• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
3 weeks til E3! If Mewtwo isn't revealed I'm starting a riot!!!!Anyone in?

Gnarleysquid

Smash Apprentice
3 weeks til E3! If Mewtwo isn't revealed I'm starting a riot!!!!Anyone in?
I definitely won't riot, but I'll be a little nervous – although a part of me still feels like they may keep Mewtwo's inclusion a secret. I'm just more stoked because I'm lucky enough to be going there to cover stuff for Game Rant. REALLY amped to see/experience what Ninty has planned for the series... and Mewtwo, of course!

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
No need to riot, he is in the game; even if they don't reveal him at e3. Don't worry, friend.
Right....secret characters so I won't know til like a week after the 3ds version releases...I hate this waiting!
At least I got Greninja and Charizard for pokeness if he's not in.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
For Mewtwo's reveal trailer, I'm imagining a Legendary Battle theme a la Origins.

But there's a little piece of me holding out for this. Oh man if they revealed Mewtwo with this theme playing in the background I'd probably explode.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Secret? Nah, I'm betting they'll show Mewtwo as one of the first reveals at E3 just to start the show off right and with tons of hype.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Just had a thought. For Mewtwo's reveal/trailer, I'd love to hear this theme again in it. I've always considered it Mewtwo's unofficial theme.
Its possible i mean for a character most wanted to come back.

By the way the biggest reason i feel mewtwo will be back is... I feel like sakurai had him ready the whole time near the begining, i mean mewtwo was the most requested and trying to reduce the hopes for mewtwo on purpose.

Gnarleysquid

Smash Apprentice
Its possible i mean for a character most wanted to come back.

By the way the biggest reason i feel mewtwo will be back is... I feel like sakurai had him ready the whole time near the begining, i mean mewtwo was the most requested and trying to reduce the hopes for mewtwo on purpose.
Yeah, you know the character is highly requested when he gets name dropped by members of the press during a Pokemon X and Y roundtable. You know he's definitely a desired addition when the creator of Super Smash Bros. then jumps up from the audience to address the question personally – likely in a bid to prevent a potential leak from those at The Pokemon Company.

Sakurai knows what the fans want, he's probed for desired characters, gameplay tweaks, etc.. Unless Nintendo is already planning on some big DLC offerings, there's just no way they'll give Mewtwo the cold shoulder again.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Yeah, you know the character is highly requested when he gets name dropped by members of the press during a Pokemon X and Y roundtable. You know he's definitely a desired addition when the creator of Super Smash Bros. then jumps up from the audience to address the question personally – likely in a bid to prevent a potential leak from those at The Pokemon Company.

Sakurai knows what the fans want, he's probed for desired characters, gameplay tweaks, etc.. Unless Nintendo is already planning on some big DLC offerings, there's just no way they'll give Mewtwo the cold shoulder again.
Agreed, it seems too unlikely, especially with all the love he's received as of late.

Nitric Acid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Typpihappo
3DS FC
3308-5683-8969
How about some jazztwo for the Mewtwo.

Cool, calm, calculating.... Smooth.

Were SSB4 a slow-paced game, I'd be all over that. (In terms of taste, I am all over that.)

However, Smash is a fast-paced fighting game at heart (although obviously needs strategic thinking at high levels), I feel what should be highlighted instead of Mewtwo's calm and calculating side is his vicious, ruthless nature. Therefore, my pick for his theme would absolutely be this.

Not only is it relevant due to its recent use, it's fast-paced enough and brings the listener back to the birth of Mewtwo, the first generation. And since Sakurai said there won't be as many remixes this time around, it's almost a natural fit.
The next one is another valid candidate, being recent (in a major way) and fast-paced:

Although they'd have to modify the sound a bit for the Wii U.
I'm pretty sure they're using some form of the original major battle theme if Mewtwo's in! They might use the X/Y Kanto theme just for the heck of it on Prism Tower anyway.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
...I still can't believe someone suggested nerfing Mewtwo's throws. That was his selling point, if you ask me...
That was pretty much the only thing that Mewtwo excelled at the best. It would be a very stupid move to make Mewtwo even worse than how it was treated in Melee.

On the other hand, we've seen how bad Zelda is in Brawl, despite all the attack buffs that she received.

Nitric Acid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Typpihappo
3DS FC
3308-5683-8969
That was pretty much the only thing that Mewtwo excelled at the best. It would be a very stupid move to make Mewtwo even worse than how it was treated in Melee.

On the other hand, we've seen how bad Zelda is in Brawl, despite all the attack buffs that she received.
I wouldn't call her bad per se. Getting her kick's sweet spot was rather easy and she had pretty strong smashes. I'm worried how she'll fare without her transformation, but I hope she receives some buffs to compensate.

I'm sure Mewtwo retains his strong throws, assuming he's in. Those were such a major part of his gameplay, along with his aerials. If they nerf his throws, I'm pretty sure they'll buff his moves or give him another projectile in return.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I would say that they should buff his forward throw so that it can't be DIed out of (I envision something similar to his PM f-throw). I would also like to see some tweaks to Confusion because one of the major problems with it in Melee was that the opponent could attack out of it before the move's frames ended completely making it essentially useless outside of reflecting projectiles

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well for mewtwo its this.

We get him at E3.

Or if we don't get him at E3 we might have to wait for another day after the 3ds release.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I dunno. I don't care for that theme too much. Seems to be mildly dissonant for the purpose of building tension in the player, and yet... it just sounds half-done. I guess that's the N64 sound font talking.

It's been so long since I last saw Pokemon the First Movie... I can hardly recall any of the music. But I like this a lot better.

Oh man, now this has some swag to it. Like.... I would chill out to this theme at my house. Just put this on loop for a while, sit in a comfy chair, and eat some nachos.

Oh man, that Origins remix is HYPE. LOVE THE VIOLIN. And the untz. Hard to go wrong with untz. And of course the X&Y theme is great, and is likely to be in the game, anyway.

Last edited:

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
For Mewtwo's reveal trailer, I'm imagining a Legendary Battle theme a la Origins.

But there's a little piece of me holding out for this. Oh man if they revealed Mewtwo with this theme playing in the background I'd probably explode.
Probably not going to happen. The song was never in the Japanese version of the movie. It was added to international releases because 4Kids! or Warner Bros thought it would be better for western audiences. Plus I don't think Smash Bros will use anime-original music even if it originated in the Japanese version.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Probably not going to happen. The song was never in the Japanese version of the movie. It was added to international releases because 4Kids! or Warner Bros thought it would be better for western audiences. Plus I don't think Smash Bros will use anime-original music even if it originated in the Japanese version.
I know that this wouldn't be used.

I just love the song and said that I would be really happy if it was, but I don't expect it.

Gnarleysquid

Smash Apprentice
Since Mewtwo would technically be a veteran do you guys think he'll receive a trailer if he comes back? Admittedly, Charizard was featured in Greninja's reveal, but his inclusion was more of a means of confirming his return after the departure of Pokemon Trainer – plus he shared it with a newcomer.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a CGI trailer dedicated to Mewtwo, but I could just as easily see Mewtwo appear as a secret character sans intro footage. Thoughts?

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
Since Mewtwo would technically be a veteran do you guys think he'll receive a trailer if he comes back? Admittedly, Charizard was featured in Greninja's reveal, but his inclusion was more of a means of confirming his return after the departure of Pokemon Trainer – plus he shared it with a newcomer.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a CGI trailer dedicated to Mewtwo, but I could just as easily see Mewtwo appear as a secret character sans intro footage. Thoughts?
Eh, he might technically be a veteran but he's not like other veterans, he's a special case (granted he probably is a secret character if he is back) and he's DEFINITELY hype enough to get his own reveal.

D

Deleted member

I think it'd be really cool if they did a multi-character trailer like they did with the Greninja reveal when they showed both him and Charizard off. Given how huge of an event E3 is and how much hype a Mewtwo reveal carries, I imagine that Mewtwo will be integrated into one of the essentially inevitable newcomer trailers (Personally, I think a villain trailer with Mewtwo, Ganondorf and Ridley would be amazing).

Morbi

Scavenger

Sonic had somewhat of a trailer, I could see the same applying to Mewtwo; ESPECIALLY, if he gets an overhaul. Or as The Soulless One asserted, a mutli-character trailer. I mean, the notion that he wasn't in Brawl is probably enough to warrant a trailer in and of itself.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Sonic had somewhat of a trailer, I could see the same applying to Mewtwo; ESPECIALLY, if he gets an overhaul. Or as The Soulless One asserted, a mutli-character trailer. I mean, the notion that he wasn't in Brawl is probably enough to warrant a trailer in and of itself.
It just occurred to me that they gave Charizard a grander trailer than Sonic had. I mean, Charizard was part of a formal CGI trailer, and even got the same kind of banner that newcomers get. Sonic just got gameplay footage. Kind of weird, in retrospect.

Morbi

Scavenger
It just occurred to me that they gave Charizard a grander trailer than Sonic had. I mean, Charizard was part of a formal CGI trailer, and even got the same kind of banner that newcomers get. Sonic just got gameplay footage. Kind of weird, in retrospect.
Not necessarily; Charizard had a huge game-play/mechanic alteration during a Smash specific Direct. Such a huge change warranted the trailer as Charizard is technically a newcomer; Pokemon Trainer was our Brawl veteran. Not only that, but it was a nice way to introduce our "real" newcomer.

Sonic was a victim of circumstance.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I would love a villains trailer, and in fact I had considered it recently.

My favorite Mewtwo trailer idea involves Samus approaching the Baby Metroid capsule only for Mewtwo to be inside, taking her by surprise as he cracks the glass and breaks out (Mewtwo Strikes Back!) a la first movie. Then he stares down Samus and Lucario jumps in front of her ready to challenge his foe.

Really I think that trailer would be incredible. And you could throw Ridley in there if Mewtwo isn't enough.

Personally I think that Mewtwo is deserving enough to warrant his own trailer.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Psystrike for a final smash.
bring back the charge psy ball and the small psy balls when you throw someone.

And this psy blade as a melee strike.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Were SSB4 a slow-paced game, I'd be all over that. (In terms of taste, I am all over that.)

However, Smash is a fast-paced fighting game at heart (although obviously needs strategic thinking at high levels), I feel what should be highlighted instead of Mewtwo's calm and calculating side is his vicious, ruthless nature. Therefore, my pick for his theme would absolutely be this.

Not only is it relevant due to its recent use, it's fast-paced enough and brings the listener back to the birth of Mewtwo, the first generation. And since Sakurai said there won't be as many remixes this time around, it's almost a natural fit.
The next one is another valid candidate, being recent (in a major way) and fast-paced:

Although they'd have to modify the sound a bit for the Wii U.
I'm pretty sure they're using some form of the original major battle theme if Mewtwo's in! They might use the X/Y Kanto theme just for the heck of it on Prism Tower anyway.
You forget this often overlooked gem:

And I feel bad for saying/thinking it, but I wouldn't want anything other than Sycamore's theme to be the alternate song on Lumiose.

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
I would love a villains trailer, and in fact I had considered it recently.

My favorite Mewtwo trailer idea involves Samus approaching the Baby Metroid capsule only for Mewtwo to be inside, taking her by surprise as he cracks the glass and breaks out (Mewtwo Strikes Back!) a la first movie. Then he stares down Samus and Lucario jumps in front of her ready to challenge his foe.

Really I think that trailer would be incredible. And you could throw Ridley in there if Mewtwo isn't enough.

Personally I think that Mewtwo is deserving enough to warrant his own trailer.
Lucario and Mewtwo both Mega Evolve, then, right as they're flying at each other about to duke it out, Jigglypuff flies up in between them and uses rest. They both go flying. Boom, two veteran reveals in one.

AshFlash

Smash Rookie

I agree, if Mewtwo is back he will be a secret character.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I think it'd be really cool if they did a multi-character trailer like they did with the Greninja reveal when they showed both him and Charizard off. Given how huge of an event E3 is and how much hype a Mewtwo reveal carries, I imagine that Mewtwo will be integrated into one of the essentially inevitable newcomer trailers (Personally, I think a villain trailer with Mewtwo, Ganondorf, K. Rool, and Ridley would be amazing).
Fixed.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
something already posted but this should remind are selves to hope for E3

of this battle happening in ssb4
this is a English version of the battle

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
something already posted but this should remind are selves to hope for E3

of this battle happening in ssb4
this is a English version of the battle
Technically, that possibility has already been de-confirmed due to the Pokemon Trainer being cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom