• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falcon's Worst Matchups - Strategizing Time *Updated 4/14/08, Zelda, Kirby, Sonic*

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Ok so I've come to the conclusion that there's no point in wasting time trying to strategize against Ice Climbers. It's totally useless when they can 0% to Death you just by getting one grab in. I've seen it. It's real. Ice Climbers = Top Tier imo.

Revolutionary1804

Smash Apprentice
Falcons B-air has alot of priority over metaknights moves.... it is the go to move for edguarding... unless u want to risk a raptor boost meteor and excite the crowd lol

Runeblade279

Smash Apprentice
Ok so I've come to the conclusion that there's no point in wasting time trying to strategize against Ice Climbers. It's totally useless when they can 0% to Death you just by getting one grab in. I've seen it. It's real. Ice Climbers = Top Tier imo.
Yeah their chain grab is nasty..

I'd say our best strategy is what we've mentioned - Kill Nana. Don't get grabbed. Pray. >.<

Iwan

Smash Ace
OMG....okay, so i played a decent (barely decent) lucario player yesterday. I destroyed him when i was marth, link, and falco.

Then i decided to throw out the Captain.

The matches were (somehow, some way) close. It was so frustrating...the lucario was super predictable, but there was what seemed like almost NOTHING i could do to get sometihng going against him. He would continuously roll dodge, and then try and dash grab me...and even if i spot dodged I'd get punished with a (SPAMMED) dsmash. Also, he kept running from me, camping with those projectiles...forcing me to approach non stop, which falcon sucks at. The only thing i could consistently hit him with was falcon dive (because he spammed his dair way too much from above)

This could very well be because i've NEVER EVER played a lucario player before yesterday, and i'm just not used to that opponent yet. And i didn't lose every match...i won 3 out of the 4 we played. It's just it was WAY too close for how good (see: average) this player was.

Anyone else having troubles with lucario?

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Just two days ago I lost 2/3 to a Lucario player that I am 100% sure is significantly worse than I am. Seriously. Part of it was lag (**** Wi-Fi) but part of it was just that even when I predicted everything he did I had no counters to it. It was royally obnoxious and I lost my nerve quite quickly.

I think it's just that certain players use their characters in ways that get under Falcon's skin. Heck, one of my friends does nothing but spam Fsmash, Running A, and Charge B with Samus. And yet it's still challenging to beat him. Luckily I am always able to pull off a victory but the mere fact that it's even close bothers me.

Iwan

Smash Ace
Just two days ago I lost 2/3 to a Lucario player that I am 100% sure is significantly worse than I am. Seriously. Part of it was lag (**** Wi-Fi) but part of it was just that even when I predicted everything he did I had no counters to it. It was royally obnoxious and I lost my nerve quite quickly.

I think it's just that certain players use their characters in ways that get under Falcon's skin. Heck, one of my friends does nothing but spam Fsmash, Running A, and Charge B with Samus. And yet it's still challenging to beat him. Luckily I am always able to pull off a victory but the mere fact that it's even close bothers me.

haha...exactly. I knew **** well that, every time, the lucario was going to dash grab and miss me>>>roll dodge away>>>dash grab and miss me again>>>roll dodge away. Rinse repeat...until he grabbed me. Not to mention, every time i sheilded a smash move from lucario, it spaced me so i couldn't grab him.

So here I am, sitting there trying to grab lucario like an idiot. And bam...punished. Now i know what A2ZOMG meant by "bad grab range". lol.

Honestly, other than kirby and lucario, I'm not having any troubles fighting...against any of the other characters (that i tend to fight against regularly, that is).

**goes to lucario boards to....scout....**

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
haha...exactly. I knew **** well that, every time, the lucario was going to dash grab and miss me>>>roll dodge away>>>dash grab and miss me again>>>roll dodge away. Rinse repeat...until he grabbed me. Not to mention, every time i sheilded a smash move from lucario, it spaced me so i couldn't grab him.

So here I am, sitting there trying to grab lucario like an idiot. And bam...punished. Now i know what A2ZOMG meant by "bad grab range". lol.

Honestly, other than kirby and lucario, I'm not having any troubles fighting...against any of the other characters (that i tend to fight against regularly, that is).

**goes to lucario boards to....scout....**
I think Wolf falls under the same category as Lucario. Actually, I find that pretty much any character with a movement-based Fsmash is a challenge for Falcon (Sheik, Wolf, Fox, etc.).

Good luck trolling the Lucario boards though. lol

Nowaytoeatatater

Smash Ace
*sigh*

It just bothers me that Falcon is so ****ing horrible in Brawl. Can Sakurai ever get the balance right? I mean, really, he's worse than Mewtwo.

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
OMG....okay, so i played a decent (barely decent) lucario player yesterday. I destroyed him when i was marth, link, and falco.

Then i decided to throw out the Captain.

The matches were (somehow, some way) close. It was so frustrating...the lucario was super predictable, but there was what seemed like almost NOTHING i could do to get sometihng going against him. He would continuously roll dodge, and then try and dash grab me...and even if i spot dodged I'd get punished with a (SPAMMED) dsmash. Also, he kept running from me, camping with those projectiles...forcing me to approach non stop, which falcon sucks at. The only thing i could consistently hit him with was falcon dive (because he spammed his dair way too much from above)

This could very well be because i've NEVER EVER played a lucario player before yesterday, and i'm just not used to that opponent yet. And i didn't lose every match...i won 3 out of the 4 we played. It's just it was WAY too close for how good (see: average) this player was.

Anyone else having troubles with lucario?
**** man! I had the same problem. I don't even know if I could call the person I was playing almost decent. I can kill him when he's using any other character, but that **** Lucario. I think it's the delay in his smashes. I couldn't spot dodge anything. Lucario's ariels kill me.

The only thing I can thing of is getting under him and spamming uair. I don't know what to do on the ground.

Iwan

Smash Ace
I had trouble with my friend today...who apparently has been slaving away at becoming a DK main. And he completely destroyed me today.

To be more specific, he's an extremely campy DK.

annoying

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I wanna hear about what others think about Ganondorf vs Falcon. It's probably a much more even matchup in Brawl than in Melee.

If anything, it seems oddly enough BOTH of you are going to combo each other to death, depending on who gets the first hit. At least, that's what I'd think of this match. Ganondorf when standing is probably tall enough to N-air or U-air. Both of you have deadly D-air combo setups. Ganondorf wins a little in approaching and comboing with his amazing Dash attack and Forward B, but Falcon wins a little more in survival due to better recovery.

And ow at being destroyed by Lucario. Sucks that Falcon is bad at killing a lot here. Key to winning here is gimping. At least Falcon is IMO good at doing that, since if Lucario does a wall cling, even under FD you can try to punish it with an Up-B, and if you miss you can still make it safely back to the stage.

Can you Dash attack through Aura Sphere? Ganondorf can at least, but I dunno bout Falcon.

If you can, counterpick hmmm Shadow Moses against Lucario because he fails at killing vertically. Also if you're going to play defensively against Lucario, stay above him likewise. His U-smash while it does have much range won't kill (and neither will his U-tilt or U-air IIRC), and all of Lucario's smashes have a ton of ending lag. Well, actually don't be above Lucario at low percents. You don't want to be U-tilt juggled. But if you see him about to whiff an F-smash or D-smash, be ready with something like a D-air.

Too bad Falcon Punches aren't super effective against Lucario. =(

Sounds like to me the only real way to effectively punish Lucario is like powershielding his Smashes and ****. =O

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Zelda:

Troubles - Side + B campage, High Priority, LONG LASTING, smashes, bloody annoying jab/tilts, shield knockback is great

Solutions - There has been much conflict over what Falcon can/cannot, should/should not do to fight against Zelda. General stuff I've seen:

- Falcon Kick for spacing, dodge side+B
- Her dair sucks! Uair away!
- Side+B whiffed is laggy, grab or hit her after dodging if you didn't falcon kick
- Bait and puniiish, as usual
- In case of guarding against smashes, spot dodging is nigh useless, rolling is a good option, and if you shield, it's -always- longer than you think, don't be fooled.
- Her jab and tilts are good, but you outrange them with yours! =D
Just want to add to the Falcon Kick part of this. I don't play Brawl much anymore but one thing I've realized is this when fighting Zelda. Din's Fire is owned by Falcon Kick. You can dodge with it because you can use Falcon Kick and it'll explode behind you and you'll be in her face or have already hit her. If she does get the explosion, it shouldn't do anything. Your Falcon Kick might lose some distance, but you're fine. This IS your approach strategy against a spamming Zelda. I cannot stress this enough. That is all, probably already said.

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
I had trouble with my friend today...who apparently has been slaving away at becoming a DK main. And he completely destroyed me today.

To be more specific, he's an extremely campy DK.

annoying
Yeah, I've got a friend like this. A defensive DK beats an offensive Falcon. And I can't play offensive Falcon well.
I try though...

Anyway, I'm thinking of going to this tourny and I was wondering if I could pull up some advice for dealing with MKs. I mean, I think I can play my way around a good Snake, but I'm scared of MK.

EDIT> Heh... the tourny
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=169344

mugwhump

Smash Journeyman
Kay guys I'm fighting a ROB in a tourney today, what are some good anti-ROB strats? >:3

cheetacuz007

Smash Apprentice
My brother mains Snake.
All he does is buttonmash randomly and he wins!
I try falcon kicks and raptor boosts but he uses the aaa combo or f-tilt and knocks me away.
And after he wins he brags about how he's the best and crap.
and im like wtf!!!

Wogrim

Smash Lord
You're probably just rushing your approaches too much; make him miss. Or just switch to someone like Ike and destroy him if you just want to put him in his place.

Tenki

Smash Hero
My brother mains Snake.
All he does is buttonmash randomly and he wins!
I try falcon kicks and raptor boosts but he uses the aaa combo or f-tilt and knocks me away.
And after he wins he brags about how he's the best and crap.
and im like wtf!!!
Looks like you need to learn your matchups ^^;

Just some tips vs Snake's close combat game:
- Learn his tilt range: "respect his really long legs", and you'll get caught less often.
- On the ground, his blindspot is... behind him. He doesn't have any sweeping attacks.
- In the air, Snake is most dangerous if you're behind him (fast B-air), but he needs double jumps or some outrageous height to cancel the lag on his aerials, so look for landing lag.

It's similar to fighting DK - strong forward ground game (though his u-tilt covers behind and above him, too), and strong backwards aerial game.

I'm not sure exactly if Falcon has the mobility to get around them, but it's just what I take advantage of when I use Sonic, and it's worked well so far.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Wouldn't it be a good idea to add stage selection in the strategy against characters? I remember on the Melee Falcon boards there was a list of good CP stages and bad stages against every character in Melee.

EDIT: Here's the thread with stage selection info for Melee Falcon: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=106269
Falcon's only real stage advantages in my opinion are Pirate Ship and Port Town (as I've already stated earlier in this thread). Pirate Ship is good because you can utilize Dair thanks to the water and Port Town is good because you have F-Zero Chi going on.

Other than that there are no stages that favor him to any degree that would effect the outcome of a match. There are certainly some bad stages based on different character matchups, but I think by now everyone knows not to fight Marth at Battlefield or Falco/DeDeDe and Final Destination.

Blackbelt

Smash Lord
Falcon's only real stage advantages in my opinion are Pirate Ship and Port Town (as I've already stated earlier in this thread). Pirate Ship is good because you can utilize Dair thanks to the water and Port Town is good because you have F-Zero Chi going on.

Other than that there are no stages that favor him to any degree that would effect the outcome of a match. There are certainly some bad stages based on different character matchups, but I think by now everyone knows not to fight Marth at Battlefield or Falco/DeDeDe and Final Destination.
Well yeah, those matchups are obvious.

But some of the other ones aren't.

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette

The stage doesn't necessary have to benefit Falcon. It can also hurt his opponent. For instance, in Melee, PokéFloats was an especially good Falcon level, but it reduced laser spam, so it was a good CP stage against Fox and Falco.

Violent-nin

Smash Ace
If anyone could post some information or tips about Falcon vs DDD match-up it'd be most appreciated.

Obviously one would be not to get Chain-grabbed. XD

Wogrim

Smash Lord
try looking at the match up thread.it has lots of information.its stickied
Actually for some reason it's the submission thread that's stickied. The guide is in a separate thread and has a link in the first post of the stickied one. Sorry I havn't updated it recently, I've been trying to get footage together for a combo video.

BlackTulip

Smash Cadet
If anyone could post some information or tips about Falcon vs DDD match-up it'd be most appreciated.

Obviously one would be not to get Chain-grabbed. XD
CF vs DDD is a pretty straight forward match up. DDD will own you most of the time unless...You have great mindgames and can spot dodge well. Show no mercy when DDD is off the edge, You can **** in that are against DDD.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Some additions on Wolf vs. CF. If you really want to defeat Wolf, you should try to keep the battle in the air as much as possible. Wolf dislikes CFs uair and his bair. They are hard to counter with shine and can combo at low percentages

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
Anybody have any tips on fighting a Ness? My brother uses him and I'm getting *****. And by *****, I mean he beats me sometimes. But that's unacceptable dammit!
I have to win all the time!!!

Majora_younglink

Smash Apprentice
Anybody have any tips on fighting a Ness? My brother uses him and I'm getting *****. And by *****, I mean he beats me sometimes. But that's unacceptable dammit!
I have to win all the time!!!
If I had to give some tips it'd probably be never give him space enough to use his PKs well and abuse C Falcons longer range. Also try to spike him when you can. Ness has a hard time recovering from them.

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
Why do people use the term "*****"? I don't like it.
We're using it in similar way to the phrase "getting ****ed." But it's purely meant in a negative way. Of course when we say "*****," we are referring to unwanted sexual intercourse. You know, like the "getting ****ed," term I mentioned before. It's just a word that has entered the internet vernacular through constant popular use.

It means getting your *** beat down, pretty much.

Tenki

Smash Hero
WTF did you bump this for? It's not updated and got replaced by a different matchup thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom