• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Smash Christmas? What we got for Christmas was Starfy deconfirmed, so I'd certainly hope something akin to that is not the case with E3. :p

Oh, and around $50 for the figure huh? Not bad, compared to the price you see of other such things.

Last edited:

ZombieVito

Smash Journeyman
E3 just doesn't feel like the right time to reveal Mewtwo. I can't really explain it, but the way I feel is this:

E3 can go one of two ways. Either we only get about 1-3 characters revealed, or we have a reveal on the level of the Smash Direct, with 5 or more. I'm inclined to believe it's going to be 1-3, max, since there's going to be so much to discuss, as far as game modes and finer details, as well as a segment for analysis on Charizard, Greninja, Ike, and whoever appears at E3. We already have so many Pokemon revealed, and assuming there are 6 Pokemon slots, Mewtwo is a huge surprise for us. It seems fitting to make us wait until the 3DS Smash launches. If they blow their wad too early, it makes the hyp for the 3DS version peter off too quickly. No, they're going to save some blockbusters for release week.

I'm all for being pleasantly surprised, trust me. I just think that we're most likely to see a couple more veterans and a newcomer. If Snake or Pac-Man are in, they're gonna show up.

Plus, there's the tournament blowout. That's going to be the main event for a lot of people. Together with the digital event, the Q&A with Sakurai, and all the rest, it's going to be Smash Christmas no matter who gets revealed.
1-3 reveals will be an insult, the direct had 5. I expect nothing less.

ProjectAngel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3179-5530-9222
E3 just doesn't feel like the right time to reveal Mewtwo. I can't really explain it, but the way I feel is this:

E3 can go one of two ways. Either we only get about 1-3 characters revealed, or we have a reveal on the level of the Smash Direct, with 5 or more. I'm inclined to believe it's going to be 1-3, max, since there's going to be so much to discuss, as far as game modes and finer details, as well as a segment for analysis on Charizard, Greninja, Ike, and whoever appears at E3. We already have so many Pokemon revealed, and assuming there are 6 Pokemon slots, Mewtwo is a huge surprise for us. It seems fitting to make us wait until the 3DS Smash launches. If they blow their wad too early, it makes the hyp for the 3DS version peter off too quickly. No, they're going to save some blockbusters for release week.

I'm all for being pleasantly surprised, trust me. I just think that we're most likely to see a couple more veterans and a newcomer. If Snake or Pac-Man are in, they're gonna show up.

Plus, there's the tournament blowout. That's going to be the main event for a lot of people. Together with the digital event, the Q&A with Sakurai, and all the rest, it's going to be Smash Christmas no matter who gets revealed.
With all the attention they're giving to Smash at E3, what you described there would just be a **** insult. This is BIG.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
So everyone here wants their presents early, huh? Don't want any under the tree... You know what your parents used to tell most of you at this point, right? It's too bad.

But we'll see.

If they reveal four vets and a newcomer, they will still likely have a few more characters left hidden before release. I won't complain if y'all are right, don't get me wrong. I'm just not getting my hopes up. There's plenty of juicy info to find out about the character we already have, without worrying too much about Mewtwo. He'll most likely show up when the time is right.

Haha... I'm getting flashbacks to all the elaborate ideas people had for reveal trailers for Mewtwo in Brawl... oh, that was a sad time.

Last edited:

ProjectAngel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3179-5530-9222
So everyone here wants their presents early, huh? Don't want any under the tree... You know what your parents used to tell most of you at this point, right? It's too bad.

But we'll see.

If they reveal four vets and a newcomer, they will still likely have a few more characters left hidden before release. I won't complain if y'all are right, don't get me wrong. I'm just not getting my hopes up. There's plenty of juicy info to find out about the character we already have, without worrying too much about Mewtwo. He'll most likely show up when the time is right.

Haha... I'm getting flashbacks to all the elaborate ideas people had for reveal trailers for Mewtwo in Brawl... oh, that was a sad time.
We don't want our presents early. Just when we expect them.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Hey man, I'm just saying, if I were Sakurai, I'd hold off until the 3DS release. A lot of people are saying it's coming out in August... I'm wondering if late July isn't more likely. But that's just me.

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
Hey man, I'm just saying, if I were Sakurai, I'd hold off until the 3DS release. A lot of people are saying it's coming out in August... I'm wondering if late July isn't more likely. But that's just me.
i can see sakurai doing that and late july seems more wanted and more smart then august cause one more month till school starts again and people are getting off vacations

Winchester7314

Smash Journeyman
Ok how many times do i have to tell you people female voice mewtwo is not a lock for ssb4 its still possible for a male voice.

Sakurai listens too the fans. (not demanding ones.) and im pretty sure he knows the fans would rather have a male voice mewtwo.
especially considering they made the right move keeping regular sonic, and not sonic boom version...sonic boom *cringes*

bobadz

Smash Ace
I like how people in this thread call Mewtwo a he despite the fact that

A: Mewtwo is genderless.

And B: Mewtwo could very well have a female voice.

Hope it's revealed at E3.

D

Deleted member

I'd prefer a male voice again just for the sake of preserving the sinister laugh he does during his taunt in Melee (I also think this would be the GREATEST way to introduce him during a trailer, just have him laugh off-screen and then change the camera to look at him). Hearing that laugh instilled permanently in me the idea that Mewtwo is a total badass (the insane amount of power and altogether sinister nature helps too).

SmashCast

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EpicPJ516
I think Mewtwo is gonna be back because he has 2 mega evolutions which could make SSB4 really interesting, and he is recent and relevant to Pokemon.

ProjectAngel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3179-5530-9222
I think Mewtwo is gonna be back because he has 2 mega evolutions which could make SSB4 really interesting, and he is recent and relevant to Pokemon.
So does Charizard, and yet his X form was the one chosen to be represented. I assume it'll be the same with Mewtwo and his more popular Y form.

I won't argue relevancy, though. Mewtwo introduced the world to Mega Evolution well before the term was even coined, and he's the only legendary Pokemon to Mega Evolve. He's also one of the most wanted veterans to return to Smash.

SmashCast

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EpicPJ516
So does Charizard, and yet his X form was the one chosen to be represented. I assume it'll be the same with Mewtwo and his more popular Y form.

I won't argue relevancy, though. Mewtwo introduced the world to Mega Evolution well before the term was even coined, and he's the only legendary Pokemon to Mega Evolve. He's also one of the most wanted veterans to return to Smash.
Yea, he has a really high chance of getting in. Sakurai said the Pokemon who make it into Smash are either really popular, or they appear in movies. Greninja got in, and we all know the huge fanbase for him. Mewtwo has appeared in a TON of movies and has a huge fanbase and a ton of people who want him in SSB4. So at this point, I think he's basically confirmed.

Steelia

Smash Champion

Not sure if I'd call his Y form the most "popular"... It's more well-known, for sure, but there's quite a lot of negativity surrounding it. Not doubting it'll be the one chosen as his potential Final Smash, though. By the way, Latios/Latias will also be able to Mega Evolve in the near future with the Ruby/Sapphire remakes underway, but Mewtwo was the first legendary... and pretty much the first in general to introduce the Mega Evolution concept.

SmashCast

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EpicPJ516
Not sure if I'd call his Y form the most "popular"... It's more well-known, for sure, but there's quite a lot of negativity surrounding it. Not doubting it'll be the one chosen as his potential Final Smash, though. By the way, Latios/Latias will also be able to Mega Evolve in the near future with the Ruby/Sapphire remakes underway, but Mewtwo was the first legendary... and pretty much the first in general to introduce the Mega Evolution concept.
What I was thinking for Mewtwo, if it gets announced, the X version would be in the Wii U version, and the Y version would be in the 3DS version; and vice versa.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
What I was thinking for Mewtwo, if it gets announced, the X version would be in the Wii U version, and the Y version would be in the 3DS version; and vice versa.
That would be a lot of awkward coding.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
We are almost there E3 is in 9 days, if mewtwo is shown. The sweet sound of victory.

Now if not shown that does not deconfirm him again because he probably wants to keep him hidden till after the release.

Steelia

Smash Champion
We are almost there E3 is in 9 days, if mewtwo is shown. The sweet sound of victory.

Now if not shown that does not deconfirm him again because he probably wants to keep him hidden till after the release.
The best case scenario is either he's shown as playable, or he's not shown at all. Being not shown at all, no hints at being a boss or Pokeball summon, only helps him in the long run (compared to chars like Ridley, whom Sakurai continues to tease).

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
The best case scenario is either he's shown as playable, or he's not shown at all. Being not shown at all, no hints at being a boss or Pokeball summon, only helps him in the long run (compared to chars like Ridley, whom Sakurai continues to tease).
Yeah, what Sakurai has done with Ridley is just... Well, it sucks for everyone. I definitely don't want him to say, "...and here's Mewtwo's shadow!"

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well, in all honesty, how likely is it that Mewtwo will ever officially get de-confirmed? How likely is it that he'd just end up as a random Pokeball Pokemon? I'd say the odds are very low, so the longer we go without seeing him, his chances of being in the game start to drop.

D

Deleted member

Well, in all honesty, how likely is it that Mewtwo will ever officially get de-confirmed? How likely is it that he'd just end up as a random Pokeball Pokemon? I'd say the odds are very low, so the longer we go without seeing him, his chances of being in the game start to drop.
This, considering Mewtwo's huge reputation, I would say he is either playable or simply not in the game at all. I imagine even Sakurai would understand that it would be a huge kick where it hurts to the giant Mewtwo fanbase to just demote him to a Pokeball Pokemon. After all, this would make Mewtwo the only character in Smash history who has actually been demoted from a playable character. Also, with regards to Pokeball Pokemon, I feel Sakurai would've come right out and disconfirmed him during the Smash Direct when he was discussing the addition of Master Balls for Legendary Pokemon (as he has done with disconfirming characters such as Wonder Red and Waluigi).

C3CC

Smash Lord
Oh, come on, guys. There's no way Mewtwo is demoted to a Poké Ball Pokémon. That's just impossible.

I think the fact that he's in the game is more than obvious. He's literally the most requested character for the game, even more than any other newcomer. That, and Sakurai already said "We're thinking about it". Do you think he would say that to say "Nah, I changed my mind" later? That would be a huge kick in the faces of all the people who want him in (including me). I don't think that he, even being the troll he is, is capable of that.

Honestly, I feel the perfect time to show him is at E3. I can see a huge, epic trailer for him. I can also see Ness, Captain Falcon, Wario and the Ice Climbers confirmed.

Last edited:

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Mewtwo is one of the most Popular and Demanded Character for SSBU/3DS no doubt he will be back! If Mewtwo isn't revealed at E3 rest assured he will be a Secret Character. Another thing to worry about is Mewtwo was Considered but Scrapped for Greninja.

ZombieVito

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai not putting him in after saying "we're thinking about it" at E3 would be awful on his part.

Giving hope to fans and then trolled them by not putting him is just not acceptable. And no it's not the same case as Ridley. Sakurai went out of his way to respond a question that wasn't even asked to him.

Mewtwo has to be in or I'm done with him. That kind of trolling is just stupid and childish.

D

Deleted member

You know, is there any proof that he actually said that? We just have people saying that he did. It's kinda like people saying Rosalina was an assist trophy in Brawl. I've always been quite skeptical of the "We're thinking about it" quote.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
You know, is there any proof that he actually said that? We just have people saying that he did. It's kinda like people saying Rosalina was an assist trophy in Brawl. I've always been quite skeptical of the "We're thinking about it" quote.
Our only proof seems to be the eyewitness report of a single journalist.

So, I suppose now that you mention it, that is a little flimsy. It could have been a lie to get page views. I don't think that's true, though.

Last edited:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Our only proof seems to be the eyewitness report of a single journalist.

So, I suppose now that you mention it, that is a little flimsy. It could have been a lie to get page views. I don't think that's true, though.
If you run a Google search, you get it on more than one site. So there's that. Still could just a be a rumor that got out of hand though, which is a very unpleasant thought.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I can't really say much on the matter, but if Sakurai saying he was thinking about Mewtwo was just a lie, I would think other people who were there would have said something about it not actually happening.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
I like how people in this thread call Mewtwo a he despite the fact that

A: Mewtwo is genderless.

And B: Mewtwo could very well have a female voice.

Hope it's revealed at E3.
It's just because we all associate "him" with his Pokemon: The First Movie incarnation, and Melee which followed suit.

Mewtwo's design is alien enough to be decidedly androgynous, and it would have been more accurate of the movie to provide a similarly alien voice-over, but I'm sure that the decision for Mewtwo to be voiced by a man came long before any animation of it was completed. Had it been otherwise, I think there would have been slight differences in how it was portrayed in the first movie. Mewtwo might have been lither, shorter, had softer angles on the face and chestplate, and might have had a calmer glare. There are differences between old Mewtwo and the new, female voiced Mewtwo, but I suspect that these are because the new Mewtwo matches more closely to Ken Sugimori's current designs, whereas The First Movie took liberties.

You mean or vice versa.

That would be a lot of awkward coding.
I don't see why. It's just a change of content, and it's not like they just copy-paste code.

Last edited:

C3CC

Smash Lord
Sakurai not putting him in after saying "we're thinking about it" at E3 would be awful on his part.

Giving hope to fans and then trolled them by not putting him is just not acceptable. And no it's not the same case as Ridley. Sakurai went out of his way to respond a question that wasn't even asked to him.

Mewtwo has to be in or I'm done with him. That kind of trolling is just stupid and childish.
Exactly this. That would be nothing but unacceptable. One just does not do those kinds of things to people who have hopes of something. Now, he didn't say it at E3, but at a different conference.

Here's the article for those who haven't read it: http://mynintendonews.com/2013/06/19/sakurai-is-considering-mewtwo-for-smash-bros-wii-u-3ds/

EDIT: Wait a second...

They declined to give a solid answer, but Sakurai then shouted out, from the audience, “We are thinking about it.”
HE WASN'T EVEN BEING ASKED DIRECTLY. He just decided to intervene. He might have as well just stayed quiet and not said anything. God, if Mewtwo is not in this game.................................

Last edited:

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Sakurai has been known to troll people's expectations. Him saying he's thinking about it does not mean Mewtwo is automatically in.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
Sakurai has been known to tease cuts, but has he ever been known to deliberately tease inclusions only to ultimately spit in the hopefuls' faces? Worrying the fans at first only to pull back the curtain and reassure them later is fine, even if it's a dishonest tactic, but to do it the other way around is just hype suicide.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
9 days...9 days!9 DAYS!!!!

Ok...If Mewtwo is demoted to assist status or boss status(animated moves but not playable type of thing),that makes it the ONLY character to be cut while not being a clone and the ONLY demoted from playable to assist/boss...Just no.

Morbi

Scavenger
Exactly this. That would be nothing but unacceptable. One just does not do those kinds of things to people who have hopes of something. Now, he didn't say it at E3, but at a different conference.

Here's the article for those who haven't read it: http://mynintendonews.com/2013/06/19/sakurai-is-considering-mewtwo-for-smash-bros-wii-u-3ds/

EDIT: Wait a second...

HE WASN'T EVEN BEING ASKED DIRECTLY. He just decided to intervene. He might have as well just stayed quiet and not said anything. God, if Mewtwo is not in this game.................................
Precisely, I like to believe that I am 100% confident in Ridley's chance; however, when I come to this thread, I realize that is not true. There is a seed of doubt pertaining to Ridley, I cannot assert the same about Mewtwo. I am even bored with the sentiment of Mewtwo as the excitement of his inclusion has already worn off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom