• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PPMD's Falco Discussion Thread

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
Well objectively Falco has a poor DD, it's short and he is "slow" out of his
Uthrow->LOL guess
dthrow->easy tech
fthrow->positioning
bthrow->positioning
You don't have to guess out of uthrow a lot of the time, albeit you won't get the most killer punish off it unless u wait and read a jump. I think it's probably his most consistent throw, and there are a lot of potential follow ups after it, especially on mid weight characters like marth/sheik

All his other throws are all about tricks lol

Dthrow is good in the middle of platforms (near the side they can di off pretty easy), near the ledge you can condition them to fthrow/bthrow and they'll probably miss their tech (or with fox this is probably the only time you'll be able to regrab them before they shine u). There are other things u can do with dthrow but I'm not very well versed in it tbh

Fthrow you can regrab at low percent, tech chase at higher percent vs fast fallers, and obv. Throw them off the stage. When you throw them off with either this or Bthrow, you can read the jump to the ledge by grabbing the ledge or ftilting, or read them jumping back onto the stage by fsmashing (if ur really confident lol) or time a bair. Allthough some characters (like spacies) have some other options u gotta cover

Bthrow u can throw them off or regrab at low percentage or wrong di.

Mixing together different throws and regrabs will mess up their di and lead to bigger openings for you.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
When should Falco do a rising double laser (facing off stage) to edge guard? It seems to be a lost art, no one really does it anymore other than Shiz in his sparse new footage and old gameplay.
When they are recovering at around or slightly above your level?

Also, I think every single Falco should adopt Westballz's shine->turnaround->rising dair edge guard. I doubt he coined it but he does it the most so yeah. It is 100% superior to doing a rising dair from the ledge and you can cover a lot more time and space with it.

Vixen

~::Fragile::~
Premium
i reverse doublelaser a ****ton. >_>

was playing around with shine turnaround dair a bunch pre-apex but after about 2 months of ******* around with it i found that in most situations it wasn't practical.

Swann

Smash Journeyman
shine->turnaround dair covers hella options if the opponent is at or below the ledge. I haven't messed with reverse lasers, I'll definitely be working that in

Vixen

Premium
It really doesn't. In most situations, regular invincible dair, bair, or reverse Nair are just as effective. There are few legitimate situations where the shine turnaround dair makes a real, practical difference.

Sent from my Event using Tapatalk 2

Bones0

Smash Legend
The turn around barely even matters. What's important is how you stall with the shine. Even with that in mind, I try to stick with the invincible dair. If they decide to attack you while recovering and you get hit out of your DJ it's usually game over. I only use shine turnaround dair on a consistent basis vs. Falcon/Ganon after they up-B.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
The turn around takes away their option to tech since a rising invincible dair stage spikes quite often, they also can't DI it on to the stage, and you can cover a lot more ground with it.

They have to be so close to you and you have to have your invincibility ready for invincible rising dairs to work well. I think it's less situational than a rising dair. Obviously don't drop if they can attack you, that's basic edgeguarding that goes for every character. But if they are stupid enough or DI'd bad enough and have to ride the wall up then go ahead and do an invincible dair.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I don't think the direction you are facing has any effect on what angle their trajectory is or how far they can DI it towards the stage. Just make sure you are hitting them with the correct side of the dair (the side furthest from the stage).

Bones0

Smash Legend
Yep I've been doing that for a good while now too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DqaT03DPCM
sooo me vs doc, i sware everytime i go to cali shroomed is in my pool, but i did way better this time (which still isn't that great) even though my MU experience with doc never changes.

tips, tricks, opinions, advice? ty
You kept trying to DJ fake him and ended up just falling on top of his attacks without a DJ. I do pretty good vs. Docs, and I mainly focus on coming down from the top plats with spaced aerials or lasers. If you realize the situation is bad and want to DJ out, just land back on the platform. Don't try and FF the DJ back through the plat into them. You also kept grabbing the ledge correctly for some of those edgeguards, but you didn't commit to the drop down dair during his cape/pill lag. Last thing I noticed is you shielded pretty randomly in neutral (especially that one part where Shroomed just crossed you up with aerials like 3 times in a row). I would WD OoS in those situations where they aren't in range of bair/dair OoS, but you still kinda have to worry about them coming at you with another aerial or a DA or something.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
You said you were rusty, so you should just practice imo.

Falco has been super fun lately! Been enjoyin the bird plenty.

Oh and about that double laser edgeguard comment.....

I try it some but if most Falcos see you run off they like side B'ing now because MOST people are lasering so it's better to runoff DJ Dair and mix in lasers later. The double lasers are still a great option for catching delayed jumps(shine stall or otherwise) and also up-Bs or immediate jumps but they don't handle immediate side Bs. If you can discourage that immediate/DJ side B you're in pretty good shape though lol.

Also, I think every single Falco should adopt Westballz's shine->turnaround->rising dair edge guard. I doubt he coined it but he does it the most so yeah. It is 100% superior to doing a rising dair from the ledge and you can cover a lot more time and space with it.
From being on the receiving end a lot, I think it depends. There are a lot of times where it was used against me where it missed where a Bair would have hit and achieved the same effect of killing me.

Rocketpowerchill

Smash Ace
wud you reccomend resetting edgeguards with a shine
thats a mango thing but i feel it necessary to reset immediately when im playing safe
especially on fd where i feel unloved by the ledge and incompetent
reset-> bair is a staple in edge guarding marth and shiek
i also reverse double lazer alot from the ledge and i am gonna def reverse my rising dairs now
and at low percents i shud be looking for cc downsmash/tilt alot right?

Bones0

Smash Legend
wud you reccomend resetting edgeguards with a shine
thats a mango thing but i feel it necessary to reset immediately when im playing safe
especially on fd where i feel unloved by the ledge and incompetent
reset-> bair is a staple in edge guarding marth and shiek
i also reverse double lazer alot from the ledge and i am gonna def reverse my rising dairs now
and at low percents i shud be looking for cc downsmash/tilt alot right?
What do you mean by resetting edgeguards with shine?

Rocketpowerchill

Smash Ace
drop down shine dj onto stage when someones recovering from the depths, usualy just pop up and bair them
obviously you cud always shine dair/bair every time right?
its annoying getting poked by marth and his up b,, every edgeguard thats ****ed up and results in you off stage without a jump shud always be a dead falco? right

Swann

Smash Journeyman
I mean that's pretty circumstantial. My first instinct is to say: you might as well just refresh ledge invincibility and punish.
If you're getting hit by dolphin slash, it's on you. Just play smarter, make sure to set it up such that you have invincibility when he has to recover. Both Marth and Sheik have hella landing lag from their on-stage recoveries; force them into a bad position and then make sure to punish as hard as you can.

Versus Marth, drop shine->bair/dair is more of a read than anything else. It's your call if you think that risking getting clipped by dolphin slash is worth it. I don't have much Sheik experience, so I'm just pushing theory here, but it seems like drop shine is a bit safer so long as you don't miss her and get hit by the explosion as you DJ back.

Bones0

Smash Legend
drop down shine dj onto stage when someones recovering from the depths, usualy just pop up and bair them
obviously you cud always shine dair/bair every time right?
its annoying getting poked by marth and his up b,, every edgeguard thats ****ed up and results in you off stage without a jump shud always be a dead falco? right
That's what I thought you meant, and yeah, it seems to be pretty good. I haven't had a chance to try it out since I noticed someone doing it a while back (PP I think).

Vixen

Premium
i havent been able to play melee. my controllers were stolen at apex, and i dont have a tv, cube, or melee. most people live pretty far from me. x_X

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
Who me???

Sort of >_> I definitely play the game and love it, but I haven't tried to improve in forever

Trying to figure out what I wanna do with it still

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
LOOOL the 123

And I can try to go to zenith we'll see; I wanna try to go to tournies in general but first ima spend the summer training or some bs like that

Dude for real though don't give me the 123 >_>

Bones0

Smash Legend
I'm not going to xanadu I have to study this weekend.

finals monday and tuesday.
I read that under the assumption you meant study Melee until you said your finals were on Monday and Tuesday instead of Sunday. ;)

shud i go to xanadu ill def mm you bones
ill get bodied
but i play to learn
thats that lambchops mentallty
btw its saturday right?
You don't have to MM me if you don't think you can win. We can just do a pride set or friendlies. And yeah, it's Saturday. The thread is in Tournament Listings if you didn't know.

Rocketpowerchill

Smash Ace
I read that under the assumption you meant study Melee until you said your finals were on Monday and Tuesday instead of Sunday. ;)

You don't have to MM me if you don't think you can win. We can just do a pride set or friendlies. And yeah, it's Saturday. The thread is in Tournament Listings if you didn't know.
okay and yea no sense in mming people better than me while i want to play to learn
i havent been to the monthly yet, lots a great people i heard, is m2k going

Top Bottom