• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Just because the games were just announced doesn't mean they just started being developed. They're coming out in November, therefore they probably started development around the same time as SSB4 did. It's entirely possible that Sceptile (or another Hoenn rep) have been planned since Smash started development to advertise these games, that will be releasing before/around the time SSB4 Wii U releases (They're scheduled for November 2014, SSB4 is just "Winter 2014").
You have to ask yourself though, would Sakurai really want to or even need to advertise Pokemon in Smash. The only time he's done that so far was with Roy and FE was relatively unknown to the entire Western world at that point. Pokemon is an already super popular franchise worldwide. It's also very possible that Sakurai had already chosen his Pokemon reps before he knew about the Hoenn games. They only just made their first announcement last week and even that wasn't much so unless he was informed about them from a much earlier date, I don't see him looking to characters from those games, especially when we know that they could be coming out 3-5 months after Smash on 3DS does. He said he looks at what Pokemon are popular. Sceptile isn't even going to be relevant again until after these games are released.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
You have to ask yourself though, would Sakurai really want to or even need to advertise Pokemon in Smash. The only time he's done that so far was with Roy and FE was relatively unknown to the entire Western world at that point. Pokemon is an already super popular franchise worldwide. It's also very possible that Sakurai had already chosen his Pokemon reps before he knew about the Hoenn games. They only just made their first announcement last week and even that wasn't much so unless he was informed about them from a much earlier date, I don't see him looking to characters from those games, especially when we know that they could be coming out 3-5 months after Smash on 3DS does. He said he looks at what Pokemon are popular. Sceptile isn't even going to be relevant again until after these games are released.
I think Game Freak takes those decisions, not Sakurai, just like how IIRC Intelligent Systems decided to add Roy in Melee.

SketchFox7

Smash Journeyman
It's ultimately up to Sakurai, but he definitely listens to developers in regards to their characters. Snake would have never made it into the game if that wasn't true. When OR/AS were entering development I wouldn't doubt that Sakurai was approached about adding a Gen III rep in order to generate hype for their release.

Morbi

Scavenger
It's ultimately up to Sakurai, but he definitely listens to developers in regards to their characters. Snake would have never made it into the game if that wasn't true. When OR/AS were entering development I wouldn't doubt that Sakurai was approached about adding a Gen III rep in order to generate hype for their release.
I wouldn't even be surprised if Sakurai was approached about adding one of their most prominent Pokemon in order to generate hype.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
We have, what, 27 more days until E3? Maybe Sceptile bros will find their own thread by then, when we hopefully get another Pokemon reveal to put some of this pointless hand-wringing to rest, one way or the other.

That said.

Exactly. Say what you like, Sceptile IS NOT anywhere near as popular or well-known as Mewtwo is. There is zero promotion of Sceptile going on. ORAS isn't coming out for at LEAST 3 months after Smash 3DS. At least Greninja is in the most recent Diancie movie, and is extremely popular in game usage. Sceptile isn't even a popular Pokemon on XY WiFi.

And DAMN I find myself replying to yet another Sceptile post in the Mewtwo thread. Ugh. Why don't you guys pester the Jigglypuff supporters, eh?

Please Sakurai, make it stop.

Gnarleysquid

Smash Apprentice
Getting back on topic, if Mewtwo were to appear as a playable fighter, would you prefer it appear in a trailer/pre-release announcement OR would you rather have the character be a surprise combatant?

Steelia

Smash Champion
Getting back on topic, if Mewtwo were to appear as a playable fighter, would you prefer it appear in a trailer/pre-release announcement OR would you rather have the character be a surprise combatant?
Would rather know beforehand. At least for me, depending how the final roster shakes out will determine whether I'll buy the 3DS Smash. Mewtwo in particular could easily make or break a pre-order.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I'll take my cookies now, thank you.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
A character as big as Mewtwo, who could easily make or break potential purchases for the game, shouldn't be kept hidden away like that. Save that for the pleasantly surprising characters, not the most desired character in the world.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
A character as big as Mewtwo, who could easily make or break potential purchases for the game, shouldn't be kept hidden away like that. Save that for the pleasantly surprising characters, not the most desired character in the world.
Probably an E3 reveal

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
I want him to have a trailer but it will probably be a secret character.Also does anyone know if Mewtwo was revealed before Melee came out?

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
I can understand Sakurai not including Ridley but if he doesn't bring back Mewtwo, it will be irritating and will bother me every time I play Smash Bros. Wii U, at least till I get used to it.

Who in their right mind would ignore a most wanted character that was the most unique character in Melee?

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Mewtwo being at E3 would be so hype. Still, with 4 Pokemon characters already revealed there's a strong chance that he'll be a hidden character.

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
If Charizard is there, evolving into Charizard X, then we'd need a Mega Y-Evolution. Mewtwo anyone?

Last edited:

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
I'd much rather see a confirmation sooner rather than later, as I won't be buying the game until I know the full roster.

However, it is pointless to desire a reveal before the game's release. Sakurai has expressed his desire to keep more fighters completely secret, and though Mewtwo's popularity makes him the perfect candidate to hype the game with it also makes him just as tempting to keep hidden as a tease. Furthermore, with so many Pokemon revealed already it would seem unbalanced to unveil more so soon. As I've said before, I doubt Jigglypuff will be left as the sole unrevealed Pokemon.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I'd much rather see a confirmation sooner rather than later, as I won't be buying the game until I know the full roster.

However, it is pointless to desire a reveal before the game's release. Sakurai has expressed his desire to keep more fighters completely secret, and though Mewtwo's popularity makes him the perfect candidate to hype the game with it also makes him just as tempting to keep hidden as a tease. Furthermore, with so many Pokemon revealed already it would seem unbalanced to unveil more so soon. As I've said before, I doubt Jigglypuff will be left as the sole unrevealed Pokemon.
Jigglypuff was the sole unrevealed Pokemon for Brawl. :/

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
OK big round of applause to @ Morbi Morbi

For this

Evidence for Mewtwo:

1. Mewtwo is one of the most prominent Pokemon; he is obviously the most prevalent legendary to appear in the franchise lore as well. Fun fact, he is the first Pokemon to appear in the Pokemon opening.

2. This is an aspect of notion one, but Mewtwo has made the most major appearances in Pokemon movies, he has appeared as a main character in 2. The most recent being: Genesect the Legend Awakened which was released right around when many believe the roster to be finalized.

3. Mewtwo's Mega Evolution was the first to be revealed, this alludes to his marketing importance, Gamefreak clearly understands that he is a fan-favorite that incites hype.

4. Mewtwo is the most requested character for Smash in general; requests don't yield much on their own, but they are a good indicator of popularity.

5. Sakurai has actually addressed the prospect of playable Mewtwo, he was one of the only characters Sakurai has ever gone out of his way to mention. We might discern this as interest in the character.

6. Speaking of interest in the character, Mewtwo was planned for every single iteration of Smash, obviously outside circumstances prevented two of those appearances; nevertheless, his demand is ever so present.

7. Mewtwo was almost finished in Brawl according to the code, as such; we should objectively treat him as though he was a Melee veteran. He is just as safe as any other Melee veteran. Mewtwo was to be included from Melee to Brawl, there was LITERALLY nothing going for him, but he was still planned. As of current, from Brawl to Smash 4, he is the overt marketing Pokemon.

8. Pokemon Origins; it was evidence for solo Charizard, it is evidence for Mewtwo. Mewtwo was a big part of this promotional special, speaking about specials, he was present in three. This is more than any other Pokemon.

9. He returns as a primary legendary in Pokemon X and Y; people used to argue that Lucario's Mega Evolution didn't matter, but it obviously did. Mewtwo is in his traditional pose in a cave. Something iconic to his character in regards to the game. This promotes the best-selling 3DS title. One might argue that X and Y are already represented through Greninja and Mega Evolutions. But Mewtwo is still an aspect of the game.

10. No other Pokemon is as important and unique; there are no more ideal choices (aside from Meowth, who was de-confirmed). He is the only missing piece, a piece that was never intended to be missing. The priority list is not stagnant. Believe it or not, things change in 6 years. Clearly, for Mewtwo, things have changed for the better. His staggering importance is just as observable as it was when he was in his prime.

11. The Greninja trailer was not the proverbial “nail in the coffin,” it is actually evidence in favor of Mewtwo. Greninja was missing his webbed appendages and his pelvic fin, it is apparent that the trailer was intended to be ambiguous and incite suspicions about Mewtwo.

12. He follows Sakurai’s arbitrary criteria. The character would obviously correlate to more sales, the character is vastly unique, the character contributes to the game’s balance, and the character fits into the Smash Brothers Universe. It is established that he closely follows this criteria as he was intended for every title; present in one, and he is clearly the definitive example of Sakurai’s criteria.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
A lot of good points there. Thanks for making that post @ Morbi Morbi .

The fun fact of him being the first to appear in the opening only applies to international releases. In the Japanese opening, it was Charizard. :p
For 11, Mewtwo doesn't learn Water Shuriken, so it's still Greninja. Plus his webbed appendages could have been shadowed as well...

Really, if he doesn't make it in again, I'm going to assume it's because of certain circumstances again...

Morbi

Scavenger

The fun fact of him being the first to appear in the opening only applies to international releases. In the Japanese opening, it was Charizard. :p
For 11, Mewtwo doesn't learn Water Shuriken, so it's still Greninja. Plus his webbed appendages could have been shadowed as well...

Really, if he doesn't make it in again, I'm going to assume it's because of certain circumstances again...
Mewtwo has always played second fiddle to Charizard, hasn't he? But what are these certain circumstances? I doubt another 3rd party character is going to take up last minute development time.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Mewtwo has always played second fiddle to Charizard, hasn't he? But what are these certain circumstances? I doubt another 3rd party character is going to take up last minute development time.
Certain circumstances meant not enough development time. I guess it could also mean not enough space on the disc, but I highly doubt that would be the case unless they added more cutscenes than SSE for some reason.

Morbi

Scavenger

This is the first time that I met someone with that mentality. Most people here would just buy the game regardless of the roster. Haha.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
For myself, if Mewtwo isn't in Smash 4, I'd still buy it and play it. It's not a deal breaker. But his inclusion could be a deal maker!

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
My biggest problem with Mewtwo being a surprise inclusion is that I won't get the chance to be surprised by it. With the way media is a part of my life, I'd stumble upon it online before I would get the chance to actually be surprised by stumbling upon him in the game. I'd prefer he be reveal before the game came out, that way I can hype over a trailer. It'd be a more enjoyable experience.

Steelia

Smash Champion
My biggest problem with Mewtwo being a surprise inclusion is that I won't get the chance to be surprised by it. With the way media is a part of my life, I'd stumble upon it online before I would get the chance to actually be surprised by stumbling upon him in the game. I'd prefer he be reveal before the game came out, that way I can hype over a trailer. It'd be a more enjoyable experience.
This reminds me a bit of Sakurai's reasoning for not having another SSE-esque adventure mode. People will just post all the cutscenes and such online anyway, spoiling the surprise. What good is it to have the big guns like Mewtwo hidden away? I love surprises as much as the next person... but in this day and age, it's near impossible to keep anything a secret. People will leak things, confirmed info will be spread all over, images of characters posted on avatars and sigs. And it looks like there are a few people here who will only get the game(s) early depending on how the final roster turns out.

Part of me wants to have Mewtwo kept a secret in the game, just for the satisfaction and surprise of seeing him. But another part of me just wants to see him confirmed, so not to relive the disappointment of SSBB.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
This reminds me a bit of Sakurai's reasoning for not having another SSE-esque adventure mode. People will just post all the cutscenes and such online anyway, spoiling the surprise. What good is it to have the big guns like Mewtwo hidden away? I love surprises as much as the next person... but in this day and age, it's near impossible to keep anything a secret. People will leak things, confirmed info will be spread all over, images of characters posted on avatars and sigs. And it looks like there are a few people here who will only get the game(s) early depending on how the final roster turns out.

Part of me wants to have Mewtwo kept a secret in the game, just for the satisfaction and surprise of seeing him. But another part of me just wants to see him confirmed, so not to relive the disappointment of SSBB.
I remember when Brawl came out in Japan, i was in school and one of my friends was in the computer lab and printed a picture of the finished character select screen and was parading around. So i can understand where Sakurai's point. But having unlockables is wonky if you're going to show everything. Like how when you booted up Brawl and Sonic and Snake weren't there right away. It was like, oh. Um, okay.

Lautsuu~

Smash Journeyman

I understand where you are coming from with that, but...didn't Water Shuriken look...suspiciously like something else?

As a massive Pokémon and Smash Bros fan, I desperately want Mewtwo in the game, as I never got the chance to play Melee, embarrassingly enough...

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I understand where you are coming from with that, but...didn't Water Shuriken look...suspiciously like something else?
Not really...I saw the ninja hand sign first. Also, hearing water made it less likely to be Mewtwo for me.

Morbi

Scavenger

As a massive Pokémon and Smash Bros fan, I desperately want Mewtwo in the game, as I never got the chance to play Melee, embarrassingly enough...
You could always try Project M. Mewtwo is also in that game, he even has that badass alternative costume from the original movie. Not only that, but he isn't even bottom.

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
I still dont get why people think 6 reps is too much, just because it would outnumber the Mario reps. Im certian Mario will have a secret 6th char, it dosnt make sense to reveal all the Mario characters from the get-go (other than being Nintendo's poster franchise I guess).

Even then Mario still has the extended franchises and yes Yoshi, DK, and Wario are there own frachises but still appear in the Mario games so I classify them as pseudo Mario reps.

Finally, with Jiggs being a lock, every Pokemon besides Lucario will have a rival/counterpart.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I consider Mario reps to expand past only the people with Mushroom icons. Spin-offs or otherwise, the other 2 regulars makes 7, while the DK reps technically make 9. Pokemon already had more than Mario with 6, and has had 9 total reps ever, rivaling even the expanded number. That being said, this isn't the thread to discuss that can of worms.

I actually thought the blue energy forming was Aura Sphere at first. Which Mewtwo also learns.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Ehh, I wouldn't consider Pikachu and Jigglypuff being rivals/counterparts. Same with Mewtwo and Lucario. They have similarities, but you can find similarities among many Pokemon. So for me, rival/counterparts would be things like version exclusives or outright stated in Pokedex rivals like Seviper/Zangoose or Electabuzz/Magmar. But then there are counterparts for each generation like regional birds, starters, electric mouse...etc. I guess I don't really accept Mewtwo and Lucario being rivals or counterparts because one is a legendary and another is a popular Pokemon that is much easier to obtain even if there is one official art I can think of where Mega Mewtwo Y battles Mega Lucario...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom