• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Falco Q&A

DippnDots

Feral Youth
You gotta give it some time, it's still new and buggy. You know how long DOTA's been out? I used to play the original when it came out and seriously, the game has changed VASTLY, not just new items and heroes either.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
Ahaha league of legends is horrendous, stick with DotA.

If you autocancel your bairs, can you shine afterwards before they grab you?
LoL is awesome but if you've played DotA and prefer it, then w/e, stick to DotA. They play very differently, despite being the same fundamental formula.

with autocancelled bairs, well, if you don't space, they can almost certainly grab you cause you usually hit early with them since you put your hitbox out immediately. If you hit with the end of it, it's the weak hitbox anyway, so they probably again have time to grab, but if they get hit by the end hitbox, they most likely are at the edge of the spacing, and will be outside of grab range and if they're not, they're definitely out of shine range anyway. *shrugs* it's really not worth frame analysis because the situations where autocancelled bair on a shield are useful are all due to spacing and making them whiff on the grab attempt.

Doomblaze

Smash Journeyman
Yea a bunch of my friends love LoL and it got good reviews so I know its not bad, im just biased =P Ive been playing DotA since RoC and its 100% different now, ill probably delve into LoL and HoN this summer when i have time to burn, even though 4/5 of the HoN heros are exactly the same as the dota heros, xD

I dont use autocancelled bair in shield pressure because everyone i play against thinks they can grab me after i Nair/Dair and then i shine them and they get *****, so i was wondering when i would use it. Its fun to spam when theyre on the edge anyway.

Incronaut

Smash Ace
i finally found time to practice tech skill... so i know there's a bunch of things, but i was wondering what were some things too look out for while practicing (to avoid bad habits, to get better more efficiently, etc) and also if there's like a simple list of things i should learn to do

Nakamaru

Smash Master
Practice movement and ledge options. Ie, wavelanding on stage, SH double laser on stage, different laser barrages, platform movement, etc etc. Shines > WD onto a platform is something you can play with too.

TheLake

Smash Master
Mogwai pretend ammumu is falco so this isnt spam mmkay?

Ideal item builds? At least early game. I like health regeneration cause im starting to understand jungling but imma not sure...

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
i finally found time to practice tech skill... so i know there's a bunch of things, but i was wondering what were some things too look out for while practicing (to avoid bad habits, to get better more efficiently, etc) and also if there's like a simple list of things i should learn to do
just to expand on laser patterns: learn to IDJL both hi-lo and hi-mid, learn to isai drop (laser, land on a platform, walk forward a tiny bit, fall through and then laser again (or whatever action you need to be performing)).

also get your timing down for aerials off of platforms on the various stages, practice shine->options (SH aerial, WD forward, WD backward, another shine, shinegrab). Practicing shine waveland platform options is super useful. make sure you can RSHL both retreating and in place.

Incronaut

Smash Ace
just to expand on laser patterns: learn to IDJL both hi-lo and hi-mid, learn to isai drop (laser, land on a platform, walk forward a tiny bit, fall through and then laser again (or whatever action you need to be performing)).

also get your timing down for aerials off of platforms on the various stages, practice shine->options (SH aerial, WD forward, WD backward, another shine, shinegrab). Practicing shine waveland platform options is super useful. make sure you can RSHL both retreating and in place.
perfect! will get started on these! i think i have a good start already too

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
mogweezy, check out the progress thread later.

also, when are we playing LoL again, i'm trying to learn flava flav.

Incronaut

Smash Ace
i know this isnt exactly a falco question, but in general, are there more top tier main players, or high tier main players?

also, is it possible to laser the middle platform level on battlefield twice in one jump (or one double jump?) [i hope that made sense O_o"]

Kason Birdman

Smash Champion
hmm.. thats tough. there are a **** load of peach/falcon/jiggs mains.. but theres probably more top tier mains.

as for your second question.. i dont get what your saying.. when you say one jump do you mean short hop? cause then the answer would be no. or do you mean short hopping from the second level to the bottom level?

X1-12

Smash Champion
i know this isnt exactly a falco question, but in general, are there more top tier main players, or high tier main players?

also, is it possible to laser the middle platform level on battlefield twice in one jump (or one double jump?) [i hope that made sense O_o"]
its called platform drop lasers.. or something, basically you have to drop through, double jump then laser twice.. If you want to do this repeatedly you will have to 'isai drop' which is when after you land you walk a little bit then drop through

if the lasers are going too high then you have to wait a bit before your double jump

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
top tier.

despite the surge in Falcon popularity, the majority of the tournament scene is still Fox and Falco.

yes, just full hop with immediate lasers. Two should come out high an approximately the same height before you land.

Incronaut

Smash Ace
top tier.

despite the surge in Falcon popularity, the majority of the tournament scene is still Fox and Falco.

yes, just full hop with immediate lasers. Two should come out high an approximately the same height before you land.

ok sorry guys, i meant if youre on the ground, and you want to double laser on the lower platforms, how do you do it?

i think this answered my question, but whenever i try, i always end up with my first laser on the top platform, and my second laser on the right level =/

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
oh, you meant side platforms, not the top platform. "Middle" is a pretty ambiguous term when it comes to platforms, though I really think most people would assume the top platform, since it's the middle one horizontally.

Anyway, then no, you can't do it.

X1-12

Smash Champion
i think this answered my question, but whenever i try, i always end up with my first laser on the top platform, and my second laser on the right level =/
you can sorta do this if you're near the edge, but it doesnt work on DL64 ~(platforms are too high) but run off the stage, then straight away DJ reverse double laser, they should just really low on the platform

Incronaut

Smash Ace
you can sorta do this if you're near the edge, but it doesnt work on DL64 ~(platforms are too high) but run off the stage, then straight away DJ reverse double laser, they should just really low on the platform
ok sorry about the confusion guys! and thanks! back to lasering practice

Incronaut

Smash Ace
double post: if someone is jabbing your shield (and then probably going for a grab after it) but theyre out of shine oos or shield grab range (or theyre behind you) what are some options in that situation?

i always end up rolling and then getting predictable :/

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
yeah i feel like wavedash out of shield is a pretty safe bail option in that situation

Incronaut

Smash Ace
can you isai drop from doing an aerial? or is it unnecessary cause youre doing an aerial?

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
shine grab ***** marth/falcon/sheik

its freakin awesome

best time to shine grab is after you die and you walk up to someone and theyre just shielding

you can just grab but w/e

the next best time to shine grab is after a sh nair approach

raape

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Or just any time you want to grab them during shield pressure. Seriously, it's so ****. I've just started abusing it and it's so fast, you can't even react to it even if you know it's coming. I've never punished so many pre-emptive rolls in my life.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
The thing about reacting to it is that most people don't even know the counter-response, so it will just work on most people even when they know it's coming.

Characters with fast spot dodges can buffer a spot dodge after the shine and will get a frame advantage. Other characters just need to buffer a roll at the same timing.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
i just wish falco's throws were better. i dont shine grab that much cuz i just prefer to land somethign out of sheild pressure and get the bigger payoffs. sometimes ylu gotta risk it to get the biscuit.

but lolcombos with grab are funny.

X1-12

Smash Champion
vs sheik/ falcon you can still get decent combos off from a grab,

and marth i allways B/F-Throw, laser and they instinctively shield and then you grab again

X1-12

Smash Champion
I think at mid percentrs Up throw leads to like FH or instant DJ any aerial, probably dair then land and follow his tech with lasers to whatever and low % i jsut B-throw SHL or SHFFL nair/dair

Top Bottom