• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Favorite Zelda Games ~ Which Are Yours?

Favorite Zelda Game(s)

• Total voters

S7GF

Smash Journeyman
Well, Ocarina of Time is a masterpiece, but I also enjoyed playing Skyward Sword, Minish Cap, Link's Awakening, and the Oracle games!

etecoon

Smash Hero
The game doesn't deeply explore Link's decision
probably a good thing tbh, these days it's rare to see a game that doesn't completely beat you over the head with something, I like games like this or MM where there is a lot that isn't immediately shoved down your throat, it's there if you want to pay attention but never gets in the way of anything

Nimbus

Smash Rookie
OoT and MM are the only two Zelda games that I've played that I would have literally no objections in replaying. MM was also the first Zelda game I ever played, and the masterfully put together atmosphere of the game is still unmatched by any other Zelda game, IMO. And OoT is OoT, 'nuff said.

etecoon

Smash Hero
replayability really seems to be a problem with the newer games, like I enjoyed the hell out of skyward sword the first time through but idk if I'll ever really get all the way through it again, a lot of the game just assumes that you have no idea what you're doing and it's frustrating to try and replay

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
probably a good thing tbh, these days it's rare to see a game that doesn't completely beat you over the head with something, I like games like this or MM where there is a lot that isn't immediately shoved down your throat, it's there if you want to pay attention but never gets in the way of anything

clarify

Smash Cadet
I first played Minish Cap, and then TP. I then went to OoT and MM, and I found OoT to be my favorite, followed closely by MM. OoT had the perfection feel, as the gameplay is still unmatched (and the potential of breaking it brings even more replay value to me). MM was a refresher to the series, and played amazingly.

freebees

Smash Rookie
Link's Awakening is my favorite!

I've played that game through so many times, I know it like the back of my hand.

Schoo

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4811-7465-8082
Majora's Mask is by far my favorite. Each game has it's unique points and characteristics, but Majora's Mask gives you a rushed feeling, in those short 3 days. The ability to transform into 5* different forms gives the game a lot of opportunities for form-specific puzzles. I loved the concept of masks. As I recall there were a few that didn't do anything in particular, aside from being part of a side quest, but it was still fun to wear your favorite mask. This game will always be in a special place in my heart. It is such an emotional game, and I will never forget my experiences playing it.
I actually met my first girlfriend while I was playing Majora's Mask. I was in the first room of the water temple, and she prank called me. Funny how things work, huh? ♥

*Including Fierce Diety and Link's original body

SuperMarioKarter

Smash Rookie
Crazy late response here, but I agree completely. Majora's Mask and Link's Awakening are clearly designed to have stories that fit the gameplay and not vice-versa, and it makes for a very tight experience. Twilight Princess on the other hand has a lot of padding (getting the Master Sword takes waaaay too long) and plot threads that go nowhere.

BoomToon

Smash Apprentice
Majora's Mask has been my favorite Zelda game since it came out. At the time it was just so different than any of the past Zelda titles out there and it still kind of is. I love seeing how much of a following MM has received over the years.

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
As someone who speedruns both OoT and TP, its a hard choice to say which I like most. The nostalgia of OoT is really appealing but I feel like I enjoy the feel of TP more as it was so dark. When you breakdown on a speedruning level how broken as crap OoT is its honestly really fun and ridiculous, so Id say that OoT is prob my fav due to that. Although the crazyness that is MM and its symbolism and allusions to staged of grief kinda makes it a bread winner.

D

Deleted member

My favorite Zelda games are Skyward Sword and Majora's Mask. I do enjoy Ocarina of Time and A Link to the Past, however. Though, I should give credit to Twilight Princess for making me a Zelda fan.

Simensis

Smash Apprentice
Definetly OOT and MM are my favorite ones. The best stories, music, characters and mechanics for me. Have played OOT fifteen times and never get tired of it. Have not finished MM a lot of times but I love going to certain moments again and again.
I like to see OOT as the Lord of the rings of videogames and MM like... Ummm... Alice in wonderland? Will have to work on that analogy.
Also a huge fan of TP because of the same reasons. I believed it failed a little in the items but the bosses! Oh my! The most fun and cool bosses IMO.

Jake The Preacher

The Amateur Preacher
I really liked the classic, original feel of the original one. Don't get me wrong, a Link to the Past was great, personally I just liked the original better than it. OOT, oh man. Played it as a kid, thought it was good. Played it again as a teen, I was so wrong as a kid. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOD. Majoras mask, really really scary when you start thinking about it, but still one of my favorites because it gave more of a spotlight to Young Link. Skyward Sword we'd been waiting on so long and it just gave inspiration and was just amazing

Jakor

Smash Ace
Majora's Mask is my absolute favorite, with Wind Waker coming in a close second. I really liked the atmosphere and gameplay variety of MM while I loved the exploration and open world feel of WW.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
No matter what anyone says about OOT being overrated, it will always be the best Zelda game and best video game in general I have ever played. That game showed me that video games are works of art, a creation consisting of love, story, and emotion.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
No matter what anyone says about OOT being overrated, it will always be the best Zelda game and best video game in general I have ever played. That game showed me that video games are works of art, a creation consisting of love, story, and emotion.
Ocarina might not be the #1 game on my list, but I love it enough to respect that opinion completely because it truly is an amazing, revolutionary game.

Toon link is 2cute!

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4699-6547-1774
Wind waker, majoras mask, oot, link between worlds and to the past

I love wind waker the most simply because it was so fun cute, and intriguing. Plus link had expressions. HE HAD EXPRESSIONS!!!! I also love the cel shading

Majoras mask was my first zelda. All the sidequests were really fun. And the 3 day cycle was pretty interesting and cool

Oot was fun, mainly because of the dungeons and the story. Plus the child and adult thing was cool

Lttp was the best 2D zelda game i played. It was a great game, and man that dark world theme is epic! He only problem is the fact that it became too difficult when i played it on gba when i was like 8
I like lbw for the same reasons as lttp, and the lorule theme was even awesomer than dark world them

Last edited:

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
:link:
These kinds of lists are always hard for me to do. Ha ha. Though I'll admittedly be indecisive (to myself) about some things, let me give it a shot anyway:

1. Majora's Mask - My favorite TLoZ game before it was "cool" to think so; I still vividly remember my first time playing it (on the limited edition cartridge, of course).

2 / 3. A Link to the Past - My first time playing a video game and on top of that, my first TLoZ game; First played when I was 2 years old, beat it when I was 6. Some of the fondest memories of my life (it did begin my love towards TLoZ series, which is now and has been my favorite in any kind of entertainment medium since)

2 / 3. Ocarina of Time - So many memories, rivaled only by ALttP in nostalgia; Revolutionary game, not overrated by any means.

4. The Wind Waker - Another game that I adored upon release, before it was "cool" to do so; Best combat in any TLoZ game to date (so fluent!), new original styled graphics for a Zelda game with the perfect use of cel-shading, and I really love the character and personality given to Link. Still incredible with WWHD.

5. A Link Between Worlds - Really an almost flawless experience as far as I am concerned. The only flak I'd give to it is that its over-world, being derived and inspired from ALttP (understandable as it is a sequel, of course) makes it less "original" (for a lack of a better word) for me to place it where ALttP stands.

. . . I have multiple reasons as to why it is difficult for me to place ALttP and / or OoT over one another, so at my own leisure, I am going to leave the list as it is. Ha.

P.S. It is to be determined upon more information and its release, of course, but I have a feeling that TLoZ for Wii U is going to be something really special.

Last edited:

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I actually enjoyed all of the major 3D Zeldas except for... here we go, don't kill me. Ocarina of Time. Yes, I said it. I enjoyed A Link to the Past quite a lot, and Majora's Mask probably the most. However, I just don't feel that OoT aged very well compared to some of the others (just an opinion). That being said, OoT was a revolutionary experience at the time. The amount of times I've gone back and re-played AlttP, MM, and even WW far outweighs OoT or TP personally. I liked Skyward Sword, but I also don't feel the need to go back to it like the others.

Last edited:

PillsBuryDopeBoy

Führer President King DopeLord The VI
3DS FC
3325-3900-7222
Wind Waker is without a doubt my Favorite Zelda game. It managed to bring so much emotion and character to Link (who's basically a blank slate). Sailing,fighting,exploring, there is just so much too do.

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
WW and TP would be my favorite ones. The style and feel of of Wind Waker is just so beautiful all the way through and it gets even better with how stunning WWHD is. As for TP, I feel like their effort for being dark was a little exaggerated at times, but the graphics, the settings, the movement and feel of every single character was so on point that the game was a joy to experience. I actually enjoyed it more than OoT. I still need to play MM and Link Between Worlds at some time.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
5. Phantom Hourglass
Almost as fun and enjoyable as Wind Waker. Had some surprisingly tough puzzles and one of my favorite developed Zelda characters (Linebeck).

4. Link to the Past
This game helped shape Zelda to what it is today. Great story, colorful graphics, tons of new items, and overall just an amazing game.

3. Ocarina of Time
Probably the best 2D to 3D transition ever done. A true masterpiece in innovation, story-telling, and gaming in general.

2 Majora's Mask
I was really close to placing this in the #1 spot, though I found #1 to be a tad better. It overall improved over Ocarina, and the 3 day system is one of my favorite gaming mechanics.

1. Wind Waker
One of my favorite games of all time. Each island has something unique about it and the story-telling was top notch.

LinkSword93

Smash Cadet
NNID
Umdytr
3DS FC
3668-9197-4509
I love how MM and WW are so high in the poll results. Those are my two absolute favorite Zelda titles. The former is hauntingly beautiful, intense, rightfully dark and eerie... and I love the masks and the 3-day mechanic. The latter feels like a truly epic adventure throughout the ocean with seemingly endless places to explore, and despite how much crap Aonuma got from fans about the drastic artstyle changes, I was in love with everything about it.

The rest of my list below ranks 1st and 2nd is harder to fill in - having played every Zelda released to this day there is much to enjoy about each title and ordering them is a high task. But I'd like to mention I really like Adventure of Link. The side-scrolling and leveling up mechanics felt fresh and unique in a Zelda game for 13~14 year old me, and its punishing difficulty, rather than scaring me off, really opened me up to the world of retro games.

Also, I have to mention I do not share the Ocarina love, or at least not to the extent of most of the fandom. I really enjoy the game, but there isn't much in neither mechanics nor story (nor atmosphere) where it stands out for me - plus, it's incredibly easy. Having replayed Ocarina of Time in 3DS just a few weeks ago, this opinion has not changed. I do want to try out Master Quest at some point later, though.

Last edited:

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
So, the only console Zelda game I had never played, Wind Waker, just got played over the past week, and omg what a good game. Top 3 Zeldas for sure, loved it!

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Majora's Mask will always be my favorite. I also like Link's Awakening and Oracle of Seasons quite a lot. I am enjoying my ALBW playthrough also.

2004Zilla

Smash Master
NNID
2004Zilla
Twilight Princess and Ocarina of Time (sue me).

I would like to try out Majora's Mask but no Zelda makes me sad.

Krugy

Smash Cadet
Wind Waker and Link Between Worlds are by far my favorites. I've played every Zelda to completion (excluding Zelda2 and Seasons) and these two still stand out as the best of the best. WW had so much content and little nooks to explore and LBW had what made every Zelda great in one handheld game. Skyward Sword had my favorite story but the motion gimmick was atrocious. I played Ocarina too far after it's time to think it was that amazing.

LuffyLink

Smash Apprentice
My favorites zelda games so far are OoT, MM, SS, ALBW and WW (which are also five of my favorites games). I didn't play every Zelda games but I think I would love TP and Hyrule Warriors (Shoot! It's not really a zelda game).

greatbernard

Smash Apprentice
This poll pretty much confirms my suspicions yet again.

Most people just play the 3D games and maybe ALTTP.

They ignore the Oracles, Link's Awakening, The Minish Cap, the DS and NES games.

Then they conclude Ocarina of Time is the best because they've only played 5-6 Zelda games.

2004Zilla

Smash Master
NNID
2004Zilla

They ignore the Oracles, Link's Awakening, The Minish Cap, the DS and NES games.

Then they conclude Ocarina of Time is the best because they've only played 5-6 Zelda games.
I don't see the problem here. So what if they like OOT? It's their opinion, not yours.

Apologies if this came off as hostile.

Last edited:

greatbernard

Smash Apprentice
Ok, let me clarify.

If someone says "I only played 5 Zelda games but OOT is my favorite" that'd be fine.

If someone says "OOT is the best ZELDA GAME OF ALL TIME!!!" when they only played 5 Zelda games, it's more than just an opinion.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974

I'm confused as to how the poll itself confirms this, and I'm also confused why you're coming into a thread about "favorite Zeldas" to complain about people who hold up OoT as the best.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I have a lot of fond memories playing Majora's Mask, but if I had to choose what was my favorite title in the series, I'd have to say a Link to the Past. As someone who first started with the 3D Zelda games, I could not find anything negative to talk about in my first playthrough in that game, other than perhaps the low-heart alert. It's the kind of game that I could play again over and over, and I wouldn't lose interest during all of it.

Oh, and it has Ganon in there. And I think Ganon the beast is a much better villain than Ganondorf the Gerudo, which is why I think he would be a great playable character in Smash.

FinalArcadia

Smash Cadet
NNID
FinalArcadia
1) Wind Waker (especially the HD version) - I just love all the character and personality that the game oozes. This was my favorite incarnation of Ganondorf, and I really loved sailing the Great Sea. Plus, that Link is the best Link, I stand firm on that point.

2) Twilight Princess

After those two, I'm actually not sure. WW and TP are so far ahead of the others to me I'm not sure what third place would be.

Top Bottom