• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco Boards Community Guide Discussion/Rough Draft *WE'RE NOT DONE YET!!! *

Jon?

Smash Champion
You guys might find this hilarious but I once got a kill on Snake with firebird! He was doing his c4 recovery at around 150% at Battlefield aiming for the slanted sides of the stage in order to tech properly. I grab the edge and use firebird to ledge stall. Then all of sudden Snake c4 recovers into my firebird, denying him the chance to tech off the side of the stage and sends him flying to his death. I thought it was one of the greatest things I've seen! If only I recorded it.

Hawks go Caw

Smash Ace
I've gotten two firebird kills ever, both the same way.

I recovered at the very lowest point I could with the Firebird and the opponent went for the ledge hog. Their invincibility ended and I connected with the last hit possible resulting in a stage spike and me grabbing the ledge. I wonder if we could time/space it if the opponent went for the ledge hog, they'd get hit at the end of invincibility if they timed it perfectly or get hit by the attack if they didn't.

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
I got a firebird kill to.

So a Fox threw me off the stage and edge-hogged me.

I fire-birded back, and it hit him, and he got stage spike. Then I won :)

I'll update that post tomorrow Hawks, thanks very much btw.

saviorslegacy ended up making a laser guide awhile back. We could take a look at that and see if there is anything worth using from that thread.
////////////////
I've actually gotten a lot of FireBird KOs surprisingly.

FireBird, I have found is a somewhat decent method attempting to gimp tether recoveries. Although, those have all been situational.

By far the most have come from people attempting to gimp me, failing and getting stage spiked. Or I end up in an UpB recovery battle.

YUNq PHR3$H

Smash Journeyman
Firebird Comes In Handy ;)
Ive Gotten One Too And Got Me A Stock Ahead.
BTW I Don't Have My Wii Atm && I Will Be Working Starting 2moro
Ill Try To Contribute As Much As I Can && I Should Be Gettin
Ma Wii Back Probably Friday So . . . Yea
Ill Also Fix Up The Guide I Made && Add Some Of Bleach'es Idea's;)

Jon?

Smash Champion
Man, there should be a whole page dedicated to how to get Firebird kills in our guide!

Denzi

Smash Master
BACK ON TOPIC.

I'm posting this here b/c I dunno how much I'm actually going to write, and I don't feel like typing in the edit box. So here we go:

Lasers:

Falco pulls out his gun and fires off a quick laser burst. He can fire a single shot as well as multiple shots in quick succession. The lasers themselves travel onward for an unknown period of time, and stun opponents on contact.

Lasers are without a doubt one of, if not the best tool Falco has for taking down opponents. They don't exactly deal much damage, but every little hit brings you that much closer to a KO. They don't do much hitstun either, but that's one of the best things about them. By keeping the opponent in one place, lasers do a fantastic job of comboing into other attacks, especially when combined with their other trait.

When lasers are fired at the right distance from the ground, Falco is able to hit the ground with no lag whatsoever, allowing him to immediately perform any action upon landing. Because of this, lasers should be fired from the air in almost every circumstance. The two most common methods of doing this are the SHL (Short Hopped Laser) and the SHDL (Short Hopped Double Laser). Both of these, when performed correctly, are great ways to implement the lasers and make getting to you a tough job for your opponent.

Lasers, when combined with the Phantasm, can turn Falco into a living nightmare for many characters, especially those without reflectors/absorbers. By utilizing both those tactics properly, Falco is able to fire lasers at the opponent until they get close, Phantasm away to create more distance, and then continue lasering. This can be done as a general strategy when you don't know the character matchup particularly well, as a method of stock preservation at higher percents, or as a way to scout out your opponent and learn their patterns.

Lasering from the ground should only be done in one situation, and that's Laserlocking. You can laserlock an opponent whenever they miss their opportunity to tech a fall. To perform the LLock, hit your opponent when they miss their tech and then keep firing grounded lasers until the stage comes to an end. If you're playing on a walled stage, you can laserlock the opponent against the wall for an infinite amount of time. This is a devestating technique, and is a great way to net free damage on your opponent. However, it can only be done on a flat stage, and its use is limited by the skill of your opponent.

I wrote a lot o_O

WaterTails

Smash Lord
Would lasers be, like, an all-purpose section that includes SHDLs, silent lasers, and stuff?

Also, you forgot a comma.
Lasers are without a doubt one of, if not the best, tool Falco has for taking down opponents.
Also, would it be worth mentioning the weird thing RAIN does with lasers (running off the stage, jumping back to the edge, and double-lasering on the way up)?

Edit: Since I have a post on this thread, I'll repost my examples of the ATs for anyone who has a capture card. http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=27492f3392998079d956df2962098fcb289b5d135419f5365be6ba49b5870170

The mistakes are totally intentional, I swear. >.>

Denzi

Smash Master
Also, would it be worth mentioning the weird thing RAIN does with lasers (running off the stage, jumping back to the edge, and double-lasering on the way up)?

LHDL (Ledge Hopped Double Lasers) are really good when you use 'em right.

So yes, I guess they should be in there.

Hawks go Caw

Smash Ace
"Lasers are without a doubt one of, if not the best, tools . . . ."

If you remove "if not the best" then you get, "Lasers are without a doubt one of tools," which isn't a sentence, meaning "if not the best" isn't a dependent clause so the commas are inappropriate. I think to make it proper English, you need to add a noun after "one of" like:

Lasers are, without a doubt, one of the top, if not the best, tools . . . .

B-Mon

Smash Journeyman
Ehhhh, I hate typing into an edit box, so I'm-a type it up here and you guys can copy/paste it in whenever and format it how you like.

Up+B
Firebird
-Description: Falco combusts into flames and after a moment of staying in place, he will charge in the direction that you are holding, hitting multiple times with the final hit knocking the opponent away. There are 16 different possible angles to Firebird.
-Summary: The Firebird is a rather poor special. There is a long start up time and the hit box does not come out as soon as you think it would. It also does not cover a lot of distance. It should never be used as an attack. Not even as a mixup, bait, or a mindgame. It can be predicted very easily; it is even easier to punish; it does not deal enough damage or knock back to warrant taking the risk of attacking with it; it does not KO. There are very few things that you should "never" do, and this is one of them.

The Firebird is also Falco's secondary option of vertical recovery, his first option being his jump. UpB should really only be used as a recovery when it is absolutely necessary, though the very rare mixup from phantasm is okay. Because of it's long start up time and short distance, it is easy to for opponents to edge hog when using the Firebird to recover from below.

When finished in the air, the Firebird will lead into free fall that can be DI'd very slightly forwards and slightly more backwards. Because of the greater amount of backwards DI, it is suggested that when recovering from below, you input the Firebird Up and away from the stage and then Firebird vertically so you have a chance of landing on the stage if the opponent edge hogs.

When finished parallel to the floor, Falco will land and you can act after a small amount of cool down. When "crashed" into the ground, Falco will bounce off and then land, increasing the amount of lag. However, if you crash into a slope, it may result in a Flamedash (link).

------

I don't know what else to put in other than damage statistics. Range? Stars? Frames?
Remember that if you hold the Control Stick down when firebirding you won't grab an edge. So if your going to aim it directly at an edge when you are above the edge you should press UpB, press down, then let go after Falco is flying down.

SHDL

Smash Rookie
I changed the skin on the account, not sure if anyone else will be effected by it, but no more advirtisements and thus faster loading times lol

Anyone know where the frame information is on the Phantasm? You know, the stuff that Pure got for us regarding it's entire animation.

If one person exits out of the account, will another person using the same account on another computer be logged out automatically as well? <_< If so, I am not typing on the edit box either anymore. *starts from scratch. . . for the 3rd time*

Yeah, anyone go make corrections or addtions to the phantasm bit.

nvm about the phantasm frame info.

Two corrections:

The duration of the move does matter, but only for horizontal knockback. The quicker the aerial the quicker you can double-jump, which decreases your momentum significantly.

Nair can be performed with the C-Stick. Just tap it lightly, diagonally. It's harder to do it spur of the moment than just slamming it in a specific direction, and Bair is better anyway, but it's still possible.

Anyway, here's the frame data for Phantasm. I'm kind of surprised nobody's done this yet. Let me know if there's anything else you guys want.

Grounded Phantasm:
Frame 1-16 - Start-up.
Frame 17 - "Ping" noise. Hitbox comes out. Press B to cancel at shortest possible distance.
Frame 18 - Press B to cancel at middle distance.
Frame 19 - Press B to cancel at longest distance.
Frame 20-54 - Cooldown.
Frame 55 - Other actions can be performed if the Phantasm was cancelled at any distance.
Frame 56-57 - Cooldown for uncancelled Phantasm.
Frame 58 - Other actions can be universally performed.

Perfect IAP
Frame 1-6 - Jump animation
Frame 7-22 - Start-up.
Frame 23 - "Ping" noise. Hitbox comes out. Press B to cancel at shortest possible distance.
Frame 24 - Press B to cancel at mid distance.
Frame 25 - Press B to cancel at longest distance.
Frame 26-43 - Cooldown.
Frame 44 - Other actions can be performed if the Phantasm was cancelled at the shortest possible distance.
Frame 45 - Other actions can be performed if the Phantasm was cancelled at mid distance.
Frame 46 - Other actions can be performed if the Phantasm was cancelled at the longest distance.
Frame 47-50 - Cooldown for uncancelled Phantasm.
Frame 51 - Other actions can be universally performed.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Falco combos arent usually that impressive.

Nevertheless I can edit, I have roughly 3-4 years of experience in both sony vegas and adobe after effects. Call me experienced.

WaterTails

Smash Lord
What did that SHDL fellow change for the skin? Hasn't it always been on Revolution?

Also, what all do we still need pictures for? What all needs to be written?

Also, reading the new stuff in the guide, is whoever wrote the specials sure you can wavebounce most of them? I think you can only wavebounce lasers, and possibly, firebirds, and you can't even B-reversal shines.

Edit: Does anyone know how second and third hits of jab combos stale? I wasn't sure what to work on for the guide, so I started taking notes on the "max launcher speed" of Falco's attacks and how they stale.

Edit 2: Denzi, I didn't really mean LHDLs. I kinda misdescribed it, but http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QijsuAnngSY&feature=channel_page has some good examples

Hawks go Caw

Smash Ace
Well, I edited the B-reversals and Wavebounce part. I know in general a lot of specials can be wavebounced, probably only those two for Falco. If you know more about it go ahead and fix it. I just edited it from what Kuro had because I'm pretty sure he had the two confused.

There's still some things in the guide that I'm not entirely sure are accurate in the move descriptions that I didn't change.

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
I didn't add it if it was under the Terms, I just CPed Bleachigo's post. ^^

I'll try to come up with a list of what we need still soon.

Hawks go Caw

Smash Ace
So let's get on topic yo:

It doesn't make sense to me that a single person should have the responsibility of writing up how to use Falco without first having the board discuss it. So why don't we discuss how to play Falco and try to be in depth? Input latuh.

Blad01

Smash Lord
Rest of the pictures I have :

Nair : http://i79.servimg.com/u/f79/11/29/77/54/nair10.jpg
Dair : http://i89.servimg.com/u/f89/11/29/77/54/dair10.jpg
Bair (Strong) : http://i89.servimg.com/u/f89/11/29/77/54/bair10.jpg
Bair (Weak) : http://i89.servimg.com/u/f89/11/29/77/54/bair210.jpg
Uair : http://i89.servimg.com/u/f89/11/29/77/54/uair10.jpg
Fair : http://i89.servimg.com/u/f89/11/29/77/54/fair10.jpg

Silent Laser : http://i89.servimg.com/u/f89/11/29/77/54/silent10.jpg

(Sorry, I'm late)

So apparently I don't have pictures for Dash Attack, Throws, Specials, and some other things (Ledge Attack). Well to be more exact I think I have them, but without the hitboxes...

(Oh, and apart from what I've already written, it's going to be hard for me to write anything else, since I have an other Smash project going on. But I will try to help as much as I can :)

[EDIT : I still would like credit though XD Also, Denzi, why did you replace my Falco heads ratings by a simple stars rating :'(]

Denzi

Smash Master
[EDIT : I still would like credit though XD Also, Denzi, why did you replace my Falco heads ratings by a simple stars rating :'(]
They were stars by the time I got there, I didn't know they were Falco heads. I might just change them back though =]

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
I replaced them, but feel free to change it. If only the the white background didn't show yo :(

Top Bottom