopes which rely on defense and counters, much of what we saw in brazil vs north korea for instance. or maybe spain vs switzerland, netherlands vs japan, etc.

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Here's the update for the prediction contest. I checked on the form data, and Qlex didn't get the right score. I removed him the two points.

I didn't watch any of today's games, but the thing keeping the French medias busy is the Anelka scandal. During the halftime of France - Mexico, he said to Domenech something like "**** you, son of a *****". So he's been sent home by the French Federation, and most likely banned for life from the French squad. He said he was retired from international football anyway.
The other weird thing is that the only one who saw this were the players and the staff, which means there's a snitch in the team... that isn't exactly the best way to prepare for the game against South Africa :p

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
2002? please no, it was horrible

spain and italy got robbed by egyptian and peruvian refs respectively in favour of south korea
This is true, but the Brazil team was delicious that year and actually deserved to win.

Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Cafu, Roberto Carlos, Edmilson, Lucio, Emerson, Ze Roberto blah blah.

You get the point.

That team was masterclass and deserved to win. Not to mention there was just a much more attacking attitude about that World Cup, the games were entertaining, the Fevernova was an awesome football, and there were no vuvuzelas.

Definitely my favourite World Cup, although 1998 and 1994 were pretty awesome too. 2006 was epic because my main men from Italy won.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
FFFFFUUUUUUUU. No just no **** that! When the **** has a handball=redcard, it wasn't even intentional for one thing since it was kicked straight at Harry Kewells Shoulder+Bicep before he could even move. Finish it off with a penalty to level things and Australias going home.
Dam Refs hate on Australia :mad:

Bloody hel| worst luck, first Cahill for a dodgy immediate Red Card no yellow, now Harry.
You forgot that the Ghana player should've seen a straight red for doing the exact same challenge as Cahill, except Cahill pulled out of it and didn't go in with studs like the Ghana player did.

It's not the ref's fault for the Kewell's red card, it's rules that should be blamed. The ref had to follow the letter of the law. There's no way he couldn't have given a red for that, what's stupid is that the rules should be if it isn't intentional it shouldn't be a card.

There's a massive inconsistency with the rules. If the goalkeeper handles a pass back going on goal he gets a yellow, when he's illegally stopped a goal, yet if an outifeld player does it it's a straight red.

And the rules about keepers giving away penalties is silly too. If a keeper commits to a 50-50 ball and striker gets the touch, gets the contact, and gets the penalty, the keeper sees red for being the last man, when most of the time he's just going for the ball and the contact isn't intentional. Yes it should be a penalty, but not a card if it wasn't intentional.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
The reason why the rules are so concrete and inconsiderate is because it's difficult to judge a lot of these factors in the heat of a match.

I mean intentional/unintentional is an example, it can be difficult considering the ref has no replays or whatever to view, he just gets a quick view of a challenge once and has to make his call.

It's why I'm a firm believer of a more technological approach to officiating matches.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
I haven't heard the English come up with much excuses for their last match. Apparently the players just weren't trying or something, unlike last time where their goalie dragged a girl by the hair onto the pitch and shot her in the face.

Oh wait no he never, he just lost grip of the ball and it slipped past him. But man, how the media whined about that.

Kole

Smash Lord
did anyone see netherlands vs. japan?

any highlights?

PS: go netherlands :D

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Nobody commenting on the awesomeness that was Denmark - Cameroon. Definitely one of my favorite games until now.

Top 5 favorite games until now:
1. USA - Slovenia
2. Denmark - Cameroon
3. Argentina - South Korea
4. Brazil - North Korea
5. Germany - Australia

Knyaguy

Smash Lord
Many shockers in this World Cup, Brazil challenged by North Korea , England and France nearly finished, Germany losing, and New Zealand scoring goals!

peyudosmith

Smash Journeyman
paraguay did the job 2-0

just hoping that spain gets it easy tomorrow against honduras

denmark vs cameroon was pretty awesome THANKS to cameroon. the first team that is eliminated from this world cup but definitely the first one that scored a goal and didn't go gay backwards to keep the score. great team, great philosophy, sad they didn't make it but they had a couple mistakes on defense. it's the price to pay for playing nice.

peyudosmith

Smash Journeyman
fifa has started a new system with a referee in every goal line this year in uefa cup, but that doesn't change much

italy draws with new zealand haha

awesome, this championship is so gonna be a nightmare for 'big' teams. small ones stepped up a whole lot. could be that last times finalists france and italy go out in pools.

i'm gonna make my bet and say I honestly think if Spain makes it out of pools (which is probable) we're gonna win the cup. that's what johann cruijff said when asked about spain too.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
New Zealand defense + Paston = Brick wall.

Seriously great work by the Kiwis.
You mean the entire team + Paston in the defensive third = brick wall.

**** like this is what's making this competition so ****ing pathetic this year.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
The ball is fine, Clarence Seedorf was able to get used to it in a matter of minutes.

He demonstrated some ****** shots and passes, so if a man who's on the brink of retirement, not training, and not match fit can pull the moves off fine, then these so caled professionals can too.

But yeah, this whole having 300million people in the defensive third and stopping the opposition from even moving has to stop. Yeah you don't conceded, well done, but you don't ****ing score either.

Plus New Zealand's goal was so blatantly offside, Italians always get screwed by dodgy linesmen.

Top Bottom