• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Falco Q&A

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
@dynamism

play whoever you like the most, and then make them your best :)

but if you really feel like your best characters are all equally good, theres no reason to not use them all for different matchups you feel really comfortable with...

eventually i bet one of your characters will stand out more so then your other characters though, and if they don't you could try asking people you play with and see who they have the most trouble with.. idk :lick:

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
Guys, as Falco's, what do you hate when a Fox does something to you? Shine spike? u-tilt spam? etc. What seems to get you the most often? :p

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
aggressive foxes give me the most trouble. fox has so many options that i can never cover enough of them and i end up taking a lot of painful hits. campy foxes are much easier to deal with. just laser lockdown and close in on their space. mix up sh nair shines, fh nair shines, grabs, and platform gayness. very difficult for falco to deal with if you space well and are fluid with it.

Ben-Teezee

Smash Apprentice
dont miss tech chases and read defensive jumps. Basically be prepared for when your combos arent guaranteed and punish their escapes. this makes Fox seem like he never lets go and makes falco even easier to read. gotta create that mental pressure.

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
are u guys seriously asking how to play falco

its not even hard

play falcon in tourney and then see how hard it really is

seriously

Fade2Nothing

Smash Rookie
uhh is this a q&a? something along those lines? uhm how do i shine out of shield and firebird edge stall? o_o

Ben-Teezee

Smash Apprentice
ok im not bad i dont think, i was play jman and colbol yesterday and i felt like id be able to deal wit them a lot better if i could shine outta shield consistantly, i have almost every other tech down, i just dont seem to be able to shine outta shield as fast as top level falcos, how did u guys practice it, and what button combinations do u use? i usually try to do Y, d+B, up on the control stick, but i wind up spot dodging waaaaay more than i like and eating punishes. ive tried practicing against other players and i can do it fine outta dash attacks and smash attacks, but when spacies come wit that pressure even when i know i have the time to do it (like they do a super early aerial and i block it high, i still fail to input properly. any advice would be helpful, thnx

Tri_Edge

Smash Rookie
lol I've been watching Mango's, Zhu's, Axe's, and Vectorman's falco lately since some people I know told me videos help.
They would help with the general concept of what to do in certain situations, and to know stages right?

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
home from apex.

money match count:
dr pp 0-2
unknown 0-2
mango 0-2
shiz 0-2
zhu 0-2

amount of knowledge gained: large.

big shoutout to those guys.

G

genkaku

What's the timing for shortening Phantasm? Is there a resource somewhere?
I can't do it consistently enough via button mash.

mistermoo564

Smash Rookie
This might even have its own thread somewhere, but I can't find it...

How do you do the tech where you drop from a platform, do some aerial (normally bair) and remain on the platform?

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
you need to hit something with the aerial.

basically, when you drop through a platform, there's some number of frames afterward (I wanna say 4, but am not sure) during which you cannot land back on the platform. by doing an aerial ASAP and hitting something, you generate enough hitlag to keep your bodybox high enough that when that period is over, you immediately land on the platform.

it's not a terribly useful technique, but every once in awhile you'll combo someone out of it and feel like a ****ing pimp :laugh:

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdIC_F9GHz8

this video is proof that i am better than dashizwiz

discuss :p

(just kidding, obviously)

i dunno, just point out anything that i'm failing to do or shouldn't be doing.. since, uh... i don't really use falco.

btw at 1:59, i was trying to bair -> walljump -> dair

tw1n

Smash Champion
double post

[scientology]
Lol this is win.

So at Apex i went mostly puff. But I was really happy that whenever my puff was failibg me (dumb luigis lol) my falco actually *****. Now maybe I can finally make that little pink ball my secondary ;)

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
any time you need range but don't need speed. for example. you dair through a CF's shield and land behind him... wait and utilt when he jumps. if you shine, you'll be out of range and eat a dair, but utilt will give you the extra range necessary. likewise, if you land right on top of someone's shield, shine because they can grab you before you can utilt.

Essentially, Shine is a better offensive move and utilt is a better defensive move. You can frequently bait people into approaching you and just utilting them because it has such a good hitbox.

Utilt:
pros
huge hitbox
good priority

cons
takes more frames to start up
takes more frames to end

Shine:
pros
fastest startup in the game
can be canceled immediately

cons
no range

If you're talking solely about when to use each when your opponent is in hitstun though... well, you just sorta have to get a feel for it. Essentially, if you think Shine will send them too high, utilt instead.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
sometimes, but it's really situational and I can't really explain when you need to do it and when you should shine other than "when shine would send them too high to combo, utilt instead." Sometimes you have to account for them being too high for shine to hit and then utilt is better too, but there's no convenient rule of thumb that I use for utilt vs. Shine when comboing, it's all just experience.

Incronaut

Smash Ace
very experienced falco players have been telling me that when i SHFFL I need to fast fall before i do my aerial, but whenever i even try to practice that, my aerial doesnt even come out! am i doing something wrong or are they telling me wrong stuff

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
very experienced falco players have been telling me that when i SHFFL I need to fast fall before i do my aerial, but whenever i even try to practice that, my aerial doesnt even come out! am i doing something wrong or are they telling me wrong stuff
search your feelings.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I don't really know how to explain the timing of how a good SHFFL comes together because Eggm gave me the same advice way back in the day and I had the exact same reaction. Just put that damage ratio at 0.5, turn your handicap all the way down to 1 and practice mass SHFFLs on level 1 (or unplugged player 2) Bowser until you learn to get the aerials as low as possible.

Kason Birdman

Smash Champion
wow. that thing about fastfalling BEFORE you aerial was really helpful and cleared up a lot of things for me.

I should step in here more often.

Top Bottom