• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Falco Q&A

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
I was wandering around and decided to come here just to read my laser spacing theories again. I'm pretty awesome. In theory anyway...

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
yea i wish i could see more cactuar videos

tournies used to be m2k then cactuar

now its like m2k and jman

cactuar love the game more son

Knossos

Smash Rookie
Starting to use Falco (I suck x_x) since I've always seen him as my potential 2ndary.
I just can't get down how to use shine effectively.(I can't get down pillaring at all :[)

Rannskita

Smash Journeyman
man i wish i got offers like that in england with falcos of that calibre

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Thanks for the shine upsmash inputs lol. I know its not a good idea to do just something id do cuz I really only play falco to increase my tech skill. So Im down to do anything lol.[if I can]

I hope melee never dies, or that they make an update for melee, not smash in general.

ie brawl sucks **** and gags on it so it actually sucks **** at sucking ****.

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
ew update melee? no way

if they added characters and stages but left everything the same i would be tight because

matchups, tier list, cp rules

a bunch of stuff are gonna change

i dont wanna have to learn new matchups

melee is perfect as is

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
new characters stages music etc are updates. Thats what I wish. I dont want the gameplay to change. maybe a few alterations to the lower tiers for balance maybe. but I kinda like them to suck

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
cause they're really frequently not safe.

the rest of the time it's cause you're stupid and refuse to just camp *****es :p...

or you just camp spacing moves instead cause you're that good at doing that stupid I-am-here-and-you-are-never-getting-past-me-cause-I-am-a-Cactus-wall bull****.

but yea, your Falco is what inspired me to do that no Lasers for a month of friendlies exercise that I still think was the biggest help of anything I ever did to improve my laser game.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Haha... that sounds really similar to something else....

Soon after I had started practicing Fox, someone told me to occassionally practice playing Fox without using his shine, and I always felt like it really helped my game. Not having access to something that I relied on really improved my overall game by highlighting where I needed to shine and where I was shining unnecessarily. Dramatically improved the flow of my actions when I was hitting people and starting my setups that lead into setups that lead into setups sequences that don't really count as combos but might as well be.

You always did appreciate theory stuff a lot more than most other players. Glad to see that it has been paying off. :)

And yes, I am a big wall of prickly. :laugh:

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
yo mogwai

smashfest this weekend or que?
my boy otg cant do one
i played him today and i have a beast marth, i just found out lol
so yea

Falcinho

Smash Ace
Dayum, why do so many Falcos play that mindless?

Falco is a f******* good character so c'mon lets step it up and show everybody what's up

The only thing that you mustn't do is a mistake : D

whatever, many anti-Falco strategies are based on counterattacking his approach like Sheik's nair OoS or Fox's FJ nair over a SHL .
So the hard thing is to counter that by NOT approaching into counter attacks while still giving your opponent the feeling that you stay aggressive.
Zhu does a really good job in this part of his game if you ask me.

umm yeah i just wanted to share my thoughts because i feel like many Falcos get ***** by that =D

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
b4 I return to topic, Id just like to say melee would be immensly better if I could use the C stick in 1 player modes.

done, melee just tight

edit: still and again lol

battousai555

Smash Ace
Is late dair->waveshine behind your opponent punishable (assuming the dair hit the opponent's shield)? What about if you waveshine backwards out of his/her grab-range?

Edit: to clarify, the dair hits the front of his/her shield, then you shine, then you WD either backward or forward.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
well, let's put it this way...

assuming you JC your shine on the first possible frame the opponent is already 3 frames out of Shield stun by the time you're airborne from your jump. Since a perfect wave dash happens on the first airborne frame, that means that you'll have X-3 frames for your wavedash to take you out of range of your opponents move out of shield where X is the first hitbox/grabbox frame of whatever they're doing. In most cases, we're worried about a grab, and for most characters that we care about getting grabbed by, the first grab box from a standing grab is on frame 7, so you have 4 frames of WD movement before their grab comes out (all of this is of course assuming frame perfect movements on both sides). In some cases, this will be enough to move away, in others, it won't, it all depends on the spacing. Add in other options like aerial OoS and Up B out of shield and the problem of whether it's punishable or not become pretty difficult.

So now that I've given you the long answer, the short answer is that if you're right on top of them, WDing behind them after the shine usually won't be punished so long as your opponent doesn't have a stupid up B OoS, and if you're hitting with the further part of your dair, WDing back out of range usually won't be punished either.

Suffice to say that it's situationally punishable, but as with most of Falco's shield pressure, it's good so long as your opponent can't predict it, it's extremely difficult for them to punish. As long as you're mixing your shield pressure up, your opponent's gonna have a helluva time punishing you.

battousai555

Smash Ace

assuming you JC your shine on the first possible frame the opponent is already 3 frames out of Shield stun by the time you're airborne from your jump. Since a perfect wave dash happens on the first airborne frame, that means that you'll have X-3 frames for your wavedash to take you out of range of your opponents move out of shield where X is the first hitbox/grabbox frame of whatever they're doing. In most cases, we're worried about a grab, and for most characters that we care about getting grabbed by, the first grab box from a standing grab is on frame 7, so you have 4 frames of WD movement before their grab comes out (all of this is of course assuming frame perfect movements on both sides). In some cases, this will be enough to move away, in others, it won't, it all depends on the spacing. Add in other options like aerial OoS and Up B out of shield and the problem of whether it's punishable or not become pretty difficult.

So now that I've given you the long answer, the short answer is that if you're right on top of them, WDing behind them after the shine usually won't be punished so long as your opponent doesn't have a stupid up B OoS, and if you're hitting with the further part of your dair, WDing back out of range usually won't be punished either.

Suffice to say that it's situationally punishable, but as with most of Falco's shield pressure, it's good so long as your opponent can't predict it, it's extremely difficult for them to punish. As long as you're mixing your shield pressure up, your opponent's gonna have a helluva time punishing you.
Thank you very much. I was just curious b/c I've been SGed in both situations before, and I wasn't sure if my opponent had really good timing or I was just too sluggish.

metashinryu

Smash Ace

wait a min... perfect wavedashes are on first AIRBORNE frame? you dont even need to leave the ground to make them,or thats what i thought.

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
I know you made some thread about the should I use x or y in different scenerios and u were annoyed but all I want to know assuming u dont have very fast figures the y button would be the most effective button to use for wavedashing to cancel a reflector as soon as possible right? Cause right now I am relearning my wavedash using the l and y button instead of the x and r button which i already have perfected a long time ago but i want a fast technical falco. also is there some weird lag that u have to deal with when trying to wavedash out of ur reflector because I am having troubles with that shiz niz its like it wont let me instantly wavedash out of it or for some reason i short hop out of it instead.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I know you made some thread about the should I use x or y in different scenerios and u were annoyed but all I want to know assuming u dont have very fast figures the y button would be the most effective button to use for wavedashing to cancel a reflector as soon as possible right? Cause right now I am relearning my wavedash using the l and y button instead of the x and r button which i already have perfected a long time ago but i want a fast technical falco.
From that annoyed post:

Mogwai said:
If you wanna get really technical about the physical convenience of the buttons, Y is closer to B which makes it more convenient for quickly jumping and then hitting B (so like, laser techniques and jc shining). They are roughly the same distance from the C-Stick and are 100% the same distance from A. There we go... end of discussion, that's all there is to it.
-_-.

so yea, sure, Y is physically more convenient if you only use distance from one button to another as the metric for convenience. This should be obvious though.

also is there some weird lag that u have to deal with when trying to wavedash out of ur reflector because I am having troubles with that shiz niz its like it wont let me instantly wavedash out of it or for some reason i short hop out of it instead.
if you hit a person or shield you have to wait for the hitlag to wear off which is like 5 frames or something (0.087 seconds). If you're not hitting anything or reflecting anything, you can jump out of the shine on the 4th frame I believe.

EDIT: for clarification, with hit lag, you can start jumping out of the shine 5 frames later than usual, not on the 5th frame, so that would be on the 9th frame that you could jump out of a shine that hits something.

ALSO, just practice until you get it right. that's how the rest of us have done it. There are 2 timings:
1. I didn't hit anything.
2. I hit something.
If you just practice these two scenarios a little, the timing gets ingrained in your muscle memory and then you don't have to worry about wavedashing out of shines anymore.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
hopefully they demonstrate that what Metashinryu is talking about being airdodging while on the ground is actually just Falco stretching out during his first airborne frame and looking sorta like he's still on the ground.

but yea, they also look cool too.

metashinryu

Smash Ace
hopefully they demonstrate that what Metashinryu is talking about being airdodging while on the ground is actually just Falco stretching out during his first airborne frame and looking sorta like he's still on the ground.

but yea, they also look cool too.
allright,thanks for the info,but for real it looks like most chars never leave the ground when wavedashing

Blitz Falcon

Smash Apprentice
Haha... that sounds really similar to something else....

Soon after I had started practicing Fox, someone told me to occassionally practice playing Fox without using his shine, and I always felt like it really helped my game. Not having access to something that I relied on really improved my overall game by highlighting where I needed to shine and where I was shining unnecessarily. Dramatically improved the flow of my actions when I was hitting people and starting my setups that lead into setups that lead into setups sequences that don't really count as combos but might as well be.

You always did appreciate theory stuff a lot more than most other players. Glad to see that it has been paying off. :)

And yes, I am a big wall of prickly. :laugh:

So playing like that actually helps?

Like Falco with no lasers or maybe no Dairs?
Or Falcon with no knee?

That kinda thing?

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
So playing like that actually helps?

Like Falco with no lasers or maybe no Dairs?
Or Falcon with no knee?

That kinda thing?
Yes, just like only tech chasing for stocks or only edgegaurding. Forcing yourself to do something specific (either by doing something or taking something away) forces you to have to learn ways to still get what you want to happen.

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
I like that concept it made Catuars fox a unique kind of ****. I did that with my link at one time I just didnt use projectiles at all for several matches.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I do like that Idea of specific training. Im gonna do some of that as well.

Falco no lasers seems pretty good. then falco no dairs. Then falco all lasers lol. pew pew pew pew

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Have any of you thought of using this random recovery trick I was messing around with on YS?

On either ledge, do a ledge-hop, wave land back off the platform, then immediately jump when you're at the distance to platform cancel your illusion off the top platform?

It's similar to Forward's platform cancelled illusion from the edge of the stage, or either of the side platforms, but starting from hanging off the ledge.

I've never seen this done before. It would basically be Falco's equivelent to Falcon's ledge-hop WL backward, double jump aerial recovery.

Top Bottom