• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
9 days...9 days!9 DAYS!!!!

Ok...If Mewtwo is demoted to assist status or boss status(animated moves but not playable type of thing),that makes it the ONLY character to be cut while not being a clone and the ONLY demoted from playable to assist/boss...Just no.
Technically speaking, Mewtwo was already demoted in Brawl. He was made into a trophy. That's a lower status than being a Pokeball summon or a boss, really.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Precisely, I like to believe that I am 100% confident in Ridley's chance; however, when I come to this thread, I realize that is not true. There is a seed of doubt pertaining to Ridley, I cannot assert the same about Mewtwo. I am even bored with the sentiment of Mewtwo as the excitement of his inclusion has already worn off.
I envy your optimism. For a long time, I've had a sinking feeling we'll get a selection of WFT-esque 'surprise' newcomers.

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
but to do it the other way around is just hype suicide.
This, very much agreed, assuming he did say it. He likely did, but it's not unfeasible that the quote was made up or misunderstood. Even if he did say it, however, it could have been a spur-of-the-moment thing that he didn't think through. Maybe he meant just what he said and did not know whether Mewtwo would be in or not at the time, had an unfortunate bout of honesty. Maybe that and he then made himself put Mewtwo in because he realized later that he put his foot in his mouth and it would be suicidal (exaggeration) not to include him after saying that.

Morbi

Scavenger
This, very much agreed, assuming he did say it. He likely did, but it's not unfeasible that the quote was made up or misunderstood. Even if he did say it, however, it could have been a spur-of-the-moment thing that he didn't think through. Maybe he meant just what he said and did not know whether Mewtwo would be in or not at the time, had an unfortunate bout of honesty. Maybe that and he then made himself put Mewtwo in because he realized later that he put his foot in his mouth and it would be suicidal (exaggeration) not to include him after saying that.
Or maybe we could take what he said literally. Just maybe.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Even if he did say it, not including Mewtwo wouldn't really be a suicide of any kind. Sure there would be a backlash from Mewtwo's fans for 'falsely getting our hopes up' and other such complaints, but it would hardly affect Sakurai himself, since he neither confirmed nor denied anything. If Ridley's situation ends up being how it currently looks (stage boss), there will be similar complaints that won't mean anything at the end of the day.

I want Mewtwo in as much as any of you, but I have a very bad feeling about the possibility of his inclusion.

Metros

Smash Ace
NNID
metros2soul
I'm sure Mewtwo will be in. Because it's just going to be a massive kick in the face if he isn't. Sakurai didn't have to shout out, but he did, surely that's some sign. Not to forget how Greninja appeared in the direct as well. I know Ninja's are stealthy, but I didn't see any webbing between the fingers and the fingers themselves just looked flat. No wonder people thought it was Mewtwo. Mewtwo was supposed to be in every game so far as well. All we can do is wait. I'm already fed up of Sakurai's trolling though ugh...

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
There is a seed of doubt pertaining to Ridley, I cannot assert the same about Mewtwo. I am even bored with the sentiment of Mewtwo as the excitement of his inclusion has already worn off.
Such Hubris.

I see people here often use the "We are thinking about it" phrase as a guarantee of Mewtwo's inclusion, on the basis that it would be foolish to set up such speculation only to disappoint later. I myself have made a post supporting that line of thought.

However, we have to consider that perhaps Sakurai was being completely, utterly honest and literal. "We are thinking about it" effectively means "maybe." A maybe is not a yes.

Morbi

Scavenger
Such Hubris.

I see people here often use the "We are thinking about it" phrase as a guarantee of Mewtwo's inclusion, on the basis that it would be foolish to set up such speculation only to disappoint later. I myself have made a post supporting that line of thought.

However, we have to consider that perhaps Sakurai was being completely, utterly honest and literal. "We are thinking about it" effectively means "maybe." A maybe is not a yes.
Consideration that early in development or around the time when the roster was finalized is never a bad thing, especially as an interjection. He is literally stating something passive, but he is demonstrating assertive behavior... I wonder why? Why would he use PR language during a PR event? That is way more than most characters get. Mewtwo is the only character "considered" for each iteration of Smash, that is WAY more than any other character can say. As Mewtwo fans, we understand that consideration does not actualize. He was not in Smash 64, and he was not in Brawl. But again, look at another character that he "considered" to be not be plausible. Villager, the front-runner, included in the next entry. Consideration gets you far, why? Because you are at the top of his list, he does not just "consider" every goddamn Nintendo character. He was considered in Smash 64, it did not happen as there were tech limitations. Guess when we got Mewtwo? The very next game. People pretend like Mewtwo was maliciously omitted from the game, people have been laboring under the delusion that Lucario has replaced him. Mewtwo had literally nothing going for him from Melee to Brawl whereas now he has all the merit in the world. There are no more 3rd party surprises and the priority list is not stagnant. Proclaiming such is so utterly fallacious.

You can pretend that he is not in the game. You can be as pessimistic as you want. The signs are there, they are overt, they are observable. If you "believe" GRENINJA can make it... I hope to the gods that you think Mewtwo can make it. It is not over-confidence, it is logic. I apologize if that is difficult to discern.

Last edited:

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
Consideration that early in development or around the time when the roster was finalized is never a bad thing, especially as an interjection. He is literally stating something passive, but he is demonstrating assertive behavior... I wonder why? Why would he use PR language during a PR event? That is way more than most characters get. Mewtwo is the only character "considered" for each iteration of Smash, that is WAY more than any other character can say. As Mewtwo fans, we understand that consideration does not actualize. He was not in Smash 64, and he was not in Brawl. But again, look at another character that he "considered" to be not be plausible. Villager, the front-runner, included in the next entry. Consideration gets you far, why? Because you are at the top of his list, he does not just "consider" every goddamn Nintendo character. He was considered in Smash 64, it did not happen as there were tech limitations. Guess when we got Mewtwo? The very next game. People pretend like Mewtwo was maliciously omitted from the game, people have been laboring under the delusion that Lucario has replaced him. Mewtwo had literally nothing going for him from Melee to Brawl whereas now he has all the merit in the world. There are no more 3rd party surprises and the priority list is not stagnant. Proclaiming such is so utterly fallacious.

You can pretend that he is not in the game. You can be as pessimistic as you want. The signs are there, they are overt, they are observable. If you "believe" GRENINJA can make it... I hope to the gods that you think Mewtwo can make it. It is not over-confidence, it is logic. I apologize if that is difficult to discern.
The only problem with Greninja is the possibility Sakurai wanted one pokemon rep for X/Y, and he went with the new face. Also, Megas are already covered between Lucario and Charizard. He has other things going for him clearly, but his 'new found relevance' may no longer be one of them, especially in the face of the Hoenn remakes.

Morbi

Scavenger
The only problem with Greninja is the possibility Sakurai wanted one pokemon rep for X/Y, and he went with the new face. Also, Megas are already covered between Lucario and Charizard. He has other things going for him clearly, but his 'new found relevance' may no longer be one of them, especially in the face of the Hoenn remakes.
... His new-found relevance "may not longer be one of them" because it mattered when the roster was finalized, it mattered during the development of Pokemon X and Y ("possibility that Sakurai wanted one Pokemon representative for X and Y"). I agree, if Sakurai were deciding whether or not to add Mewtwo TODAY, you would be correct. However, that is not the case. Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby might not be completely disregarded, but at the same time, they are not going to take priority over X and Y as demonstrated by the stages and Pokeball Pokemon. Mega Evolutions are not material to this discussion. It does not matter if they are "already covered" because as you state "Lucario AND Charizard," that is clearly precedent.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225

I agree with you, but there is no reason to be upset.

Don't make me post the flying lawnmower again :p

Morbi

Scavenger
I still worry, you know.
Understandable, I speculate that he is your most wanted character for Smash 4? We always tend to be very pessimistic about our favorites, even if it is not logical. For instance, sometimes I fear for Ganondorf despite the notion that he is essentially guaranteed.

SketchFox7

Smash Journeyman
As long as Psystrike is in his moveset, maybe even replacing Shadow Ball, I fully support Mewtwo in the game (ok, even if he doesn't change at all I'll be happy with him in). With Mega Mewtwo Y as his final smash, maybe a Volt Tackle/Super Sonic style where he transforms and just flies around the stage and every hit does major damage. After all Mega Charizard X is with Charizard, where's Y's rep?

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
As long as Psystrike is in his moveset, maybe even replacing Shadow Ball, I fully support Mewtwo in the game (ok, even if he doesn't change at all I'll be happy with him in). With Mega Mewtwo Y as his final smash, maybe a Volt Tackle/Super Sonic style where he transforms and just flies around the stage and every hit does major damage. After all Mega Charizard X is with Charizard, where's Y's rep?
Theres only one attack that Qualifies for replacing shadow ball, and thats whatever this attack is

Last edited:

Xauric

Smash Rookie
NNID
Xauric
I only have circumstantial evidence at my disposal, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt, but Mewtwo's inclusion isn't very far fetched.

As MorbidAltruism stated, Mewtwo has been planned for every Smash game to date, but was cut due to either tech limitations (N64) or time restraints (Brawl). So Mewtwo would have been an N64 veteran. However, despite his low-tier status, Mewtwo was, and still is, one of the most popular characters in Melee and all of Smash Bros, despite only being in one game, and before then, only one movie.

Mewtwo has been given a lot of love recently, thanks to Pokemon X and Y. Mewtwo was one of two pokemon to get two mega evolutions, the other being the recently confirmed veteran, Charizard. Not Lucario, who was also confirmed, Mewtwo. Mewtwo was a poster child for mega evolutions, and Sakurai (praise be unto him) has made several notes to point out that Mega Evolutions are incredibly powerful in this game, as they "had player expectations to fulfill." Not to mention starring in yet another film, and playing a fairly substantial role in Origins, Mewtwo's popularity as a pokemon is rapidly increasing. Plus, to coincide with the release of OR/AS, if Mewtwo plays any kind of role whatsoever in the game, it'd make sense to include him to boost hype for the game, along with the other previously confirmed pokemon.

On top of all this, Sakurai (praise be unto him) has never demoted a previously playable character to a Pokemon/Assist Trophy/Stage Hazard. They either stay in the game, or are cut entirely, but keep their trophy in the game, as was evidenced with Mewtwo, Dr. Mario, Pichu, and Roy.

Now, does this mean he's for sure to return? No, again, this is all just circumstantial evidence. But the hype train that is SSB4 is doing a lot of things right, and going so far as to develop a Gamecube controller adapter for one game means they love their fans a lot, and are obviously listening. They know about the fan demand for Mewtwo, that's not a question. But right now, all we can do is sit and wait to see what happens at E3.

Last edited:

CamZilla94

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5086-2929-3596
Switch FC
SW 2709 2387 5005
I'm trying to catch him in Y currently. Any advice for making it easier? I have dusk balls, timer balls, and a Malamar that has Hypnosis.

Hot Uncle Sparky

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4356-0645-2703
I'm trying to catch him in Y currently. Any advice for making it easier? I have dusk balls, timer balls, and a Malamar that has Hypnosis.
Always start with a quick ball. If not, shower him with other balls while he's weak and asleep, that's kind of all there is.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
You pretty much have all you need...maybe a False Swipe Pokemon as well. Also, make sure your Pokemon are at a high enough level to survive Psychic and Aura Sphere, and have recovery options if for some reason your luck is bad and it keeps escaping.

C3CC

Smash Lord
I used Thunder Wave + False Swipe and kept throwing Poké Balls (yes, standard Poké Balls) until the 13th I threw caught it.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I used Thunder Wave + False Swipe and kept throwing Poké Balls (yes, standard Poké Balls) until the 13th I threw caught it.
I also used Thunder Wave and standard Poké Balls. I don't remember how many I used because I did many soft resets until I got a Timid one with an IV spread of 31/x/29/31/31/31...

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Mewtwo > Jigglypuff

Its either Jigglypuff or Mewtwo and hopefully its Mewtwo, Jigglypuff had its time, would loved having both if it wasn't for the fact we already have four Pokémon, I feel Mewtwo should be brought back and I really hope it happens, the Pokémon roster looks great so far, all we need is Mewtwo.

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
Mewtwo > Jigglypuff

Its either Jigglypuff or Mewtwo and hopefully its Mewtwo, Jigglypuff had its time, would loved having both if it wasn't for the fact we already have four Pokémon, I feel Mewtwo should be brought back and I really hope it happens, the Pokémon roster looks great so far, all we need is Mewtwo.
We had six in brawl, so why cut down the number of reps in the process of cutting a smash orrigional?

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
We had six in brawl, so why cut down the number of reps in the process of cutting a smash orrigional?
That is so true, reveal Jigglypuff at E3 just to get fans riled up, then they find out he's a secret unlockable character, priceless, and something Sakurai would totally do.

Also add Bowser Jr so we have 6 Mario characters, Pokémon can't have more characters than Mario, that's silly, same goes with the Zelda series, here's a idea put Ganondorf as the 5th Zelda character then have the monster Ganon a unlockable character, I would love having two different Ganons to play as.

The all balances out to Mario having 6, Zelda having 6, and Pokémon having 6, thus the number of the great dark lord Giratina himself.

Swift Fox

Smash Lord
While yes there were 6 reps in Brawl, but was that just Pokemon Trainer asked for too much reps (wasted programming resources)? Maybe transformation mechanic was dropped for this reason. With only 5 slots for SSB4 isn't out of possibility because there were only 4 slots in Brawl.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
And yet again:

Mewtwo raking in the green.
How many times is mewtwo going to premote stuff.

Im not buying deconfirmed if not shown at E3.

And i really want people to stop underrated mewtwo all because of the greninja trailer and the remakes of ruby and sapphire.

Gune

Smash Lord
How many times is mewtwo going to premote stuff.

Im not buying deconfirmed if not shown at E3.

And i really want people to stop underrated mewtwo all because of the greninja trailer and the remakes of ruby and sapphire.
Pfffft nobody is doubting Mewtwo because of Greninja or because of trumpet gen remakes(Which are being released after smash is) its more so people are thinking that jiggs and Mewtwo would have to compete for a spot (even though having both would put pokemon back to 6), besides how much sense would it make to have 2 out of the 3 Mega evolution poster boys?

SmashCast

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EpicPJ516
Pfffft nobody is doubting Mewtwo because of Greninja or because of trumpet gen remakes(Which are being released after smash is) its more so people are thinking that jiggs and Mewtwo would have to compete for a spot (even though having both would put pokemon back to 6), besides how much sense would it make to have 2 out of the 3 Mega evolution poster boys?
The announcement of those remakes actually makes Sceptile have a higher chance. I bet 50% of people when they saw that figure hanging down, they thought it was Mewtwo. I even thought that, I was like "What? Greninja?" but, I wasn't disappointed.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
For the last part

I think fox falco and wolf from brawl want a word with you about 3 same final smashes but works differently.

(If you mean this causes mewtwo to be deconfirmed)

I mean the big question is.

Why are people not like this about mewtwo and jigs.

I mean i think 6 poke reps will work.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Would also even things out considering Mewtwo would likely have the Y Mega Evo (it's the one that's been used primarily in promotion), thus it doesn't come off nearly as biased with Charizard only having his X Mega Evo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom